Value of: Islanders rebuild

Green

Nov 13, 2019
Islanders have to have a complete rebuild, everyone outside of Dobson should be for sale, what is the value of Sorokin, Barzal, Horvat, etc. anyone else on the Isles roster is for sale

• Wow
Reactions: Jacob582

Green

Nov 13, 2019
Right on cue whenever a team loses. All of Wash, TB, NYI are going full rebuild. Soon it will be 8 teams contending and 24 rebuilding….
I have been saying the Isles should rebuild for the last 2 years, an aging core and snother awful 1st round exit should seal it

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I have been saying the Isles should rebuild for the last 2 years, an aging core and snother awful 1st round exit should seal it
No way to move that many guys out.
Best case is to find new homes for Nelson and Palmeri who have a year left and JGP who has 2 left. Change up the mix and get younger. A team looking to turn the corner may want to add a veteran with minimal term.

Green

Nov 13, 2019
So your solution to rebuild an aging team is to trade away its young talent? How does that make sense?
what young talent? Dobson and maybe Romanov are the only young talent, this team has hit a wall and there is absolutely no way to improve them given how weak the farm is, the "core" of Barzal/Horvat/Sorokin/Pelech/Pulock will just be wasted over the next few years on a below average team until it is time to trade them when they will be over the hill

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020
Going to channel my inner Bern….

1 conditional 3rd, 4 4th’s, 6 6ths, , Goodrow @9% and 39 months of free soda to the Isles team for Barzal @50%.
Bern wouldn't offer the 3rd just a promise of a good job in the Islanders corporation maybe head of the soft drink division....

TBF1972

May 19, 2018

1 conditional 3rd, 4 4th’s, 6 6ths, , Goodrow @9% and 39 months of free soda to the Isles team for Barzal @50%.
man, i am so sorry for you. honestly. i didn't know it is contagious.

• Haha
Reactions: UnSandvich

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
I think they need to move Dobson - he was hideous this series and is valuable
Which is why even invertebrates can figure out he was playing hurt.

It makes no sense for the Islanders to do a full rebuild. The chances that it takes years to acquire players like Barzal, Horvat, Dobson, and Sorokin who then disappoint trying to take the next step are too high to justify the cost of the total rebuild. See, for example, Buffalo. Or for a more successful but for all that more disappointing version, Toronto. Nope.

Islanders have 2 30 goal scorers who are not complete players, and who do not move the needle by themselves. They will be on their last years. They are the obvious places to start in terms of sending players away. In terms of bringing players in, NYI need to make cap room while acquiring athletic players for their bottom 6. Then they can move on with pruning players who do not contribute enough while being opportunistic with acquisitions. This plan could also fail, but it is no more likely to fail than the first plan, and the cost (abjectly miserable losing seasons) is far lower.

How valuable can Brock Nelson be for a team trying to get over the hump for 1 year, especially if NYI retain? Ditto for Palmieri (although the value is less)?

One last point - yes it is true that the current frontrunner for 1st overall in 2025 is a Long Island kid, and grew up an Islanders fan. We would all *love* James Hagens to become our hometown franchise player. Even with full on tanking, which would probably mean cleaning out the coaching staff & hockey management, a full tank push still results in considerably less than 50/50 odds that will happen. Pile up lottery balls, teams that are also awful & trying to lose, and teams that have seasons totally fall apart due to injuries, and you'll see how the chances get there. See the Coyotes who in all those years of awfulness never drafted above #3 overall.

Last edited:

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Right on cue whenever a team loses. All of Wash, TB, NYI are going full rebuild. Soon it will be 8 teams contending and 24 rebuilding….
In fairness the Caps have been planning for the future for two seasons now by selling at the deadline and the Lightning have some important decisions to make coming up. Washington was expected to be closer to drafting Celebrini this season than to making the playoffs this year.

The Isles though, I don’t see how you rebuild when you have six players signed for at least six more seasons, respectively, and your top two centers are signed into the 2030s.

Reactions: IafrateOvie34

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Islanders have to have a complete rebuild, everyone outside of Dobson should be for sale, what is the value of Sorokin, Barzal, Horvat, etc. anyone else on the Isles roster is for sale
Rs pass, thanks
only interested in Dobbie, OP specified off limits, so no

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC

And then we flip Barzal, along with Lafreniere, Othmann, Pearreault, Schneider, and five of the six 6ths to Toronto for Matthews and Marner.

Our top line is Matthews-Rempe-Marner.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I think they need to move Dobson - he was hideous this series and is valuable
is he only piece besides Barzal who commands a premium, availablity aside?

while I get this was a joke, my friend...
have I taught you nothing?

Grasshopper, refresh your vision, so your channel is more clearly seen.
bern does not make such offers

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad