Value of: High end package from New Jersey

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I'm pretty sure the poster just meant the player would be an idea pickup for their team, not that Lindgren is worth the opening package mentioned.
Then why mention it in this thread? He already stated that the Rangers and Devils aren’t like to make a significant trade with each other in the first place too.

Reactions: Devilsfan118

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
That 2024 1st may be too much for Devils fans to consider moving, especially for a goalie if that's where we are headed with this...and that is totally fair...but I guess I'm really not sold the rest of the potential assets listed constitute that high-end of a package.

- Holtz has not been good in recent games. I have real issues projecting his impact with the lack of high-end foot speed. Others may disagree and I respect that but he's definitely not a favorite of mine.
- Siegenthaler has been poor this year, flat-out. I think he's a perfectly adequate #4/5 pure stay-at-home guy but to expect more than that moving forward? I personally wouldn't.
- Filmon is a nice former 6th round pick with intriguing tools but I'm not sure it's reasonable to expect some sort of massive jump in value at this point.

I'd say take out the 1st and see what you can get for the three other assets listed...maybe a lower pick instead of a possible near top-10 pick added in. It won't get you an elite asset back but it may still be enough to solve the goaltending issue.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Then why mention it in this thread? He already stated that the Rangers and Devils aren’t like to make a significant trade with each other in the first place too.
Because the thread says defensive minded/top 4 so the poster responded. I'm not going to go back and forth with you about "why say it if it will never happen" as I was simply pointing out I don't think the poster was saying Lindgren was worth anything remotely close to a top 10 pick/the opening package.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
If the NJD wins the lottery, they now have other pieces to trade. Mercer is no longer off the table when you got a guys like Bratt, Hughes, Meier, Hischier, Celebrini/Demidov/etc depending on which spot they win. However, most goalies aren't really worth Mercer, so you can still probably find a package without him for an upgrade.
If you win Celebrini you go

Macklin-Jack-Timo
Palat-Nico-Bratt
-Haula-Mercer
- -Lazar
Hughes-Nemec
Siegs-Hamilton
-Marino

Casey, Holtz should be on the table and future 1sts.

Try and get Trenin, Foegele, maybe a 4C (but could just run Lazar there).

Use remaining cap and some assets on a Dman/Goalie combo (Jarry/Marcus Pettersson for 2025 1st+Holtz)

ninetyeight

Jun 3, 2007
Finland
Is Schneider for 7OA 9OA the last time a goalie fetched a high pick?

I don't think Holtz' or Siegenthaler's value is very high right now, so it would poor asset management to trade them now.

The goalie's that fetch a top10 pick aren't available.

Last edited:

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
They desperately need a a LHD that is well above average in his own end that can play physical and a legit starting goalie. All those assets should be on the table as well as Mercer, Casey and future picks. Maybe they shouldn't move Siegenthaler though, just get someone better to eat the harder minutes and let him play lower where he belongs.

Obviously Mercer should only go if the aforementioned defender is headed to the Devils, I wouldn't expect him to go for a goalie unless it's straight across 1-1

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
Last I checked no such situation existed here, despite the desperate wishes of Habs fans with designs on KJ and Leafs fans wanting to poach Jiricek.

On the actual topic, unfortunately the Jackets don't really have either asset the Devils are looking for to offer, unless y'all want to take your chances with a hypothetical Elvis bounceback. We also need that same kind of blueliner, tho, so we're more likely to be trade competitors rather than partners. :dunno:
As for my other team... well, better assets would be needed to move Saros.
Jiricek openly complained about being sent down. Johnson changed agents. Merzlikins also openly complained about the roster management. And this is the stuff we do know.

I guess Jarmo was fired for nothing mid season? He clearly mishandled his situation

If I am NJ - I'd only move that package for 3 goalies:
- Swayman
- Shesterkin
- Sorokin

Daws and Schmid being the goalies next year in Utica, then the better of the two being NJ's full time backup in 25-26 season is a very responsible plan.
2 goalies that have proven they can play at the NHL level splitting duties in the AHL, yeah what can go wrong.

Imo Schmid and Daws battle it out in training camp for the back up job, the other gets all the AHL starts. The two of then should be ready to handle the back up workload next year behind a guy like Ullmark.

A1LeafNation

Oct 17, 2010
Daws and Schmid were given plenty of opportunity to grab the reigns. They did not
They did grab it and then Lindy then began to over play them and got himself fired for his goalie management.

If you want a clear example of how to bring a rookie goalie along in the NHL, look no further than Hofer behind Binnington.

If you want a clear example of overplaying a rookie who started off well and began to show cracks because he wasn't adequately supported, look at Ersson in Philly.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

Lockin17

Jul 31, 2018
Could Struble be better then Bahl in NJ top 4 on Defense ?

Struble-Nemec could be a great 3 and 4
Struble is a solid shut down D

Struble is not worth that package obviously but Holtz maybe ?

Struble for Holtz ?

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Could Struble be better then Bahl in NJ top 4 on Defense ?

Struble-Nemec could be a great 3 and 4
Struble is a solid shut down D

Struble is not worth that package obviously but Holtz maybe ?

Struble for Holtz ?
No. Not even close.

3rd round pick for any of: Harris, Barron, Xhekaj, Struble.

If you're talking Holtz in a trade for a habs dman, it'll be Guhle

They did grab it and then Lindy then began to over play them and got himself fired for his goalie management.

If you want a clear example of how to bring a rookie goalie along in the NHL, look no further than Hofer behind Binnington.

If you want a clear example of overplaying a rookie who started off well and began to show cracks because he wasn't adequately supported, look at Ersson in Philly.
Neither ersson or hofer have had a complete career so neither of them are an example of anything.

There is no definitive "right" way to bring up a goalie.

• Haha
Reactions: Lockin17

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
If the Penguins decide to get a bit more aggressive in their urge to get younger, I could see Marcus Pettersson and Tristan Jarry being very appealing to New Jersey. I think both fit the overall needs of the team quite well and they are of appropriate age and have good contracts.

Several people suggested that something along the lines of Bahl+1st for Pettersson was fair and if the asking price for Markstrom was Holtz+1st, I imagine the price tag on Jarry would be similar.

Pettersson = Bahl + 1st
Jarry = Holtz + 1st

So how about something like:

Bahl, Holtz, Seigenthaler, 1st
for
Pettersson, Jarry

I would also gladly rework the deal if Mercer were available in that package.

Lockin17

Jul 31, 2018
No. Not even close.

Neither ersson or hofer have had a complete career so neither of them are an example of anything.

Gezz relax mate Holtz is border line a bust

A1LeafNation

Oct 17, 2010
No. Not even close.

One struggling and one thriving...so yeah you can take from what other teams are doing and apply it accordingly.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
If the Penguins decide to get a bit more aggressive in their urge to get younger, I could see Marcus Pettersson and Tristan Jarry being very appealing to New Jersey. I think both fit the overall needs of the team quite well and they are of appropriate age and have good contracts.

Several people suggested that something along the lines of Bahl+1st for Pettersson was fair and if the asking price for Markstrom was Holtz+1st, I imagine the price tag on Jarry would be similar.

Pettersson = Bahl + 1st
Jarry = Holtz + 1st

for
Pettersson, Jarry

I don't think NJD would offer Holtz+1st for Jarry. Maybe just a 2025 1st.

2025 1st+2026 1st+Bahl+3rd for Pettersson+Jarry

or 2024 1st+Bahl+3rd for Pettersson+Jarry.

or 2025 1st+Holtz for the pair

I'll take Dach and Newhook wayy before Holtz

Holtz would be a project on a 3rd line
Alright then, NJD will keep holtz.

so back to. Kovacevic, Struble, Xhekaj, Barron, Harris.

3rd. Take your pick which one to send out. Or call us when 1 hits waivers

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I don't think NJD would offer Holtz+1st for Jarry. Maybe just a 2025 1st.

2025 1st+2026 1st+Bahl+3rd for Pettersson+Jarry

or 2024 1st+Bahl+3rd for Pettersson+Jarry.

or 2025 1st+Holtz for the pair
The last two would get you one or the other, not both.

The first offer is in the ballpark but it might depend on conditions. If it's a condition-less 2025 1st, I think long and hard.

The problem is, Bahl isn't that great of a dman or else you wouldn't be needing the upgrade. We likely need back a young player to make it worth our while to trade within the division.

HugeInTheShire

Mar 8, 2021
Alberta

Pettersson = Bahl + 1st
Jarry = Holtz + 1st

for
Pettersson, Jarry

I don't think the Devils will want to risk sending Holtz to another Metro team, just because there is a chance he breaks out and burns them for year to come.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
The last two would get you one or the other, not both.

The first offer is in the ballpark but it might depend on conditions. If it's a condition-less 2025 1st, I think long and hard.

The problem is, Bahl isn't that great of a dman or else you wouldn't be needing the upgrade. We likely need back a young player to make it worth our while to trade within the division.

The market on young roster players are EXPENSIVE.

You seem to be imo undervaluing what is shaping up to be a top 10 pick and Holtz.

I view the 1st package as the smallest. (no team is trading unconditonal 1sts in the offseason in this day and age)

HitterD

Apr 25, 2022
Calgary
On one hand the Devils’ 2024 1st (say around 9th overall) would be a very attractive asset to get a goaltender, and the last time they traded they pick they gave up what ended up being Horvat, that has value

But on the other hand, that 9th could be a player like Holtz, and I’d hate to trade a good goaltender for a 3rd line winger. Interestingly, the Devils were rumoured to be dangling Holtz for Markstrom at the deadline. While that return (Holtz) doesnt appeal to me as a Flames fan for Markstrom, a 9th overall pick sounds great as a return for Markstrom.

If the 9th turns into Horvat in happy, Holtz not so much so I still think it’s a risky trade

HugeInTheShire

Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
On one hand the Devils’ 2024 1st (say around 9th overall) would be a very attractive asset to get a goaltender, and the last time they traded they pick they gave up what ended up being Horvat, that has value

But on the other hand, that 9th could be a player like Holtz, and I’d hate to trade a good goaltender for a 3rd line winger. Interestingly, the Devils were rumoured to be dangling Holtz for Markstrom at the deadline. While that return (Holtz) doesnt appeal to me as a Flames fan for Markstrom, a 9th overall pick sounds great as a return for Markstrom.

If the 9th turns into Horvat in happy, Holtz not so much so I still think it’s a risky trade
They'd need a younger legit starting goalie to put 9th on the table, I doubt the even consider trading it for Markstrom.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024

Yeah 9th overall is not going to be available for Markstrom

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Jiricek openly complained about being sent down. Johnson changed agents. Merzlikins also openly complained about the roster management. And this is the stuff we do know.
Not going to hijack the thread by continuing to reply beyond just letting you know that you've been pretty thoroughly misled about the whole situation here by folks who are more interested in causing speculation about players they want poached from here rather than actually getting the story right.

* * *​
I'd be surprised if Ullmark gets 10th overall goalies don't get top 10 picks.
Except when they're Cory Schneider. ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

• Great Britain vs Finland
    Great Britain vs Finland
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $400.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Kazakhstan vs Slovakia
    Kazakhstan vs Slovakia
    Event closes