Proposal: I WANT TANEV!!!!! (TOR/VAN)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thorvat

Jul 8, 2018
Nope....just pointing out how stupid your post was.
Liljegren will likely still be in the AHL next year and Dahlin will likely step in to a top pairing role in Buffalo and is a FOA pick. Tanev is a proven commodity at the NHL level. Liljegren may never live up to the hype.

He could be as good as McAvoy or maybe he ends up more like Derrick Pouliot

Last edited:

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Liljegren will likely still be in the AHL next year and Dahlin will likely step in to a top pairing role in Buffalo and is a FOA pick. Tanev is a proven commodity at the NHL level. Liljegren may never live up to the hype.

The same can be said for any prospect but Liljegren may also be a top pairing Dman 2-3 years from now.

The Leafs aren't thinking short term which is why they wouldn't even consider trading our highly touted top prospect who played great in his first year after being drafted for an injury prone 28 year old. It's not complicated.

Maybe this will help - if someone offered you the equivalent of Tanev for Hughes, how interested would you be?

Thorvat

Jul 8, 2018
The same can be said for any prospect but Liljegren may also be a top pairing Dman 2-3 years from now.

The Leafs aren't thinking short term which is why they wouldn't even consider trading our highly touted top prospect who played great in his first year after being drafted for an injury prone 28 year old. It's not complicated.
I agree, but at this point he's still a gamble and could turn out more like Pouliot then McAvoy.

My point is that Canucks management has said it would take a special offer to decide to trade Tanev. I just don't see many pieces being offered that make it enticing enough to move him.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I agree, but at this point he's still a gamble and could turn out more like Pouliot then McAvoy.

My point is that Canucks management has said it would take a special offer to decide to trade Tanev. I just don't see many pieces being offered that make it enticing enough to move him.

Like I said, anything can happen. Liljegren's upside is tremendous though and it would take a lot more than Tanev to pry him loose. Prospects that are rated so highly almost never get traded, there's a reason for that.

Thorvat

Jul 8, 2018
Like I said, anything can happen. Liljegren's upside is tremendous though and it would take a lot more than Tanev to pry him loose. Prospects that are rated so highly almost never get traded, there's a reason for that.
Yeah I am sure pens fans thought Pouliots upside was tremendous when he was drafted at 8th overall and now he got traded to us for a 4th.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Yeah I am sure pens fans thought Pouliots upside was tremendous when he was drafted at 8th overall and now he got traded to us for a 4th.

Some picks pan out, some don't, is this news? Are you looking to trade Hughes because you understand that he may never amount to anything?

Reactions: Raymoondo

Thorvat

Jul 8, 2018
Some picks pan out, some don't, is this news? Are you looking to trade Hughes because you understand that he may never amount to anything?
No, just trying to point out he's not as can't miss as he's being made out to be and he's still a gamble at this point.

Thorvat

Jul 8, 2018
I think we've covered this ground before.
Hey, in my opinion we've covered all the ground that could possibly be covered in regards to tanev to the leafs in this thread. This thread keeps getting resurrected by leafs fans, presumably because they still want Tanev on the leafs and they want the whole world to know they want him for scraps.

Honestly would like to see this thread locked.

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
No, just trying to point out he's not as can't miss as he's being made out to be and he's still a gamble at this point.
So Hughes for Carrick should be a fair deal.

Carrick has NHL experience and Hughes is definitely not a can't miss prospect (see Pouliot) so you guys make out like bandits.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
What has liljegren proven at the NHL level. Nothing. Just because he's a first rounder he's untouchable.

He could be as good as McAvoy or maybe he ends up more like Derrick Pouliot

Hey, in my opinion we've covered all the ground that could possibly be covered in regards to tanev to the leafs in this thread. This thread keeps getting resurrected by leafs fans, presumably because they still want Tanev on the leafs and they want the whole world to know they want him for scraps.

Honestly would like to see this thread locked.

So ... you're repeating the same thing over and over again and then complaining that the thread should be locked but Leaf fans are keeping it going. :laugh::laugh:

No offence pal but it's time to take a look in the mirror.

Thorvat

Jul 8, 2018
So ... you're repeating the same thing over and over again and then complaining that the thread should be locked but Leaf fans are keeping it going. :laugh::laugh:

No offence pal but it's time to take a look in the mirror.
Har har. Good one pal. This thread was rusurrected from the depths a few days ago by leaf fans.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Har har. Good one pal. This thread was rusurrected from the depths a few days ago by leaf fans.

Yes, all of us...every single one of us got together and decided to bring this thread back. The hardest part was picking the one guy to make the post that brought it back....voting took forever....

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Just about as fair as your offers for Tanev!
Lets actually make it a fair comparison...would you trade 1st round pick but unproven Hughes for oft injured but proven Tyler Myers? But wait, you'd say "Myers is UFA next season!!" OK, what about Hamonic? Almost identical contract....not quite the injury history?

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
I’d switch Carrick for a second with no conditions if you drop the first for another second. So rasanen + 2x 2nd round picks.
I'd need a 1st round pick guaranteed. Realistically with adding Tanev after already picking up JT, that is probably a pick in the 26+ range. So essentially it already is a 2nd round pick.

Maybe this will help - if someone offered you the equivalent of Tanev for Hughes, how interested would you be?
I do get what you're getting at but come on Hughes >>>>>> Lilgren
So....we still good for a 1st (2019) + 2nd (2020)?
Add Rasanen and put a GP condition on the 2020 2nd and I'd be in.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I'd need a 1st round pick guaranteed. Realistically with adding Tanev after already picking up JT, that is probably a pick in the 26+ range. So essentially it already is a 2nd round pick.

I don't know much about Hughes TBH but I have seen Liljegren play, the kid as amazing and I think he has an excellent shot at being a top pairing PMD. It doesn't matter though and if Hughes is better that's great, if you got my point that's all that matters.

I have mixed feelings about Tanev. In principle I'd be fine with parting with picks/prospects for a good Dman, especially one who plays on the right side. On the other hand, if he gets injured before the playoffs start then what good is he? A first and a second plus Rasanen sound like a lot to give up though for two years of Tanev - I think if we did trade for him we'd be thinking in terms of a two year rental to tide us over until Liljegren is ready.

Fortunately I have faith in our management group and if they decide to trade for Tanev I'll trust that they're not overpaying and they believe he can stay healthy enough to help us in the playoffs.

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
I don't know much about Hughes TBH but I have seen Liljegren play, the kid as amazing and I think he has an excellent shot at being a top pairing PMD. It doesn't matter though and if Hughes is better that's great, if you got my point that's all that matters.

I have mixed feelings about Tanev. In principle I'd be fine with parting with picks/prospects for a good Dman, especially one who plays on the right side. On the other hand, if he gets injured before the playoffs start then what good is he? A first and a second plus Rasanen sound like a lot to give up though for two years of Tanev - I think if we did trade for him we'd be thinking in terms of a two year rental to tide us over until Liljegren is ready.

Fortunately I have faith in our management group and if they decide to trade for Tanev I'll trust that they're not overpaying and they believe he can stay healthy enough to help us in the playoffs.
Fair I suppose. Though this right now is probably your best chance to go all in this season. Only Nylander needs his extension this year, so you still have one year now with Marner and Matthews still on their ELC contracts. Not saying that the window is going to slam shut after this season, but this is the season that you have that ability to really add a piece that would be huge like Tanev now, and then add again at the TDL.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Fair I suppose. Though this right now is probably your best chance to go all in this season. Only Nylander needs his extension this year, so you still have one year now with Marner and Matthews still on their ELC contracts. Not saying that the window is going to slam shut after this season, but this is the season that you have that ability to really add a piece that would be huge like Tanev now, and then add again at the TDL.

It's a fine line we need to walk (balancing the now with the future). On one hand we're definitely in win now mode but on the other hand, we should be a contender for many years to come so we have to be careful not to be impatient and give up too much future in an effort to win now. We also have Liljegren on the way and some think he could be ready to help in the spring so the best trade might be the one we don't make. The numbers have been crunched and it looks like we can keep our core together for many years so I fully expect to stay among the elite teams in the league for the foreseeable future. What this means is that we really need to keep the pipeline stocked so that we have come cheap talent to surround our core with. That said, the only thing missing that would perfectly balance our team is a good right handed Dman so that is the one piece I could see coughing up some futures for.

It all depends on how our brass feels about Tanev's ability to stay healthy going forward. If they like his chances then I could see a deal like this happening as a 2 year rental suits our needs rather well. If not, we'll be looking elsewhere.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Here are some other players from teams that weren't very good. These stats are across 3 seasons. The bad team accounts for some of it, but Tanev doesn't stand up against guys who were playing on the 3rd pairing. That's why no one wants to give up a franchise player - Tanev can defend, but he's a black hole offensively, and doesn't handle the puck well. He has a significantly worse corsi than his teammates, so you cannot blame the bad team for that.

I still think he's a #2-3 on a mediocre defence core, and many teams could use a player like him, but as you can see I wasn't cherry picking.

Hjalmarsson

07.27.2018-14.31.png

Petry

07.27.2018-14.31.png

Boychuk

07.27.2018-14.32.png

Hamhuis

07.27.2018-14.34.png

so what say Nux fans

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Agreed. Most leafs fan want tanev because he is a solid rightside dman who could be had at a reasonable price (due to injury concerns). I would trade a 1st and a b type prospect. Maybe someone like rasanen or holl?
The equivalen to a first and a second. He carries risk but is a solid dman

tbqh I'd rather the Leafs played Holl while Tanev is on LTIR

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
I don't know if you need Liljegren, but you need a 1st round pick. If Dufas does not want to go there, you just retain Tanev and enjoy the debacle coming in the playoffs when the Leafs D get turnstiled like last year. Who will be crying this year? JG again?
boy do ever know hockey, you're like a hockey expert or something like that right?

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012

Drop the condition and make it Neilsen and you have a deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad