Value of: High end package from New Jersey

dugg133

Jan 11, 2023
Allegedly calgary wanted Holtz+1st for an unretained markstrom

Nashville wanted 1st+Mercer+Holtz for Saros.

Both of these prices would have been ridiculous overpays and set the franchise back significantly.

Again, for comparison, the most a goalie has recieved in the last decade was 9th overall for Schneider.

Schneider was 26, cost controlled (18th highest salary), and over the previous 3 years ranked 1st in Save%, 1st in GAA, and 2nd in GSAx/60 (4th in overall GSAx).
IMO the only goalie that can realistically get that 2024 1st from NJ is Swayman cause of how young he is. But I don't think the bruins are going to be willing to do that.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
IMO the only goalie that can realistically get that 2024 1st from NJ is Swayman cause of how young he is. But I don't think the bruins are going to be willing to do that.
I'd go Holtz+2024 1st+sweetener (will go up or down depending on exactly where our pick is) for Swayman if negotiations don't go well there. Historically massive package for a goalie.

I expect him to be resigned tho

I think Pettersson would be of interest, if available. Marino needs his buddy back.
Pettersson would be a perfect fit imo (I've been talking about him as a target since like november)

Reactions: Bone Density

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I think Pettersson would be of interest, if available. Marino needs his buddy back.
He would not be cheap. I believe the packages of Bahl+1st+3rd were toss around previously.

It might depend honestly on how the Penguins finish this year. If they get a top 10 pick and keep it, they will want to compete next year so as not to hand SJS a high 1st. They would need to keep Pettersson if that is the case. If they transfer an 11ov+ pick to the SJS and they have their 25 1st, I could see them selling off major assets to gain prospects and draft capital to retool. So if they are keeping their first this year, I imagine any package for Pettersson is going to involve a young, impact player. Which to be fair, is fair because Pettersson is a top pairing impact dman. On paper, the NJD and Pens make good trading partners. What you guys need are pieces we might be willing to move if we are retooling and you have the good young pieces we would want.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
He would not be cheap. I believe the packages of Bahl+1st+3rd were toss around previously.

It might depend honestly on how the Penguins finish this year. If they get a top 10 pick and keep it, they will want to compete next year so as not to hand SJS a high 1st. They would need to keep Pettersson if that is the case. If they transfer an 11ov+ pick to the SJS and they have their 25 1st, I could see them selling off major assets to gain prospects and draft capital to retool. So if they are keeping their first this year, I imagine any package for Pettersson is going to involve a young, impact player. Which to be fair, is fair because Pettersson is a top pairing impact dman. On paper, the NJD and Pens make good trading partners. What you guys need are pieces we might be willing to move if we are retooling and you have the good young pieces we would want.
From pitt here are pieces of interest imo:

Eller, Acciari as potential 4Cs (eller of much higher interest)

Pettersson as a 2LD/1PK and partner to Marino

Graves if he came as either a cap dump or with retention to make him more palatable

Jarry as a goalie

Reilly Smith as a cheaper 1 year winger rental

protected 2025 1st+Bahl+3rd I think I'd offer for a 50% retained Pettersson.

I think that's at the very top of what you could reasonably expect for a rental (comparable to hanifin deal)

dugg133

Jan 11, 2023
I'd go Holtz+2024 1st+sweetener (will go up or down depending on exactly where our pick is) for Swayman if negotiations don't go well there. Historically massive package for a goalie.
I think the Bruins have to consider it at the very least. They have a pretty limited window of McAvoy and Pasta both being in the heart of their primes while marchand is also still an effective top 6 player. Gotta make some bold moves to try and fill that hole at top line center to capitalize on that window.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
I think the Bruins have to consider it at the very least. They have a pretty limited window of McAvoy and Pasta both being in the heart of their primes while marchand is also still an effective top 6 player. Gotta make some bold moves to try and fill that hole at top line center to capitalize on that window.
Mercer would also be on the table for Swayman imo (and he wouldn't be for any other goalie)

The + in that case would be much smaller but there's your potential top flight C

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004

I expect him to be resigned tho

Pettersson would be a perfect fit imo (I've been talking about him as a target since like november)
Imo, even with swayman's youth its not a good idea to give up that much (and have to give him $$) for a goalie.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Imo, even with swayman's youth its not a good idea to give up that much (and have to give him $$) for a goalie.
Maybe I've been tricked by the ridiculous proposals put out by other fanbases.

If i'm gonna overpay, might as well overpay for the stud 25 year old who should be good for the next 8 years

New Jersey Devil

Sep 30, 2013
New Jersey
Aside from being over worked in like 4 games, Daws has a .918SV% this year...including .950SV% since Lindy was fired for overusing him.
No, he was fired because the Devils were playing terrible hockey.
They did grab it and then Lindy then began to over play them and got himself fired for his goalie management.
What do you mean by "goalie management"? Vanacek was injured, and he had Daws & Schmid as their goalies. What else could he have done?

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024

What do you mean by "goalie management"? Vanacek was injured, and he had Daws & Schmid as their goalies. What else could he have done?
Vanacek calling in sick on the 2nd night of back to backs was brutal. Twice

It's what did it for Schmid, that SJS game where he had to start the back to back after making 40 saves the night before vs philly

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010

1. Leading into the stadium series Lindy was already overplaying Daws. After that big win, Lindy should have played Schmid.

2. Right before Lindy was fired, he was being grilled for Daws playing all the games. It was easy to spot start Schmid in there again.

It's not like Daws needed a bunch of games off, but he did need a rest a game here and there.

Reactions: Smitty426

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Maybe I've been tricked by the ridiculous proposals put out by other fanbases.

If i'm gonna overpay, might as well overpay for the stud 25 year old who should be good for the next 8 years
Is Swayman really that much better than grubauer when he was a backup in Washington? Numbers were very similar. Avs paid i think a second round pick for him.

SPV

Zoinks!
Sponsor
Feb 4, 2003
New Hampshire
hfboards.com
I’m probably one of the few Bruins fans that would be okay with moving Swayman and keeping Linus. I think Ullmark has pretty low mileage for a 30 year old and could potentially be good for another 4-5 years, especially behind a solid defense.

I think the offer of Holtz, Bahl, one of Schmid or Daws, and the 1st is pretty close and gives Boston chunks of cash to spend next year with very few spots to fill, and a roster that is pretty young except for Marchand.

dirtydanglez

Oct 30, 2022
Is Swayman really that much better than grubauer when he was a backup in Washington? Numbers were very similar. Avs paid i think a second round pick for him.
the avs paid a 1st, 3rd, timmins for a year of kuemper. they also traded a 1st (11th overall) and a 2nd for varly.

definitely a sellers market for goaltending right now.

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey

They did overpay Daws. It was out of neccesity, so he didnt get fired because of it, but it was a factor once they ran the wheels off the kid!

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
I’m probably one of the few Bruins fans that would be okay with moving Swayman and keeping Linus. I think Ullmark has pretty low mileage for a 30 year old and could potentially be good for another 4-5 years, especially behind a solid defense.

I think the offer of Holtz, Bahl, one of Schmid or Daws, and the 1st is pretty close and gives Boston chunks of cash to spend next year with very few spots to fill, and a roster that is pretty young except for Marchand.
Holtz+2024 1st+sweetener became an added Bahl and a sub 23 yr old G, no thanks.

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
The OP says Holtz, Siegenthaler, Filmon, and a first for a goalie. So, Bahl for Siegenthaler and a goalie instead of Filmon makes sense. Not sure where you got your trade.
Then you saw the reply from another fan who actual understands teh value of players not s#!t against a wall-
"This package would be by far the largest package for a goalie in the salary cap era."
If its this years 1st at 10 OA or better there is not much add at all (maybe just keep the damn pick honestly and shop for Linus), sure want to make it a pkg by adding Bahl or similar for Sway and a small pc whatever.

Reactions: SPV

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
The OP says Holtz, Siegenthaler, Filmon, and a first for a goalie. So, Bahl for Siegenthaler and a goalie instead of Filmon makes sense. Not sure where you got your trade.

The only goalies I would trade Holtz, 2024 1st round pick, Siegenthaler, and Filmon for are Swayman, Sorokin, Shesterkin, or Vasilevsky.

The OP was moreso meant to be a combination of those pieces. Not all of them

• Haha
Reactions: TS Quint and SPV

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille