Speculation: If you were the GM, How would you play the Canucks Trade Deadline?

Diablo2020

Feb 11, 2020
Calgary
To NJD - Zadorov
To VAN - 3rd, 5th

To NAS - Mikhayev
To VAN - Barrie

To CGY - Barrie, 2nd, 2nd
To VAN - Tanev

To MON - Raty, Brisebois
To VAN - Evans, Harris

To BUF - Truscott, Celebrini, 7th
To VAN - Greenway, Jost, Stillman, Comrie

Greenway - Miller - Boeser
Hoglander - Pettersson - Lindholm
Joshua - Blueger - Garland
Suter - Evans - Lafferty
Di Guiseppe - Aman - Karlsson
Bains - Jost - Podkolzin

Hughes - Hronek
Soucy - Tanev
Cole - Myers
Harris - Juulsen
Stillman - Friedman

Demko - Desmith
Comrie - Silovs

Tonnes of depth for the next 4 months.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
no picks to even shop for pittsburgh. likely a depth defenseman or two as they say having more depth isn't a bad idea. juulsen/friedman/wolanin/irwin then some abby kids. but might be better if vancouver gets another NHL caliber defenseman likely right handed 1-12 capable dman if one of their top 6 goes down with injury. "next man up mentality" still need another bruising fwd to crash and bang IMO in the playoffs its needed. pry someone like micheal penezzata?

Reactions: biturbo19

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
To NJD - Zadorov
To VAN - 3rd, 5th

To NAS - Mikhayev
To VAN - Barrie

To CGY - Barrie, 2nd, 2nd
To VAN - Tanev

To MON - Raty, Brisebois
To VAN - Evans, Harris

To BUF - Truscott, Celebrini, 7th
To VAN - Greenway, Jost, Stillman, Comrie

Greenway - Miller - Boeser
Hoglander - Pettersson - Lindholm
Joshua - Blueger - Garland
Suter - Evans - Lafferty
Di Guiseppe - Aman - Karlsson
Bains - Jost - Podkolzin

Hughes - Hronek
Soucy - Tanev
Cole - Myers
Harris - Juulsen
Stillman - Friedman

Demko - Desmith
Comrie - Silovs

Tonnes of depth for the next 4 months.

This is...so much shuffling, to ultimately just kind of downgrade, or at best move laterally on the roster. I don't get the point.

Like Mikheyev >>> Greenway. If they could add Greenway without subtracting Mikheyev, sure, maybe that's a good fit. But as a swap, it's really a downgrade overall. I don't know what people's problem with Mikky is. He's a 20G-40-45pt straight line complementary Top-9 Winger with good size who is solid defensively and a strong PKer. He's exactly what he's supposed to be. He's exactly what a team should want to load up with heading toward the playoffs. :dunno:

Greenway isn't really that good. He'd be an okay "cheaper" option to bring some extra size to the Top-6 to bump Suter down to the 3/4C spot. But not if it means losing the better player Mikheyev in the process (and a massive unnecessary shakeup to a roster that is just absolutely rolling on chemistry and buy-in).

The whole thing is just...way too much for a team that's rolling. It's a lot of change for change sake, when what they already have is working.

no picks to even shop for pittsburgh. likely a depth defenseman or two as they say having more depth isn't a bad idea. juulsen/friedman/wolanin/irwin then some abby kids. but might be better if vancouver gets another NHL caliber defenseman likely right handed 1-12 capable dman if one of their top 6 goes down with injury. "next man up mentality" still need another bruising fwd to crash and bang IMO in the playoffs its needed. pry someone like micheal penezzata?

I'm not really a big fan of Pez dispenser personally. I get that Joshua can run pretty hot/cold so having some insurance and someone to push him might be useful. But for me, i'd rather see them just go out and add a little more size/grit in the Top-6/9 filler role. If you can bring in someone roughly on Pius Suter's level or better, with more size+grit...i think that sort of kills two birds with one stone.

Because of the way the roster is constructed, it's a bit weird. It can be either a 1a/1b thing or a more conventional 1/2b sort of thing. But the bottom-6 is peculiar as it's kind of playing like a 3a/3b with great chemistry making it work.

That's where keeping the Bluegers line together seems like a given. And keeping Hoggy+Lafferty together seems like a given if you can. That really leaves Suter/Aman as the guys to potentially move around at this point. And i think you get the most for your money (and an extra layer of depth) if you can actually bump Suter down to that Hoggy/Laffy line. Rather than a guy like Pezzetta who you hope you don't have to actually play, as lower-end insurance on Joshua basically.

ginner classic

Dammit Jim!
Mar 4, 2002
Douglas Park
I don't see the utility of Greenway given his contract. I also don't really see Buffalo moving off him as they need more of that.

The only two big names on D worth pursuing in any way are Larsson and Tanev IMO. I am not sure it's worth the price at this point, especially if we are just willing to sign Tanev in the offseason as a bridge to Willander who really looks like the next Tanev.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
I would trade futures to improve my team today.

This should be in the Nucks forum

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad