OT: Health and Fitness Thread ‎III

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
I totally agree about flexibility.

I've been almost too structured to the point where I'd get anxious over vacations and missing a day or a few of the gym.

It's not the end of the world, and in fact it's good to take a week off a couple of times a year.
I compromise and at least work in a run.

As far as medication, it has everything to do with the society we live in.
We are reactive in treating illnesses.
We should be proactive and focus on preventing the issues before they happen.

I've had that issue. For a while, I was declining social things so I could get to "my class".

I'm a group exercise person...it's what works for me. I like the camaraderie and accountability that it brings. Outside of going for a run, I know that I won't get myself to the gym to lift on a regular basis because I find it overwhelming, so I have sought out classes that incorporate strength work into them.

What worked for me was actually widening my net. I belonged to a gym and was married to the classes that they had on their schedule. In addition to my gym, which I keep as my home base and for spin classes/the pool, I also belong to a Title Boxing gym, and have class passes to a yoga studio and Orangetheory studio. No matter what's going on in my life, I have literally no excuse. I have so many options, it's impossible for me to not be able to carve out some time somewhere in the day to get to a workout.

Yes, it's expensive. But it's an investment in myself, and I found what works for me. My husband and I joke that he spends his "fun" money on eating out/going out, I spend mine on working out.

It's actually not terrible because I get a discount to all of these places through work.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
The investment part is key.

People's jaws hit the floor when they ask what I pay a month for the gym, but it includes indoor and outdoor pool, cardio, free weights, basketball gym, indoor and outdoor tennis courts, indoor track, hot tubs and more.

It's skin in the game.

I wonder how much Planet Fitness makes off of people who get the membership in January and stop going. They're locked in for the year, but it's "only" $10 a month so they think nothing of not utilizing it.

Also, not knocking planet fitness. It served me well during my beginning stages and has plenty of value if you use it correctly.

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010

People's jaws hit the floor when they ask what I pay a month for the gym, but it includes indoor and outdoor pool, cardio, free weights, basketball gym, indoor and outdoor tennis courts, indoor track, hot tubs and more.

It's skin in the game.

I wonder how much Planet Fitness makes off of people who get the membership in January and stop going. They're locked in for the year, but it's "only" $10 a month so they think nothing of not utilizing it.

Also, not knocking planet fitness. It served me well during my beginning stages and has plenty of value if you use it correctly.

I applaud anyone that gets out there and does what they can. If Planet Fitness makes a gym accessible to someone that may not otherwise be able to go or belong to a club, that's fantastic.

But are the pizza socials really necessary?

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be

It's skin in the game.

Planet fitness charges so little because they know people won't bother cancelling at that rate. I liked it when I went but it was to crowded. There are times the weight lifting equipment had lines 3-4 deep.

The most important thing for me is location. My gym is 1/2 mile from my house and open 24-7. It's like 70 bucks per month for two memberships.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
Planet fitness charges so little because they know people won't bother cancelling at that rate. I liked it when I went but it was to crowded. There are times the weight lifting equipment had lines 3-4 deep.

The most important thing for me is location. My gym is 1/2 mile from my house and open 24-7. It's like 70 bucks per month for two memberships.

When I went to Planet Fitness it wasnt even that crowded. I wanted to get in and out in like 45 minutes. But you had these hardos that would sit on the machines I wanted to use and just sit there and listen to their headphones. I mean they would do like 5 reps and sit for 5 minutes. It was hilarious.

I want to get a membership to the Y- because my daughter is going to the afterschool thing there for kindergarten this year, but the prices for a membership are insane.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
I wear NB 405 sneakers, they run about $ 75-80 a pair but they fit my long & wide feet very well. I buy a pair about every 8 months you know the story once they feel comfortable it is time to get rid of them. I don't mind the price if there is one thing I won't skimp on it is quality shoes.

Trying something different- I walked Sunday Monday & Tuesday. Taking today off to rest my foot, then I will walk tomorrow, Friday and rest Saturday. I am hoping this will reduce the likelihood of another plantar fascitis flare up.

Dr Seldon

Mar 11, 2003
Stockholm, Sweden
I got myself a pair of Brooks Ghost this year, very happy with those. Did the Nike Pegasus before, that I really liked, but was dangerously close to being too narrow, at least on my right foot.

Planning on improving my running this year, after losing it a bit (sickness, minor injuries and such). Time to get that 10k time under 50 minutes again.

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
I didn't like Brooks. They felt very heavy and clunky to me

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
Went to lunch at Panera. Was walking out and saw a little kid eating a giant M&M cookie.

Doubled back and got myself one. Best 400 calories I've ever had.

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
Anyone with a spare 58 seconds, here's my Mayweather-inspired jump rope routine. The psychology of this is fascinating. I was doing a 'test run' meaning I didn't put myself under any pressure to nail it. As a result, I nailed it! So this is the first take. The routine usually takes a minute or just over, but I was able to push the tempo at the beginning. Adrenaline, I guess. ;)

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
I've hit a frustrating plateau on the bench the last month.

I've tried fewer reps with more weight.
I've tried more reps with less weight.
I've tried dumbells.

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
Smith, have you thought about a few sessions with a personal trainer?

I've decided to give up on the scale for the most part. I've been eating pretty well (yesterday's cookie notwithstanding) and exercising consistently. I got on the scale for ***** and giggles and was up 4 lbs from Saturday. I'd literally have to be sitting on my ass gnawing on sticks of butter to gain 4 lbs. It's stupid. It's stressful.

I'll weigh myself here and there to stay honest, but it's not going to be a measure of progress for me anymore, I think.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002

I've tried dumbells.

I am big on dumbbells over bench

You are doing the right thing mixing it up

I've always felt right or wrong without enhancements it's tough to keep making bench gains

The internet is great for getting ideas on lifting

BruinsFan64

Sep 17, 2009

I've tried dumbells.

Are you noticing any muscle growth? Right after a workout, on the way home from the gym, I eat a cliff bar, which is high in carbs and protein. That should help feed your muscles when they recover from a workout. Typically carbs and protein are what is needed to help add muscle size and in theory the more muscle size, the more strength you should gain as you workout. I have noticed some gains, especially in my biceps and chest by following this but I think I need to add even more carbs. My diet overall is low carb so I think I need to increase it a little more.

Also try different routines. Switch to a different machine for the same muscle group to see if that helps.

It will also depend on how many times you work the muscle groups each week. I go to the gym 5-6 days a week but try to work a rest day in the middle. Rest is important for recovery of the muscles.

Last edited:

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
I'm definitely getting larger chest and shoulders.

Just not seeing the results on the bench.

I get 150+ grams of protein a day.

Muscle protein synthesis—or your body's ability to take protein’s amino acids and turn them into muscle—caps at 30g of the macronutrient, says Nancy Rodriguez, Ph.D., R.D., director of the University of Connecticut’s Sports Nutrition program. That means that downing a 50-g protein shake will have the same effect on muscle growth as downing a 30-g shake. In fact, a 2014 study in the Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition found that strength trainers who consumed 5.5 times the recommended daily protein (that’s just over 2g per pound of bodyweight) saw no positive or negative effect on body composition. In other words, you’re not putting your muscles at risk—but you are wasting precious protein powder.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Muscle protein synthesis—or your body's ability to take protein’s amino acids and turn them into muscle—caps at 30g of the macronutrient, says Nancy Rodriguez, Ph.D., R.D., director of the University of Connecticut’s Sports Nutrition program. That means that downing a 50-g protein shake will have the same effect on muscle growth as downing a 30-g shake. In fact, a 2014 study in the Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition found that strength trainers who consumed 5.5 times the recommended daily protein (that’s just over 2g per pound of bodyweight) saw no positive or negative effect on body composition. In other words, you’re not putting your muscles at risk—but you are wasting precious protein powder.

Points are at a premium.

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
Just finished my fourth week, and supposedly final, leg day with dumbbells instead of the barbell. It's been extremely tiring, but very gratifying.

Deadlifting dumbbells, I use a lot less weight. But whereas the 45 lb. plates hit the ground pretty quickly, I go much lower with the dumbbells, and I can definitely feel muscles toward the glutes that are getting stretched more than normal.

I've also been doing a glute bridge with a 55 lb. dumbbell in my lap. As I flex I press into the dumbbell, creating even more resistance. I can definitely feel it.

Dueling Banjos

Oct 29, 2014
Bought weighted vest the other day, Xenios 60lbs, love that thing. Weighted push ups, dips, squat jumps, pull ups (with reduced weight, 20lbs for now). Best piece of equipment i bought recently, next to parallettes i got last year.

I used to fill backpack with weights but this thing is way more comfortable and agile. Recommended.

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
90s rock music takeover at boxing today. I was in heaven.

Hitting the **** out of a heavy bag with Just a Girl blasting out of the speakers was a wicked girl power moment.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
90s rock music takeover at boxing today. I was in heaven.

Hitting the **** out of a heavy bag with Just a Girl blasting out of the speakers was a wicked girl power moment.

The psychology of time and music when working out is very interesting.

You figure a typical song is around 3 minutes.
Started a round on the bag yesterday and had a song start at nearly the exact same time.
Song ends and the 3 minute timer hasn't gone off yet.
It's incredible how 3 minutes can feel like 10 sometimes.

Same with running, I'm about a 7:45 minute mile these days and so I bank on seeing the mile marker at races some time during song 3. When it doesn't happen, it screws with me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad