Injury Report: Henrik Lundqvist - Vascular Injury, Out At Least Three Weeks

Status
Not open for further replies.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
I hear what you're saying but lets not forget the playoffs are gonna be an entirely different animal. I'm not questioning hanks ability to rise to high pressure situations just saying it would be nice to get him some real game time for 5-10 games before playoffs start. No room for error especially if we have to play a Boston, Washington or even islanders in first round

I definitely want him to get in a few games before playoffs. I am fairly certain that is the plan and rough timeline for him.

We should know very soon.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
I definitely want him to get in a few games before playoffs. I am fairly certain that is the plan and rough timeline for him.

We should know very soon.

I am fairly certain the plan, right now, is to hope the doctors clear him sooner rather than later.

trueblue35

May 22, 2008
He's also extremely exhausted at the end of the year and running ono fumes in the playoffs. He won't be off his game. I don't know what perpetuates such non-sense when it comes to a professional athlete who has been playing this game at the highest level for the past 15 years.

He's been working on the ice for the past 3 weeks now, all he has to do is face shots in practice and get some scrimmages under his belt, and he will be ready for actual games.

This is what he does, and what he has always done. Coming back from the offseason is completely different. You haven't sniffed ice, or seen pucks in two months. Couldn't be more different from what is going on right now.

First off doesn't he run camps in the summer along with practicing back in Sweden? Maybe he takes a few weeks off but I highly doubt Hank or any NHL goalie takes 2 full months off before gearing up for preseason.

Secondly his practices are probably 1/3 of the intensity of a normal practice or game due to the injury. coupled with the fact that taking shot from Allaire is much different from taking shots from a typical player. It also doesn't help that he is practicing with improper technique as seen in the Twitter video.

you are talking about a goalie who easily gets thrown off his game if he doesn't know what time a game is, and that is during the season. He himself has already admitted that.Do you really think that goalie who has been off his entire game routine for weeks doing tv shows etc is somehow going to come back and play at an extremely high level?

Last edited:

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
Ive said all along i epxect hank back palm sunday....march 29th vs capitals. That would be 8 weeks out. Thats still my goal, and would give him 7-8 games to get back into the swing of things. Fully confident he will be in shape, the fact he will be more rested than hes ever been in for the playoffs seems like a benefit to me.
This reminds me of the timeline in 1979 when JD was back from injury. He looked like crap and couldn't stop a beach ball for the last couple of weeks or however long it was that he played right at the end of that season. The rest is history. :)

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
This reminds me of the timeline in 1979 when JD was back from injury. He looked like crap and couldn't stop a beach ball for the last couple of weeks or however long it was that he played right at the end of that season. The rest is history. :)

Well yes, aside from the fact that JD became a TV announcer, now in management and Hank is a 1st ballot Hall of Fame goaltender who's won one Vezina and has been nominated a handfull of other times, has won a Gold medal, has set and is currently setting NYR records and will certainly have his number 30 hanging in the rafters of MSG as soon as he retires as the best goalie to ever lace 'em up for The Rangers.

Other than that, the similarities are staggering. :sarcasm:

(Yes I know JD was a good goalie in his playing days but seriously?)

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Well yes, aside from the fact that JD became a TV announcer, now in management and Hank is a 1st ballot Hall of Fame goaltender who's won one Vezina and has been nominated a handfull of other times, has won a Gold medal, has set and is currently setting NYR records and will certainly have his number 30 hanging in the rafters of MSG as soon as he retires as the best goalie to ever lace 'em up for The Rangers.

Other than that, the similarities are staggering. :sarcasm:

(Yes I know JD was a good goalie in his playing days but seriously?)

He was talking about JD bring well rested and taking the team to the SCF that year. You missed his point.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
First off doesn't he run camps in the summer along with practicing back in Sweden? Maybe he takes a few weeks off but I highly doubt Hank or any NHL goalie takes 2 full months off before gearing up for preseason.

He runs camps in Sweden and here in NY during the summer. Both of which he isn't in any goalie gear, just skating with a glove/blocker and stick.

He takes a full month and a half off (depends on how deep they go in the playoffs), he then does a few workouts in Sweden, and then flies back here at the end of August where he spends most every other day at the MSG training center working with the guys.

Secondly his practices are probably 1/3 of the intensity of a normal practice or game due to the injury. coupled with the fact that taking shot from Allaire is much different from taking shots from a typical player. It also doesn't help that he is practicing with improper technique as seen in the Twitter video.

He's able to skate and do high-cardio drills, he just can't face 'contact' which means any pucks that aren't shot at ice level. He went from Allaire shooting mylec street hockey balls, then moving up to pucks that don't get any higher than a few inches. These drills keep you in shape. Not to mention off-ice exercise, bike, etc.

Improper technique as seen in a twitter video? I have no idea what you're talking about. I have seen a few clips on MSG of him practicing with Allaire at the MSG training center, doing butterfly pendulum drills, etc and saw nothing that would speak of improper technique.

You are talking about a goalie who easily gets thrown off his game if he doesn't know what time a game is, and that is during the season. He himself has already admitted that.Do you really think that goalie who has been off his entire game routine for weeks doing tv shows etc is somehow going to come back and play at an extremely high level?

Are you referring to the Stadium Series/Winter Classic games where they weren't exactly sure of the game time because of the sunlight affecting the ice?

If so, this is ridiculous because any athlete has their timing thrown off if they don't know exactly when game time will be. The same thing happens to starting pitchers in baseball when a rain delay happens. 99.9% of the time he knows when game times are going to be. Can't even believe you bring up such a ridiculous point.

Yes, I do believe once he's cleared for contact, and gets a few practices in, and a couple games under his belt he will be able to play at an extremely high level because thats the level he's played at for the past 15 years.

Matt4776

May 8, 2009
He runs camps in Sweden and here in NY during the summer. Both of which he isn't in any goalie gear, just skating with a glove/blocker and stick.

He takes a full month and a half off (depends on how deep they go in the playoffs), he then does a few workouts in Sweden, and then flies back here at the end of August where he spends most every other day at the MSG training center working with the guys.

He's able to skate and do high-cardio drills, he just can't face 'contact' which means any pucks that aren't shot at ice level. He went from Allaire shooting mylec street hockey balls, then moving up to pucks that don't get any higher than a few inches. These drills keep you in shape. Not to mention off-ice exercise, bike, etc.

Improper technique as seen in a twitter video? I have no idea what you're talking about. I have seen a few clips on MSG of him practicing with Allaire at the MSG training center, doing butterfly pendulum drills, etc and saw nothing that would speak of improper technique.

Are you referring to the Stadium Series/Winter Classic games where they weren't exactly sure of the game time because of the sunlight affecting the ice?

If so, this is ridiculous because any athlete has their timing thrown off if they don't know exactly when game time will be. The same thing happens to starting pitchers in baseball when a rain delay happens. 99.9% of the time he knows when game times are going to be. Can't even believe you bring up such a ridiculous point.

Yes, I do believe once he's cleared for contact, and gets a few practices in, and a couple games under his belt he will be able to play at an extremely high level because thats the level he's played at for the past 15 years.

I normally give you some **** for your goalies can do no wrong attitude, but it's ridiculous that you even need to address these points. Especially the bolded.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
Right after the injury, I said Sather should get a goalie because Henrik may be out longer than expected, and the schedule leading into the postseason is grueling (8 in 12 coming up), which could burn out or injure Talbot.

Vigneault better start Skapski a lot more. He has to. I think it's a 50/50 chance Lundqvist will be ready for the playoffs. No game or job is worth a life-threatening injury. TBH I have no issues with Henrik sitting out even longer because the injury was more severe that I expected.

KingP

Mar 24, 2012
New york
Right after the injury, I said Sather should get a goalie because Henrik may be out longer than expected, and the schedule leading into the postseason is grueling (8 in 12 coming up), which could burn out or injure Talbot.

Vigneault better start Skapski a lot more. He has to. I think it's a 50/50 chance Lundqvist will be ready for the playoffs. No game or job is worth a life-threatening injury. TBH I have no issues with Henrik sitting out even longer because the injury was more severe that I expected.
Cam goes tonight ?

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
That Cam is starting tonight may be a sign that Hank is very close to coming back. Or that we are playing a team whose initials are BS right after. Buffalo has no intention of winning a single game the rest of the year, so that's a good place for Skapski. But it's also possible that Hank is back this weekend.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Cam has been unreal for you guys while Hank has been out. However, Hank needs to come back asap so he can shake off any rust he has. You guys have a real good chance to win this year in my opinion and it is important for you guys to have the duo of Hank and Cam in prime form when playoffs start. Hurry up and get back Hank!!!

nyrleetch

Aug 2, 2009
New York
That Cam is starting tonight may be a sign that Hank is very close to coming back. Or that we are playing a team whose initials are BS right after. Buffalo has no intention of winning a single game the rest of the year, so that's a good place for Skapski. But it's also possible that Hank is back this weekend.

Can you elaborate? Couldn't we just be going with Cam because of how locked in he has been of late? Hoping Lundqvist is back soon.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014

If that's true Rangers made a horrible decision in trading for Yandle. 50/50 is not good enough to risk you best prospect and multiple picks for yandle. I think cam is great but lets be real we need a solid hank to go far in playoffs

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
If that's true Rangers made a horrible decision in trading for Yandle. 50/50 is not good enough to risk you best prospect and multiple picks for yandle. I think cam is great but lets be real we need a solid hank to go far in playoffs

Yeah, no way the team was told 50/50 on Hank. If they weren't led to believe 90% plus they don't make that trade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->