Value of: High end package from New Jersey

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Fans and reporters were grilling Ruff hard
on his goalie management right before he got fired.

Yeah weird.
I don’t disagree with you that Ruff ran him into the ground.

What I disagree with is you seem to have too much confidence in him to the point where we should be giving him the backup spot next year and acting dumbfounded about why Jake Allen is here to be the backup, because you think Daws should be the backup.

Reactions: MasterofGrond

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
I don’t disagree with you that Ruff ran him into the ground.

What I disagree with is you seem to have too much confidence in him to the point where we should be giving him the backup spot next year and acting dumbfounded about why Jake Allen is here to be the backup, because you think Daws should be the backup.
I have confidence that one of Schmid and Daws are good enough to be the back up next year and the other gets a full season in the AHL with a starters workload.

Let the two of them fight it out in training camp.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I have confidence that one of Schmid and Daws are good enough to be the back up next year and the other gets a full season in the AHL with a starters workload.

We tried that this year and it failed masterfully.

Granted, Vanecek’s nervous breakdown didn’t help.

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
We tried that this year and it failed masterfully.

Granted, Vanecek’s nervous breakdown didn’t help.
The two of them are going to be a year older. Schmids going through a sophomore slump and this is Daws real rookie year. The last time he was a green 21 year old.

They are probably both ready next year, but the fact that none of them look like a starter means that they fight it out and the better goalie gets the back up job and the other cant get too upset.

Having two NHL ready goalies splitting starts in the AHL ain't the answer.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I think we're probably still in a holding pattern through the offseason--Trotz keeps him unless it's clear he will not consider an extension or there's an offer that makes it academic. Trading Saros for just a pick that probably doesn't sniff NHL ice for 4-5 seasons would be a tough sell to the players I think after their performance this year.
I assumed they were talking about Askarov.

McDuffz88

HIRE BERUBE!!!
Sep 18, 2019
The two of them are going to be a year older. Schmids going through a sophomore slump and this is Daws real rookie year. The last time he was a green 21 year old.

They are probably both ready next year, but the fact that none of them look like a starter means that they fight it out and the better goalie gets the back up job and the other cant get too upset.

So you want us to do an exact carbon copy of this year? Making one of them the backup puts us in the same situation as now. God forbid our starter gets injured or has a decline we're right back to Daws/Schmid as our starter. We can't afford to lose another year. These kids are young. Let them season up in the minors for the year. Let them battle it out. Get their confidence back. At some point it's only a matter of time until one of our main goalies gets injured & whoever is playing better between the 2 gets the call up. Get a real starter, let Allen be the backup for all of next year & if the kids are showing good enough by the following season then they will get promoted. We just can't take any more chances putting faith in them. We need a Vet duo who we know for a fact we can rely on.

Reactions: Bleedred

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024

Having 2 NHL ready goalies with waiver exemption ready to step in is in fact 100% the right idea.

NJD will now have access to 4 NHL ready goalies next year. Allen, Schmid, Daws, and whoever they sign/trade for to be the starter

ninetyeight

Jun 3, 2007
Finland

The idea is right but the timing is a year too early. They'll most likely do this for the 25-26 season. You need to make sure that this season won't happen again. Jake Allen was brought in for a reason and for a relatively big price. So they are not gonna just dump him now, he will be the backup next season. And if he keeps playing like he has, they'll be very comfortable with him.

Like @Bleedred mentioned, every bad goalie can have few good games here and there. Wedgewood has multiple 40+ save shutouts in the league, but I don't think many are calling him great. Consistancy is the key. Daws and Schmid have both shown that they have the potential to become NHL starters, but neither is there yet (the consistancy and the mental aspect is still missing) and 6 months isn't enough to change it.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Devils fans might prefer to steer clear of Saros, if he becomes available. Because about the only way he does become available is if his contract demands are outrageous. And regardless of what you give up for him, I don't think you want to see him signed to an 8-year mega-contract. You're better off paying less of an acquisition cost for Markstrom/Ullmark because you can escape from them sooner and see what else appears on the market in a shorter term future.

Of course, some will say the Devils don't HAVE to sign Saros to an extension if they acquire him. But then I don't think you want to pay what it would take to get him just for a 1-yr rental either.

I'd rather just keep my futures assets and run Allen + Daws/Schmid if I was a NJD fan and it came down to that. Go after Brossoit in free agency. Consider picking up a cheap veteran if that falls through, a Lankinen or keep Kahkonen, or Talbot if you think Daws/Schmid need more seasoning. But stay the course. Some team is going to get stuck needing to trade a goalie at the next Expansion, or some better UFA market will materialize. Either way, you can find a cheaper way to get "good enough" goaltending meanwhile.

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020
Devils fans might prefer to steer clear of Saros, if he becomes available. Because about the only way he does become available is if his contract demands are outrageous. And regardless of what you give up for him, I don't think you want to see him signed to an 8-year mega-contract. You're better off paying less of an acquisition cost for Markstrom/Ullmark because you can escape from them sooner and see what else appears on the market in a shorter term future.

Of course, some will say the Devils don't HAVE to sign Saros to an extension if they acquire him. But then I don't think you want to pay what it would take to get him just for a 1-yr rental either.

I'd rather just keep my futures assets and run Allen + Daws/Schmid if I was a NJD fan and it came down to that. Go after Brossoit in free agency. Consider picking up a cheap veteran if that falls through, a Lankinen or keep Kahkonen, or Talbot if you think Daws/Schmid need more seasoning. But stay the course. Some team is going to get stuck needing to trade a goalie at the next Expansion, or some better UFA market will materialize. Either way, you can find a cheaper way to get "good enough" goaltending meanwhile.
This is the smart long term approach the Devils should take...Problem is Fitz is shell shocked from this past year and last years success has a lot of the fans in go mode window fully open when in reality it's just starting to open....Patience should be the way that we handle this and look to this team going for it in 2 to 3 years not this summer...By rushing it you are much more susceptible to making bad trades...

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
Don’t disagree, and yet if I’m the flames and I end up with a Holtz-level player with that 9th pick in the draft, I’m super disappointed.

I think all this really highlights is that to get a younger elite-level goaltender than Markstrom, NJ will need to give up a lot more than just the 9th pick.

The 2024 1st round pick is a nice trade chip but I’m not sure it gets the goaltender NJ is looking for alone.
Holtz is another guy that looks poised to break out the second he's out of New Jersey, his shot is elite but he's not a strong skater. His biggest issue in NJ is the fact that he constantly gets 4th line minutes with Tierney, Lazar, Bastian and now MacDermid.

He's never really gotten any kind of chance playing on the top 2 lines, just a shift here and there, but I understand why you'd think it would be disappointing because you're just looking at the results. To me it's a lot like the Sharangovich trade, people were dunking on Calgary right away because Yegor hadn't done too much, but I said from the start Calgary was going to love Rango.

Holtz has the potential to be a 30 goal guy, but he'll never get the opportunity to do it in NJ.

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
Good to see Devils fans have changed their tune from “If Hill can do it any goaltender can”! To “let’s get serious and get a real goaltender”. It’s time for the Devils to start being serious about competing, the rebuild is over.

Fitzpatrick should have been fired for his last offseason.

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
Good to see Devils fans have changed their tune from “If Hill can do it any goaltender can”! To “let’s get serious and get a real goaltender”. It’s time for the Devils to start being serious about competing, the rebuild is over.

Fitzpatrick should have been fired for his last offseason.
Can you really blame Devil fans though? Look at the best goaltenders in the league, Shesterkin 0 Stanley Cups, Hellebuyck 0 Stanley Cups, Sorokin 0 Stanley Cups, Demko, 0 Stanley Cups. Only high end goalie to actually win a Cup is Vasilevskiy, yet guys like Hill, Binnington and Kuemper have all won. Plus the Vanecek/Schmid had a pretty darn good year last year.

Also who is Fitzpatrick?

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010

I was going to mention Brossoit as well. Can't say for sure if he'd be the guy to run 60+ games, but he's been really good in his two stints in Winnipeg and unfortunately it's unlikely the Jets will be able to re-sign him this off season.

Maybe a tandem of Brossoit and Allen sharing the load.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
The idea that Lindgren is held together by staples and duct tape is comical. Guy has missed 30 games across five seasons.
Because he plays through injuries. Dude is tough, no one can take that away from him, but I haven’t seen a defenseman take that much physical punishment since Justin Braun, who was made of rubber.

Reactions: Grinner

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
Can you really blame Devil fans though? Look at the best goaltenders in the league, Shesterkin 0 Stanley Cups, Hellebuyck 0 Stanley Cups, Sorokin 0 Stanley Cups, Demko, 0 Stanley Cups. Only high end goalie to actually win a Cup is Vasilevskiy, yet guys like Hill, Binnington and Kuemper have all won. Plus the Vanecek/Schmid had a pretty darn good year last year.

Also who is Fitzpatrick?

Don’t engage with that poster. Trust me.

Reactions: HBK27

TS Quint

Sep 8, 2012

Also who is Fitzpatrick?
Gerald…. Whoops.

Yes I can blame the fans for settling on a weak tandem in net when the Devils should be trying to win and FitzGERALD for not getting the job done. Any reasonable fan and Fitzgerald knew Vanecek/Schmid wasn’t good enough. He wouldn’t have been publicly searching for a goaltender all this time if he didn’t know that.

TS Quint

Sep 8, 2012

Also who is Fitzpatrick?
Gerald…. Whoops.

Yes I can blame the fans for settling with a weak duo in net when the Devils should be trying to win and FitzGERALD for not getting the job done. Any reasonable fan and Fitzgerald knew Vanecek/Schmid wasn’t good enough. He wouldn’t have been publicly searching for a goaltender all this time if he didn’t know that.

Don’t engage with that poster. Trust me.
You’re mad because I have said the Devils are a good team and they should have gotten a good goaltender. That shouldn’t have you clutching your pearls.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Gerald…. Whoops.

Yes I can blame the fans for settling with a weak duo in net when the Devils should be trying to win and FitzGERALD for not getting the job done. Any reasonable fan and Fitzgerald knew Vanecek/Schmid wasn’t good enough. He wouldn’t have been publicly searching for a goaltender all this time if he didn’t know that.

You’re mad because I have said the Devils are a good team and they should have gotten a good goaltender. That shouldn’t have you clutching your pearls.
So Fitzgerald is bad because the market on goalies was ridiculously expensive?

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas

It's actually interesting because acquiring Ullmark also means you're probably committing to him for 6 years. He won't get Saros' contract, but 5 years, 6 million is probably likely. And I'm not sure you want to grab Ullmark as a rental for a year and have to do this again the following year. But I'm not sure the devils want to commit to a goalie for 6 years either.

Its one of the reasons I believe that they were so into Markstrom. I think 2 years is a sweet spot for them because they can let Markstrom roll, give Schmid, Daws, Malek more time to cook and see where they are at.

I think term is a big deal for the devils.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad