Speculation: If you were the GM, How would you play the Canucks Trade Deadline?

BWJM

Sponsor
Mar 16, 2011
Kuzmenko
Mikheyev
Podkolzin
24 & 25 1st
25 2nd

Should all be dangled

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
There’s nothing about JEE that says trade candidate. He’s locked up long-term at a good number (unlike the oft cited Hronek). He hasn’t asked for a trade. Minnesota doesn’t have anyone to replace him internally. They have no reason to go into a rebuild, motivating a cash out.

And the Canucks don’t have the futures capital to convince Minnesota to make that unavailable available. Total pipe dream name.

While I agree, much of the media speculation has been that the Canucks will continue looking to pick up players with term who were thought of as unavailable until a deal is made.

See the Hronek deal, Allvin was supposedly hounding Detroit to the point where they just phoned him directly when they decided to move him.

ratbid

Feb 18, 2012
Part of me wonders if it's really even necessary to add another top 6. If (and I know it's a HUGE IF), Joshua - Blueger - Garland keep playing at this rate they are producing at solid second line production while playing great two way hockey. If you view them that way suddenly we can load up the Lotto line and have:

Lotto Line
Joshua - Blueger - Garland
Mikheyev - Suter - Kuzmenko
Lafferty - Aman - Hoglander

Or some variation of that. That top 4 RD seems like it should be the priority right now, but also consideration of what happens next year. I'd love to see if the Joshua - Blueger - Garland can keep up this level of play and, if they can, look to re-sign them. If not, no big deal, but I do see them as being a line that could excel in the playoffs. If we bring in a top 6 theres no guarantee it will be a fit, and if that player has term re-signing Joshua and Blueger would then be out of the question, along with making the Pettersson signing more difficult.

It wasn't long ago Garland was considered a solid player and Blueger looked solid in his early years with Pittsburgh. Maybe they've found the coach and chemistry to elevate their game in Vancouver.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
While I agree, much of the media speculation has been that the Canucks will continue looking to pick up players with term who were thought of as unavailable until a deal is made.

See the Hronek deal, Allvin was supposedly hounding Detroit to the point where they just phoned him directly when they decided to move him.

Your last line is the key point. Detroit made the decision to move him. Hronek had limited term and the long-term decision Vancouver now has to make was looming. The Wings just cashed out early.

I don’t think the justification for a realistic trade target can effectively be “we want him.” There has to be some internal motivation on the other side. I don’t see anything with Minnesota and JEE. That would be a real wtf.

Buffalo has to make a long-term decision on Mittelstadt soon. I haven’t seen/heard Buchnevich’s name mentioned by insiders yet, but he’s inherently a trade candidate based on his contract term. Might Arizona want to get out of Nick Schmaltz’s big real salary years? I would have added Laine to that mix in a core shakeup trade for Columbus, had he not just gone into the player assistance program.

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017
Lekkermaki and Wallinder would be off the table, but everything else would b available. As of right now there isn't anything available that would require those two anyways.
if neither of those prospects are available the media for the canucks need to stop talking about trading for Guentzel .

Reactions: Blueston

shelbysdad

Nov 21, 2006
Red Hook, NY
Resign Petterson to 8 year contract at $5M.

Then trade him to Bruins at 50 percent retained for Grz, Boqvist and Brown.

Hey you asked.....

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
Your last line is the key point. Detroit made the decision to move him. Hronek had limited term and the long-term decision Vancouver now has to make was looming. The Wings just cashed out early.

I don’t think the justification for a realistic trade target can effectively be “we want him.” There has to be some internal motivation on the other side. I don’t see anything with Minnesota and JEE. That would be a real wtf.

Buffalo has to make a long-term decision on Mittelstadt soon. I haven’t seen/heard Buchnevich’s name mentioned by insiders yet, but he’s inherently a trade candidate based on his contract term. Might Arizona want to get out of Nick Schmaltz’s big real salary years? I would have added Laine to that mix in a core shakeup trade for Columbus, had he not just gone into the player assistance program.

For sure, I don't expect the Wild to make him available, I'm merely saying it's hard to speculate on people who aren't known to be available.

The Canucks FO MO so far appears to be finding guys who aren't available, so a lot of the fan rhetoric seems unrealistic because the team is focusing hard on getting "their guys," so as fans we are just speculating on who those guys are.

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017
Kuzmenko
1st 2024
1st 2025 (top 10 protected)
Lekkerimaki
Willander
for
Crosby 50% retained
Guentzel 50% retained
Crosby isn't leaving Pittsburgh multiple teams will be after Guentzel if he's made available a team like Dallas have the pieces need to get Guentzel.
If Crosby ever leaves Pittsburgh its likely to play in Colorado

Last edited:

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
1. Move Kuzmenko for cap space and a modest pick. Not hearing the milk bags saying he has no value. Cap going up and he scored 40 goals last year.

2. Once you have cap space, acquire Pat Maroon for a 6th rounder.

Shores up the 4th line and adds a Tock type players.

3. Acquire Eriksson Ek for a 1st, Podz and Lekkermaki. Steep package but he’s an elite player.
Pat Maroon is a great target

Crosby isn't leaving Pittsburgh multiple teams will be after Guentzel if he's made available a team like Dallas have the pieces need to get Guentzel.
If Crosby ever leaves Pittsburgh its likely to play in Colorado
Crosby has way more ties to the Canucks than the Aves. It doesn’t matter how many teams are after Crosby, you only trade him to the team he picks and you likely don’t get a max return because of it. Not to say you wouldn’t get a great return, just it would be more about doing him the solid. If he picks a team, Vancouver or otherwise, your job as the GM is not to mess it up and treat him with respect and find a way to make it work. He isn’t your average player.

Joseph Nathan

Feb 11, 2022
1. Move Kuzmenko for cap space and a modest pick. Not hearing the milk bags saying he has no value. Cap going up and he scored 40 goals last year.

3. Acquire Eriksson Ek for a 1st, Podz and Lekkermaki. Steep package but he’s an elite player.
Delusional as heck! Ek isn’t getting traded. It’s amazing how Canucks fans don’t get this. Then you offered nothing but crap including wings Minnesota doesn’t need and b prospect

Joseph Nathan

Feb 11, 2022

Except this is different. What part don’t you understand Minnesota has no willingness, or motivation to move ek. Point blank he’s untouchable.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA

Kuz also shot 27% last year. 5.5 is OK for the player he actually is, but the problem is that every good team is saying “we need to move X and then we can make a trade”…but there are only so many teams with space to make that happen.

And they will extract their price one last year before things get more normal with the cap.

Just feels like STL will wait until next TDL on him when they don’t have to retain the extra year unless they can extract a good price for that.

Czechboy

Cole is the real MVP!
Apr 15, 2018
Tanev would be a great get.. only problem is that I want him on the oilers.

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017
Pat Maroon is a great target

Crosby has way more ties to the Canucks than the Aves. It doesn’t matter how many teams are after Crosby, you only trade him to the team he picks and you likely don’t get a max return because of it. Not to say you wouldn’t get a great return, just it would be more about doing him the solid. If he picks a team, Vancouver or otherwise, your job as the GM is not to mess it up and treat him with respect and find a way to make it work. He isn’t your average player.
Crosby isnt leaving Pittsburgh if he does it will be to the team of his choosing Colorado are proven winners and his friendship with MacKinnon has greater value than anything he has with a former GM or Coach.

Last edited:

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Given how Vancouver and Calgary seem to flip a lot of players (thinking of Tanev and Markstrom, to start), I have to think Monahan will be in Vancouver's sights, given his many years of service in Calgary and Vancouver's needs. This also tells us Monahan was comfortable playing in Western Canada.

Vancouver could figure out the line combo's based on how the guy fits in on the Canucks, which linemates he clicks with, etc. He could be either a winger or a center for the 'Nucks.
Why the heck do the Canucks want Markstrom? The have a better goalie so they are wasting assets on something they don't need.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Kuz also shot 27% last year. 5.5 is OK for the player he actually is, but the problem is that every good team is saying “we need to move X and then we can make a trade”…but there are only so many teams with space to make that happen.

And they will extract their price one last year before things get more normal with the cap.

Just feels like STL will wait until next TDL on him when they don’t have to retain the extra year unless they can extract a good price for that.

A definite possibility. To a broader point, there’s no guarantee that a bunch of non-rentals will be traded. 3 years ago, the 2021 deadline, the crop was just Mantha, Bennett and Carter.

I wouldn’t raise my expectations too high of what a club can do based on one trade. Carolina traded a grab bag for Trocheck 4 years ago, but hasn’t been able to recreate it over the past 3 deadlines. A late 1st round pick isn’t some super in demand asset.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Lindholm has been shocking this season and doesn't deserve the price you're asking for.

I would look to move Myers to shed some salary, pick up Kovacevic as a replacement. Would likely get a return for Myers based on his play this year that would be similar to what it would cost to pick up Kovacevic.

Then I'd offer a 2nd, Mikheyev and someone like Hirose/McWard for Lindholm and Tanev. Maybe Lindholm will actually play well if he's moved but his play has seriously regressed and it would mean taking a gamble on him. Mikheyev doesn't necessarily fit the style of play for the second line so I'd sacrifice him instead of Kuzmenko.

Finally, I'd pay a premium to get Tuch from Buffalo. I think he'd be the perfect winger for someone like Miller and Boeser to allow Pettersson to play with Lindholm and Kuzmenko.
I read from another poster that Calgary owner has told management not to trade them in the division so take it with with a grain of salt.

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
Except this is different. What part don’t you understand Minnesota has no willingness, or motivation to move ek. Point blank he’s untouchable.

Yeah dude, I know, that's the point. The media consensus is that Alvin is targeting other teams untouchable players in case they do in the future.

I'm not saying its going to happen, I'm not saying Minnesota should move him, I'm saying that Alvin has probably already called and checked in on him at least once.

I read from another poster that Calgary owner has told management not to trade them in the division so take it with with a grain of salt.

Calgary just traded Zadorov to the Canucks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad