I'm disappointed that I won't get to watch McDavid in the playoffs

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
Here, problem solved:

maxresdefault.jpg

hansomreiste

Sep 23, 2015
Ankara
Let me introduce you to the concept of an entry draft. The worst team gets the best player.

So what? Oilers had #1 pick in 2011, 2012 and 2015. Up until their playoff display, they had many top picks to work with as well. Yet in2019 we are still talking about how bad they have been and why things don't work. Entry draft alone doesn't solve anything. It is not a magical stick to turn a bad team into a contender one in five to six years. The system just makes it possible for every team to be a good one over time, not guarantees it.

As a neutral, I'm sad to see McDavid out of the picture come spring but this is what happens when you sign a 8yr-contract with this joke of a management.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Good to know that you care to some degree. Where would you say you fall on the caring continuum?

kY5ePwi.png
Pretty sure "I could care less" is more satirical than literal.

Also, its slang.

Saying something is "cool" doesn't mean you literally think its temperature is lower than normal.

So this thread, about a team not in the playoffs and discussing semantics exists in the Stanley Cup Playoffs board.

Reactions: Sentinel

serp

Jan 17, 2016
I mean its not like the NHL set the Oilers up for failure , quite the opposite. McDavid isn't in the playoffs because he's playing for a team that was been inept for more than a decade now . Even the best player in the league can't fix that.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
No. 20 isn’t your prime. Just like Sids 19 year old season wasn’t his prime either.

How are you defining prime? Crosby peaked higher offensively and peaked higher as all around player after age 19 but that doesn't mean he didn't hit his prime early like Wayne did for example.

Seems like a semantics argument.

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
It'd be nice to see him in the playoffs. Oh well he's 22 so he's still young and has plenty of time to appear in the playoffs.

Reactions: Beau Knows

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
So what? Oilers had #1 pick in 2011, 2012 and 2015. Up until their playoff display, they had many top picks to work with as well. Yet in2019 we are still talking about how bad they have been and why things don't work. Entry draft alone doesn't solve anything. It is not a magical stick to turn a bad team into a contender one in five to six years. The system just makes it possible for every team to be a good one over time, not guarantees it.

As a neutral, I'm sad to see McDavid out of the picture come spring but this is what happens when you sign a 8yr-contract with this joke of a management.
Let me rephrase it. A very bad team gets a very good player.:laugh:

Still, it is pretty much within the parameter range that after getting McDavid there is still a period of suck to be overcome. Of course the Oilers might butcher that still as they did with previous high picks, but I was speaking about the usual course. Even a pick like McDavid does not guarantee a playoff berth right away as bad as it is to not see him in the playoffs.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
I'm very frustrated too. It's not often when one of the game's best is not in the dance for multiple years. This is where he would shine. Hope the Oil can right the ship for this kid.

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
Pretty sure "I could care less" is more satirical than literal.

Also, its slang.

Saying something is "cool" doesn't mean you literally think its temperature is lower than normal.

So this thread, about a team not in the playoffs and discussing semantics exists in the Stanley Cup Playoffs board.

Cool has multiple meanings; most of which are rooted in the adjectival uses of feeling or sensation. It can describe an aloofness or dispassionate situation without being considered slang.

I believe its slang origin stemmed from jazz. Cool became associated with sax player Lester "Pres" Young in the early '40s. The breakout year in terms of its appearance in mainstream publications came in 1948, when The New Yorker reported, "The bebop people have a language of their own... Their expressions of approval include 'cool'!" That same year, music critics picked up on the use of cool to describe a new, more relaxed style of jazz. "Hot jazz is dead. Long live cool jazz!"

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
I'm not.

I want to see the best teams in the playoffs. Not the best individuals.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
How are you defining prime? Crosby peaked higher offensively and peaked higher as all around player after age 19 but that doesn't mean he didn't hit his prime early like Wayne did for example.

Crosby made a cup final in his 3rd season, won it all in his 4th.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Definitely, I started as a Lemieux fan, being in Pittsburgh made me, if anything, like the Steelers and Pirates after the fact. Lemieux is why I got into the Penguins in the early 80's.

Not that I even remotely agree with your logic, but are the Pirates any better than the Oilers?

Todd from Leduc

Connor “The Next Great One” McDavid
Nov 15, 2017
Leduc
I originally was thinking 4-5 Cups on his deal but it will take the next 3-4 years to build the team up again and shed contracts. I think if healthy, Connor will get 3-4 Cups on the back end of his deal. It’s a shame because if handled properly we could be on our second Cup with Connor this playoffs. Of course he could still turn crap into gold in the next 2-3 seasons and still pick up a few Cups.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018

Physical peak.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
It appears you have an arbitrary version of what represents a player's prime. Winning all those awards would be a more objective way to signify that McDavid's prime began that season.

Prime to me is physical peak. McDavid’s prime is probably now til he’s 25 if he ages like most superstar forwards.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
[Mod]

Yeah, I don't feel sorry for players that don't make it. How does anyone with any sort of intelligence, hitch their wagon to a team that has been a laughing stock from upper management down to the AHL? You hitch your wagon to that, enjoy the ride and the fun that comes with it.

Thats not the point, the point is the leagues growing and at its best when its superstars are thriving. No need to go all hater, the OP makes a good point he is a very exciting player to watch and its great for the game when he is playing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad