Proposal: I WANT TANEV!!!!! (TOR/VAN)

Status
Not open for further replies.

member 290103

We have NHL calibre d- men. We could add Tanev, hence the thread. We have even made offers. I have also made an offer of a third round pick which I think is a fair offer. Not everyone agrees though. Some are ridiculous though like the 1st, 2nd and prospect nonsense. But lots of posters are fair. Some as high as a conditional 2nd based on games played.

LOL. Looking forward to the inevitable obliteration of the Leafs that will occur as soon as teams lock down in the playoffs. Turnstiles and pylons does not make a Stanley Cup contender.

To be honest, the less active the Leafs are with their D the better. It will provide me with some entertainment this coming season. LMAO.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

member 290103

Leafs were a better than average team when it came to goals against.
Not that it's a direct barometer to your defense but they can't be thay horid.

Only "pylon " we had left (Polak)

We also had 105 points and were a top 10 team, so not sure what the insult is supposed to be here? "Haha you guys outscored people last year and now you want more offense! Idiots smh"

Regular seasons are of little relevance when it comes to the playoffs. Laffs are evidence of this from just last year. Again though, just leave your crap D as is. It's better for us that enjoy watching the team crash and burn.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
LOL. Looking forward to the inevitable obliteration of the Leafs that will occur as soon as teams lock down in the playoffs. Turnstiles and pylons does not make a Stanley Cup contender.

To be honest, the less active the Leafs are with their D the better. It will provide me with some entertainment this coming season. LMAO.
Yeah, I can see you doing that. When the Canucks aren't winning their fans will leave. Should be a great year! Welcome aboard!

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
Yeah, I can see you doing that. When the Canucks aren't winning their fans will leave. Should be a great year! Welcome aboard!
We have forgot the taste of winning. Half a decade as a bottom 3 team. Tickets have become very cheap in Vancouver.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
The best team in hockey is the one that wins the cup. If you are satisfied with regular season success over post season success then I hope you enjoy your presidents trophy. I watched the leafs/lightning series and I just though the Leafs looked flat. I though there star players were neutralised and weren't able to elevate. I though Winnipeg was far superior in that they play a style that is designed for the playoffs whereas the leafs just couldn't ramp it up.

I think he means, the best record from January, until the end of the regular season... and he'd be right.

That being said, the right side of the Leafs defense was exposed multiple times in the regular season as well. Matthews was injured, and obviously wasn't playing his best hockey, in the playoffs, and the rest of the team didn't elevate enough to make up for that. Young group, good learning experience. The addition of Tavares is a defensive positive, as well as an offensive. Bozak was mediocre to poor in his own end, and Tavares is quite good. The Leafs do need to improved the back end though, and like I've said, a healthy Tanev would be a great compliment.... (though maybe the unavailable Josh Manson would be about perfect). Anybody who suggests a third is good value for Tanev, obviously doesn't have a clue, or is trolling though. You don't get a premier right handed defensive player for scraps, it's that simple, even one who has to be slightly discounted due to an injury history.

Reactions: jimslob and skyo

member 105785

I suggest you do since it's a counterpoint to your initial comment.

So why didn't the rest of Van's players break down like Tanev?
Do they travel less?
Play less?

I do not care to look it up. dmen always become fragile after they go to Van even iron men like Hamhuis and Ballard, Salo, Alberts, Bieksa was called injury prone his entire time here and it hasn't been brought up since, Ohlund, Edler hasn't left the Canucks yet but I'm sure he will shed the label in due time.

Thorvat

Jul 8, 2018
I think he means, the best record from January, until the end of the regular season... and he'd be right.

That being said, the right side of the Leafs defense was exposed multiple times in the regular season as well. Matthews was injured, and obviously wasn't playing his best hockey, in the playoffs, and the rest of the team didn't elevate enough to make up for that. Young group, good learning experience. The addition of Tavares is a defensive positive, as well as an offensive. Bozak was mediocre to poor in his own end, and Tavares is quite good. The Leafs do need to improved the back end though, and like I've said, a healthy Tanev would be a great compliment.... (though maybe the unavailable Josh Manson would be about perfect). Anybody who suggests a third is good value for Tanev, obviously doesn't have a clue, or is trolling though. You don't get a premier right handed defensive player for scraps, it's that simple, even one who has to be slightly discounted due to an injury history.
The leafs D as is doesn't look like a unit that's going to go deep in the playoffs. I can guarantee Tanev (injury history or not) is not going to be traded for a discount. Leafs fans can keep dreaming but if they want to improve their D they are going to have to trade pieces they aren't going to be happy trading away.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
The leafs D as is doesn't look like a unit that's going to go deep in the playoffs. I can guarantee Tanev (injury history or not) is not going to be traded for a discount. Leafs fans can keep dreaming but if they want to improve their D they are going to have to trade pieces they aren't going to be happy trading away.
Doesn't look that way in your opinion. I think Tanev would be a good addition to the d. I don't want a discount, just what I consider fair value. Vancouver shouldn't sell him for less than his value. It is the precived value that varies widely on this thread. You already know and disagree with what I think, but I have no problems with Vancouver, and I have no interest in ripping off the Canucks.

Thorvat

Jul 8, 2018
Doesn't look that way in your opinion. I think Tanev would be a good addition to the d. I don't want a discount, just what I consider fair value. Vancouver shouldn't sell him for less than his value. It is the precived value that varies widely on this thread. You already know and disagree with what I think, but I have no problems with Vancouver, and I have no interest in ripping off the Canucks.
You were the one who said your offer would be a third round pick. Even most leafs fans agree that is a ridiculous offer.

Reactions: jimslob

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

Even those Vancouver fans, who can come to terms with what Tanev could bring back, agree it's a discount. Am 82 game a year Tanev, a top pairing, reliable guy.... that's a guy that they ask starts with Nylander. Nobody is asking for such.... so yes, it's a discount. Last year, Vegas D, on paper, at the start of the year, didn't look like they'd go deep... heck, the whole team didn't look like they'd make the playoffs at the start of the year. Pittsburgh's D the year before, with the injuries, wouldn't look like they could go deep... but they won the cup. I am a strong proponent to fixing our weaknesses, but team D is more than just the D. We've improved team D over the start of last year, but will see how that actually plays out, because the game isn't played on paper. We may very well need to upgrade, but this team is safe to make the playoffs, barring major injuries... if we look weak, against elite teams defensively, I hope that gets addressed. Maybe with Tanev... at a discount. ;-)

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
You were the one who said your offer would be a third round pick. Even most leafs fans agree that is a ridiculous offer.
Yes, that is what I would offer. Some Leaf fans would disagree, others wouldn't. I think only one Leaf fan would think it ridiculous. You know the one as you called him reasonable. Lol.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Yes, that is what I would offer. Some Leaf fans would disagree, others wouldn't. I think only one Leaf fan would think it ridiculous. You know the one as you called him reasonable. Lol.
More than one Leaf fan would call a 3rd ridiculous. Gudbranson would cost more than a 3rd, and Tanev>>>>>>Gudbranson.

Reactions: THE Green Man

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Regular seasons are of little relevance when it comes to the playoffs. Laffs are evidence of this from just last year. Again though, just leave your crap D as is. It's better for us that enjoy watching the team crash and burn.
well have fun next year

Last edited:

member 290103

No, I agree it is a perfect offer. If that is what Dufas offered, I'd be happy to hear it because even Dim Benning is not dumb enough to take that. Adding Tanev makes the Leafs better. Defense wins championships, not offense. The weaker the Leafs are on D, the longer they keep employing turnstiles and pylons, the better for me.....I will enjoy seeing them get built up all year and then implode like they do every year once again.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
I see this theme pop up in several posts. Can somebody explain what is the thinking or rationale behind the concept of "no team will offer more (than the Leafs offer)"? Seems odd to assume that anyone really knows what a team could and will offer, let alone what all the other teams would offer .....

Does it have something to do with the belief that the Leafs have all of the good prospects, or far superior prospects in presumably both quality & quantity, while the other teams have none/very few/significantly less?

This kind of comment seems confusing.

Not saying i agree, but it may stem from the fact that for parts of the last 2 seasons, Toronto has been linked to Tanev trade talks...not sure if other teams have been directly linked or, if they have, as many times as the Leafs.

And totally off topic....can this Marshalls pop up add **** off already????

You might be right about that. Its hard to know if you've seen every article and scrap of info for a topic like this.

Mostly what I've seen is speculation from media sources focused on the Leafs versus a trade rumour from the Canucks camp. I saw on article from what I believe is a local Vancouver (or B.C.) media outlet, but unfortunately the article does not open (gets hung up while playing the first part of a commercial).

At any rate, it seems unlikely that anyone can say with any degree of confidence or validity that "there will never be a better offer than this". It seems likely that what is known or stated is a subset of all info as much of this would be kept under wraps.

Killer Orcas

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
And that team then lost to a team that was better than them in the regular season....
Since 2002-03 only 2 Presidents Trophy winner's have won the Cup. 2007-08 Red Wings and 2012-13 Black Hawks. Sure it gets you home ice advantage to have a great regular season but lose 1 of the first 2 and it's all for not. Regular season results mean nothing after the first round really. Playoff hockey is a different animal for most part and much tighter checking then regular season.

TeamBester

Debunked
Feb 15, 2010
Kingston, Ontario
No, I agree it is a perfect offer. If that is what Dufas offered, I'd be happy to hear it because even Dim Benning is not dumb enough to take that. Adding Tanev makes the Leafs better. Defense wins championships, not offense. The weaker the Leafs are on D, the longer they keep employing turnstiles and pylons, the better for me.....I will enjoy seeing them get built up all year and then implode like they do every year once again.

After last October, the Leafs were 6th in gaa, and I think only gave up 1 3rd period lead for a loss all year. I'm sure a solid start, after adding another franchise center, and subtracting the only pylon we had in Polak, the Leafs will be even better.

As you were, pretending you know anything about the Leafs.

Reactions: DoobieDubas
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad