Speculation: If you were the GM, How would you play the Canucks Trade Deadline?

nergish

Jun 1, 2019
Genuinely wouldn't do very much.

They're a nice story this year but they're not going to do anything in the playoffs. Once they go up against the big boys in the West in a 7 game series they wont hold up. It'll be part of the learning experience for a lot of guys on that team that could set them up to become a powerhouse and one of those "big boys" in the West next year a moving forward.

Could still probably move the 1st+ for a player with term or someone they want to re-sign but I wouldn't be going all, all in at all if I'm the Canucks. They aren't good enough yet or experienced in the playoffs to be throwing it all on the line.

Though if things really aren't great with Pettersson and he really might force his way out this summer, that puts them in a much tougher spot and then yeah you probably do need to go all in with this group this year.
"Big boys" like Colorado and their boy George in net?

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
I wonder, is it even possible for Montreal to send back Pearson for a pick, since it's within a year ? What if it was only for future considerations ? I mean, it would be embarassing if the only way to send him back was through waivers.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
I wonder, is it even possible for Montreal to send back Pearson for a pick, since it's within a year ? What if it was only for future considerations ? I mean, it would be embarassing if the only way to send him back was through waivers.
Think they can send him back no issue

canadianmagpie

Jan 26, 2010
Agreed, but I think it's a mirage, just not in a good situation in CGY. He seems like the best fit for what VAN needs, the right handed shot at C, the ability to move to wing, solidifies both the PP units and the PK.

For Lindholm straight up, no retention or extension, I would do something like '24 1st, '25 2nd, and Raty/Podkolzin

If VAN wants to send Kuzmenko the other way, maybe something like Lindholm + Rooney for Kuz, '24 1st, Raty/Podz

If it's for an extended Lindholm, then I think it should be something like Lekkerimaki, '24 1st, Raty/Podz, or Kuz, Brustewicz, '24 1st, '25 2nd. Lekk is great, but VAN is deep at wing, and I feel that Lindholm would be a crucial piece for contention over the next few years. Willander is untouchable, IMHO.

Other options for VAN that would be appealing? I would say if PHI was willing, maybe a Laughton + Walker deal with Kuzmenko and 1 of Raty/Podz going the other way, since PHI is competing for a playoff spot and could use the offence, while VAN could use the PK stability?

Also, ARZ fans: What would Hayton cost? Would Lekkerimaki be of interest?

Fair enough, but it's a gamble and I wouldn't pay too much for it. If I'm moving a winger, even though Kuzmenko is more in Tocchet's doghouse, I move Mikheyev.

I don't move any good prospects for Lindholm. If someone else wants to pay a premium for a struggling forward, I let them. Don't overpay.

Reactions: David71

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010

For what purpose though? Canucks don't want Pearson back. At all. :laugh:

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Coupla good names here.
Best projected return is Jenner, but he will cost

I don't think it is a fit, and Rs would ask more not less for LaF, who has turned the corner. It would be Raty + to start, w/competitive bids ending that discussion.

D league wide is short supply
NY should deal Lindgren sell high in a seller's market and give mins to Robertson

There I am thinking something in the area of
Lindgren + Jones
for
Rasmussen + DET 2nd

not sure you want to top that

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
If the outlook on a Pettersson extension is good, show restraint.

If not, push the chips to the middle; the only untouchables should be future 1sts. The top end talent won't be this good again in that scenario.

I dunno, I mean if you look at the age when star forwards actually win their Cups it’s now or in the next couple of years for EP. Stars can keep their regular season stats up for a long time, but the physical bounce back needed to win 4 playoff rounds fades more quickly.

Reactions: biturbo19

eojsmada

Oct 23, 2022
Depth forward...depth defenseman...not much else. Don't want to ruin the room and you want to be able to reload and go again next year. This is not a Cup or bust year for them.

PettersonHughes

Aug 26, 2020
For me, I'd trade for (with at most a 2nd) and re-sign Henrique for a short contract, I think he can still be valuable in a top-6 capacity. Then trade Kuzmenko for Tyler Bertuzzi and get the grit. I think Bertuzzi - Henrique - Mikheyev can be a versatile top-6 unit, where Mikheyev can be the speedy forecheck/ threat off the rush, as can Bertuzzi in going hard to the net in the offensive zone, and Henrique can be the versatile glue guy who does all the little things (win draws and either set up his linemates or score himself). Stick them behind the Lotto Line when it's reunited and let it cook.

As well, I'd explore the 1st for Chychrun and see if Myers can be moved.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
I dont think Provorov is a perfect fit but with retention hes a cheap deal that can relieve some minutes of the top pair that is going to be played way too much in the playoffs.

Up front they need size and grit

Reactions: biturbo19

mkatcherin00

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2023
I would go all in. You don't know what will happen year to year. Ask Petey WTF his plans are too lol.

Reactions: Blueston

turkulad

Sep 27, 2011
Turku, Finland
I'm either rooting for an unsexy 2C/3C tweener C young enough to add to the core or a surprise 2LW or 2RW with only roster guys ready to part with Kuzmenko and.. well, no one. Laughton or Wennberg would be nice. Cheap depth/pressbox D to battle with Juulsen would be a good bonus. Tanev should be targeted next UFA season, not now, sentimental moods regardless.

Depending on the quality/age of the winger, 1st and Lek or Hunter should be available, but only if there is a real fit and the Tocchet compability could be foreseeable.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Don’t go after Lindholm if it's an overpayment
Don’t trade prospects developing well, especially right shot defense prospects

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Blueston

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
If I were the nucks, I'd go pretty aggressive.

See if they can get CBJ to bite on a deal around Kuzmenko + Garland + podkolzin for Laine

Then a 1st, Juulsen & maybe another depth prospect for Tanev @50%

Tanev/Laine added to this group would easily cement them as favorites going into the PO's, and the cap savings swapping Laine for Garland/Kuz helps them in the offseason with Pete's big extension
What about Laine screams "playoff hockey" to you? I don't get that at all.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
What about Laine screams "playoff hockey" to you? I don't get that at all.
Umm 8g 16pts in 24 games, in his PO games, all of which before he hit 21

If healthy & on a playoff team, he'll produce, only question is how much... I'd bet on floor being .6ppg, ceiling 1ppg+

Imo the question is cost & cap fit. If CBJ is willing to take Garland/Kuzmenko, it's a no brainer for the nucks. Podkolzin is a worthwhile cost for van & benefit for CBJ from this outsiders pov

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Being #1 in the NHL is rare, even for perennial contenders. They should absolutely make a big move or two to give themselves the best chance at winning a cup.
They absolutely will, it’s just what exactly are they targeting.
Remember when the hronek trade happened, absolutely nobody was reporting on it.

It came out of nowhere.

I wonder if something similar might happened

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,217.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia