Post-Game Talk: I ****ing benched Franzen in my fantasy league

crashman

I don't think we can mess with the youngest kid line. To think we could roll this when healthy:

Zetterberg - Datsyuk - Weiss
Nyquist - Franzen - Alfredsson
Jurco - Sheahan - Tatar
Abdelkader - Helm - Miller

That is just ****ing nuts. Shame we won't get Zetterberg back until likely next season.

There's a good chance he'd be ready for the playoffs, if we make it.

AD1066

Sep 30, 2011
I don't think we can mess with the youngest kid line. To think we could roll this when healthy:

Jurco - Sheahan - Tatar

That is just ****ing nuts. Shame we won't get Zetterberg back until likely next season.

That's a thing of beauty. We've come a long way since October.

The Geelee

Jul 27, 2013

Jurco - Sheahan - Tatar

Detroit could be a serious dark horse if they make it in and ice a lineup that looks something similar to this.

That is a deep forward group

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
If that happens... the transition between the Eurotwins and what comes after might not be THAT tough... I still think Nyquist is going to become better but they both got some serious skill!

I think Nyquist is going to be a great player but just watch Jurco out there. He has much better size that he actually uses to his benefit, hes just as fast or faster and when he gets the puck on his stick hes so silky smooth. Hes 3 years younger as well. Once it all comes together for him hes going to be unreal.

If Nyquist keeps up this tear much longer I might have to rethink my opinion but Jurco has some serious potential

As for the Franzen Neil stuff. Franzen was being an idiot, if you know a tough guy like Neil gets fired up at the end of blowouts, stop provoking him. Lay off the stick work and dont get in scrums with him. Franzen wasnt innocent and it annoys me that hell play like that in a blowout, too soft to drop his gloves then run his mouth to the media.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Detroit could be a serious dark horse if they make it in and ice a lineup that looks something similar to this.

That is a deep forward group

Same ol' defense though. But yes, could do something similar to last year, difference is the East is weaker.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
As for the Franzen Neil stuff. Franzen was being an idiot, if you know a tough guy like Neil gets fired up at the end of blowouts, stop provoking him. Lay off the stick work and dont get in scrums with him. Franzen wasnt innocent and it annoys me that hell play like that in a blowout, too soft to drop his gloves then run his mouth to the media.

Poor Neil can't take a little bit of stick work? The guy is a joke, plain and simple. He went after Sheahan in the 1st for going after the puck in front of the goaltender and continued to be a moron throughout the game.Why should Franzen have to drop his gloves at all?

Also I find your assertion he was "running his mouth" to the media. They asked him a question, and he answered it honestly. He wasn't going out of his way to tell the world what a jerk Neil is.

NyquistIsMyGod*

Why would Johan Franzen drop his gloves after being out for two + months with a concussion against a heavyweight? He didn't back down from Chris Neil. Just because he didn't back down doesn't mean he has to fight. **** like that costed Ottawa all night (Cowen going for the HUGE hit etc).

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
Why would Johan Franzen drop his gloves after being out for two + months with a concussion against a heavyweight? He didn't back down from Chris Neil. Just because he didn't back down doesn't mean he has to fight. **** like that costed Ottawa all night (Cowen going for the HUGE hit etc).

Well, you see, he shouldn't have to, Bran.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Poor Neil can't take a little bit of stick work? The guy is a joke, plain and simple. He went after Sheahan in the 1st for going after the puck in front of the goaltender and continued to be a moron throughout the game.Why should Franzen have to drop his gloves at all?

Also I find your assertion he was "running his mouth" to the media. They asked him a question, and he answered it honestly. He wasn't going out of his way to tell the world what a jerk Neil is.

When youre up 6-1, just coming off a concussion and start using your stick and running your mouth at a guy whose a known tough guy I would say Franzen is the idiot. Franzen doesnt have to drop his gloves but dont sit there in a 6-1 game, start pissing off one of the leagues legit tough guys and expect everything to be rainbows and cupcakes. And to top it all off he wants to stir up the pot but when it comes to it he does his fighting by calling him names in the media.

Act like a winner in a 6-1 game, dont call guys names in the media because he wanted to finish a fight that you already started. Saying he put his cape on and flew around out there and all that is over the top. You will never have to drop your gloves or have guys wanting to fight you if you dont provoke them. If youre going to provoke fighters in a 6-1 game, I think even Franzen can figure out what was going to happen.

Why didnt he just say to the media... "We were blowing them out and he got frustrated, it happens in hockey". Instead he takes a shot at the guy he provoked into fighting calling him a jerk and putting a cape on. Not every player in the league is too scared to back up their actions like Franzen, especially coming off your injury just stay out of all that crap during the game and after the game dont start calling names

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
When youre up 6-1, just coming off a concussion and start using your stick and running your mouth at a guy whose a known tough guy I would say Franzen is the idiot. Franzen doesnt have to drop his gloves but dont sit there in a 6-1 game, start pissing off one of the leagues legit tough guys and expect everything to be rainbows and cupcakes. And to top it all off he wants to stir up the pot but when it comes to it he does his fighting by calling him names in the media.

Act like a winner in a 6-1 game, dont call guys names in the media because he wanted to finish a fight that you already started. Saying he put his cape on and flew around out there and all that is over the top. You will never have to drop your gloves or have guys wanting to fight you if you dont provoke them. If youre going to provoke fighters in a 6-1 game, I think even Franzen can figure out what was going to happen.

Why didnt he just say to the media... "We were blowing them out and he got frustrated, it happens in hockey". Instead he takes a shot at the guy he provoked into fighting calling him a jerk and putting a cape on. Not every player in the league is too scared to back up their actions like Franzen, especially coming off your injury just stay out of all that crap during the game and after the game dont start calling names

Neil has no excuses to go after Franzen's head after he came back from a concussion, he's a joke just like Gary Roberts was in the finals of '08. Neil was being gutless, he can handle things in a much better manner than what he did. You don't gain respect doing what he tried to do.

ArGarBarGar

Sep 8, 2008

You realize you are defending the actions of a guy who was doing stupid **** all night, and acting like those comments in the media were so wrong and disrespectful that somehow Neil is the good guy in all of this.

I don't understand how you can defend Neil from watching that game.

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011

Jurco - Sheahan - Tatar

Just wish we could get rid of Weiss...

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
I believe I read somewhere Franzen loves playing with the kids like Nyquist. They're honestly perfect compliments to each other. Nyquist can be the playmaker and Franzen has the best finish on the team when he's on. They also can both play the opposite role as we've seen with Nyquist's goal scoring and touch for the net.

Is Nyquist a playmaking winger?

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Neil has no excuses to go after Franzen's head after he came back from a concussion, he's a joke just like Gary Roberts was in the finals of '08. Neil was being gutless, he can handle things in a much better manner than what he did. You don't gain respect doing what he tried to do.

Maybe if youre just coming back from a concussion and youre in a 6-1 game you just shouldnt provoke guys who will back up their actions. What the hell should Neil have done? Stick Franzen a few times back, Franzen was face washing him in a scrum and giving his stick to guys in a 6-1 game when hes missed significant time with a head injury. Neil probably doesnt even know Franzen has been out, but regardless it doesnt matter.. If youre going to act tough like Franzen was, then expect someone to go after you in a blowout like that.

You realize you are defending the actions of a guy who was doing stupid **** all night, and acting like those comments in the media were so wrong and disrespectful that somehow Neil is the good guy in all of this.

I don't understand how you can defend Neil from watching that game.

Yeah I am. And Neil didnt do stupid **** all night. At one point he went after Glendening who just got done popping a sens player infront of the net, and Glendening got a penalty out of it.

How wings fans have changed. If some 6'3 player was running around slashing and hacking at some of the wings better players, then to top it all off facewashing guys in scrums... I'm sure Mccarty wouldnt have went after that guy, same with Probert or Kocur. I mean if the wings are down 6-1 at the Joe and some 6'3 player started whacking guys and facewashing Mccarty, he wouldve just let it slide and definitely not went after the guy.

Franzen looked like just as big of an idiot. Neil was at least standing up to him, and even when Neil went after Glendening it was Glendening who went after someone first. Wings fans have gotten way to used to this soft brand of hockey. Franzen isnt some spotless clean player.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Maybe if youre just coming back from a concussion and youre in a 6-1 game you just shouldnt provoke guys who will back up their actions. What the hell should Neil have done? Stick Franzen a few times back, Franzen was face washing him in a scrum and giving his stick to guys in a 6-1 game when hes missed significant time with a head injury. Neil probably doesnt even know Franzen has been out, but regardless it doesnt matter.. If youre going to act tough like Franzen was, then expect someone to go after you in a blowout like that.

Yeah I am. And Neil didnt do stupid **** all night. At one point he went after Glendening who just got done popping a sens player infront of the net, and Glendening got a penalty out of it.

How wings fans have changed. If some 6'3 player was running around slashing and hacking at some of the wings better players, then to top it all off facewashing guys in scrums... I'm sure Mccarty wouldnt have went after that guy, same with Probert or Kocur. I mean if the wings are down 6-1 at the Joe and some 6'3 player started whacking guys and facewashing Mccarty, he wouldve just let it slide and definitely not went after the guy.

Franzen looked like just as big of an idiot. Neil was at least standing up to him, and even when Neil went after Glendening it was Glendening who went after someone first. Wings fans have gotten way to used to this soft brand of hockey. Franzen isnt some spotless clean player.

Why is Neil going out of his way to start **** anyway? Moral victories get you no where, he's just trying to justify his paycheck since he adds little to nothing to a hockey team anymore.

I think it's a little curious that we think Franzen was rubbing it in Neil's face. Neil was running around trying to act like his actions were going to make a difference, which it never does.

ArGarBarGar

Sep 8, 2008
This just in: a facewash at one point in the game allows the player who received it to start throwing punches at you in another point in the game.

I don't give Neil crap for playing tough in a blowout. I give him crap because he picked the dumbest times to try and be tough, and instigated an altercation with an opponent at a random time in the game and acted like a neanderthal. Franzen's comments weren't him fighting, they were him giving his honest (and correct) opinion about one of the league's dumbest players.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Wasn't There some history to this from previous games? I do not remember what exactly, but There was something. If I remember right.

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
Put me firmly in the camp of "Neil is a moron with no excuses".

It doesn't take a genius to figure out that Franzen was never ever ever going to drop his gloves. Apparently, Neil thought he'd come out ahead somehow by dropping his. I'm not sure what he was expecting would happen after that.

And for those of you thinking Franzen bears some responsibility here: have you ever heard of trash talking? Apparently it's very common among the players during sporting events. Do you know why players trash talk? To get morons like Neil off his game.

Goalie guy

Jul 8, 2011
Taylor MI

I'm not going to quote all of your stuff. But let me get this right. It is our players fault that he had a good game? He should not play hard through the whole game because we are up?

I'm not going to quote all of your stuff. But let me get this right. It is our players fault that he had a good game? He should not play hard through the whole game because we are up?

So what you really want is a floater with no heart, who will just stop playing when his team has a lead? Good thing you don't play hockey! stick to hand ball or ping pong bud!

Oh and good game by mule all the way around need to see that compete level out of him all the time!!!

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Why is Neil going out of his way to start **** anyway? Moral victories get you no where, he's just trying to justify his paycheck since he adds little to nothing to a hockey team anymore.

I think it's a little curious that we think Franzen was rubbing it in Neil's face. Neil was running around trying to act like his actions were going to make a difference, which it never does.

Heres the hilarious part. You actually think Neil started all that. Why is it that Neil had one guy in his target at the end of the game? I didnt see Neil trying to fight Jurco, you honestly think this was some random thing? If Franzen would have just skated away from all the BS nothing wouldve happened. Instead he goes out and chops Ottawas number 2 dman after he just got done facewashing Neil in a scrum

This just in: a facewash at one point in the game allows the player who received it to start throwing punches at you in another point in the game.

I don't give Neil crap for playing tough in a blowout. I give him crap because he picked the dumbest times to try and be tough, and instigated an altercation with an opponent at a random time in the game and acted like a neanderthal. Franzen's comments weren't him fighting, they were him giving his honest (and correct) opinion about one of the league's dumbest players.

This just in: facewashing a known heavyweight in the third period of a blowout may have that guy wanting to fight you, especially when you start laughing in his face and not backing off when the refs are in

This just in: Especially after its right when you got done two handing the teams number 2 dman and had him wanting to fight you.

This just in: If you dont want to fight, dont use your stick and facewash, especially to known fighters since fighting is a part of hockey

This just in: its extra stupid if youre coming off a concussion

This just in: wings fans have gotten really soft over the years, Mccarty would have done the same thing but now we defend the guy who starts **** and cant back it up.

This just in: I dont blame Franzen for not fighting, but dont be stupid enough to give guys a reason to want to fight you in a game that was over in the first. And especially dont act all brave and call names after the game is done with

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Heres the hilarious part. You actually think Neil started all that. Why is it that Neil had one guy in his target at the end of the game? I didnt see Neil trying to fight Jurco, you honestly think this was some random thing? If Franzen would have just skated away from all the BS nothing wouldve happened. Instead he goes out and chops Ottawas number 2 dman after he just got done facewashing Neil in a scrum

I think people tend to go after the guy who scored 5 on them last time, and got another hattrick again in their own arena.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad