HF praises Chayka and sucks... Hate McPhee but he's killing it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
McPhee got the better coach.

I remain adamant that he did rather poorly in the expansion draft.

It has worked out but not because of what he did terms of the roster but rather because of his other personnel decisions.

Chayka is laughable so far but they might be looking at full (re)build so a bit early to say if that is the case.

Tim Murray is another great example of how most posters are entirely clueless.

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
Hopefully this post doesn't come off as ignorant, but I think there's a little truth to it:

What's Vegas' record at home? I was listening to Spittin' Chiclets today (Barstool hockey podcast w/ Ryan Whitney) and Whit was saying that a few teams have had an extra night in Vegas the night before the game... That plays a part in this, early game in the beginning of the season and a new team in Vegas, you do the math. The players from other teams are underestimating Vegas and taking advantage of the city. I don't think this is sustainable, but if it is I'll eat crow.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Are either of these teams expected to be playoff contenders? Have either of these teams finished building their roster?

If not, why is it a big deal which of them were short term success in a single season? Isn't that completely missing the point?

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Hopefully this post doesn't come off as ignorant, but I think there's a little truth to it:

What's Vegas' record at home? I was listening to Spittin' Chiclets today (Barstool hockey podcast w/ Ryan Whitney) and Whit was saying that a few teams have had an extra night in Vegas the night before the game... That plays a part in this, early game in the beginning of the season and a new team in Vegas, you do the math. The players from other teams are underestimating Vegas and taking advantage of the city. I don't think this is sustainable, but if it is I'll eat crow.
Adding on to what you said but with a different take, how much of Vegas great start is them being on a 7 game home stand? Yes I know their first 2 games were on the road, however their 2nd road game was in Arizona and we all know how bad their season is going.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
lol mcphee

no doubt vegas is doing extremely well but.. that roster could easily have been better

Skipee

Mar 27, 2010
Coming from a Leafs fan that's a hilarious comment. Your team has been horrible for 20 years and in a permanent tank mode. I guess that means you have a lot of knowledge on the Coyotes situation.

Party Kane

Nov 7, 2013
Chicago
McPhee is a terrible GM, probably the worst in the league along with Bergevin and Chiarelli.
Gallant is making the most of that roster. Vegas will end up being a bottom 5-10 team at the end of the season anyways

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
Chayka team needs to start to show improvement, and so far it hasn't. While rebuilds do take time, this one seems to not be going anywhere , especially with the moves he made over the summer. They look worse than last year. His job will be on the line if they don't start winning.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
HF likes Chayka because he makes roster moves and trades that the trade board loves.

He is like someone playing Football Manager 2017, but forgot these guys actually need to be able together and need a coach to put it together.

That said I’m not throwing a parade for McPhee either. I don’t believe at all he has made the best moves he could with this roster, and some of their success is more inspite of him.

I give Galliebt way more credit for Vegas’ early success.

Reactions: Weast

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Chayka is loved because he is a young stat jock and last name shares the first letter of Corsi, the biggest littlest stat that is all the rage these days.

I keep reading this about Chayka, and yet his team's analytics blow.

He brings in Schenn, Hjalmarsson, Stepan, Connauton, and Cousins who are all mediocre stats guys.

I don't see it. Being young and signing Adam Clendening makes you a corsi fiend?

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Are either of these teams expected to be playoff contenders? Have either of these teams finished building their roster?

If not, why is it a big deal which of them were short term success in a single season? Isn't that completely missing the point?

I think its pretty clear that Arizona had playoff intentions. You dont acquire Stepan, Hjalmarsson, Raanta, Demers etc to attempt to be a middle of the pack team

CartographerNo611

Oct 11, 2014
I keep reading this about Chayka, and yet his team's analytics blow.

He brings in Schenn, Hjalmarsson, Stepan, Connauton, and Cousins who are all mediocre stats guys.

I don't see it. Being young and signing Adam Clendening makes you a corsi fiend?

He came from an analytics company... Stathletes Inc. When all you need to be assistant GM/GM is a calculator, knowledge on almonds, and spend all your time learning how to be a good interview... Well you get the current Yotes.

Corsi is just a really unnecessarily complicated way to provide evidence your team is playing well/bad as a unit and winning. Hjalmarsson had a career 53% corsi on a good Hawks team, and was consider a solid D-man. On the Yotes he plummets to 42% with Yotes. Useless stat is useless.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
He came from an analytics company... Stathletes Inc. When all you need to be assistant GM/GM is a calculator, knowledge on almonds, and spend all your time learning how to be a good interview... Well you get the current Yotes.

Corsi is just a really unnecessarily complicated way to provide evidence your team is playing well/bad as a unit and winning. Hjalmarsson had a career 53% corsi on a good Hawks team, and was consider a solid D-man. On the Yotes he plummets to 42% with Yotes. Useless stat is useless.

It's not useless. It's just one part of the puzzle. There are more stats than corsi.

None of the analytics people I know think Hjalmarsson is particularly great. To blame Chayka's lack of success on only looking at a calculator is unfounded.

And saying the numbers are useless is just as silly as only looking at a calculator.

Everyone is always quick to jump on the failure of so called "analytics teams" like the Panthers and Coyotes, yet remain silent on Pittsburgh hiring a "nerd" right around the time they hired Sullivan, going on to win two Cups, or the success of Sutter's corsi-centric system in LA.

The truth is, nobody is an "analytics team." Every team uses them and no team uses them exclusively.

Reactions: JoeThorntonsRooster

CartographerNo611

Oct 11, 2014
It's not useless. It's just one part of the puzzle. There are more stats than corsi.

None of the analytics people I know think Hjalmarsson is particularly great. To blame Chayka's lack of success on only looking at a calculator is unfounded.

And saying the numbers are useless is just as silly as only looking at a calculator.

Everyone is always quick to jump on the failure of so called "analytics teams" like the Panthers and Coyotes, yet remain silent on Pittsburgh hiring a "nerd" right around the time they hired Sullivan, going on to win two Cups, or the success of Sutter's corsi-centric system in LA.

The truth is, nobody is an "analytics team." Every team uses them and no team uses them exclusively.

Well what else do I blame Chaya, he was brought in because he was a new wave analytics number jock. He has fallen flat on his face. Do I blame his non existent hockey IQ? I thought analytics trumped that?

They have Crosby, Malkin, and Letang. Even Blysma won a cup with them. Horrid example mate. They won a cup on team defense, their forwards back checked like crazy because Ruthford still doesnt know how to put together a good D. He was atrocious with Carolina especially when he attempted using numbers.

Your seriously going to use Sutter as an example. One of the more old school grind it out and play D coaches.

Do you even hockey? Or do you looks at numbers and player NHL Fail18 and pretend you hockey?

When Chayka was hired everyone on here thought the Yotes were a numbers team. Who are you trying to kid lol. Now that he failed worse than Maloney the Yotes are not a numbers team. Talk about cherry picking.

Last edited:

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Well what else do I blame Chaya, he was brought in because he was a new wave analytics number jock. He has fallen flat on his face. Do I blame his non existent hockey IQ? I thought analytics trumped that?

They have Crosby, Malkin, and Letang. Even Blysma won a cup with them. Horrid example mate. They won a cup on team defense, their forwards back checked like crazy because Ruthford still doesnt know how to put together a good D. He was atrocious with Carolina especially when he attempted using numbers.

Your seriously going to use Sutter as an example. One of the more old school grind it out and play D coaches.

Do you even hockey? Or do you looks at numbers and player NHL Fail18 and pretend you hockey?

When Chayka was hired everyone on here thought the Yotes were a numbers team. Who are you trying to kid lol. Now that he failed worse than Maloney the Yotes are not a numbers team. Talk about cherry picking.

Blame analytics for the Yotes losing when they're an abysmal analytics team. Talk about cherry picking.

Reactions: Vali Maki Sushi
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad