OT: Health and Fitness Thread ‎III

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
We have a small cardio room and an even smaller weight area, but I just can't seem to make myself go, even when I have the time. I'm going to keep trying though. At least my eating plan is going well. I'm down 25 pounds in about 6 1/2 weeks. Progress seems to come in fits and starts though, and that's frustrating.

Fantastic dude, very proud of you.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
I've been making it a point as of late to get up early to lift.
I don't want to fall into the habit of sleeping in.

School starts earlier this year and I'm going to need to be up at 4:45 every day to lift and run.

I'll be lucky to make it through the second period of the Bruins games.

I am having the same issue. I had book club last night (aka get together with the girls once a month on a weeknight and drink wine and maybe talk about a book), and I had to leave at 9 because I was falling asleep.

Did my first class at Orangetheory this morning and it. Was. Awesome.

Once I sit on the couch and recline slightly I'm done. I generally cant make it past 9;30 on the week nights.

That being said, was pretty pissed at myself for gaining 15 pounds the past 3 months or so enjoying my summer like a rock star, but went back on my fast/detox and combined with 90-120 minute cardio/weight/stretching exercises I have lost 11 lbs in 6 days. I'm glad my body can still react and readjust at 48. I realize it's mostly just water and sugar (had about 12-15 smores dunkin donuts this summer) but it's certainly encouraging. If I can keep going until next summer I may actually lay on the beach lol.

Also, what is Orangetheory?

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
It blows my mind how much more quickly men lose weight.

Lou, here's info on Orangetheory: https://www.orangetheoryfitness.com/the-workout

Basically it's a 60 minute workout where you wear a heart rate monitor and the goal is to spend x amount of time in the "orange zone". They mix up the workouts; today was an endurance day. Half of the class starts "on the floor", meaning with the strength circuit part of class. Today, it was:
CIRCUIT A
12 deadlifts
12 Y-ups on the TRX
1 minute on the rower

Then you dove into the rest of the workout, adding one of the moves below to circuit A:
24 mountain climbers on the bosu ball
12 oblique crunches on the bosu, each side
12 back extensions on the bosu
12 single leg v-up on the bosu

So you'd do the mountain climbers, then circuit A, then back to the Bosu but you would add the oblique crunches in after the mountain climbers, and repeat, adding an exercise, until you finished that portion of the workout.

The second half of class is treadmill work, and because today was endurance day, there was a lot of sprinting and running at a push pace. There were 3 7-minute running circuits; start at your base pace for a minute, up it to your push pace for 90 seconds, back to base pace, push pace for 2 mins, then all-out for 30 seconds.

Half the class is "on the floor" doing the strength piece while the other half is on the treadmill. Then once the circuits are completed, you switch.

Great music, encouraging instructor/coach, and a sense of camaraderie in the class. Modifications were available for all; on the treadmill portion, there were people power walking on an incline during the push segments, right next to someone running at a 6 min/mile pace. I really liked it.

According to the heart rate monitor, I burned over 600 calories during the class.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
It blows my mind how much more quickly men lose weight.

Lou, here's info on Orangetheory: https://www.orangetheoryfitness.com/the-workout

Basically it's a 60 minute workout where you wear a heart rate monitor and the goal is to spend x amount of time in the "orange zone". They mix up the workouts; today was an endurance day. Half of the class starts "on the floor", meaning with the strength circuit part of class. Today, it was:
CIRCUIT A
12 deadlifts
12 Y-ups on the TRX
1 minute on the rower

Then you dove into the rest of the workout, adding one of the moves below to circuit A:
24 mountain climbers on the bosu ball
12 oblique crunches on the bosu, each side
12 back extensions on the bosu
12 single leg v-up on the bosu

So you'd do the mountain climbers, then circuit A, then back to the Bosu but you would add the oblique crunches in after the mountain climbers, and repeat, adding an exercise, until you finished that portion of the workout.

The second half of class is treadmill work, and because today was endurance day, there was a lot of sprinting and running at a push pace. There were 3 7-minute running circuits; start at your base pace for a minute, up it to your push pace for 90 seconds, back to base pace, push pace for 2 mins, then all-out for 30 seconds.

Half the class is "on the floor" doing the strength piece while the other half is on the treadmill. Then once the circuits are completed, you switch.

Great music, encouraging instructor/coach, and a sense of camaraderie in the class. Modifications were available for all; on the treadmill portion, there were people power walking on an incline during the push segments, right next to someone running at a 6 min/mile pace. I really liked it.

According to the heart rate monitor, I burned over 600 calories during the class.

Between January and March of this year prior to our Jamaica trip, lost 11lbs, all I did was 20 minutes on stationary bike, and basic weight training for about 30 minutes and I did NOT skip one bowl of ice cream

For me it`s all about getting my arse off the couch or stop making excuses. Not sure about anyone else but if I say "tomorrow I`m back to the gym" to myself one more time I`ll scream

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
Between January and March of this year prior to our Jamaica trip, lost 11lbs, all I did was 20 minutes on stationary bike, and basic weight training for about 30 minutes and I did NOT skip one bowl of ice cream

For me it`s all about getting my arse off the couch or stop making excuses. Not sure about anyone else but if I say "tomorrow I`m back to the gym" to myself one more time I`ll scream

That is absolutely infuriating.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Legs and foot were giving me a lot of trouble. I put that down to trying to do 2 miles right away instead of building back up to it. Now that I have gone a month without pain I'm back in action.

Today I'm going to buy some dumb bells so I can start strengthening my arms & shoulders.

I've been working on improving my diet. I tried some organic cereals & snacks that don't taste half bad, and I'm trying to work in more fruits & vegetables too. My problem is I loathe most of them either because of taste and/or texture.

Kovi

Feb 11, 2007
Down 12 lbs. since mid-June with plant based eating. About to a more free-lance style work so maybe more time for cardio...

Havent minded the plant based eating a bit and actually prefer it now.

:handclap::handclap:

Highly recommend Forks Over Knives website for recipes and general info on plant-based.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Down 12 lbs. since mid-June with plant based eating. About to a more free-lance style work so maybe more time for cardio...

Havent minded the plant based eating a bit and actually prefer it now.

:handclap::handclap:

Highly recommend Forks Over Knives website for recipes and general info on plant-based.

I'm very familiar with this book and T Colin Campbell and Caldwell Esselstyn. I'll just add,when you eliminate meat and add grains and fruits,you should know your H1A1C and if you are L(p)a positive. I did an extreme version of this diet (under the supervision of Caldwell Esselstyn whose cell number I have) for 2 years and by the end of it my heart disease had progressed to the point that I couldn't walk 10 feet. No diet should be embarked on without knowing at the very minimum,blood sugar response.

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
Went to a 75 minute yoga class this morning. Was going to run 3 miles before it but slept in. Ive been incredibly fatigued lately, and am going to see my PCP after Labor Day to hopefully get some tests and answers. I really like my doctor, but I feel like because I'm generally healthy I get dismissed. If she doesn't run the tests I want her to run, I'm finding a new doctor.

Beach day tomorrow, so the plan is to get there very early and get 3 miles in along the path.

Congrats, Kovi!

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Went to a 75 minute yoga class this morning. Was going to run 3 miles before it but slept in. Ive been incredibly fatigued lately, and am going to see my PCP after Labor Day to hopefully get some tests and answers. I really like my doctor, but I feel like because I'm generally healthy I get dismissed. If she doesn't run the tests I want her to run, I'm finding a new doctor.

Beach day tomorrow, so the plan is to get there very early and get 3 miles in along the path.

Congrats, Kovi!

Bravo. We have to take control of our own health. They are bound by AMA protocol but you can walk in there with more info than they have. I have had cardiologists tell me "How can I possibly keep up with all that new info,I've dealt with 4 heart attacks today already". Do your own due diligence before you arrive. Thyroid? Know what tests you'll need.

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
I recently read a provocative article on a not-yet-official eating disorder called Orthorexia, which is essentially the obsession with eating only healthy food.

It's sort of the sister of bro-science, with attractive, young Instagram stars - who have no medical or scientific training - promoting diets that are neither healthy nor sustainable.

In the spring of 2014, Jordan Younger noticed that her hair was falling out in clumps. “Not cool†was her reaction. At the time, Younger, 23, believed herself to be eating the healthiest of all possible diets. She was a “gluten-free, sugar-free, oil-free, grain-free, legume-free, plant-based raw veganâ€. As The Blonde Vegan, Younger was a “wellness†blogger in New York City, one of thousands on Instagram (where she had 70,000 followers) rallying under the hashtag #eatclean. Although she had no qualifications as a nutritionist, Younger had sold more than 40,000 copies of her own $25, five-day “cleanse†programme – a formula for an all-raw, plant-based diet majoring on green juice.

But the “clean†diet that Younger was selling as the route to health was making its creator sick. Far from being super-healthy, she was suffering from a serious eating disorder: orthorexia, an obsession with consuming only foods that are pure and perfect. Younger’s raw vegan diet had caused her periods to stop and given her skin an orange tinge from all the sweet potato and carrots she consumed (the only carbohydrates she permitted herself).

"Why We Fell for Clean Eating"
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2017/aug/11/why-we-fell-for-clean-eating

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
I recently read a provocative article on a not-yet-official eating disorder called Orthorexia, which is essentially the obsession with eating only healthy food.

It's sort of the sister of bro-science, with attractive, young Instagram stars - who have no medical or scientific training - promoting diets that are neither healthy nor sustainable.

In the spring of 2014, Jordan Younger noticed that her hair was falling out in clumps. “Not cool†was her reaction. At the time, Younger, 23, believed herself to be eating the healthiest of all possible diets. She was a “gluten-free, sugar-free, oil-free, grain-free, legume-free, plant-based raw veganâ€. As The Blonde Vegan, Younger was a “wellness†blogger in New York City, one of thousands on Instagram (where she had 70,000 followers) rallying under the hashtag #eatclean. Although she had no qualifications as a nutritionist, Younger had sold more than 40,000 copies of her own $25, five-day “cleanse†programme – a formula for an all-raw, plant-based diet majoring on green juice.

But the “clean†diet that Younger was selling as the route to health was making its creator sick. Far from being super-healthy, she was suffering from a serious eating disorder: orthorexia, an obsession with consuming only foods that are pure and perfect. Younger’s raw vegan diet had caused her periods to stop and given her skin an orange tinge from all the sweet potato and carrots she consumed (the only carbohydrates she permitted herself).

"Why We Fell for Clean Eating"
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2017/aug/11/why-we-fell-for-clean-eating[/QUOTE}

I read this a few days ago. It certainly has me thinking.

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
I love Chipotle's rice. But double? That's crazy talk.

Now that I'm exercising in the morning I find that I'm much hungrier before lunch. Obviously I need to adjust my breakfast/eating to make up for the jumpstart in the metabolism...looking into some overnight oats recipes, and will be trying eggs a few different ways (never been a fan of eggs -- and any way I have managed to choke them down has been scrambled with cheese and bacon, which defeats the purpose of trying to have something healthy :laugh:).

Any easy, on the go breakfast ideas? Another idea is to keep with my shake but have a second, smaller breakfast a few hours later.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
I rarely have time for actual breakfast.
When I do, it's typically eggs and oatmeal.
Hadn't had eggs since I was a kid, but about two years ago tried them with hot sauce.

More often than not, it's a pineapple mango protein shake before the gym around 6am, then an oatmeal English muffin with peanut butter or a builder bar around 8am.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Cereal, yogurt & orange juice after my walk every week day though I vary the cereal & yogurt flavors weekly. I don't have time to cook breakfast though some winter mornings I'll microwave a bowl of oatmeal.

I just can't get going without a decent breakfast. :help:

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be

Now that I'm exercising in the morning I find that I'm much hungrier before lunch. Obviously I need to adjust my breakfast/eating to make up for the jumpstart in the metabolism...looking into some overnight oats recipes, and will be trying eggs a few different ways (never been a fan of eggs -- and any way I have managed to choke them down has been scrambled with cheese and bacon, which defeats the purpose of trying to have something healthy :laugh:).

Any easy, on the go breakfast ideas? Another idea is to keep with my shake but have a second, smaller breakfast a few hours later.

Eat chicken or turkey and eggs for breakfast and a banana at 10am.

I hate eggs so I just load up on chicken

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005

make the egg whites. My wife makes a **** ton of them and makes about 30 sandwiches with eng muffins. either plain or w cheese or bacon. Ziplock bag them and put them in the freezer. Nuke em for like a minute and eat it on the way to work.

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
I microwaved a chocolate chip cookie dough Quest bar and my world has changed.

Legitimately tastes like a warm chocolate chip cookie.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad