OT: Health and Fitness Thread ‎III

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
BTW, I hit the 8 week mark on my diet plan on Sunday and this morning I was down 30.5 pounds. I know the rest won't come off as easily (or quickly - sorry Kate), but I've never been so pleased with a diet in my life. This plan is really working for me.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I had to box with different people during my Navy PT training, and I can definitely tell you... it depends on the person.

True. I been in a few that I wish lasted 3 minutes

Kate's right though a heavy bag is a fantastic workout

Plus you can over time keep increasing your time

You use more than just your arms

It's pretty awesome workout and love hearing she does it

Seems like she has the balance down and understood which is 1/2 the battle

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
True. I been in a few that I wish lasted 3 minutes

Kate's right though a heavy bag is a fantastic workout

Plus you can over time keep increasing your time

You use more than just your arms

It's pretty awesome workout and love hearing she does it

Seems like she has the balance down and understood which is 1/2 the battle

It also helps that the heavy bag isn't trying to hit you back.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
BTW, I hit the 8 week mark on my diet plan on Sunday and this morning I was down 30.5 pounds. I know the rest won't come off as easily (or quickly - sorry Kate), but I've never been so pleased with a diet in my life. This plan is really working for me.

What is the plan? That's a lot pretty fast

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
No kidding and I'm sure you and I probably weren't that aware of concussions.

I always liked the speed bag and got to be half decent at it. Great for the shoulders.

The boxing instructor there in Pensacola used to be the Navy boxing coach, and he was as salty as the sea. I worked at the PT gym while waiting to start flight school, and listened to many a tale from him from his long career. He was an interesting dude.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Broke through my bench press plateau.

My ten mile race fell on leg day and I didn't lift that day.
Took a rest day yesterday as well although I did hit the bag for four rounds and skipped rope.

I need to be more patient and willing to shut it down for an extra day or two here and there to recover.

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
I had to stay overnight in a hotel for work on Tuesday night, and I actually found my way to the workout room. Now if only I could do that regularly when I'm at home. At least hockey season is starting and I'll be on the ice reffing every weekend. It's not as aerobic as playing, even though we don't get to shift off, but it's better than sitting on the couch!

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
Rest day. Sitting on the deck at Tides Nahant Beach. Enjoying a Hoegarden (or two). Had half a small steak and cheese pizza and a salad for lunch. ZLX is playing and the waves are cranking today. Incredibly thankful I'm comfortable going out to eat alone because this is heaven.

I'm not one of those people that says birthday (or Thanksgiving, or Christmas) calories don't count. They count just as much today as the other 364 days of the year. But life is also meant to be enjoyed, so I'm going to enjoy it.

Out tonight to celebrate (more the start of college football than my birthday :laugh:) so more beers and some pub grub. Fun, laughs with friends, and my mom's homemade cake.

Back to the gym tomorrow morning.

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
Also, Smith, youre running a marathon in November?! Which one?

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Awesome. How's the course? Where are you in training? Have you started playing around with fuel yet?

Any questions, feel free to reach out.

Course is hilly.

I did the half last year.
The gym I work out at has an indoor track.
I do long runs at Massabesic Lake in Manchester.
Longest so far has been 20 miles.

Any suggestions on how to ramp/ taper are welcome.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Taking Wednesdays & Saturdays off from walking is definitely helping, I haven't had any flare ups in my foot or my back. Definitely have more energy, it is a great feeling.

Doing well on the eating front too. I haven't had any cake, twinkies, donuts, pie or anything like that since the beginning of July and I don't miss them. Now to reduce my intake of cookies, I have a lethal addiction to Oreos and chocolate chip cookies (Keebler's ftw btw). I'm going to replace ice cream with frozen yogurt, I tried some and it was delicious I couldn't even tell it wasn't the real thing.

:yo:

Reactions: WickedBruinsGirl

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
Course is hilly.

I did the half last year.
The gym I work out at has an indoor track.
I do long runs at Massabesic Lake in Manchester.
Longest so far has been 20 miles.

Any suggestions on how to ramp/ taper are welcome.

Well...most plans have you maxing out at 20...22 at max. You're already going about this in a very unconventional way. Most folks that run a marathon follow a specific training regimen to ensure gradual build up and safety. Conventional training plans call for anywhere from 2 - 4 runs during the week (mix of speed/hill work/short and or mid distance) and one long run on the weekend. Typically your long run mileage will increase 2 weeks, scale back one, increase another 2, scale back.

Rest is also really, really important. And I know you struggle with that. So, make sure you start resting.

You're going to want to max out your mileage (20 - 22) about 4 weeks before the marathon. run a 13(ish), then an 8(ish) for your last longs before race day.

Hal Higdon marathon plans are sworn by. Check those out.

Be careful. You're an all out kind of guy, and the marathon is no joke. With all of your lifting and lack of rest, plus relative unconventional training....if you aren't careful you're going to really hurt yourself. You have 2 months to get yourself on a good training plan, so now's the time to find and commit to something. I started training for Boston (mid April) in early December. And I had a solid base, having run 4 half marathons in the fall season prior to starting training.

Also, the taper tantrums are real.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Over the summer, I ran 4 times per week.

Typically, one three mile run, two 5-7 mile runs and one 8-10 mile run.

I've been lifting 6 days on, one day off.
It might make sense to switch that to 5 days a week.

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
Yeah running wise you're probably fine, but you'll likely want to knock back the lifting. Even 5 days is a lot. As you get into more hill work and the longer distances, you're using your core and arms a TON. I was surprised by how tired my upper body was after long runs once I got into the consistent 15+ mile zone. A lot of plans recommend cross training 2-3 times a week.

I know you're super focused on your strength right now. With the marathon, that should really be your hyper focus while training. Treating your body and feeding your body to be able to cover the miles.

I'm not trying to sound like a know it all, so please don't take it that way. I'm just a little worried about you, and that you'll hurt yourself if you don't back off some. I'm sure you'll be fine, you seem to be in much better shape than me, and I'm pretty sure you're several years younger, too.

Just be careful. Training for, and running, a marathon is incredibly taxing on the body. So is the amount of time you spend on the bench. Would hate to see you get hurt.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->