Post-Game Talk: I cannot confirm if the Wings won or lost tonight

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Any word on Mule? If he can't go and Cleary plays over Weiss. I'll start to pull out my beautiful long locks of hair.

Seems like he will wait and see how he feels tomorrow.

He hasn't been ruled out yet, but it is TBD.

Weiss was the one without a grey jersey when Abby was out in practice, not Cleary, so that is a good thing. I think we're ok.

hyduK

Feb 21, 2009
Got a full beer poured on me and a nice hook in the face...but we won! Good game. Hopes franzen is good.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
Some pretty massive over-reaction when they got beat by Boston as well. Your take on the Lions and Wings starts to the season remind me of this Vladdy.

muppets.jpg

I think the Wings have been the best team on ice for three out of four games, that is not a bad ratio in this league.

Hey now, I'm just hedging my bets with the Lions. If they can beat a couple real teams and Stafford starts playing well. My prognosis will change.

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
Kindl's playing so far this season reminds me of he played back in 2012-13. I hope that continues. Detroit is overdue for some good luck and guys playing up to their potential.

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
I honestly don't see why everyone is thinking Smith is doing awesome this year. I see the same things I saw last year. Sure, he's improved a little. But he's still turning the puck over, making bad decisions in his own zone, pinching at bad times, out of position...

But I guess he skates into the zone once and shoots into the first defender and he's suddenly our best defender?

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
I honestly don't see why everyone is thinking Smith is doing awesome this year. I see the same things I saw last. Sure, he's improved a little. But he's still turning the puck over, making bad decisions in his own zone, pinching at bad times, out of position...

But I guess he skates into the zone once and shoots into the first defender and he's suddenly our best defender?

I don't think anyone is saying he's our best defender at all. Anyone rational that is. But he looks a hell lot better and is trending up. Get him on the PP and oh boy.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I honestly don't see why everyone is thinking Smith is doing awesome this year. I see the same things I saw last. Sure, he's improved a little. But he's still turning the puck over, making bad decisions in his own zone, pinching at bad times, out of position...

Likewise I don't know how you can watch Smith and see no improvement both after the New Years and to start this year...

Smith was our best D-man tonight for me.

D-man turn over the puck, his pinching has become much better, he has played well for basically the last 40 games. Smith is turning a corner and his ceiling is still very intriguing, especially if he ever hits the PP.

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
Likewise I don't know how you can watch Smith and see no improvement both after the New Years and to start this year...

Smith was our best D-man tonight for me.

D-man turn over the puck, his pinching has become much better, he has played well for basically the last 40 games. Smith is turning a corner and his ceiling is still very intriguing, especially if he ever hits the PP.

What makes you say Smith was our best defenseman tonight? Honestly.

The only thing remarkable that I saw from him was booting the puck out to other team from his own goal line, which turned into a scoring chance. Other than that... oh wait, he had a shot from the slot.

What am I missing?

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington

The only thing remarkable that I saw from him was booting the puck out to other team from his own goal line, which turned into a scoring chance. Other than that... oh wait, he had a shot from the slot.

What am I missing?

No offense here, and I'm sorry if I'm mistaking you for someone else. But were you not a virulent defender of Cleary last year?

Smith was really good tonight. And has been thus far. No one is crowning him as the best d-man on the team. But we are seeing his potential come to fruition. And he's gonna get better. Especially whenever Babs puts him on the PP over Nesty.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I honestly don't see why everyone is thinking Smith is doing awesome this year. I see the same things I saw last year. Sure, he's improved a little. But he's still turning the puck over, making bad decisions in his own zone, pinching at bad times, out of position...

When did he turn the puck over and make bad decisions tonight? Didn't see it. And I haven't seen it much this year so far.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
So we play better when I don't watch...

Based on the comments, it sounded like we were competent and the Leafs were awful, but I will take two points. Pretty happy with our play overall to start the season, but anxious for Datsyuk to be in the lineup.

This perfectly sums it up. I don't think the 3-0 and 4-1 results were indicative of how well we played. The third goal was weak and after that the Leafs gave up.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
When did he turn the puck over and make bad decisions tonight? Didn't see it. And I haven't seen it much this year so far.

He almost got caught on a perfect stretch pass, fortunately to make it happen the pass was significantly over cooked.

He was aggressive all night, joined the rush efficiently, helped us keep in zone pressure and skated and passed the puck out of his zone all night incredibly well. Battled hard in front of the net, nothing upsetting about his game. This is exactly the Smith many of us have believed in, including our best chance on the PP with him releasing Helm in point blank. Great game.

I can see those taking Quincey over him, I thought Smith offered things for the full 200 feet and by the way for much of the game he was a part of taking away one of the more dynamic players in the NHL in Kessel, his speed helped tremendously in terms of defending him and keeping appropriate gap control all game on him.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site

What am I missing?

From the way he played on the ice and in all other games this season? Everything is better. His outlet passes are better, his positioning is better, his stick checks are infinitely better, he's fitting right in on the PK...I honestly don't know what you aren't seeing or why you think Smith isn't better. He's been downright great. Night and day from where he was just last year.

He's also #2 in overall TOI so far and is leading the team in ESTOI by almost two minutes.

I just really can't fathom why you're underwhelmed with Smith unless you've got some vendetta against him.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
No offense here, and I'm sorry if I'm mistaking you for someone else. But were you not a virulent defender of Cleary last year?

Smith was really good tonight. And has been thus far. No one is crowning him as the best d-man on the team. But we are seeing his potential come to fruition. And he's gonna get better. Especially whenever Babs puts him on the PP over Nesty.

Ah, yes! I had forgotten that SoupGuru has it out for Smith and Tatar and has a thing for Glendening and Cleary. It can be confusing with SoupNazi, SoupGuru, and GuruMeditation. Y'all need to diversify! :laugh:

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
By the way Gator is a point per game player right now....

I know people hate him up the lineup, but if he is going to hit the score sheet with that kind of frequency that is really interesting. I don't expect him to keep up pace at all, but if he becomes a 40+ point guy with his size and hitting he is an interesting guy finally just when about everyone gave up on him.

Points in three out of four games for Abdelkader. Also the third goal came in part because of a beautiful clearing out net drive opening up Nyquist, where he gets no point. Abdelkader is playing really good hockey right now.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Yeah he's playing well, no denying. I think it's clear that Nyquist is better served in his place though and that Franzen should have the other spot. As a third liner, Abby could really crash and bang and get some good offense going. Maybe if Helm-Dats-Tats stays a line and FroZeN stays a line, that would leave Jurco-Sheahan-Abby? That'd look good in my book.

PelagicJoe

Mar 20, 2012
St. Louis, MO
By the way Gator is a point per game player right now....

I know people hate him up the lineup, but if he is going to hit the score sheet with that kind of frequency that is really interesting. I don't expect him to keep up pace at all, but if he becomes a 40+ point guy with his size and hitting he is an interesting guy finally just when about everyone gave up on him.

Points in three out of four games for Abdelkader. Also the third goal came in part because of a beautiful clearing out net drive opening up Nyquist, where he gets no point. Abdelkader is playing really good hockey right now.

I don't hate him in the lineup at all. I don't necessarily think he belongs on the 1st line if other options are available. He's perfect for a 3rd or 4th line, much like Maltby.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Just saying the biggest complaint for me has been his production, it was an unavoidable part of the argument against it that had even me a guy that didn't outright hating it relent that he had been given his chance and we needed more. I don't hate the way he plays, I even think in a series you can see him up the lineup pay off, like when he knocked lydman out for the series and really unfortunately his career. But he is a tough guy to play against, I like him on the third line, but I really like that he is showing up on the stat sheet and now in 75% of the games.

He is a very useful guy for this team if the numbers start to follow. He does a lot of right things, it is nice to see him off to a nice start his confidence has to be up.

Yemack

Oct 30, 2007
From the way he played on the ice and in all other games this season? Everything is better. His outlet passes are better, his positioning is better, his stick checks are infinitely better, he's fitting right in on the PK...I honestly don't know what you aren't seeing or why you think Smith isn't better. He's been downright great. Night and day from where he was just last year.

He's also #2 in overall TOI so far and is leading the team in ESTOI by almost two minutes.

I just really can't fathom why you're underwhelmed with Smith unless you've got some vendetta against him.

Just because you dont think Smith was bad means others got some vendetta against Smith.

Smith has been better especially in neutral zone which was one of my biggest complain with him and it's good that he's better because we should be looking to trade him if his ceiling was only that high.

My problem with Smith is this season is that he's made some lousy passes in our zone at times leading to very unneccesary scoring chances for the other team. I'm not talking about those glaring mistakes he made that fortunately didnt end up in our net but simple execution that he had to get the puck out to forwards and such. He just needs to execute smarter at times and use his brain more.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Just because you dont think Smith was bad means others got some vendetta against Smith.

Smith has been better especially in neutral zone which was one of my biggest complain with him and it's good that he's better because we should be looking to trade him if his ceiling was only that high.

My problem with Smith is this season is that he's made some lousy passes in our zone at times leading to very unneccesary scoring chances for the other team. I'm not talking about those glaring mistakes he made that fortunately didnt end up in our net but simple execution that he had to get the puck out to forwards and such. He just needs to execute smarter at times and use his brain more.

I have not seen a whole lot of this, for me it is confirmation bias. Smith isn't turning the puck over at an alarming amount, turnovers happen to DeKeyser and Kronwall, in DeKeyser's case with almost absolutely no criticism.

Smith is providing a lot of push up the ice to help our exits. I have seen him switch the play and go up the middle much better. The growth is there and as to the neutral zone play, it has been posted several times the numbers don't match this, he was our most effective player last season at navigating the neutral zone and getting controlled entries and successful dump ins, that is honestly one of his strengths, though he can get wrong sided defensively at times during his aggressive pushes up the ice in terms of the neutral zone.

Since Smith came off his shoulder injury last year he has been a different guy. For the first couple weeks back he had the I am going to play my game with aggression, an at least I go out on my shield mentality. Around the New Years it started to pay off, Quincey and him finally got separated and he really started to take off. That has carried over, he is an important player for us and I really like his development since the calendar hit 2014 he has been a positive on most nights. It is a good thing for us, his minutes continue to rise and I think it slots guys into appropriate roles. Him in the Top 4 makes us a better team, if we could get him on the PP I would be very pleased, we still don't use him where he is most ideally suited.

But one has to say the you will learn defense thing looks like it is starting to pay off, though I think it is time to unleash him more offensively. We have waited long enough on that portion of his game, though for me this is more coaching deployment. We will see, this is a lot like the guy advertised, would like some more bite back in his game too, think some of that went missing after he knocked out Ben Smith. Still he is really starting to come into his own and it makes us a more dangerous team.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010

What am I missing?

Youre missing quite a bit actually as others have said. He gets the puck up the ice so quick now, weve only really seen that from Kronwall since Lidstrom and Raffi retired. I can see if you said Hes been solid but you guys are overhyping him but by you saying the only thing hes done is boot the puck out front, really makes me think youre only seeing what you want to see. You must have been a guy that hated him last year.

The last 40 games or so Smith has been arguably the second best dman on the team and Kronwall not that far ahead. With the way hes playing the points are gonna start coming. Hes jumping into the play, making some nice denfensive plays (outmuscling Chara last game) and playing physical.

Honestly, Smith has been the best dman this year on this team because Kronwall and E were rough against Boston last game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad