Hmmm .... Zach Hyman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
So, to sum up this week's discourse so far

Hyman isn't that great of an NHLer, and shouldn't be playing with Matthews and Nylander so they can score more.

vs.

Hyman isn't that great of an NHLer (though better than some are suggesting), but is perfectly fine to slot in with Matthews and Nylander as that unit as a whole and the team are working extremely well due to that combination of players.

That about do it?

I think I slot in right in the middle. Hyman isn't that great of an NHLer (though better than some are suggesting) and he is fine working with Matthews and Nylander, but I would much rather see someone else in his spot.

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON

Komarov playing 3 on three hockey, Komarov killing the Marleau- Kadri line, Polak playing when he was playing terrible, Martin in over Kapanen. A few bad decision's that certain fans caught onto before the coach did. The stance your holding, that the coach is infallible, is a dangerous one. Even Babcock knows he's not perfect and can get it wrong sometimes.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
Hyman is a good NHL forward, who plays a role within the dynamic of his line and the team as a whole. While not having ideal offensive ability, he hangs just fine with Matthews/Nylander because he's a relentless forechecker, who at the very least, loosens up the puck in corners and goes to the front of the net to create space and opportunities for our prime scorers.

Moonman

Maybe Next Time
Jul 3, 2015
Hyman is a good NHL forward, who plays a role within the dynamic of his line and the team as a whole. While not having ideal offensive ability, he hangs just fine with Matthews/Nylander because he's a relentless forechecker, who at the very least, loosens up the puck in corners and goes to the front of the net to create space and opportunities for our prime scorers.
what exactly is he good at?

any puck retrieval is wasted when he falls or can't stick handle and look up at the same time.

if he's good defensively, which I don't even agree with that, then put him in a checking role.

in my opinion he's a 4th liner at best.

ToMaLe

Sep 24, 2002
Saskatchewan

any puck retrieval is wasted when he falls or can't stick handle and look up at the same time.

if he's good defensively, which I don't even agree with that, then put him in a checking role.

in my opinion he's a 4th liner at best.[/QUOTE

good post!

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009

in my opinion he's a 4th liner at best.

Okay, but his production and constant contribution on the forecheck counteract your opinion of him, so there's that. Was it @Gary Nylund who had his statistical production being in line with a top 6 winger?

Moonman

Maybe Next Time
Jul 3, 2015
and again if you forecheck and recover a puck, only to turn it over, then it's not worth anything.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
Whether Hyman helps or hurts Matthews line.
That's a silly question.

I don't know why you'd feel the need to actively try to find fault in one of the best, most responsible - (the trio are a combined +64, with only 40 PIM between them) - yet least experienced lines in the entire sport, which boasts two superstar-level talents and two excellent defensive presences, with all three players showing huge* improvements in their 5v5 production in their sophomore years, and being major contributors on a team in the midst of one of their greatest Regular Season campaigns in franchise history (admittedly, with an asterisk).

If you do feel so compelled, though, this thread is littered with tons and tons of stats that have shown that Hyman is capable of producing 1st-line production given 1st-line opportunities, is at worst a top-6 producer at 5v5, and that Matthews' and Nylander's production while playing with Hyman is some of the best in the NHL.

*Seriously, each player's 5v5 stats have skyrocketed from last year to this year:
Matthews (2016/17) - 2.327 EVP/60 (43rd); 1.551 EVG/60 (6th); +2 (T-150th)
Matthews (2017/18) - 3.023 EVP/60 (9th); 1.828 EVG/60 (1st); +23 (9th)

Nylander (2016/17) - 1.907 EVP/60 (113th); 1.199 EVA/60 (89th); -3 (T-232nd)
Nylander (2017/18) - 2.431 EVP/60 (48th); 1.809 EVA/60 (17th); +19 (21st)

Hyman (2016/17) - 1.279 EVP/60 (280th); +2 (T-150th)
Hyman (2017/18) - 1.885 EVP/60 (138th); +22 (12th)

(All rankings based on Forwards with 30+ GP)

Reactions: Leafidelity

Moonman

Maybe Next Time
Jul 3, 2015
Most folks of your ilk lack self awareness and the capacity to process their own shortcomings. But entertain us all, and keep going.
oh wow you have a personal psychological makeup on me based on a few comments on Zach Hyman. how prescient.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad