Injury Report: Henrik Lundqvist - Vascular Injury, Out At Least Three Weeks

Status
Not open for further replies.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
He was talking about his masks, unless it was a bit of a slip of the tongue by him and he was saying both the masks would arrive in NY in a week and he'd return.

Good catch, I misinterpreted it while watching it live. However, the masks are all here because at the end of every episode (this part was all shot at once) when he takes the mask out of the box and puts it on, he's at the MSG training facility in Tarrytown.

Sounds like it could have been a slip of the tongue in knowing he'll be back playing (and wearing) the masks in about a week from now.

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
Good catch, I misinterpreted it while watching it live. However, the masks are all here because at the end of every episode (this part was all shot at once) when he takes the mask out of the box and puts it on, he's at the MSG training facility in Tarrytown.

Sounds like it could have been a slip of the tongue in knowing he'll be back playing (and wearing) the masks in about a week from now.

Nah...he said "hopefully".

GOAT AINEC

Soon..
Jun 4, 2014
I don't think the team will let him back on the ice unless he's 100% safe and ready to play. I don't think this is a case where it's as easy to fake your way back into the lineup and with the possibility of blood clots as a complication, I have to imagine he's smart enough not to push things

No, we are going all in this season. Without Hank, this great season will have been all for nothing.

I am sure that when he comes back it's because he is 100%. This isn't just a broken hand or something.. He isn't going to risk his life to come back early.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
Once again, he never said that. the quote is "When they (the masks) come back in a week or so, I'm going to hopefully starting wearing them, when I come back to playing"

Which makes zero sense since all the masks are already here. I think it was a slip of the tongue. He knows he's not supposed to say anything until the Dr's give the official clearance, but he knows he's close.

Either way, he's in the 4th week since the diagnosis, and the original diagnosis was 4-6 weeks. He should be back very soon.

Khelvan

Apr 5, 2002
Oakland, CA
Andrew Gross just posted this.
"For one, the injury is not where he was hit in the throat by a shot. Rather, it’s in the back of the neck because of his head snapping back when Ryan McDonagh’s stick lifted up his mask on Jan. 31.

Lundqvist last played on Feb. 2 and has now missed 15 games. There is no timetable for Lundqvist’s return and Lundqvist was not asked to provide one by the co-hosts.

“I feel good,” Lundqvist reported. “It’s hard to know, though, how a blood vessel heals. I just have to trust the doctors here. We constantly do check-ups. I’m skating on the ice. I try to stay in shape and as soon as they clear me for contact I want to be ready to play. But it’s tough. I’ve been out a month.”

As for exactly how the injury occurred, Lundqvist said, ““A stick came up and lifted my helmet. At the same time I got hit by the puck on my neck. In that moment, I snapped my neck so hard that I sprained – they call it sprained – a blood vessel in my neck.”

As he said that, Lundqvist pointed toward the back of his neck."

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
I think he meant that he was getting the masks back from Sweden in a week or so.

I explained above why that makes no sense. At the end of every episode of the mask, he tries on the helmet and walks out toward the ice at the MSG training center here in Tarrytown, NY

Over the past three episodes, you can tell that they shot all of these mask sequences at one time. So he had all the masks delivered before they shot this scene.

Weird...

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
when on the clip does he say back in a week?

I believe it was misinterpreted, it sounded like he said when the masks get here in a week or so then hopefully he can wear them when he comes back.

I believe the week was referring to when the masks will get delivered, I guess they're all in sweden with the artist still.

I explained above why that makes no sense. At the end of every episode of the mask, he tries on the helmet and walks out toward the ice at the MSG training center here in Tarrytown, NY

Over the past three episodes, you can tell that they shot all of these mask sequences at one time. So he had all the masks delivered before they shot this scene.

Weird...

Hmm, I haven't seen the episdoes yet, they're on the DVR. It does sound like he meant the masks being delivered though, but that makes no sense if he already has them and wore them in the episodes.

Nevesis btw, are you on Long Island? I filled in in net for a buddy's team the other night and the goalie on the other team had the sickest set up, he had a full Mike Richter set. Bauer reactor pads, gloves, blocker, Rangers hockey pants and even a statue of liberty helmet. Wondering if you've seen him around.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
Hmm, I haven't seen the episdoes yet, they're on the DVR. It does sound like he meant the masks being delivered though, but that makes no sense if he already has them and wore them in the episodes.

Yeah, check out the ends of the episodes, he's in the locker room at the MSG training center, and he acts out opening the box from daveart, reads a letter from him and then observes the mask. After that, he's in full equipment, has the mask on and walks out of the locker room. You can tell (at least in the first three episodes) that all of them were shot at once, which means the masks are all here.

Either way, he should be back in a week or two at the most. It won't be long now. :yo:

Nevesis btw, are you on Long Island? I filled in in net for a buddy's team the other night and the goalie on the other team had the sickest set up, he had a full Mike Richter set. Bauer reactor pads, gloves, blocker, Rangers hockey pants and even a statue of liberty helmet. Wondering if you've seen him around.

Close by, I live in Westchester county, right above the city. Funny you mention that Richter kid, I did a goalie clinic last year around this time at Iceworks (where the Islanders practice) with two guys who had full Richter setups. You can see them in the front row, next to each other. Either of them look familiar? :laugh:

cwvDm9asA_Lw9YsGTQNy8vW7Zxw

Action shot:

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Yeah, check out the ends of the episodes, he's in the locker room at the MSG training center, and he acts out opening the box from daveart, reads a letter from him and then observes the mask. After that, he's in full equipment, has the mask on and walks out of the locker room. You can tell (at least in the first three episodes) that all of them were shot at once, which means the masks are all here.

Either way, he should be back in a week or two at the most. It won't be long now. :yo:

Close by, I live in Westchester county, right above the city. Funny you mention that Richter kid, I did a goalie clinic last year around this time at Iceworks (where the Islanders practice) with two guys who had full Richter setups. You can see them in the front row, next to each other. Either of them look familiar? :laugh:

Action shot:

Hmm no I don't think so. This guy was literally wearing Reactor pads, his setup was identical to this:
hi-res-1464767_crop_exact.jpg

This exact gear! Pads were a bit bigger and looked brand new which was weird. They looked sick nonetheless.

Damn, that means there's at least 3 people out there wearing Richter gear! I need to step my game up lol. I'm wearing Vapor XXX full set, which I wore in juniors before I went to college, so they're from 07-08. My college team us goalies got free gear, but were not allowed to keep pads, gloves or blockers. They had some sort of rebate thing set up with the suppliers, which is a joke, I beat the hell out of that gear, not sure what use Bauer is going to get out of it.

Fugazy

Brick by Brick
Jun 1, 2014
New York
Was just thinking about how Lundqvist's injury is somewhat fortuitous (obviously disregarding its effect on his health). Assuming he does come back, with enough time to round back into shape, how great is it that the Rangers best player comes in as the freshest at the start of the postseason. Guys like Holtby and Price are going to around 65 games at the start of the postseason. Halek is having close to his longest season as a professional right now. Given that it's not a mobility injury but a general health one, I think really could be a break for the Rangers.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
Was just thinking about how Lundqvist's injury is somewhat fortuitous (obviously disregarding its effect on his health). Assuming he does come back, with enough time to round back into shape, how great is it that the Rangers best player comes in as the freshest at the start of the postseason. Guys like Holtby and Price are going to around 65 games at the start of the postseason. Halek is having close to his longest season as a professional right now. Given that it's not a mobility injury but a general health one, I think really could be a break for the Rangers.

It's a HUGE advantage.

If they were to go as deep as last year, the time he's had to rest right now will pay dividends later when he has that extra physical/mental energy.

After the Kings series he mentioned that he had nothing left to give. The entire Kings team said the same thing. If it went anymore games, they didn't think they would be able to perform at the level they needed to win. A long season + long playoffs can do that to players/teams.

That all being said, if we were to get as far, or go all the way i would say that this injury was, in hindsight, a blessing in disguise.

I pray to the hockey gods that we do go all the way. :bow: :stanley:

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
It's only a blessing in disguise if he comes back healthy and ready to play 100% and get back into things quickly

bl02

Jan 13, 2014

Hope you're right. One would think that's the case albeit still feel he needs at least 5-8 games before the playoffs start to possibly get back in rhythm especially with probably no easy rounds at all these upcoming playoffs

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006

This is sugar coating to me. Trying to find a silver lining.

Lets just make sure he gets back and is in top form first.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
The more I think about it the more I agree with this. What happens when Lundqvist comes back and is in his October form? It won't matter if he is rested or not if we don't make it out of the first round.

Something that many people forget is how absolutely horrid the team defense was in front of him in October.

Kostka, Hunwick, Allen, McIlrath!

Many got on him personally, but he wasn't playing nearly as bad as most people think. The team was giving up tons of high percentage scoring chances, odd man rushes, breakaways all over the ice. Once the defense got back to strength and the team started playing better, his statistics improved overall.

The defense now is possibly the best in the league. Not to mention the rest of the team in front of him is firing on all cylinders. Him coming back should only make them that much better of a team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad