Speculation: If you were the GM, How would you play the Canucks Trade Deadline?

Lupuls Grit

Oct 12, 2018
Orillia
Those are some real knee slappers trading Pettersson. 1st rule of telling a joke do not repeat joke. Unwritten rule....make sure it's funny

On a serious note:

Objectives:
1 - Get a top6W
2 - Add some grit and versatility for injury depth
3 - Add a RD

1 - Jason Zucker (50% retained) -for- Pius Suter + 4th
2a - Sam Carrick -for- Jet Woo + 6th
2b - Pat Maroon -for- 5th
3 - No Cap space and already made the moves for Zadorov and Friedman + Cole or Soucy can play RD

Not sexy but adds size depth and experience to the forward group
I would not do a single one of those proposed trades. Maybe Carrick. But Suter is great value for the versatility he is providing. And Maroon??? No thanks! Corey Perry would have been much better but neither are particularly useful once the Canucks pick up another 1-2 top 6 forwards.

PettersonHughes

Aug 26, 2020
If Henrique, Lindholm or Monahan become too expensive I'd want them to flip a mid-round pick for Wennberg. 2nd line C, solid defense, good on draws, had put up around 35-40 points and can play on both special teams but is having a down year. He's primarily been a playmaker though. Then trade Kuzmenko to Toronto for Bertuzzi and keep Mikheyev to round out the line.

Bertuzzi - Wennberg - Mikheyev (big net crashing LW, strong all-around C, speedy two-way RW)

FSL KINGS

May 10, 2021
Dump Kuzmenko in Chicago for whatever.

Trade Tyler Myers + whatever to LA for Doughty.

Plan Parade.
:naughty:

Huge Long Richard

Jan 12, 2024
If I was the Nucks GM, I’d try and do a soft reset! As good as the team is, they haven’t proven they can win in the playoffs. What if they move picks and/or prospects, get eliminated in the 1st round, and go back to stinking next year? It’s too risky!

I’d move out Pettersson for the best offer. With teams’ demand at centre and him being far and away the best of the bunch, you need to get a return before he walks. If you could get a centre with term on their contract back, that’s even better. I’d go with someone like Pavel Zacha with Boston and ask for some picks as well.

I’d also commission a new alternate jersey that takes inspiration from the Vancouver Grizzlies design!!!!

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Vancouver has been shot out of a cannon this year, and shocked the NHL at the top of the standings. But rarely does a team come out basically nowhere, and win a Stanley Cup. It's usually a slow process filled with potholes and disappointments.

The Canucks would be making a big mistake imo hollowing out their prospect pool and trading multiple picks, to go for rentals. The time is for careful and measured moves. The building isn't over yet.

Reactions: SmoggyTwinkles

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
Stand pat.

Keep your picks, prospects, depth. Do not chase something major.

If it's working now, it should keep working.

So many teams make moves and see no benefit from them at the TDL.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
Stand pat.

Keep your picks, prospects, depth. Do not chase something major.

If it's working now, it should keep working.

So many teams make moves and see no benefit from them at the TDL.
You're post really stood the test of time.

Vancouver did do fine with today's trade. Both teams did.

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Center you can either go two ways, cost effective and trade for Monahan, or you spend and get a Lindholm.

Its wide open but when you have a window to potentially win it all, you take it. I would be trading for Lindholm if I was Vancouver.
Commented on the other thread, but right move for Vancouver, you have a chance to win the cup, you go for it and get the best available center on the block.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
There's been enough impact over the years from rentals to justify doing something. Ironically, it's been the 2nd round and below type that has produced the best results (Manson, Kempny, Hainsey, Gaborik, Guerin, B. Stuart).

The 1st round type has largely disappointed relative to the price paid; Kaberle and Savard were 3rd pairing defensemen and while Vermette scored a few big goals, he was also healthy scratched at times. Weight is the all-around good outcome to point to and that occured 18 years ago.

Not sure how to define Barbashev in those terms, who was traded for a recent 1st round prospect that has gone on to have a disappointing AHL rookie season.
blues fans valued dean as at least equivalent to vegas' 1st round pick. he was instantly our top (only really) center prospect, so was major organizational need. and he played well post-deadline in q. had strong training camp. honestly we are all bewildered what happened with him this year in springfield. now it's small sample and he may be hurt or have personal turmoil or i don't know what, and still can figure it out and become good nhl player. but i feel much less confident about him than i did 3 months ago. but you can say that about guy like edouard sale who was a 1st round pick this year, so you just never KNOW how kids will turn out. i still feel good that we got 1st round value at the time we acquired him.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
If I were the Canucks GM id dangle an overarching prospect whose game wont translate to the nhl, a late 1st probably around 32 overall, and Kuzmenko or equivalent for a solid top 6 fwd defensive expert who can win faceoffs and on a contract cheaper than Kuzmenko. Do that and theyd put themselves in a much better position :nod:

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
If I were the Canucks GM id dangle an overarching prospect whose game wont translate to the nhl, a late 1st probably around 32 overall, and Kuzmenko or equivalent for a solid top 6 fwd defensive expert who can win faceoffs and on a contract cheaper than Kuzmenko. Do that and theyd put themselves in a much better position :nod:
that doesn't seem very realistic.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: M2Beezy and Play

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
Do the Canucks still trade for Tanev or another dman? Or stand pat?
stop asking for tanev jesus. 34 and old. what if first game back blocks a shot and is out? vancouver is down to square one again.. especially in the playoffs. its more physical. can he even hold his own against some of the best powerhouse teams? i rather take a lbysukin/carrick younger durable guys

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
Lots of value in getting the deal done with almost half the season to go. Lindholm makes our team much better defensively, he should be a great fit. I’m guessing it will be Hoglander/Lindholm/EP, Suter/Miller/Boeser?

Canucks gave up some nice futures with potential, and Kuz who I really like. I think he will have a big season next year. Lindholm is a huge add for Vancouver, he fills our biggest hole in the lineup. One or two more moves and this could be a scary team.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
3rd, 4th (New Jersey), 6th, 6th (San Jose), 7th. Remaining picks for vancouver to make a couple of more deals. no 1sts or 2nds.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
stop asking for tanev jesus. 34 and old. what if first game back blocks a shot and is out? vancouver is down to square one again.. especially in the playoffs. its more physical. can he even hold his own against some of the best powerhouse teams? i rather take a lbysukin/carrick younger durable guys
Tanev has played in 95% of games with the Flames. He's been quite durable here.

PettersonHughes

Aug 26, 2020
3rd, 4th (New Jersey), 6th, 6th (San Jose), 7th. Remaining picks for vancouver to make a couple of more deals. no 1sts or 2nds.
Lol what are we expecting to get with those, Tanner Jeannot?
I'm pretty satisfied with the current makeup of the team, and when the lines and pairings are set we can have a wagon of a team.

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
It’s a rumour I’m not asking for it.

Lol what are we expecting to get with those, Tanner Jeannot?
I'm pretty satisfied with the current makeup of the team, and when the lines and pairings are set we can have a wagon of a team.
We realistically should get a 4th line agitator/energy physical guy. So a Raffi Torres/Max Lappiere type player we got in 2011.

Vancouver has been shot out of a cannon this year, and shocked the NHL at the top of the standings. But rarely does a team come out basically nowhere, and win a Stanley Cup. It's usually a slow process filled with potholes and disappointments.

The Canucks would be making a big mistake imo hollowing out their prospect pool and trading multiple picks, to go for rentals. The time is for careful and measured moves. The building isn't over yet.
St Louis did it not long ago.

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
Canes was just like these Canucks when they won, managed by none other than JR. While I'm not a proponent of going all in, their record do justify such a move. Realistically the pessimist in me thinks its 2 years too early, But EP waffling to sign gives this season an urgency to do something now.

....maybe that's the goal in his alien head all along.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Feels like after the Lindholm deal, that might be the majority of what the Canucks do for the deadline. That's a much bigger swing than i actually expected.

Though on the other hand, i think there's still a pretty strong impetus to go out and find at least another decent depth D, particularly a RH shooter ideally to push Juulsen/Friedman out of a spot. Not sure they have the assets or cap space left to make a big splash there, but Alvin and Co. do seem to find a way.

I could also still see them making one more tweak up front. Right now there's still a reasonable likelihood of Pius Suter being in the Top-6 somewhere. There's room to upgrade that.

I still stand by Laughton being a great target, but it depends on how much they're willing to empty the cupboards of picks.

The Lindholm deal actually quietly cleared another ~$1M of cap space for them to work with as well. I think that's notable. That extra wiggle room can be leveraged into something useful at the deadline.

Laughton-Pettersson-Lindholm
Mikheyev-Miller-Boeser
Joshua-Bluegers-Garland
Hoglander-Suter-Lafferty

looks so darn good to me...Super deep and with a lot of flexibility to do some different things if you want to throw the Lotto Line together instead sometimes.

Even a cheapo rental like Eberle (with retention to fit) would make sense to me if they want to run the Lotto Line a bunch.

Pettersson-Miller-Boeser
Mikheyev-Lindholm-Eberle

...also an upgrade on Suter who could get pushed down to the 3rd/4th line C where he's a huge luxury.

Or Tarasenko if they really just want to go balls to the wall.

Tarasenko-Pettersson-Lindholm
Mikheyev-Miller-Boeser

or

Pettersson-Miller-Boeser
Mikheyev-Lindholm-Tarasenko

...that looks just stacked to me, when combined with the way the bottom-6 seems to mesh.

Reactions: David71

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad