Post-Game Talk: I cannot confirm if the Wings won or lost tonight

PelagicJoe

Mar 20, 2012
St. Louis, MO
As far as Smith is concerned...
He's much better than Kindl, but he hasn't really lived up to expectation either IMO. He's a good #4 guy, but I don't think he'll ever be as good as Kronwall.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
He's much better than Kindl, but he hasn't really lived up to expectation either IMO. He's a good #4 guy, but I don't think he'll ever be as good as Kronwall.

Way too early to tell.

The reason he hasn't "lived up to expectations" is because he's an offensive defenseman who has been kept off the PP. He'll never put up pts like Kronner does unless he gets some PP time. Which may never happen.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

Kronwall is right at or in the top 15 D-man in the league so not a huge slight.

By the way Kronwall who has finished Top 10 in D-man points the last two years wouldn't come near touching that without his PP time. Smith isn't going to be what he was projected to be if we don't give him PP time, especially when he has significantly more offensive feel than DeKeyser.

I am encouraged by Smith the PK guy, I never thought he would be remotely as good as he has been to start the year there. He still has a tremendous ceiling, seems to have gotten some of his acceleration back too, which dipped for a little bit. We will see, much of what Smith can become is still out in front of him and now he appears quite solid while he continues these progressions which is huge for this team.

Yemack

Oct 30, 2007
I have not seen a whole lot of this, for me it is confirmation bias. Smith isn't turning the puck over at an alarming amount, turnovers happen to DeKeyser and Kronwall, in DeKeyser's case with almost absolutely no criticism.

Smith is providing a lot of push up the ice to help our exits. I have seen him switch the play and go up the middle much better. The growth is there and as to the neutral zone play, it has been posted several times the numbers don't match this, he was our most effective player last season at navigating the neutral zone and getting controlled entries and successful dump ins, that is honestly one of his strengths, though he can get wrong sided defensively at times during his aggressive pushes up the ice in terms of the neutral zone.

Since Smith came off his shoulder injury last year he has been a different guy. For the first couple weeks back he had the I am going to play my game with aggression, an at least I go out on my shield mentality. Around the New Years it started to pay off, Quincey and him finally got separated and he really started to take off. That has carried over, he is an important player for us and I really like his development since the calendar hit 2014 he has been a positive on most nights. It is a good thing for us, his minutes continue to rise and I think it slots guys into appropriate roles. Him in the Top 4 makes us a better team, if we could get him on the PP I would be very pleased, we still don't use him where he is most ideally suited.

But one has to say the you will learn defense thing looks like it is starting to pay off, though I think it is time to unleash him more offensively. We have waited long enough on that portion of his game, though for me this is more coaching deployment. We will see, this is a lot like the guy advertised, would like some more bite back in his game too, think some of that went missing after he knocked out Ben Smith. Still he is really starting to come into his own and it makes us a more dangerous team.

I dont know why you and others think anyone criticizing Smith is biased when I can say exactly same.

Although it's nice to hear he played well second half of last season, I am not really interested in how he played last season. I'm really interested in how hes playing this season expecially in our zone. If you haven't seen it, it's not because I'm nitpicky it's simply because you haven't catched it. I can say that with 100% confidence. But I wouldnt call you baised smith fan although if there ever was one, it would be you. :laugh:

btw I'm not saying he's a trash or a unreliable weak link. He's definitely improved and has become an valuble asset to this team. He's made this team alot more flexible in someways and dangerous as well.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I dont know why you and others think anyone criticizing Smith is biased when I can say exactly same.

Although it's nice to hear he played well second half of last season, I am not really interested in how he played last season. I'm really interested in how hes playing this season expecially in our zone. If you haven't seen it, it's not because I'm nitpicky it's simply because you haven't catched it. I can say that with 100% confidence. But I wouldnt call you baised smith fan although if there ever was one, it would be you. :laugh:

btw I'm not saying he's a trash or a unreliable weak link. He's definitely improved and has become an valuble asset to this team. He's made this team alot more flexible in someways and dangerous as well.

We are here to discuss things, I have no problem with differing view points, so not trying to be heavy handed in my defense. I just don't see this mountain of turnovers people harp on. He has cleaned up that area of his game a great deal, really since he finally was mercifully separated from in your skates passing Quincey he has not had this issue in a huge way.

I have seen a lot of fast tape to tape outlets, holding the puck at the right times, less uncontrolled chips and more understanding of space. In this year especially he has played well, but it is a continuation of how he finished last year. He is building on it and getting better and as you stated this is a huge win.

Also Kyle Quincey is a substantially better player away from him and is also off to a great start in terms of where I expected him to be and that is also after finishing last season strong. The point of going into last year is it takes some of the sample size out of this argument. We are far more dangerous as a team right now and I do think some of this is appropriately sorting out the D-pairings and the redistribution of some of the minutes.

I am a huge Brendan Smith fan, think I said before if they traded him my second favorite team in the league would be his new one. I really have made no bones about it since the day that I joined that Nyquist and Smith were my guys that I saw tremendous potential in and believed in a great deal. Sheahan, Jensen, Ouellet and Tvrdon (yeah that doesn't appear to be working) would be the other ones. We have the guys we are bigger fans of that is certainly a part of it.

I am happy to see the progression in Smith's game, I watch him closely because I am a big fan. I see a player really coming into his own, if we reward him with PP time I think the points will follow and we have a big answer moving forward in terms of the generation taking over the Wings.

I might want to see the good, but as Newfy gets at Smith has been playing a lot better for a while now. I think the confirmation bias comes in the idea that he is never going to have turnovers, he is going to have them all D-man do, at least he doesn't remind me of Brent Burns like he did when he first transitioned and I was worried but believed he would shake it off, I think he has and is going to continue getting better. Guy has a ton of talent.

Yemack

Oct 30, 2007
We are here to discuss things, I have no problem with differing view points, so not trying to be heavy handed in my defense. I just don't see this mountain of turnovers people harp on. He has cleaned up that area of his game a great deal, really since he finally was mercifully separated from in your skates passing Quincey he has not had this issue in a huge way.

I have seen a lot of fast tape to tape outlets, holding the puck at the right times, less uncontrolled chips and more understanding of space. In this year especially he has played well, but it is a continuation of how he finished last year. He is building on it and getting better and as you stated this is a huge win.

Also Kyle Quincey is a substantially better player away from him and is also off to a great start in terms of where I expected him to be and that is also after finishing last season strong. The point of going into last year is it takes some of the sample size out of this argument. We are far more dangerous as a team right now and I do think some of this is appropriately sorting out the D-pairings and the redistribution of some of the minutes.

I am a huge Brendan Smith fan, think I said before if they traded him my second favorite team in the league would be his new one. I really have made no bones about it since the day that I joined that Nyquist and Smith were my guys that I saw tremendous potential in and believed in a great deal. Sheahan, Jensen, Ouellet and Tvrdon (yeah that doesn't appear to be working) would be the other ones. We have the guys we are bigger fans of that is certainly a part of it.

I am happy to see the progression in Smith's game, I watch him closely because I am a big fan. I see a player really coming into his own, if we reward him with PP time I think the points will follow and we have a big answer moving forward in terms of the generation taking over the Wings.

I might want to see the good, but as Newfy gets at Smith has been playing a lot better for a while now. I think the confirmation bias comes in the idea that he is never going to have turnovers, he is going to have them all D-man do, at least he doesn't remind me of Brent Burns like he did when he first transitioned and I was worried but believed he would shake it off, I think he has and is going to continue getting better. Guy has a ton of talent.

there is no doubt he sure does.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
What a game. I don't know where to start. I know its really early, but I'm starting to get a feel that this year's team will be pretty damn good. Howard was amazing again. That's 4 good games to start the year. You can't ask for any more from your goalie than he has done in the 4 games. Playing this well early on can only help with his confidence, lets hope he keeps it going because in reality, in the goal scoring department the Wings are average.

I am still baffled at how Z knew Franzen was there for the 2-0 goal. I watched the replay several times in slow motion, and he does not look over his shoulder once. How does he know Franzen is there???

Oh, and Nyquist is just insane. 60 point player? I'm starting to think he couls potentially flirt with a point per game in this league. His puck skills/ patience is elite.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Also, I'm sure it has been mentioned, but Quincey was great tonight. This guy gets a lot of heat, so he deserves credit when credit is due. Great game KFQ.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
My Goodness this was a very enjoyable game for Wings fans!

To see this team romping, collapsing, pinching, poke-checking and battling, argh words can't describe how in the 2nd period the Red Wings choked the life out of the Maple Leafs, it was something to see. It seemed like every 50/50 battle we were winning I was shouting and cheering in amazement.

I have fallen back in love with the Wings. The work ethic, the puck support and fearlessness...gotta love how this team is popping off right now. I think it shows the DRW were ordered to have an excellent off-season to make up for their lack of skill and it shows, we are on FIRE!

BRING ON OTTAWA! Er I mean the Leafs tomorrow night

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
hockeyisforeveryone, I just want to let you know that you're my favorite poster and I genuinely love reading your post game thoughts after every game. I look forward to them after each win, so keep the W's coming boys.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
hockeyisforeveryone, I just want to let you know that you're my favorite poster and I genuinely love reading your post game thoughts after every game. I look forward to them after each win, so keep the W's coming boys.

That is kind, but I'm far from the being the MVP (most valuable poster) in this forum (that title goes to finn1(?) :laugh:There's usually no need to comment after a loss because it's already been said.

Respect to the DRW and their last game, compliments freely given, we can all sleep well this morning. No trades today! To see Kindl diving to break up plays, Quincey jamming in front of the net numerous times Smith and Ericsson lurking behind the play dangerously. Franzen had 2 goals and Zetter was like his old self. What has got into the Red Wings? :laugh: I don't even know, I like it and hope the victory party can continue on.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
I am still baffled at how Z knew Franzen was there for the 2-0 goal. I watched the replay several times in slow motion, and he does not look over his shoulder once. How does he know Franzen is there???

I *think* that he didn't "know" he was there, but that he was gambling on it.

He knew that he had no shot himself, but he also knew he had dragged two of the Leafs players along with him. He knows that his team SHOULD be following up and that if they were, they'd be right about in the slot area. So he throws it back to catch one based on what his team SHOULD be doing.

At least, that's what I concluded. Like you, I watched the replay and I never saw Z identify Franzen's position on the ice. I think it was more good chemistry and positioning

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
Found it funny that sportsnet said that the Leafs pk was a bright spot. They're too focused on the Babcock contract status to actually notice that the Wings pp is a black hole.

AD1066

Sep 30, 2011
This was no doubt his best game of the season, but Quincey has been solid every night this season really.

Agreed, I don't mind him as much as most. He's been fine so far, and had a solid stretch of hockey for part of last season too. I don't really see him as part of the logjam as much as Kindl / Lashoff, provided he can keep up his play through the first few games.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Found it funny that sportsnet said that the Leafs pk was a bright spot. They're too focused on the Babcock contract status to actually notice that the Wings pp is a black hole.
You can never blame only a bad PP. I actually think the Leafs PK does look improved this season and that's probably one of the few real positives that team has going for it.

BF3

Boom Roasted.
Dec 30, 2011
Cbus
I hereby propose KFQ to be renamed KQ
and JK to be renamed JFK!!!

(this is props to Quincey and not really a hit on Kindl) LOL (although its clear who our NEW whipping boy is :) )

Don't you are take Quincey's F away. He's worked really hard for that, damn it! I'm sure he's thinking about he can pinch up really, really badly and give up a 3 on 1 with Kindl back. I can just picture it now....

But yes, Quinceuy has been, overall, quite good 4 games in this season.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I *think* that he didn't "know" he was there, but that he was gambling on it.

He knew that he had no shot himself, but he also knew he had dragged two of the Leafs players along with him. He knows that his team SHOULD be following up and that if they were, they'd be right about in the slot area. So he throws it back to catch one based on what his team SHOULD be doing.

At least, that's what I concluded. Like you, I watched the replay and I never saw Z identify Franzen's position on the ice. I think it was more good chemistry and positioning

Franzen isn't a mute guys, he was probably yelling his *** off.

I did find it interesting that Nestrasil got himself covered with the beaver tap last night. One of the reasons you don't see NHL guys do that often. But while Z probably did feel him with his incredible hockey IQ, my guess is a guy he has played with for what near a decade yelling to him told him he was right there just like he thought he would be.

Actual Thought*

Contender by December. Somehow people will be surprised.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad