I'm disappointed that I won't get to watch McDavid in the playoffs

Smokescreen

Apr 9, 2019
Nonsense, he was great in the 2017 playoffs (except on faceoffs).

I understand why younger fans think the sky is falling if a superstar misses the playoffs a few times. I mean, I get it. If you've been watching the NHL for seven years and McDavid missed the playoffs most of the past four years, it seems like forever. But it's not unusual, or even necessarily a big deal. (Let's pause to remember McDavid is barely 22.)

Steve Yzerman's team had losing records each of his first four seasons. In his third year, they were .250 and last overall. In his first eight years, the Red Wings had one season over .500. Then, when his team started getting really good, he was considered a borderline playoff choker who "couldn't get it done" from about age 28 to 32. His legacy sure seems good now, though.

Mario Lemieux's team missed the playoffs five of his first six seasons. That means McDavid and the Oilers would have to miss two more seasons in a row to match Lemieux's team's playoff futility. Lemieux sure seems a playoff legend now, though!

Joe Sakic's teams records in his first four seasons: .381, .194, .288, .325. That's obviously far, far worse than Edmonton now. Just like Mario, he missed the playoffs five of his first six seasons.

So, everybody chill. McDavid's legacy is already great and will only improve with playoff appearances/success. He might be around for another 15 years. He's got time.

Ah, please tell me how Nicholson is going to build a dynasty like the one that was built around Lemieux. Living in lala land, yes McDavid will have a chance after he leaves. No first overall picks to bail your team out this time, the darkness is calling again.

Ty Dolla

Jan 1, 2018
Yeah I feel no empathy for McDavid or anything Edmonton. They can toil in the NHL basement for eternity or until the NHL institutes relegation. Then they're free to toil and suffer in the AHL basement.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Definitely, I started as a Lemieux fan, being in Pittsburgh made me, if anything, like the Steelers and Pirates after the fact. Lemieux is why I got into the Penguins in the early 80's.

You mean, when they were constantly missing the playoffs early in Lemieux's career. So you're saying Lemieux had no intelligence to hitch his wagon to that team when he was putting up insane numbers and missing the playoffs? Or did you mean the fans are idiots for hitching themselves to that wagon, like you did in the 80's?

We've had a real bad decade, no doubt there, but there's been a lot of noise generated in the last two years relating McDavid's situation back to Lemieux's. Doesn't make a lot of sense for you to be condescending to one player/group but be proud as a peacock about you're own player/group when it's the same situation.

Neither of our respective teams have had the rosiest of histories, what with our decade of darkness and your bankruptcy.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
You mean, when they were constantly missing the playoffs early in Lemieux's career. So you're saying Lemieux had no intelligence to hitch his wagon to that team when he was putting up insane numbers and missing the playoffs? Or did you mean the fans are idiots for hitching themselves to that wagon, like you did in the 80's?

We've had a real bad decade, no doubt there, but there's been a lot of noise generated in the last two years relating McDavid's situation back to Lemieux's. Doesn't make a lot of sense for you to be condescending to one player/group but be proud as a peacock about you're own player/group when it's the same situation.

Neither of our respective teams have had the rosiest of histories, what with our decade of darkness and your bankruptcy.
Except the Penguins weren't a mickey mouse operating team back then or now. Oilers are a joke of an ownership and management group.

So your comparison lays flat. Thanks for the long winded reply that had zero context and knowledge of the situation though.

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
I live in the United States and am a cord-cutter with PS Vue. I don't get to see him play all that often. It occurred to me while looking through the threads gauging interest in the various series that I would have been perhaps most excited seeing the Oilers against any of the other West playoff teams for McDavid (and Drai).

100% don't intend this as a flame or any commentary on Edmonton. I'm just simply sad I won't get a chance to focus on the best player in the world over a seven-game series (or multiple ones).
I agree

Jan 29, 2009
Edmonton/Calgary
Trust me, we'll be watching him in the playoffs for the next decade. Their prospect pipeline is deep. Pain is the calm before the storm. As a wise man once said, failure is the key to success.
This is only going to increase his drive, focus and hunger

There prospects are mediocre at best.. Bouchard is nice. Pulju looks like a bust and there isn't any other bonafide top end prospects. Add there mediocre prospect pool to some really bad contracts and you have an Oilers team that won't be making noise for a few years. Edmonton has tons of holes, but they do have McD and Drai, which is a pretty good base to start with.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Ah, please tell me how Nicholson is going to build a dynasty like the one that was built around Lemieux. Living in lala land, yes McDavid will have a chance after he leaves. No first overall picks to bail your team out this time, the darkness is calling again.
Lemieux didn't play for a Dynasty.

Nice post, by the way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad