I'm disappointed that I won't get to watch McDavid in the playoffs

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
I guess you can enjoy him if you're Oilers fan, but what if you're not? Spending 3h of your life just to see a guy who outspeed everyone and with little bit dekes scores or gives an assist on the rush? No tnx.

I’m a Sharks fan.

The rest of the game is still hockey, albeit slightly underwhelming due to the ugly, boring rest of the Oilers roster. But the 20 minutes of McDavid is worth it.

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
I prefer when the best teams make the playoffs. Stars are fine and all, but when they are all you hear about, it can be annoying. There's pros and cons to it.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
I originally was thinking 4-5 Cups on his deal but it will take the next 3-4 years to build the team up again and shed contracts. I think if healthy, Connor will get 3-4 Cups on the back end of his deal. It’s a shame because if handled properly we could be on our second Cup with Connor this playoffs. Of course he could still turn crap into gold in the next 2-3 seasons and still pick up a few Cups.
So essentially you expect the Oilers to be a Dynasty and win 3-4 cups in the next 7 years, but if things work out they could add another 1-2 cups in the same time frame. Sounds reasonable.

DaBolts

Stanley Cup Boat Parades ROCK
Feb 3, 2015
I live in the United States and am a cord-cutter with PS Vue. I don't get to see him play all that often. It occurred to me while looking through the threads gauging interest in the various series that I would have been perhaps most excited seeing the Oilers against any of the other West playoff teams for McDavid (and Drai).

100% don't intend this as a flame or any commentary on Edmonton. I'm just simply sad I won't get a chance to focus on the best player in the world over a seven-game series (or multiple ones).
giphy.gif

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I'm disappointed that this thread isn't 37 pages of different posters replying 'Blame Tobias Rieder'.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
It’s probably the biggest downer of the past couple years. Not to mention there’s hardly a guarantee we’ll even be able to see him next season as well (if anything far from it...).

Hockey fans deserve better....

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
It's kind of a shame but the silence from Oiler fans come playoff time is well worth it. He'll have his day though. They are very close to a playoff team and I doubt they stay out much longer so just enjoy the fresh air and lack of foaming at the mouth while it lasts :P.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Not that I even remotely agree with your logic, but are the Pirates any better than the Oilers?
Pirates model is to have a cheap roster and make enough money to have a profitable year. They don't care. They wouldn't even let Lemieux and Burkle buy them to make them competitive again. Not a good comparison at all.

Oilers mess ups is literally incompetence.
Pirates purposely go cheap and just aim to make money and not win anything.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Pirates model is to have a cheap roster and make enough money to have a profitable year. They don't care. They wouldn't even let Lemieux and Burkle buy them to make them competitive again. Not a good comparison at all.

Oilers mess ups is literally incompetence.
Pirates purposely go cheap and just aim to make money and not win anything.

I am still scratching my head as to why anyone would want to be a fan of that.

I abandoned the Redskins because the owner is a douche who only cares about $$$.

Shad

Mar 5, 2011
Good to know that you care to some degree. Where would you say you fall on the caring continuum?

kY5ePwi.png

"I could care less" i.e. "By even acknowledging the question I am caring far too much, therefore I could literally care less"

As for OP, watch Cindy instead. He's not getting any younger so enjoy him while he's around.

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
I live in the United States and am a cord-cutter with PS Vue. I don't get to see him play all that often. It occurred to me while looking through the threads gauging interest in the various series that I would have been perhaps most excited seeing the Oilers against any of the other West playoff teams for McDavid (and Drai).

100% don't intend this as a flame or any commentary on Edmonton. I'm just simply sad I won't get a chance to focus on the best player in the world over a seven-game series (or multiple ones).

EDM isn't a good hockey team. I've seen them play several times this season, and while you definitely get some "ooohh - ahhhh" moments from McDavid, the overall product on the ice isn't pleasing to the eye.

EDM fans are long over due for a competitive team.

qwerty

Feb 4, 2007
Calgary
If Chiarelli did nothing, the Oilers would be a Cup contender today.

Hall-McDavid-Barzal
Tkachuk-Draisaitl-Eberle
Yamamoto - RNH - Chiasson
+ swap Barzal for (D) Thomas Chabot

To be fair though, the organization asked Chiarelli to rush the rebuild. The losing culture of the Oilers organization created this mess. They hired McTavish as GM because he was "impatient" and then desperation set in which triggered a string of new coaching and GM hires which then resulted in the trades of perceived "problem players" like Hall (Hart winner), Schultz (2 time Stanley Cup champion), Eberle (in the playoffs today) and etc.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

Hall-McDavid-Barzal
Tkachuk-Draisaitl-Eberle

To be fair though, the organization asked Chiarelli to rush the rebuild. The losing culture of the Oilers organization created this mess. They hired McTavish as GM because he was "impatient" and then desperation set in which triggered a string of new coaching and GM hires which then resulted in the trades of perceived "problem players" like Hall (Hart winner), Schultz (2 time Stanley Cup champion), Eberle (in the playoffs today) and etc.

You're assuming a lot of those players would be the same in Edmonton as they've been elsewhere.

qwerty

Feb 4, 2007
Calgary
You're assuming a lot of those players would be the same in Edmonton as they've been elsewhere.
Sorry I'm not sure what you're implying here. Are you saying Barzal, Chabot, and Tkachuk would struggle with the Oilers? These 3 are absolute studs and would help out any team they play for, even the Oilers. Actually, I'd argue Barzal and Tkachuk would thrive playing with McDavid and Draisaitl. Barzal would just focus on scoring as a winger and Tkachuk not having to play as a shut down winger with Draisaitl would probably explode offensively.

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
With a great summer Edmonton could get back in next season. The right man with autonomy and a plan is the most important move they've had to make in years.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Eh, he's mediocre in the playoffs anyway.

Why do so many Leafs fans have this tendency to ape and exaggerate the very same shitty, short-sighted criticisms levied against their own players?

Or do you buy the idiotic argument that Matthews is doomed to be a playoff liability for his entire career?

wretched34

Dec 16, 2013
Lethbridge

Hall-McDavid-Barzal
Tkachuk-Draisaitl-Eberle

So a great top 6, a 3rd line C with borderline NHL linemates, god only knows what on the 4th line, and still no Defense or Goaltending... not sure that makes up a contender.

qwerty

Feb 4, 2007
Calgary
So a great top 6, a 3rd line C with borderline NHL linemates, god only knows what on the 4th line, and still no Defense or Goaltending... not sure that makes up a contender.
That line up could probably score 300+ goals which would be good for 1st in the league in most years. All they would need is to keep a goal differential of approximately +35 to +45 in order to be a contender for the Cup. So roughly 270-280 GA which they’ve easily managed to allow well under the last few years.

They’d be a contender for sure, maybe not a cup winner yet. But they’d be close. Chiarelli really did quite a number on that roster.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad