Post-Game Talk: I ****ing benched Franzen in my fantasy league

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
This just in: facewashing a known heavyweight in the third period of a blowout may have that guy wanting to fight you, especially when you start laughing in his face and not backing off when the refs are in
And when he shows no signs of wanting to fight you, you get over it and move on, not start attacking the guy for no reason. But as we have seen, Neil seems to act on pure aggression rather than actually using his head out there, which is the entire point. He is a hothead and an idiot.

By the way, your usage of "This just in" is terribly poor.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
Great game last night from the men. I enjoyed it immensely. Wish toronto didn't get a loser point but whatever. Datsyuk was shut down for some r and r. Kids played excellant. Franzen went beast mode (can't wait for nick's retirement game to see what he brings :) ).

Neil can be a stooge but everything ended fine I'm over it. Wish there was a option in the poll that everyone gets a star because it was a solid team effort threw and threw.

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
Heres the hilarious part. You actually think Neil started all that. Why is it that Neil had one guy in his target at the end of the game? I didnt see Neil trying to fight Jurco, you honestly think this was some random thing? If Franzen would have just skated away from all the BS nothing wouldve happened. Instead he goes out and chops Ottawas number 2 dman after he just got done facewashing Neil in a scrum

This just in: facewashing a known heavyweight in the third period of a blowout may have that guy wanting to fight you, especially when you start laughing in his face and not backing off when the refs are in

This just in: Especially after its right when you got done two handing the teams number 2 dman and had him wanting to fight you.

This just in: If you dont want to fight, dont use your stick and facewash, especially to known fighters since fighting is a part of hockey

This just in: its extra stupid if youre coming off a concussion

This just in: wings fans have gotten really soft over the years, Mccarty would have done the same thing but now we defend the guy who starts **** and cant back it up.

This just in: I dont blame Franzen for not fighting, but dont be stupid enough to give guys a reason to want to fight you in a game that was over in the first. And especially dont act all brave and call names after the game is done with

This just in: Fighting is technically not a part of hockey...that's why you get a penalty for it.

This just in: Franzen tried to just skate away from all that BS, Neil being the idiot that he is, dropped his gloves, grabbed him and slammed him into the glass and continued to try to get Franzen to drop his gloves. It also resulted in a 4 minute PP, which probably would have been a 5 if it weren't already 6-1 at the time.

This just in: Neil wanting at Franzen had more to do with his manhandling of his team than his tap on Methot's leg.

This just in: Neil doesn't require a reason to want to fight, its the only reason he even has a job in the NHL. If it wasn't Franzen he'd have been going after someone else to justify his paycheck.

This just in: the hockey you're pining over is a bygone era of the game, it will never be like that again.

I hope the Wings continue to antagonize every opponent's fighters into taking stupid penalties while skating away and making fun of their stupidity in post game media scrums night after night.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
This just in: Fighting is technically not a part of hockey...that's why you get a penalty for it.

This just in: Franzen tried to just skate away from all that BS, Neil being the idiot that he is, dropped his gloves, grabbed him and slammed him into the glass and continued to try to get Franzen to drop his gloves. It also resulted in a 4 minute PP, which probably would have been a 5 if it weren't already 6-1 at the time.

This just in: Neil wanting at Franzen had more to do with his manhandling of his team than his tap on Methot's leg.

This just in: Neil doesn't require a reason to want to fight, its the only reason he even has a job in the NHL. If it wasn't Franzen he'd have been going after someone else to justify his paycheck.

This just in: the hockey you're pining over is a bygone era of the game, it will never be like that again.

I hope the Wings continue to antagonize every opponent's fighters into taking stupid penalties while skating away and making fun of their stupidity in post game media scrums night after night.

Franzen didnt try to skate away from anything. He was right in the middle of it until all of a sudden someone was looking for a fight. Youre looking at that dropped the gloves part as an isolated incident, it wasnt. The gloves coming off is what made Franzen skate away, had there been a ref in there and the gloves on he would have been chirping and face washing some more.

If Neil wanted at Franzen for lighting his team up (which is BS) why did he only go after him once Franzen started running around a bit? Jurco, Tatar, Nyquist all had multiple point games last night, why is it just Franzen that gets the target? Its cause those other guys kept their mouths shut. As for Neil only having a job for fighting, thats pretty ridiculous as well. He can fight sure, but he also has a track record of producing more offense than most of the wings current bottom 6 and wears and A on his jersey. I would like to see any evidence of Neil going after a non fighter like Franzen, unless provoked. Even tough guys dont just magically all of a sudden grab a non fighter and try to fight because they scored a bunch of goals. We keep saying the era of hockey I'm pining for (im not at all) is gone but thats not true. It literally just happened last night, a guy was running around a bit and Neil tried to fight him. Just because the wings dont drop the gloves doesnt mean the rest of the NHL has changed

And as for the wings antagonizing other teams into taking penalties, yes I'm all for it. But it has to be smart. Getting Neil kicked out in the third period of a 6-1 game didnt help the wings win, all it did was risk a guy with concussion issues. And to top it all off, dont act tough, not drop the gloves than take verbal shots at the guy after the game. It was completely useless and stupid for Franzen to get Neil riled up and have him wanting to run guys especially when he knows Neil has a history of it

heyfolks

Apr 30, 2007
History? You mean like Cowen kindly scrambling Datsyuks brains?

Cowen is one pathetic d'man who has come up in the big guy's must prove that can't play, little guys that they can system. He is on on his way to proving he can't.

rx7dryver

Apr 11, 2009
Lol at everyone posting about how dangerous the team will be when they make the playoffs. If they lost 6-1 last night everyone would be wanting to trade everyone, fire Holland and Babcock.

NyquistIsMyGod*

Lol at everyone posting about how dangerous the team will be when they make the playoffs. If they lost 6-1 last night everyone would be wanting to trade everyone, fire Holland and Babcock.

Sorry about that. Looking dominant for two straight games, finally healthy, and everyone producing gets some of us excited.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
You realize you are defending the actions of a guy who was doing stupid **** all night, and acting like those comments in the media were so wrong and disrespectful that somehow Neil is the good guy in all of this.

I don't understand how you can defend Neil from watching that game.

I don't think it's this cut-and-dry.

I feel what newfy is saying, Franzen was asking for it. I think in the 2nd period Franzen facewashed Neil along the boards. Right then I was like, oh boy you don't want to do that to Neil!

Was it Methot who chased down Franzen like a madman in the 3rd? Crap Franzen did something dirty to stir up a response like that, it doesn't come out of nowhere.

Neil did hold back by NOT pummeling Franzens head, that skirmish could have been much worse. Neil was so angry he looked like about to blow a gasket!

Franzen was very pissed off to make those comments, his voice was slightly shaky. I laughed out loud hard when I heard him say Neil wants to be a hero, after the game he puts on his cape! Hilarious!

I agree Neil has a screw loose but Franzen should know better than to stir the pot in a situation like that. He will not fight so don't get chirping with a known middle/heavy weight. Franzen is better than that.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
For the record, Neil came out and said Franzen gave him a stick to the groin and that in a 6-1 game thats uncalled for. Thats why he blew up.

So no it wasnt because Franzen got a hatrick or because Neil is just a goon. Franzen went for his nads after all the facewashing and stuff. Franzen was lucky he didnt get it worse

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
For the record, Neil came out and said Franzen gave him a stick to the groin and that in a 6-1 game thats uncalled for. Thats why he blew up.

So no it wasnt because Franzen got a hatrick or because Neil is just a goon. Franzen went for his nads after all the facewashing and stuff. Franzen was lucky he didnt get it worse

Oh please. Neil was running around all game playing over the line. As if the Sens were saints all game long until known agitator Franzen comes along like Paul Bunyan on someone's crotch?

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto

:laugh:

The more Neil continues to rant and whine the harder it is for him to claim Franzen's comments didn't sting him.

I hope Franzen trolls him into another game misconduct when they meet again next season.

I'd much rather a guy like Franzen who scores goals, and irritates the opposition into losing their minds than a guy who attempts to play policeman out there and spends as much time in the box as he does on the ice.

Franzen played and responded perfectly last night.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
And as for the wings antagonizing other teams into taking penalties, yes I'm all for it. But it has to be smart. Getting Neil kicked out in the third period of a 6-1 game didnt help the wings win, all it did was risk a guy with concussion issues. And to top it all off, dont act tough, not drop the gloves than take verbal shots at the guy after the game. It was completely useless and stupid for Franzen to get Neil riled up and have him wanting to run guys especially when he knows Neil has a history of it

I have no problem pointing out Franzen wasn't a completely innocent player last night, he and Methot were hacking and whacking each other from the word go. But even you have pointed out Neil has a history of this, he played like this in three of the four games this year and targeting a guy with a concussion with a punch was ********. Maybe what Franzen was doing was complete ******** to you, but it doesn't qualify what Neil then saw fit to do.

For the record I like that the Wings start the stick work right away, Ottawa was running around attempting high hits from the word go last night and quite frankly they are a big dirty team. Franzen isn't going to fight but why should he allow Methot to whack him without returning it? Just because you fight doesn't mean you can do the first instance to somebody else and expect them to swallow that ****. They spent the entire year doing this crap to the Wings and I don't think even Mike McKee would talk them out of it. What is he supposed to get slashed, get face washed and do nothing?

I get that a lot of people want us to be tougher, heck I think this is why people love Tootoo (mediocre fighter) and Callahan (below average middleweight) so much and they wouldn't fundamentally change the idea of targeting a guy that scores goals. Only McKee might in terms of our boys maybe Nedomlel.

Lost in all this is our boy MacLean (Mr. Mustache or Walrus) was upset about something because every time he touched the ice Neil came out, so Ottawa's coach was chasing this too. Problem is he wasn't going to go and they know that and what Neil chose to do anyway was pretty bush league. Now at least he grabbed him and squared him up to take the punch head on instead of a violent not looking blow. But what Neil did was out of bounds, even if Franzen is by no means an angel, it was crappy thing to do and it shows a complete lack of respect to a peer. So guess what in the post-game and while he was doing it Franzen showed the same respect level by laughing at him and making jokes about his behavior, Neil deserved that.

If you think Franzen deserved the punch Newfy, then surely Neil deserves to be called a joke for once again flying off the handle in a blowout. Targeting what is now the Wings runaway second best offensive cog for the rest of the season when you're about to trail them by 5 points in the standing and need to catch them is what Neil was up to, stick in the groin whatever, they had bad intentions from puck drop, they were going high all over the place and generally running around last night, they wanted to take a chunk out of what was remaining and that only became more pronounced once they got their *** handed to them in terms of hockey.

Last edited:

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Bush league move to target a guys head after a known concussion

Neil's comments make him sound a little butt hurt

Some of you guys are getting ridiculous. Franzen is in the game now, I doubt random guys from other teams really know about his concussion issue. And on top of that, Franzen got him in the nuts with his stick.

Yeah Neil has a history of doing this but hes a guy who stands up for himself. Itsd hilarious to see some people act like Franzen was just defending himself from Neil, I would actually say its the other way around. Franzen started **** he didnt want to finish and then continued to call names in the media after. Neil is known to be a meathead, Franzen said he knew after the game. So what does Franzen do, starts face washing him, keeps chirping him and sticks him in the nuts. I bet everyone was fine with that when Sharp did it to Lidstrom too

Neil literally did not do one thing unprovoked last night and some of you guys are such fan boys that you just think hes a bully. There was literally one guy targeted last night and it was Franzen because he went looking for it and couldnt handle what he got, plain and simple.

Franzen shouldnt even be throwing a body check after that first period as far as I'm concerned with his head issues and it being a blow out. Instead he goes looking for it, finds it and everyone here claims hes the victim. Some of you have been reading Malik too much

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
^^I didn't know or care who Chris Neil was before this year. And I still don't care. Had someone asked me who Chris Neil played for I probably would have guessed a NBA team because it sounds like a basketball name. I guess that's how good of a hockey player he is :laugh:

I've never seen a "tough guy" do what Neil did last night regardless if Franzen deserved it or not. I mean, yea, if you hit someone in the jewels you should probably expect retaliation in some form. But throwing a guys helmet off and punching his head? Bush league. Ah, but Franzen was running his mouth and laughing at Neil. That's never happened in the history of professional sports.

It's probably best not to make a huge deal out of something that will be forgotten in a week. We all know Franzen is soft and won't fight. Really don't care as long as he keeps putting the puck in the net. This is similar, well maybe not, to a "Kronwall," not that Kronner hits anymore. Just because he laid some poor sap out that had his head down doesn't mean he's taken liberties and has to fight.

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
Some of you guys are getting ridiculous. Franzen is in the game now, I doubt random guys from other teams really know about his concussion issue. And on top of that, Franzen got him in the nuts with his stick.

Yeah Neil has a history of doing this but hes a guy who stands up for himself. Itsd hilarious to see some people act like Franzen was just defending himself from Neil, I would actually say its the other way around. Franzen started **** he didnt want to finish and then continued to call names in the media after. Neil is known to be a meathead, Franzen said he knew after the game. So what does Franzen do, starts face washing him, keeps chirping him and sticks him in the nuts. I bet everyone was fine with that when Sharp did it to Lidstrom too

Neil literally did not do one thing unprovoked last night and some of you guys are such fan boys that you just think hes a bully. There was literally one guy targeted last night and it was Franzen because he went looking for it and couldnt handle what he got, plain and simple.

Franzen shouldnt even be throwing a body check after that first period as far as I'm concerned with his head issues and it being a blow out. Instead he goes looking for it, finds it and everyone here claims hes the victim. Some of you have been reading Malik too much

Allegedly hit him in the nuts. Watching the game again I never saw it. So unless Franzen jumped on the Sens bench and hit him in the privates, then I don't think it happened.

Neil is being Neil. A no talent hockey player who will stick up for his teammates and punch people in the face. He offers nothing more and nothing less. Some people like how he plays, others don't care for it. I for one, do not care for his style.

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto

What does Neil's willingness to fight or "Stand up for himself" as you put it, have to do with him being a colossal meathead? Does a willingness to fight somehow make it ok for him to run around like he's some sort of policeman out there?

Franzen played unquestionably his best game of the season last night, he was engaged physically, he was a scoring machine and he completely unhinged multiple players on their team while only taking a minor penalty (and a misconduct that was probably more to prevent the game getting out of hand)

Franzen should facewash, trash talk, and generally irritate Neil in any way imaginable that doesn't result in a penalty and then should laugh his ass off as he skates to the bench with Neil chasing him seeking a fight.

Its funny to me that you're calling us fanboys when you're so clearly in love with fighting that you'll always side with the guys willing to drop the gloves over someone who won't.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
What does Neil's willingness to fight or "Stand up for himself" as you put it, have to do with him being a colossal meathead? Does a willingness to fight somehow make it ok for him to run around like he's some sort of policeman out there?

Franzen should facewash, trash talk, and generally irritate Neil in any way imaginable that doesn't result in a penalty and then should laugh his ass off as he skates to the bench with Neil chasing him seeking a fight.

Its funny to me that you're calling us fanboys when you're so clearly in love with fighting that you'll always side with the guys willing to drop the gloves over someone who won't.

If you really, truly think Franzen should face wash, trash talk and use his stick in 6-1 games when hes just back from a concussion then by all means go for it but dont wonder why hes out with another concussion when it happens. I wouldnt care if Franzen did it in a 2-1 game but he did it at such a meaningless time that its plain stupid

As for Neil running around being a policeman. All of you are making it sound like Franzens concussion is a go ahead to not get touched out there even when he was playing stupid. If you want him playing like that hes going to get face washed and hacked and people are going to try to fight him plain and simple. He shouldnt talk trash in the media about it after and you all shouldnt complain about Neil going after him when hes just back from concussion.

Franzen was looking to stir it up and he did. I dont know why people are crying about Neil sticking up for himself and his team and acting like Franzen is a victim.

Everyone on here loved when Barret Jackman used to run around using his stick for years right??

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad