OT: Health and Fitness Thread ‎III

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
I tried making a video jumping rope. I may eventually set up an Instagram account and see if I can get 5 followers. ;) I did a bunch of Floyd Mayweather type jumps (lots of side swings), though of course I'm not nearly as good. He has a tough opponent, though mine was no slouch - a 105 degree heat index.

It was actually pretty fun; got the adrenaline going wanting to get it just right, which I actually did the first take.

The camera's auto-focus acted up a little on the double unders, though.

I also tried bench dips with a 25 lb. plate in my lap. I did them no problem, but the extra weight did make my wrist sore.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Anyone can have a good day, a good week or a good month of going to the gym and eating healthy.

It's when "life happens", the nagging injuries, the crappy weather and shorter days happen that you become tested.

Everyone stay strong and continue to battle.
If you have a bad day and slip, miss a day or eat like crap, put it in its place and move forward.
Don't let one bad day turn into a bad habit.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Did the shake and English muffin with PB and my stomach was still growling by 11.

Pizza is calling me.

I'll do ground chicken tacos and a shake later to compensate.

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
I need to remember to pack an English muffin and some PB. I had my shake at 8:30 and was onto my apple and some grapes at 10. Now I'm waiting for noon-ish to hit so I can have lunch.

I don't know if it's the morning workouts, that I'm a PMSy beast, or a combination, but I am FAMISHED.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
I need to remember to pack an English muffin and some PB. I had my shake at 8:30 and was onto my apple and some grapes at 10. Now I'm waiting for noon-ish to hit so I can have lunch.

I don't know if it's the morning workouts, that I'm a PMSy beast, or a combination, but I am FAMISHED.

The school I work at is very strict about not letting the kids eat in the classroom, but I'm a big believer that if you're hungry, you can't function and you can't pay attention to what's going on.

We as a society need to move away from this idea of three square meals a day.
In a country filled with diabetics, we should be preaching frequent, small meals from a young age.

BergyDGD

Rock Chalk Jayhawk
Jun 25, 2007
City of Champions,MA
My first time posting in this thread, maybe I can get some motivation or direction. I'm a having a hard time getting in shape. I'm not particularly overweight (5'9" 165) but years of inactivity have completely shot my lung capacity (I was born premature so I have BPD and scarring on my lungs so they've always been weaker than most). In high school I played sports all 3 season, even stayed active with pickup sports in college but as I hit 25 exercise and activity became more hard to come by. I'd like to get in shape to join a soccer league or something to get active but have to build my wind back up. In recommendations on things I can do to get wind back up. I'm now 30 and it feels like a big hill to climb.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
My first time posting in this thread, maybe I can get some motivation or direction. I'm a having a hard time getting in shape. I'm not particularly overweight (5'9" 165) but years of inactivity have completely shot my lung capacity (I was born premature so I have BPD and scarring on my lungs so they've always been weaker than most). In high school I played sports all 3 season, even stayed active with pickup sports in college but as I hit 25 exercise and activity became more hard to come by. I'd like to get in shape to join a soccer league or something to get active but have to build my wind back up. In recommendations on things I can do to get wind back up. I'm now 30 and it feels like a big hill to climb.

Welcome!:handclap:

I would suggest (after you talk with your doctor first, I definitely recommend that with your medical history) that you start with walking. When I started walking in 1996 at 33 I was so out of shape it took me half an hour to walk 1/3rd of a mile and I was sucking wind like you can't believe. Now I can do a mile in about 25 minutes and I"m not winded at all.

IMO since you haven't exercised in awhile start off gently your body will thank you for it. Try to be consistent but don't beat yourself if you're not out there every day.

Good luck!!! :)

schmautzy

Feb 22, 2010

This is my first time posting in this thread too.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH

I played sports through middle school then stopped.

In my junior and senior year in high school into college, I was overweight.

When I first started getting back on the horse, I did nothing but the elliptical and light machine weights for 30 minutes a day every day for a year.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Anyone can have a good day, a good week or a good month of going to the gym and eating healthy.

It's when "life happens", the nagging injuries, the crappy weather and shorter days happen that you become tested.

If you have a bad day and slip, miss a day or eat like crap, put it in its place and move forward.

Amen.

The last time I went to the doctor he was a new one and made me fill out paperwork. He came in and said "You forgot to fill out the medications taken page.". I said I don't take anything and he was shocked. He said it's not often he gets a 48 year old male not on anything. That to me was incredibly sad.

We only have one body. I'm not saying you should be an Olympic athlete, but take care of it to the best of your ability.

BruinsFan64

Sep 17, 2009

I agree, one bad day does not ruin all your hard work. It's when you let one bad day turn into a bad week then a bad month. It's hard, especially in the Winter, but you have to stay strong and dedicated. The good thing is once you get into a groove and see results, your drive to stick to it or get back on track seems stronger.

For us hockey fans (or anyone who watches TV really) , if you cannot get to the gym, get some bands or dumbbells and work out at home as you watch the game or your favorite show.

Sometimes we have to improvise to stay on track.

As the holidays approach, you can still enjoy the holiday foods you like but it's all about moderation.

Just keep your goals in sight.

BruinsFan64

Sep 17, 2009

Try to add more fiber to your diet. It will keep you fuller longer, especially if you combine it with enough water.

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
For us hockey fans (or anyone who watches TV really) , if you cannot get to the gym, get some bands or dumbbells and work out at home as you watch the game or your favorite show.

This. And if you're looking to change things up, can't afford or don't have the space for equipment, simply alternate sets of pushups and situps during commercial breaks. There are certainly enough of them during tv shows, movies and football games in particular. You'd be surprised at the results from such basic exercises.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
I totally agree about flexibility.

I've been almost too structured to the point where I'd get anxious over vacations and missing a day or a few of the gym.

It's not the end of the world, and in fact it's good to take a week off a couple of times a year.
I compromise and at least work in a run.

As far as medication, it has everything to do with the society we live in.
We are reactive in treating illnesses.
We should be proactive and focus on preventing the issues before they happen.

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX

Cycling is good to build cardio/stamina. However, depending on where you ride it can be dangerous.

How about jump rope? It keeps the mind stimulated as well as the heart, and it's easy to gauge progress. When some people start, they are amazed how winded they are after only a short while jumping. That time can be increased gradually, as can speed. And there's an unending array of cool trick moves to learn.

My first jump rope cost $2.50 and it was great. I've moved up to a faster, adjustable one, but even then, it's only $15.

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
Just bought my second pair of Saucony Kinvara's.

I wore the first pair into the ground.

They're pretty minimal in terms of cushion.

For me, the more cushioning the better. I generally go with the Nike Vomero or Pegasus lines which already have a lot of cushioning, then add a gel insert.

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
I was running in Aasics for a few years but they changed the toe box and I think got heavier. When I started marathon training I got a pair of Nike Zoom Pegasus 33s and I love them. It's like your feet are being carressed by angels.

I second the cycling recommendation to get started, if you can find some spin classss. Low impact and can go at your own pace.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
I was running in Aasics for a few years but they changed the toe box and I think got heavier. When I started marathon training I got a pair of Nike Zoom Pegasus 33s and I love them. It's like your feet are being carressed by angels.

I second the cycling recommendation to get started, if you can find some spin classss. Low impact and can go at your own pace.

Now that's funny!

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
For me, the more cushioning the better. I generally go with the Nike Vomero or Pegasus lines which already have a lot of cushioning, then add a gel insert.

See, I had the Nikes and it felt like I was running on pillows stuffed with sponges.

I have Merrill trail running shoes and they're like wearing cleats in terms of the grip, but I feel every rock I run over.

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
Starting your day with a good workout is honestly the best feeling.

Why did I wait 33 (ok, almost 34) years to do this?

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
Just bought my second pair of Saucony Kinvara's.

I wore the first pair into the ground.

They're pretty minimal in terms of cushion.

we have won this softball tourney the past 3 years, and the winning team gets a voucher for free kicks at New Balance. Past 3 years Ive bought the $320 made in US sneakers. Nothing better for me. So comfortable and they come in my size 15s.

Pair I always bought before that were the Nike air max 95s

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
we have won this softball tourney the past 3 years, and the winning team gets a voucher for free kicks at New Balance. Past 3 years Ive bought the $320 made in US sneakers. Nothing better for me. So comfortable and they come in my size 15s.

Pair I always bought before that were the Nike air max 95s

Yeah, shoes are definitely something that you don't want to cheap out on.

You wear them every day of your life and having bad shoes can mess with your back etc.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad