OT: Health and Fitness Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
After I got hurt my senior year at Illinois, I didn't play for 6 or 7 years. Felt so weird to get back out there. My brain still works but my hands and explosive strength were totally gone never to really return.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
I play pick up every Friday night still, (32 years old). Great workout. Crazy how if you take just a week off your body makes you pay for it, I couldn't imagine going years without playing.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
I play pick up every Friday night still, (32 years old). Great workout. Crazy how if you take just a week off your body makes you pay for it, I couldn't imagine going years without playing.

That's what I'm afraid of. You end getting sore in muscles you forgot you even had. It's so sad. It is a good workout, part of why I'd like to get back at it. Plus I just miss playing.

Here ya, Illini. I could probably get in the best shape of my life and still never regain the exactly quickness I once had. Between being old and so many years passing, those twitches in my muscles are probably gone haha.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Do you still play mens league? I'm such a shell of my former self at this point.

You and me both. I blew up my knee like 5-6 years ago and haven't played more than a handful of games as a fill-in, in the time since.

You're probably a Hall of Famer compared to what I'd be today. I haven't skated in a game in probably five or six years. Never thought I'd say that in my life. The only time of year I really have time to play is in the late spring/summer and each summer would pass and I would just never get around to doing it. I actually just bought new wheels last week, funny enough, and have gradually been buying a new piece of equipment here and there. Looking to just hit rat ice/open sessions this summer, maybe fill in for a game or two with a friend's team. Try to slowly get back into it. I do miss playing a lot and have the itch again for the first time in a long time. Just so damn busy during the hockey season, ironically, that I really don't much time to do it and don't have the energy for a late night ice time.

Same. I miss playing too. My brother keeps getting on my ass to play, and I should. But I need to get in better shape to do it. Don't really feel like embarrassing myself. I've played in a few, so I know I'm not terrible, even now. But my legs last for about a period before they're jello, and then I'm basically useless the second half of the game. :laugh:

Good advice from everyone, though. I'll echo it. Shoot for what is open.

SAADfather

Dec 12, 2014
This is the first full year since age 5 that I haven't laced up the skates once. Had to bail out of my men's league team last year due to time restraints and haven't hit ice once since then.

Generally we get some pond hockey games going at outdoor rinks when everyone's back around the hometown for Christmas. Hoping it's cold enough for the ice to be built by that point.

Last edited:

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Playing hockey is like any workout. You just have to power through, rest and recover, and repeat. You are going to be sore for months until your muscles are back in shape. Maybe longer, depending on how often you are getting on the ice. The muscle memory will come back eventually as well, with repetition. Obviously your reaction time and explosiveness will never be what it was in your prime, but hockey's awesome, because there are other ways to make up for that and adapt.

I, unfortunately, had a long break from playing anything but occasional rat hockey from my early twenties until almost thirty. Getting back into game shape was pretty painful...

I'm 38 now, and can play 3-4 games a week without really feeling it. On top of being on the ice for my son's practices 2-3 times a week. Obvious exceptions being the bumps and bruises. Playing double headers takes its toll as well, obviously.

I've played close to 400 games since 2012, just at Johnny's, and honestly feel better now than I did in my early thirties.... Anyone here thinking they can't get back into it, just do it. It's the greatest game on earth.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
Playing hockey is like any workout. You just have to power through, rest and recover, and repeat. You are going to be sore for months until your muscles are back in shape. Maybe longer, depending on how often you are getting on the ice. The muscle memory will come back eventually as well, with repetition. Obviously your reaction time and explosiveness will never be what it was in your prime, but hockey's awesome, because there are other ways to make up for that and adapt.

I, unfortunately, had a long break from playing anything but occasional rat hockey from my early twenties until almost thirty. Getting back into game shape was pretty painful...

I'm 38 now, and can play 3-4 games a week without really feeling it. On top of being on the ice for my son's practices 2-3 times a week. Obvious exceptions being the bumps and bruises. Playing double headers takes its toll as well, obviously.

I've played close to 400 games since 2012, just at Johnny's, and honestly feel better now than I did in my early thirties.... Anyone here thinking they can't get back into it, just do it. It's the greatest game on earth.

Holy shit this post got me pumped up. No joke! Haha. Motivational.

As for the bolded, this is so true. My head for the game now is ahead of where it was as a player and I know I can use that to make up for a lost half-step or so. Good post...kinda made me feel like I can be kinda good again :laugh:

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Holy **** this post got me pumped up. No joke! Haha. Motivational.

As for the bolded, this is so true. My head for the game now is ahead of where it was as a player and I know I can use that to make up for a lost half-step or so. Good post...kinda made me feel like I can be kinda good again :laugh:

Hockey IQ goes a long way.

Regardless of your age, or how long you've been out of the game, just go get on the ice. Lots of open hockey opportunities, at all kinds of hours of the day. Get out there at those 5AM or 6AM skates if you have to, even if you're out there alone... You would be surprised how effective having an entire rink to yourself is, in getting you back in hockey shape...

And this goes for anyone thinking about it, or longing for the days they played. Just do it! I know plenty of guys in their late 40s, early 50s, still going strong.

Reactions: Blue Liner

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
Hockey IQ goes a long way.

Regardless of your age, or how long you've been out of the game, just go get on the ice. Lots of open hockey opportunities, at all kinds of hours of the day. Get out there at those 5AM or 6AM skates if you have to, even if you're out there alone... You would be surprised how effective having an entire rink to yourself is, in getting you back in hockey shape...

And this goes for anyone thinking about it, or longing for the days they played. Just do it! I know plenty of guys in their late 40s, early 50s, still going strong.

This is actually my preference, at least at first. I love having a sheet to myself. Know a guy that runs a rink so may be able to pull a string or two. Screw around, work on getting timing back, maybe even some drills... *cue Rocky theme*

That is one of the great things about hockey. Regardless of age, skill level, anything...you can find a place to play and enjoy the hell out of it.

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
At 58, I limit my play to outdoor roller hockey on beautiful days. I have refined the art of letting the puck do the work!

Reactions: Pez68

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Bunch of old ****s in this thread.

I was talking to my neighbor after I got home from the gym a couple days ago. He was like, yeah, I have a membership but everytime I go I get sore after a week and stop. I know I should go but the soreness, you know. I said, I guess I’m just lucky (I’m not a p***y). Guy is 3 years younger than me and his membership is at the expensive gym in town with a pool and track and all kinds of shit. I’m getting his ass back in the gym, we’ll go to his with me as a guest, been wanting to check it out anyway. Good to see everyone getting the hunger back.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
I’ve added bananas and organic peanut butter to my diet and it’s gone a long way in trimming my belly fat down. It’s only been 2 weeks and I’m already slimming down. The peanut butter keeps you feeling full. You can have this for breakfast, snacks and desert. Keeps the metabolism going. It’s also cheap eating.

I saw Lance Briggs on TV the other day and he mentioned the idea of using food just for fuel. I think it’s an important concept because if you are committed to maximizing your diet, why not be very strict with your diet? Do it for 3 months. That time will have come and gone before you know it and you will have made some very noticeable progress. At that point, you can relax a bit on the diet and just workout to maintain. That’s the dream, having a body you are very happy with that you just work to maintain. Staying with a suboptimal diet and trying to improve will take years. I’ll keep you guys updated but I’m going to be very strict on myself these next 3 months. I’m keeping carbs to an absolute minimum.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
The idea of using food just for fuel is great, but the problem is...a lot of people derive pleasure from eating tasty food.

For sure, it’s a very difficult challenge, no doubt. That’s why I think keeping it to 3 months is ideal. I get it though, even if you stay disciplined, inevitably you’ll be with someone who says “Let’s go get ice cream sundaes!” and you’re just gonna have to stray. For me, this decision came down to me having a healthy diet and great workouts but being stagnant in my weight loss. It might be dangerous or at least, a waste of time, to increase my physical activity so I think this is the answer. Then, when I get to where I want to be, I will switch back to just a regular good diet and allow myself some treats from time to time. I think this next level dieting is best for someone who is at a stagnant point or is looking to get in shape as quick as possible for some reason. You need to legit want it and not be torturing yourself.

Easy E

Jun 9, 2015
I think this next level dieting is best for someone who is at a stagnant point or is looking to get in shape as quick as possible for some reason. You need to legit want it and not be torturing yourself.

Dieting is my crux for sure. Tough to kick the bad foods.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
This new diet is working out really well. It really is true that you need 6 meals per day and never go longer than 3 hours between meals. A “meal” can and should be a salad or a couple pieces of fruit. So if you do 2 salads, you either do a fruit breakfast or a couple eggs, then add a fruit or vegetable snack at some point; you’re left with lunch and dinner. You will not eat a huge lunch or dinner if you follow this plan. For those meals, just go with whatever normal healthy foods you like, fish, chicken, turkey, whatever. Add a vegetable side to both or at least dinner. That’s all there is to it. I feel great, snapping out of bed in the morning and I just know my body is loving it and is going drop that last nagging 15 pounds of fat. I can’t even imagine what this would do for someone just starting out. You can do it too! There is nothing special about me, if I can do it, anyone can. You read any health book from any time period and you will always see this type of diet suggested. No carbs!!!!! Fruits and vegetables have them already so that’s all you get!

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
I had been trying intermittent fasting for the past couple of weeks, and it seems to have been working for me. Mentally I haven't been able to do it this week, far too many tasty treats around for me to wait to eat in the morning or stop eating at night. Basically what it is, is you wake up at 7:30, don't eat until 10am, and eat what you would normally eat through the day, and stop eating at 8pm at night. So you have 10hrs to eat what you would normally eat, but it works better if you eat healthy. Some people even do it for only an 8 hr period, which is hard for me working an 9hr job everyday.

It's supposed to help with your metabolism, and people are only supposed to eat for a maximum of 12hrs every day. I was eating when I woke up (8am until I went to bed 12pm) and I think it was a big factor as to why I was gaining weight quickly. In the new year, I'm gonna do the intermittent fasting, start eating healthier, and work out far more frequently to hit my goal of 190 that I have been trying to do for the last couple of years.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
This new diet is working out really well. It really is true that you need 6 meals per day and never go longer than 3 hours between meals. A “meal” can and should be a salad or a couple pieces of fruit. So if you do 2 salads, you either do a fruit breakfast or a couple eggs, then add a fruit or vegetable snack at some point; you’re left with lunch and dinner. You will not eat a huge lunch or dinner if you follow this plan. For those meals, just go with whatever normal healthy foods you like, fish, chicken, turkey, whatever. Add a vegetable side to both or at least dinner. That’s all there is to it. I feel great, snapping out of bed in the morning and I just know my body is loving it and is going drop that last nagging 15 pounds of fat. I can’t even imagine what this would do for someone just starting out. You can do it too! There is nothing special about me, if I can do it, anyone can. You read any health book from any time period and you will always see this type of diet suggested. No carbs!!!!! Fruits and vegetables have them already so that’s all you get!

Eating a lot of smaller meals is absolutely the best way, I think. Ultimately, you want to speed up your metabolism to lose weight and keep it off. You also want to avoid those huge meals that you have no way to burn off.

Being on the ice as much as I am, I can't get on the no carbs train, though. lol

SAADfather

Dec 12, 2014
Skated for the first time in about a year today. Surprised myself that I can still somewhat keep up with a couple of my friends that are still playing NCAA. I was kind of expecting to embarrass myself today as I went with some real good players that play every day but I really diddnt feel too out of place. Although I am in my mid twenties so I can't imagine I have too much longer to stay away from the game for over a year without losing a beat with my skating. I am absolutely exhausted though.

Forgot how awesome this game is when it's not ultra competitive and you're just playing to have fun with friends.

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
Skated for the first time in about a year today. Surprised myself that I can still somewhat keep up with a couple of my friends that are still playing NCAA. I was kind of expecting to embarrass myself today as I went with some real good players that play every day but I really diddnt feel too out of place. Although I am in my mid twenties so I can't imagine I have too much longer to stay away from the game for over a year without losing a beat with my skating. I am absolutely exhausted though.

Forgot how awesome this game is when it's not ultra competitive and you're just playing to have fun with friends.

The best game around!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad