Proposal: I WANT TANEV!!!!! (TOR/VAN)

Status
Not open for further replies.

member 290103

After last October, the Leafs were 6th in gaa, and I think only gave up 1 3rd period lead for a loss all year. I'm sure a solid start, after adding another franchise center, and subtracting the only pylon we had in Polak, the Leafs will be even better.

As you were, pretending you know anything about the Leafs.

Playoff indicated otherwise. Enjoy your stellar regular season.

Jul 10, 2003
KW
Kapanen brings nothing to the table Vancouver needs. Vancouver has many prospects/young players of his calibre, Liepsic, Goldobin, Gaudette, Lind, Gadjovich, etc all project or are the tweener Kapanen is.
If its not for a d prospect or package of pics, I dont see a deal between the two.

Something like a 2019 first, 2019 third, and a conditional pick based on how the leafs do. for example a 3rd for making playoffs, 2nd for conf finals with certain amnt of games played in playoffs, 1st for sc finals with certain amount of games played in playoffs.

I'd think Toronto would prefer to deal a late 1st and keep Kapanen anyhow. He does bring something to the table btw, his speed stands out even on Toronto, where he's clearly the fastest skater. It seems like he gets a break away every game almost. Many while shorthanded. Pretty sure Babcock has plans to mold him into an elite checker.

I did say in this thread that I'd be willing to do a 1st + 2nd, which is pretty similar to what you would want.

I don't think that Vancouver accepts, they're probably salivating at a Tanev - Hughes pairing as we speak.

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
If we’re going to trade Tanev I think we’d need Liljegren coming back. We aren’t deep at defense, Edler and Tanev are necessary anchors to help shelter our up and comers. I don’t think we can give Tanev away unless we get a young defenseman back, but I may not be enamoured by draft picks as much as the next guy at this stage of the rebuild.

member 290103

If we’re going to trade Tanev I think we’d need Liljegren coming back. We aren’t deep at defense, Edler and Tanev are necessary anchors to help shelter our up and comers. I don’t think we can give Tanev away unless we get a young defenseman back, but I may not be enamoured by draft picks as much as the next guy at this stage of the rebuild.

I don't know if you need Liljegren, but you need a 1st round pick. If Dufas does not want to go there, you just retain Tanev and enjoy the debacle coming in the playoffs when the Leafs D get turnstiled like last year. Who will be crying this year? JG again?

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

Liljegren isn't ready for the NHL at this point anyway. If you NEED a NHL ready defenseman, he isn't your guy.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Playoff indicated otherwise. Enjoy your stellar regular season.

so by that logic, the preds with 117pts, werent one of the best 4 teams for the year right?
by that logic, the sens were the 3rd best team the year prior?

SMH. nucks fans....

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Let's be honest here, the problem really isn't the injury history. Take a look at a guy like Malkin. He is injured every single year and rarely makes it over 70 games, and no one really asks him to block the same amount of shots as Tanev, yet any trade involving Malkin will get full value. Now clearly this is not a good comparison because Malkin is arguably the 3rd best player in hockey, but it does paint the picture for me. The problem with Tanev is not his injury history, it's his pedigree and the fact that he puts up no points, among other smaller things. Had he been drafted in one of the first two rounds and had he put up more than his projected 22 points a season (so basically if he were more like Vlasic), then clearly public opinion would be much higher as he'd also have had much more exposure.

Given a fan base as big as Toronto's, where the majority of fans that follow the team are generally uninformed about other teams, it's hard for management to justify giving up a couple of decently valuable assets for a defenseman who doesn't put up points, who hasn't really got much of a personality, who isn't flashy, in fact barely noticeable (in a good sense), who isn't very physical either. Tanev is that one player on every team who does all the small things right, but only people with a background in hockey really notice it. There's huge value in that for any team and it would clearly help the Leafs contend in the playoffs, but there is an image issue. Also risk. Toronto just got rid of Lupul in a rather weird way that generated a bit of media buzz. If the same thing were to happen to Tanev, it really could lead to reprecussions. And since Toronto hasn't won a cup in who knows how long... and now is their best chance, they might want to stay away from non-calculable risks. With this I mean that no one can really tell how the next season is going to go for Tanev. He could rebound to the form he showed at the beginning of the year and put up a 40 point season, or he could get a career-ending injury.

Tanev is not a good fit for Toronto, but not because of the player. It's because of the circumstances. Vancouver is better off keeping him for Quinn. This trade deadline we should have enough chips in possibly Edler, MDZ and Gagner which we could use to trade for a couple of picks. But we all know Benning won't trade anyone anyway. He's made something like 7 trades in the past 3 years and he didn't do very well on half of them. Either way, Toronto really isn't a good fit.

this is a pretty weak comparison. Tanev has NEVER gotten more than 70 in his hockey career. Malkin has played 82 twice, and is coming off a 78 game season. Tanev is coming off 53 and 42 game seasons....

Feb 24, 2017
They're one of the top teams in the league, that's obvious and requires no special insight on how the "odds work".
6D197947-0FC4-4D17-95E5-2769F43D37EB.gif

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

LOL.

Not a hope in hell you're getting Liljegren for Tanev.

That's deep, thanks for sharing.

Reactions: Namikaze Minato

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
What has liljegren proven at the NHL level. Nothing. Just because he's a first rounder he's untouchable.
Odd statement.
I doubt they would move him for Tanev but he's certainly not "untouchable".

dbaz

Jan 29, 2010
He does bring something to the table btw, his speed stands out even on Toronto, where he's clearly the fastest skater.
Canucks have speed and players of his type coming up which is why I said he doesn't bring anything new to them they don't already have.
Late first and a 2nd probably isn't enough for the Canucks either which is why they'd probably rather take a gamble with an additional conditional pick like they did with the Hansen deal

Thorvat

Jul 8, 2018
Nobody's untouchable. What's that got to do with anything?
I meant untouchable in a Tanev trade. It just seems any asset that would be attracive to the Canucks is untouchable to most leafs fans. I guess that means the leafs and nucks aren't good trade partners as I would assume that if Canucks management was willing to deal him for the kind of offers leafs fans would be ok with giving up that he would have been traded by now.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Are you really comparing liljegren to dahlin. Leafs fans sure do hype their prospects.
Nope....just pointing out how stupid your post was. Liljegren has proven nothing at the NHL level....because he's not in the NHL.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad