Speculation: If you were the GM, How would you play the Canucks Trade Deadline?

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
They need someone who can carry that 2nd pairing 20+ minutes (a night) in the playoffs, or there’s a good chance they’re not winning more than maybe a round. It’s the most important weakness they have.

It’s a huge difference having 2 dmen who can drive that ship. All great teams have at least 2. It’s the difference between 25 minutes a night, and 45-50 minutes a night, carrying play, in a 7 game series.

Tocchet isn’t stupid. He knows he needs 2, because teams will forecheck the heck out of Quinn in the playoffs, and they will wear him down IF there’s nobody else who can carry the play. We’re too deep into the season now, if they believed Hronek was that guy, not to have been playing him in that role. To be fair, it’s why Detroit got rid of him as well, so it looks like that’s not in the cards.

So if Chychrun is available, he should be their main target. It would be the move that could put them over the top. They’d be way harder to matchup against come a 7 game series.

Make the big move.

If they can’t get him, or someone who can play that role, they’ll need another role player who’s tough to play against. That will help their D NOT getting worn down as quickly. Obviously Tanev fits that role, but there’s several others who can play that role as well.

The second thing they need, is a forward who can give them some tough minutes in the playoffs. Someone who can win battles, is hard to play against, and can play in their Top 6 if needed. Teams don’t like trading those types though. Greenway from Buffalo maybe?

If they can’t get that type of guy, try getting at least someone who will win battles and give them some hard minutes. Fischer or Kostin from Detroit would fit that bill. Not sure they’re available, but if Detroit ends up selling Fischer or Kostin could be a solid add for their bottom 6. Either gives them someone to win those battles, and they’re hard players to play against.

Chychrun should be their big target though, and it sounds like Ottawa is willing to deal him. It would be huge because teams can’t just zero in on wearing Hughes down, and it would keep Hronek with Hughes. Their blue line would be very hard to matchup against.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
2024 1st + 2025 2nd + 2024 4th + Lekkerimäki + Myers to Calgary for Lindholm + Tanev (both 50% retained)

2025 1st + Willander + Kuzmenko to Philadelphia for Konecny

Miller - Pettersson - Boeser
Mikheyev - Lindholm - Konecny
Joshua - Blueger - Garland
Hoglander - Suter - Lafferty

Hughes - Tanev
Zadorov - Hronek
Soucy - Cole

Demko

This is your only shot before Petey leaves. As a great man once said, do not miss your chance to blow.

brock hughes007

Sep 12, 2019
victoria
2024 1st + 2025 2nd + 2024 4th + Lekkerimäki + Myers to Calgary for Lindholm + Tanev (both 50% retained)

Hughes - Tanev
Zadorov - Hronek
Soucy - Cole

Demko

This is your only shot before Petey leaves. As a great man once said, do not miss your chance to blow.
I doubt they are trading Lek,or Willander for any of that.If your trading those guys I'd want something way better then that coming back.

brock hughes007

Sep 12, 2019
victoria
If Seattle is out of the playoffs come tdl.
I'd be curious about guys like Larsson and Gourde.Also one guy I'd like to see back is Tyler Toffoli..As per cost,,I don't know..

Tact

Jul 9, 2006

Hughes - Tanev
Zadorov - Hronek
Soucy - Cole

Demko

Your takes on Vancouver are terrible

eviohh26

Dec 19, 2017
Victoria BC Canada

Hughes - Tanev
Zadorov - Hronek
Soucy - Cole

Demko

Quit trying to turn us into the Sharks.

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
Crosby isnt leaving Pittsburgh if he does it will be to the team of his choosing Colorado are proven winners and his friendship with MacKinnon has greater value than anything he has with a former GM or Coach.
Did you give Sid a call and get this feed back from him or is just a guess? I think he would be more interested in a Vancouver.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
Did you give Sid a call and get this feed back from him or is just a guess? I think he would be more interested in a Vancouver.
Sid isn’t going anywhere this year, maybe never. But I would bet my life Colorado would be his preferred destination if he was to ask for a trade.

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
Allvin and Rutherford have Both came out and said they Owe it to the players to go basically all in this year.

Which means the rest of the prospect pool, a Late 1st Rounder, and young players like Podkolzin are potentially available, also a highly talented Kuzmenko who is struggling this year.
They both said they Won't trade Lekkermaki, Hunter, or Willander.

Let's look at the "NEEDS" (And it's a bit complicated, due to many lineup possibilities).

1 - TOP 6 Forward ( Center if they run the lotto line ) ( Winger if they split up EP40 and JT MIller)
They do have options here which is important to note.

2 - Depth D-man ( Even tho getting a top 4 guy like a Tanev for example would be nice, I feel they don't have the assets to get both a Top 6 F and a top 4 D without trading a top prospect )

So let's look at the lineup -

Pettersson. Miller. Boeser.
Mikheyev. Suter. Kuzmenko.
Joshua. Blueger. Garland.
Höglander. Åman. Lafferty

If the Canucks Decide to stick with the Lotto Line, the Bolded are not going to change.
Hoglander has the ability to move up more permanently, But he fluctuates here and there.

Suter has been a great Edition, but he is more like a 3rd line Center/Winger then a pure 2nd line guy.
That being said, you can't break up that 3rd line which has been monstrous for the canucks this season.

So let's look at the Other Line combination.

Mikheyev Pettersson Kuzmenko
Suter. Miller. Boeser
Joshua. Blueger. Garland
Höglander. Åman. Lafferty.

If they decide to go this route, They need a clear upgrade on the wing.
It evens out the lines a lot more, but if they get a true top 6 Winger which should be cheaper, You can move Hoglander up and Suter into a more defensive role, just a much deeper lineup.

So what do you all think?
Who are the best fits?

Who should the Canucks be looking at?
Some rumored names are Lindholm and Tanev.
Smaller names are Greenway, and Mantha.
Also the huge name in Guentzel

the Vancouver’s have 0 dollars and 0 cents in cap space according to Cap Friendly .. care to revise your post

Vancouver_2010

Canucks and Oilers fan
Jun 21, 2006

Hughes - Tanev
Zadorov - Hronek
Soucy - Cole

Demko

Jim Benning, is that you?

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
I would go all in. You're first in the NHL right now with a young core that's poised for a paycheck raise (Hronek, Pettersson). This means that not only are your players at their prime, but you are as deep in depth as it's going to ever get. You have to go for it, I don't understand the getting your feet wet concept, when you're in the playoffs you go all out especially when you're team is one of the top 5 teams in the NHL.

All it takes is Pettersson to walk, Hughes to get injured and a JT Miller regression to close your playoff window in an instant.

Go for it.

Crosby never once said he wants to play for another team he's not leaving the Pittsburgh Penguins

1706493174648.png

That's what they said about Sundin. Dare to dream :)

Reactions: oceanchild

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Center you can either go two ways, cost effective and trade for Monahan, or you spend and get a Lindholm.

Its wide open but when you have a window to potentially win it all, you take it. I would be trading for Lindholm if I was Vancouver.

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
I would go all in. You're first in the NHL right now with a young core that's poised for a paycheck raise (Hronek, Pettersson). This means that not only are your players at their prime, but you are as deep in depth as it's going to ever get. You have to go for it, I don't understand the getting your feet wet concept, when you're in the playoffs you go all out especially when you're team is one of the top 5 teams in the NHL.

All it takes is Pettersson to walk, Hughes to get injured and a JT Miller regression to close your playoff window in an instant.

Go for it.

View attachment 812349

That's what they said about Sundin. Dare to dream :)
I still have a very hard laugh now and then that a Leafs legend ended his career with the Canucks out of nowhere

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
Center you can either go two ways, cost effective and trade for Monahan, or you spend and get a Lindholm.

Its wide open but when you have a window to potentially win it all, you take it. I would be trading for Lindholm if I was Vancouver.

I don't think the Canucks are going to be interested in either of those players, knowing Allvin and Rutherford, they'll be targeting a top 6 fwd with some term who nobody thinks is available.

Belos

Dec 21, 2019
They need someone who can carry that 2nd pairing 20+ minutes (a night) in the playoffs, or there’s a good chance they’re not winning more than maybe a round. It’s the most important weakness they have.

It’s a huge difference having 2 dmen who can drive that ship. All great teams have at least 2. It’s the difference between 25 minutes a night, and 45-50 minutes a night, carrying play, in a 7 game series.

Tocchet isn’t stupid. He knows he needs 2, because teams will forecheck the heck out of Quinn in the playoffs, and they will wear him down IF there’s nobody else who can carry the play. We’re too deep into the season now, if they believed Hronek was that guy, not to have been playing him in that role. To be fair, it’s why Detroit got rid of him as well, so it looks like that’s not in the cards.

So if Chychrun is available, he should be their main target. It would be the move that could put them over the top. They’d be way harder to matchup against come a 7 game series.

Make the big move.

If they can’t get him, or someone who can play that role, they’ll need another role player who’s tough to play against. That will help their D NOT getting worn down as quickly. Obviously Tanev fits that role, but there’s several others who can play that role as well.

The second thing they need, is a forward who can give them some tough minutes in the playoffs. Someone who can win battles, is hard to play against, and can play in their Top 6 if needed. Teams don’t like trading those types though. Greenway from Buffalo maybe?

If they can’t get that type of guy, try getting at least someone who will win battles and give them some hard minutes. Fischer or Kostin from Detroit would fit that bill. Not sure they’re available, but if Detroit ends up selling Fischer or Kostin could be a solid add for their bottom 6. Either gives them someone to win those battles, and they’re hard players to play against.

Chychrun should be their big target though, and it sounds like Ottawa is willing to deal him. It would be huge because teams can’t just zero in on wearing Hughes down, and it would keep Hronek with Hughes. Their blue line would be very hard to matchup against.
Pretty nicely summarized your team real needs. Chychrun tho? I'd be slightly weary of players who may leave multiple teams in a short span of time in questionable terms.

Reactions: Petes2424

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
Sid isn’t going anywhere this year, maybe never. But I would bet my life Colorado would be his preferred destination if he was to ask for a trade.
Your life, that’s a bit much. Relax their tiger.

Crosby never once said he wants to play for another team he's not leaving the Pittsburgh Penguins
So he is going to play the rest of his career in a team that is irrelevant and needs to rebuild. Might as well retire now, because I find it hard to believe that a guy who is that competitive is going to be happy missing the playoffs and hoping and dreaming of going on a wild run would be happy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad