Lifting is progressing.... just got to 1 plate on Squats

@ 185Lbs:
Bench 185lb
Squat 137.5lb
Deadlift 190lb
Chin Up +12.5lbs
Barbell Row +122.5lbs
OHP 102.5lbs

Big 3, up to 512.5lbs total, half way home. My bench was actually pretty tough yesterday, I was shocked, I think I was lifting too cold, needed to warm up, more energy, it was end of day, I was beat. I am just ripping Barbell Row though. Chin Ups are still a PITA. OHP should be my first fail and deload, it's just really hard to lift >100lbs over your head lol.

Aestethics are starting to show, especially in back/chest/biceps.

~30-40 minutes 3 times a week, easy stuff!!!

Reactions: RayP

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Haven't gotten back to the gym consistently like I wanted to a couple weeks ago, but I have lost 10lbs in the last 4 weeks, so I'm going in the right direction. Only 5 more lbs to lose and I am back to where I was in college.

Reactions: Blue Liner and RayP

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago

@ 185Lbs:
Bench 185lb
Squat 137.5lb
Deadlift 190lb
Chin Up +12.5lbs
Barbell Row +122.5lbs
OHP 102.5lbs

Big 3, up to 512.5lbs total, half way home. My bench was actually pretty tough yesterday, I was shocked, I think I was lifting too cold, needed to warm up, more energy, it was end of day, I was beat. I am just ripping Barbell Row though. Chin Ups are still a PITA. OHP should be my first fail and deload, it's just really hard to lift >100lbs over your head lol.

What do you do, three sets of each or what's your program? Apologies if it's listed elsewhere already.

Easy E

Jun 9, 2015
What do you do, three sets of each or what's your program? Apologies if it's listed elsewhere already.

It's called Phrak's Greyskull LP Variant. It is based on "Starting Strength" just few tweaks. Most programs you find online and modifications of SS.

Workout A 3x5 (last set as many as possible = AMRAP) Bench, Row, Squats
Workout B 3x5(AMRAP) OHP, Chin Ups, 1x 5(AMRAP) Deadlift
Workout C 3x5(AMRAP) Bench, Row, Squats

Every workout if you suceed, you add 2.5LBs to everything but Deadlift, Deadlift you add 5LBs. If on your AMRAP set, you hit 10+, you double the increase to 5LB/10LB.

So on and so forth. you keep alternating Bench/Row and OHP/Chin Ups, however, you Squat twice a week and deadlift once. A lot of people want to target their Bi's/Tri's/Cardio so add in curls and pull downs and sprints/runs on off days or weekends or end of day even though all your muscles will get bigger with just the workout as it is.

If you never work out/have no muscle/never hit weights, you can do it. You can start with the bar on all of them if you want (45lbs) and slowly work your way up. Women too, however, it is tough, since men are just built for upper body exercises, not impossible though by anymeans. Some women out there can crush where I am at right now.

It starts out very easy, you think you are doing nothing, but you will quickly see the frequency and volume will get tougher and tougher to do. I am usually in a full sweat after I finish every day. You will build strength is you follow the program.

I am not affiliated with Phraks or anything lol, Reddit fitness recommends it.

Last edited:

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
It's called Phrak's Greyskull LP Variant. It is based on "Starting Strength" just few tweaks. Most programs you find online and modifications of SS.

Workout A 3x5 (last set as many as possible = AMRAP) Bench, Row, Squats
Workout B 3x5(AMRAP) OHP, Chin Ups, 1x 5(AMRAP) Deadlift
Workout C 3x5(AMRAP) Bench, Row, Squats

Every workout if you suceed, you add 2.5LBs to everything but Deadlift, Deadlift you add 5LBs. If on your AMRAP set, you hit 10+, you double the increase to 5LB/10LB.

So on and so forth. you keep alternating Bench/Row and OHP/Chin Ups, however, you Squat twice a week and deadlift once. A lot of people want to target their Bi's/Tri's/Cardio so add in curls and pull downs and sprints/runs on off days or weekends or end of day even though all your muscles will get bigger with just the workout as it is.

If you never work out/have no muscle/never hit weights, you can do it. You can start with the bar on all of them if you want (45lbs) and slowly work your way up. Women too, however, it is tough, since men are just built for upper body exercises, not impossible though by anymeans. Some women out there can crush where I am at right now.

It starts out very easy, you think you are doing nothing, but you will quickly see the frequency and volume will get tougher and tougher to do. I am usually in a full sweat after I finish every day. You will build strength is you follow the program.

I am not affiliated with Phraks or anything lol, Reddit fitness recommends it.

I did something similar for a while. I started from scratch (bar only) doing the 5 x 5 program. I actually liked it a lot and was noticing a difference once I had done it for a while, but that got derailed by life and I fell off the wagon. You are right in that you need to be patient early on, but eventually you start to notice things once the weight starts adding up. Anyway, thanks for sharing. Always like seeing what other people do and what works for them, what doesn't, etc.

Easy E

Jun 9, 2015
I did something similar for a while. I started from scratch (bar only) doing the 5 x 5 program. I actually liked it a lot and was noticing a difference once I had done it for a while, but that got derailed by life and I fell off the wagon. You are right in that you need to be patient early on, but eventually you start to notice things once the weight starts adding up. Anyway, thanks for sharing. Always like seeing what other people do and what works for them, what doesn't, etc.

Sure thing. One of my hobbies so I like to talk about it. It is much easier since I have all the equipment I need in my garage, I literally can knock out the workout whenever I have time. No driving, sharing, etc.

5x5 is good, Strong Lifts is a popular 5x5, pretty much a straight copy of Starting Strength. Only thing is he made an app and a website that is super easy to follow and slightly tweak the program. There are some threads out there explaining why 3x5 with AMRAP on the last one is better than 5x5. IE Linear progression and helps with stalls outs. 5x5 is a ton of volume, typically, I do 5,5,6-7. Also Chin Ups are extremely tough and excellent workout.

Now if I can only stop drinking so much beer..... :laugh:

Lifting weights sucks until you see gains, then you get confidence, get swagger, whatever you want to call it. People get intimidated to go to the gym and hit the cage if you never did it before. People are scared to squat and deadlift, they hear it will screw up their backs which a lot of people will tell them (possible if you do it wrong). Theres a reason why most rookie lifters go to bench and curls, THEY ARE EASY TO DO. Running on a treadmill/stepper is much easier to do. Hit a few buttons and run for 30-40 minutes while watching TV. No one really judges you.

Last edited:

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
Sure thing. One of my hobbies so I like to talk about it. It is much easier since I have all the equipment I need in my garage, I literally can knock out the workout whenever I have time. No driving, sharing, etc.

5x5 is good, Strong Lifts is a popular 5x5, pretty much a straight copy of Starting Strength. Only thing is he made an app and a website that is super easy to follow and slightly tweak the program. There are some threads out there explaining why 3x5 with AMRAP on the last one is better than 5x5. IE Linear progression and helps with stalls outs. 5x5 is a ton of volume, typically, I do 5,5,6-7. Also Chin Ups are extremely tough and excellent workout.

Now if I can only stop drinking so much beer..... :laugh:

Lifting weights sucks until you see gains, then you get confidence, get swagger, whatever you want to call it. People get intimidated to go to the gym and hit the cage if you never did it before. People are scared to squat and deadlift, they hear it will screw up their backs which a lot of people will tell them (possible if you do it wrong). Theres a reason why most rookie lifters go to bench and curls, THEY ARE EASY TO DO. Running on a treadmill/stepper is much easier to do. Hit a few buttons and run for 30-40 minutes while watching TV. No one really judges you.

Strong Lifts is the one I did. The app is super handy and works really well. I have a gym at my office which has everything I need for these types of programs which is nice. Agree on the volume of 5x5, it is a lot. I may look at something like you're doing to start back up again.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010

@ 185Lbs:
Bench 185lb
Squat 137.5lb
Deadlift 190lb
Chin Up +12.5lbs
Barbell Row +122.5lbs
OHP 102.5lbs

I am not making fun of you AT ALL, but it blows my mind you are almost overhead pressing as much as you're squatting.

Easy E

Jun 9, 2015
I am not making fun of you AT ALL, but it blows my mind you are almost overhead pressing as much as you're squatting.

Heh, it is pretty goofy... I never did squats before and nervous to push the limit. I have had some hip impingement, but now I am stretching my hips daily and it has help tremendously. I should probably step up my game on squats, its pretty easy the way it is right now. I had someone do a form check on me and he agreed that the weight is easy on me, but my form isn't 100% yet so not to deload, but just fix the form and keep going.

Reactions: Illinihockey

Doctor Coffin

This may hurt a bit...
May 23, 2013
I'll tell you what's worked in the past year for an me, a middle-aged guy, you can take it for what you like - the DDP Yoga program. That, and trying to cut way down on my intake of gluten and dairy products. I was not extremely overweight, but I've lost around 30 pounds, improved my cardiovascular health, gained so much flexibility and improved my core and lower body strength - without the stress on my joints that most forms of weight training gave me previously.

Reactions: Marotte Marauder

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
There's a difference between a beginner lifting routine and a routine for intermediate/advanced lifters

hth

That's the core of ALL trainees. Some advanced trainees will know their body well enough to supplement a bit.

It's not complicated, progressive resistance training.

Just saw the hth, thanks but after 45 years of weight training I think I've got it.

Last edited:

Easy E

Jun 9, 2015
That's the core of ALL trainees. Some advanced trainees will know their body well enough to supplement a bit.

It's not complicated, progressive resistance training.
There's a difference between a beginner lifting routine and a routine for intermediate/advanced lifters

hth

Kinda what I do. The whole changing up front/back squats etc seems excessive for beginners. Wrist/calves seems secondary.

Workout B is brutal. Tons of volume and squats and dead’s in same day. Easily a 1hr+ workout.

Beginners want basic, this is unnecessarily complex for beginners.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
I’ve been using a hand grip to excercise my wrists. It’s not a bad thing to have lying around, pick it up here and there, you can do it while watching TV or even talking to somebody. I think it’s helped my wristy too, looking wicked, not sure what I’m gonna do when it snows, need to find some ice I guess. I’ve always thought it was kinda off that you shoot for the posts though. Obviously you’re trying to go bar down but more than not, you hit the post square. Is it better to try to shoot for the empty space in the corner or maybe the back bar inside the net? @blueliner, anyone? Just looking for what I should be visualizing mentally, should it be to go bar down, back post, empty space or something else? I see it with the pros too, I’ve always thought they were trying to be too fine but I guess they have no choice. Kaner’s not like that though, he seems to hit the open space more than bar down or off the post.

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
I doubt that whatever league you play in requires such precision. Shoot to the twine, if you don't see any, shoot low and create rebounds. Again, in your league I doubt rebound control is that good.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
I doubt that whatever league you play in requires such precision. Shoot to the twine, if you don't see any, shoot low and create rebounds. Again, in your league I doubt rebound control is that good.

Thanks man, I think I needed that. I’m not even in a league yet, I’ve just been practicing like crazy in preparation for joining a men’s league. I get a little over invested with things and I think I’ve done that again here. I should join the next league that opens up and stop overthinking things. :facepalm:

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
I’ve been using a hand grip to excercise my wrists. It’s not a bad thing to have lying around, pick it up here and there, you can do it while watching TV or even talking to somebody. I think it’s helped my wristy too, looking wicked, not sure what I’m gonna do when it snows, need to find some ice I guess. I’ve always thought it was kinda off that you shoot for the posts though. Obviously you’re trying to go bar down but more than not, you hit the post square. Is it better to try to shoot for the empty space in the corner or maybe the back bar inside the net? @blueliner, anyone? Just looking for what I should be visualizing mentally, should it be to go bar down, back post, empty space or something else? I see it with the pros too, I’ve always thought they were trying to be too fine but I guess they have no choice. Kaner’s not like that though, he seems to hit the open space more than bar down or off the post.

I'm flattered you asked me but even in my "competitive heyday" I wasn't a sniper :laugh:

I'll echo MM's advice. Shoot for twine. Find holes that have twine and shoot for that. And don't forget to follow your shot to the net. *for all you young hockey players out there...*

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN

Shoot for what is open or if you have the ability to make the goalie bite you can create your spot (not the easiest thing for entry level players but I don't know your skill set to do but this pump and by the ears when the tenders goes down)Worst case shoot low and force rebounds.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Thanks guys, really appreciate the great advice. Shoot for twine, makes total sense. Also will work on getting the goalie to bite. Need to work on my low shot a lot too, I have a Sakic/OV curve and have a hard time shooting low but I really need to work on that, no excuses. Rebounds will be valuable in a men’s league, help the team get some easy goals. As for my skillset, who the hell knows. I haven’t played in 10 years but I’m in the best shape of my life by far and from practicing, I was never this good when I was younger, not even close. I played in HS like a lot of people and certainly had my moments but this is just...different. I’ve added wayyyyyyyy more confidence and now I have nice equipment as opposed to yard sale stuff. It’ll be interesting, just looking not to embarrass myself or my teammates once I join a team. Will look for the pass when it’s there, try to draw defenders to my size and find open guys but at heart I am a shooter. Not looking to be a hot dog, scoring leader or anything like that, just want to find a good group of guys to have fun with on and off the ice. If I do end up being good, that’s just gravy. Just want to be as good as I can so I don’t let myself down.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
I'm flattered you asked me but even in my "competitive heyday" I wasn't a sniper :laugh:

I'll echo MM's advice. Shoot for twine. Find holes that have twine and shoot for that. And don't forget to follow your shot to the net. *for all you young hockey players out there...*

Do you still play mens league? I'm such a shell of my former self at this point.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
Do you still play mens league? I'm such a shell of my former self at this point.

You're probably a Hall of Famer compared to what I'd be today. I haven't skated in a game in probably five or six years. Never thought I'd say that in my life. The only time of year I really have time to play is in the late spring/summer and each summer would pass and I would just never get around to doing it. I actually just bought new wheels last week, funny enough, and have gradually been buying a new piece of equipment here and there. Looking to just hit rat ice/open sessions this summer, maybe fill in for a game or two with a friend's team. Try to slowly get back into it. I do miss playing a lot and have the itch again for the first time in a long time. Just so damn busy during the hockey season, ironically, that I really don't much time to do it and don't have the energy for a late night ice time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad