HF praises Chayka and sucks... Hate McPhee but he's killing it

Status
Not open for further replies.

marioni

Apr 3, 2011
From what I saw: Yotes arent looking too good. Vegas competes every game, gotta give credit where it's due. Fleury played out of his mind and even Malcolm Subban stole the last game in which Golden Knights were completely dominated by Blues. VGK results are better than their play.

This thread is indeed too early.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
Just saying... so much for all the experts.

I'm a huge fan of what McPhee did... holding on to depth is looking pretty smart... injuries hit and did not miss a beat.

Waive Hunt they said hahaha
I have said since the expansion draft that i think he did a great job. Got some great young players, prospects and tons of future picks. He also got a decent product on the ice.

I did never expect them to win as much as they have done so far but i got into some discussions with people on here because i said i think he has done well and all they complained about was why he didnt take Vatanen or Dumba or whatever...
They couldnt understand that GMGM wanted to get a decent product on the ice but his main goal was to get picks and prospects so he could start building from the draft going forward. Only smart thing to do when you come into the league as an expansion team. With that said, i dont think the team they have right now is very good, highly doubt they will make the playoffs.

Yotes are still a very young team with alot of young forwards. They need time, but Keller has looked fantastic, Stepan was a solid trade and they arent far away from beeing a playoff team imo. Another year or two and if Keller etc keeps developing they can be good.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North

I'm a huge fan of what McPhee did... holding on to depth is looking pretty smart... injuries hit and did not miss a beat.

Good point. So good to praise a GM from a few trades and his team STILL can't get it together. Criticize the team that failed an expansion draft based off HFBoards standards and they are the ones winning. Makes you wonder if HFBoards is legit anymore.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Good point. So good to praise a GM from a few trades and his team STILL can't get it together. Criticize the team that failed an expansion draft based off HFBoards standards and they are the ones winning. Makes you wonder if HFBoards is legit anymore.
Lol, the irony is that this is a classic HFBoards post, making judgments like these less than 10 games into a season.

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
People on HF blindly praise Chayka because they all think he's this 27 year old genius prodigy. Same reason Leaf fans fell in love with Kyle Dubas when we hired him at age 26. It's impressive to get big time jobs in the NHL at their ages, but they really have not done anything impressive at all so far, especially Chayka.

Reactions: bigd and marioni

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Meh I'd still rather have Chayka than GMGM based on the moves they've made. I do however think that Chayka isn't as good as people assume and GMGM isn't as bad as people say.

One of the issues with Chayka.....is that he has a supposed analytics background but his work was never public so we have no idea exactly what his analytics background is. The analytics guys on twitter, they're all mostly doing something useful or another but you can clearly point to some of them and say they're idiots with idiotic opinions and poor interpretations while others are respectable and I have no idea which camp Chayka would fall into because we just don't know him.

How can you make an evaluation of Chayka based on anything more than his actual moves then?

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
People on HF blindly praise Chayka because they all think he's this 27 year old genius prodigy. Same reason Leaf fans fell in love with Kyle Dubas when we hired him at age 26. It's impressive to get big time jobs in the NHL at their ages, but they really have not done anything impressive at all so far, especially Chayka.
I will be impressed if he's still the GM after the season.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
I'd take Chayka just because he's an unknown. We already know how bad GMGM is. That Erat for Forsberg trade may have cost the Caps a cup win in 2016 or 17.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Loved McPhee's first draft for Vegas. Really liked what he did there. How he handled the expansion draft was... interesting, but he set them up with some picks.

I liked what Chayka has done up until this last off-season. Don't really understand or like those trades too much. But maybe management told him they have to be in the running this year? But the draft picks of Keller, Chychrun, Dineen, Joseph, Westerlund look pretty good to me.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
I think some people weren’t impressed with his tactics... It’s hard for me to pass judgement because he didn’t break any rules, the league let him bend other managers over. He did what he could to get the best players.

I’ve always thought McPhee was alright.

Even when on what should have been a contending team he was running a blueline including Jeff Schultz, Tom Poti, Shaone Morrison & Bryan Pothier? How about when he gave away Filip Forsberg in an absolutely brutal desperation move?

I think McPhee took too much heat on HF for his expansion choices, but he's a questionable GM IMO.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Even when on what should have been a contending team he was running a blueline including Jeff Schultz, Tom Poti, Shaone Morrison & Bryan Pothier? How about when he gave away Filip Forsberg in an absolutely brutal desperation move?

I think McPhee took too much heat on HF for his expansion choices, but he's a questionable GM IMO.
Yeah, I can’t argue with any of that. The Forsberg for Erat deal in particular was just bad... He made a bad call and that’s what lowers his rating from my perspective.

I say he’s alright because I can at least respect a man who tried to be aggressive and made some tough decisions that he believed would help put his team over the top. It didn’t work and hindsight is 20/20, but he tried to load up on a team that was on the cusp of winning and sacrificing futures was a way to do it.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Chayka cant be judged on team performance until they are done rebuilding. I think this should be the last year of the rebuild and the team will need to start showing results next season.

Didnt like the Tocchet hire though.

Brilliant excuse.

Bad team?

"Were rebuilding, dont judge us".

Doesnt matter how long the rebuild has been happening

Last edited:

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

This is actually the best idea for a thread I have read in a while. I will admit I didnt like what Mcphee did but hell its working so far. I thought they should have targeted different players but he looks like a genious so far. I really am suprised at how well that D core is playing. I liked what he did with the forwards for the most part but to me the D core is massively overachieving. I think it speaks to how great a coach Gerard Gallant is. Mcphee also got a ton of picks and prospects out of it, optically its a shockingly fantastic job he has done thus far.

I never fully understood why everyone liked Chyaka so much, with the Florida debacle its fairly obvious you cant just go on advanced stats alone. Personel, physicality and cohesion in the room are all very important in hockey, its not baseball. The best teams in hockey work as a cohesive unit that is better than the sum of its parts. Trust in the room and on the ice is huge, you wont have that with teams that are built with no toughness, gritt and character.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
I assume if someone said Dorsett was a prodigious goal scorer now, you'd say that's correct and anyone arguing it would make you wonder if HF is "legit anymore"?

Sample size matters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad