• No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Site is so slow. Can see an effect in the drop in activity in GDT' in the Pens forum at least.

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
These new boards are a bandwidth hog. If I have everything internet related shut off my bandwidth tracker reads 0...

when I open ONLY 1 page from these boards my usuage spikes up to 700k.1.2 mb down and up. (which begs the question..."what exactly is this forum UPLOADING from my computer???"

If that is because of all the fancy ads these boards can spam now in this new format...that's ridiculous.

I tried messaging support half a week ago about this and have yet to hear back.

Reactions: LeafChief

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
This site is very difficult to use for me. First it was blocked at work because of sex ads or whatever. That eventually worked itself out somehow. On my tablet (no adblock) you get redirects and all kinds of stuff. On my PC and Tablet, if you leave the site running up for more than 30 or 60 seconds on one page, your computer just about locks up or hangs a lot (and these are not at all slow devices). On mobile, it loads a little better, but in the time it takes you to reply, you eventually get bogged down and there's this delay of three to six words of typing before what you type appears.

Effectively, you can't leave the site up for more than 60 seconds without it doing something - that I have to assume is detrimental to my devices. My usage has dropped significantly as a direct result. And if I see something I want to respond to, I have to close the window, open notepad and type it, go back to the thread, paste it in and leave...

Ignoring that I don't care much for the new format - I'll adjust to it over time, change is scary blah blah blah...but its fundamental usability has tanked hard, disappointingly so...

LarryFisherman

o̯̘̍͋̀͌̂͒͋͋ͯ̿ͯͦ̈́ͬ͒̚̚
May 9, 2013
Arvada, CO
This site is very difficult to use for me. First it was blocked at work because of sex ads or whatever. That eventually worked itself out somehow. On my tablet (no adblock) you get redirects and all kinds of stuff. On my PC and Tablet, if you leave the site running up for more than 30 or 60 seconds on one page, your computer just about locks up or hangs a lot (and these are not at all slow devices). On mobile, it loads a little better, but in the time it takes you to reply, you eventually get bogged down and there's this delay of three to six words of typing before what you type appears.

Effectively, you can't leave the site up for more than 60 seconds without it doing something - that I have to assume is detrimental to my devices. My usage has dropped significantly as a direct result. And if I see something I want to respond to, I have to close the window, open notepad and type it, go back to the thread, paste it in and leave...

Ignoring that I don't care much for the new format - I'll adjust to it over time, change is scary blah blah blah...but its fundamental usability has tanked hard, disappointingly so...

Pay attention, admins. When a 16 core hyperthreded xeon server with 128gb of ram has trouble loading 2 tabs of a page, your shit is broken.

Fix it, or you will lose engagement.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013

I guess this is Crave's way of trying to force everyone onto a sponsored account. For me, this site (while I hate the design and mandatory.com part) loads 100x faster than the vB site. It's almost instant. Not a good business practice to try to make it unusable unless you are a sponsor.

TheStroker

Jun 13, 2012
USA
I don't come here as often any more because the performance is so garbage. Old site was simple and did the job.

I'm the same. I just lagged my way through a thread, had over 852 (!) blocked items and the lag was unbearable. Just brutal all around browsing experience. I find myself not coming here as often either, which really sucks because I need my hockey discussion fix. But even on my high end PC and 175 mbit connection, this site behaves like an old netscape navigator website with laggy graphics and big gaps all throughout.

Not everything needs to be updated simply to cater to the new hip website design most sites have. Often simpler is better, regardless of what the latest marketing brochure tells you. At the very least, it should have been tested a lot better. Maybe a Beta site a couple dozen users could have tried out and had them give suggestions? Seems like this update was just rolled out and everyone hoped for the best.

Really hoping the quirks get fixed around here, and quick. The more I spend on this site, the less impressed I am overall with the update.

Reactions: Red and G F O P

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan
These new boards are a bandwidth hog. If I have everything internet related shut off my bandwidth tracker reads 0...

when I open ONLY 1 page from these boards my usuage spikes up to 700k.1.2 mb down and up. (which begs the question..."what exactly is this forum UPLOADING from my computer???"

If that is because of all the fancy ads these boards can spam now in this new format...that's ridiculous.

I tried messaging support half a week ago about this and have yet to hear back.
i've noticed the bandwidth usage too. unusually high amounts of bandwidth being used upstream, even with ad blocking installed

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
i've noticed the bandwidth usage too. unusually high amounts of bandwidth being used upstream, even with ad blocking installed

I've tried contacting the site admin but nobody is getting back to me. Something is very off when a forum web site is uploading 1.2 MEGS/second off of my machine.

And since there is no support forum...where do we post this stuff? This is honestly SERIOUS stuff.

Data is being transfered OFF our machines.

LarryFisherman

o̯̘̍͋̀͌̂͒͋͋ͯ̿ͯͦ̈́ͬ͒̚̚
May 9, 2013
Arvada, CO
I've tried contacting the site admin but nobody is getting back to me. Something is very off when a forum web site is uploading 1.2 MEGS/second off of my machine.

And since there is no support forum...where do we post this stuff? This is honestly SERIOUS stuff.

Data is being transfered OFF our machines.

hope you have pfsense :)

MillanDynasty

Oct 6, 2015
Montreal
Really breaks my heart that I have to leave this forums, but this site is just absolutely f***ing unusable right now.

Just the time it took me to write this, I have over 350 blocked ads.

Whoever designed this is a bunch of clueless clowns. Fix your shit.

Sep 19, 2008
Windows firewall and my router. But really...where are the site admins? And how does one get ahold of them?

As I said they're content with the status quo right now and have no interest in fixing it. This is their best

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
As I said they're content with the status quo right now and have no interest in fixing it. This is their best

It really surprises me that their isn't more attention drawn to this?

Like right now people view this thread, view my posts and are not concerned that data is being lifted off of our machines from this website at the rate of 1 mb/s. (that litterally maxes out my upload rate provided to my by my ISP so it could really be more depending on your connection.)

Wake up people! Go test for yourself.

That's really concerning and shady.

I like discussing hockey but not at the cost of my privacy.

And to make matters worse, you cannot get in touch with site admins to ask what that is or why that's happening.

Heck their isn't even a side forum to discuss website issues where we can talk about stuff like this.

So what we have here right now is a very popular, high traffic forum website blatantly downloading information from anyone who idles here...with no means of communication to the site admins or a forum to discuss or bring attention to something very concerning as data transfer at a high rate off of our machines...

that's really very dirty.

Last edited:

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
It really surprises me that their isn't more attention drawn to this?

Like right now people view this thread, view my posts and are not concerned that data is being lifted off of their machines from this website at the rate of 1 mb/s. (that litterally maxes out my upload rate provided to my by my ISP so it could really be more depending on your connection.)

Wake up people! Go test for yourself.

That's really concerning and shady.

I like discussing hockey but not at the cost of my privacy.

And to make matters worse, you cannot get in touch with site admins to ask what that is or why that's happening.

Heck their isn't even a side forum to discuss website issues where we can talk about stuff like this.

So what we have here right now is a very popular, high traffic forum website blatantly downloading information from anyone who idles here...with no means of communication to the site admins or a forum to discuss or bring attention to something very concerning as data transfer at a high rate off of our machines...

that's really very dirty.

Have you tried anything here? Looks like on the bottom right you can start a thread, but I'd be amazed if it was acknowledged.... and if by some miracle it is, I bet it's something generic like "We are aware and are working on it."

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/forums/support.68/

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
Have you tried anything here? Looks like on the bottom right you can start a thread, but I'd be amazed if it was acknowledged.... and if by some miracle it is, I bet it's something generic like "We are aware and are working on it."

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/forums/support.68/

I have tried using the support feature at the bottom of the page. I just posted using the support feature you just posted and oh my lord was that buggy!

popup blocker was up to 350+ ads blocked...and for every new pop up blocked I had to reclick back onto my message to type another letter.

I had to do this for EVERY LETTER. ugh!

This isn't just my problem though. (data transfer) This is EVERYONE's problem. Yours, mine...and anyone else who idle's here.

This needs to be both addressed and resolved.

Reactions: RayP

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan
everything worked great before they added ads back in
makes sense. the site performance the first couple days were fine for me.

after that it's been absolute crap. I understand ads allow the site to be free, but they need to figure out a way to make the ads less intrusive and less resource intensive

dragonballgtz

Jul 30, 2014
This new layout/build of the site is horrible. I'm not seeing any network usage like others are stating they're seeing, but the site does start to become unresponsive if typing takes more than 3 or 4 minutes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad