OT: Health and Fitness Thread ‎III

Dueling Banjos

Oct 29, 2014
Uphill sprints, Tabata style today. It always surprises me how quickly you run out of gas if you do short but 'going all out' intervals with even shorter pauses between.

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
So middle of last month I decided I had had enough of being overweight, and decided to do something about it. So I decided to try Nutrisystem, and it's actually working. I have lost 17 pounds so far, and am hopeful for many more. I'm trying to add cardio in as I can, but I'm not having much success. I hope to get better at it as time goes on. But for now, I'm excited about the progress I'm making with my weight.

Reactions: GoBs

SpeedyLazaro

Sponsor
Sep 30, 2008
Boston
I'm getting shoulder surgery next month.. torn rotator cuff and bicep tendon from playing puck. I've been on the shelf since March and have pushed the surgery out so that I wouldn't spend my whole summer in a sling. I'm basically pain free and can live normally and even do fun stuff with my right arm, but I can't do anything overly strenuous or anything fast twitch.

I trained for and did a 50 mile bike ride back in May and June, but have been pretty lazy the month of July.

I hate running and couldn't really figure out what to do while my gym membership is on injury hold.

whelp.... I have surrendered and have found myself doing something that I never ever would have thought.... I'm MOTHER****ING Soul Cycling! ... it takes every bit of my being to be humble and take this ridiculous class. I must say though, the scenery is TOP SHELF

I went from a Heavyweight Lowell Golden Gloves fighter to a 3 night a week bear leaguer to a friggin soul cycle attendee... uggggg :(

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
So middle of last month I decided I had had enough of being overweight, and decided to do something about it. So I decided to try Nutrisystem, and it's actually working. I have lost 17 pounds so far, and am hopeful for many more. I'm trying to add cardio in as I can, but I'm not having much success. I hope to get better at it as time goes on. But for now, I'm excited about the progress I'm making with my weight.

Good job.

I am no expert, so take this with the requisite grain of salt, but IMO, just about any diet/weight loss plan will work up to a point. Whether it's Nutrisystem, Weight Watchers, even the infamous Ice Cream diet, (where you could have a small dish of ice cream each evening after dinner). I'm not advocating starting any quack diet, but if you are trying something that involves monitoring caloric intake, maximizing "good" foods, and portion control...how are you not going to lose weight and be better off?

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
My vacation regimen rules. In bed at 2am, up at 9am. Gym at like noon. Eating like a pig, napping, weight is still hanging at the same level.

I'm back on vacation for this week and next.

Yesterday, I did arms and back, then did an afternoon boxing workout.

Today, it was legs (pushed harder than usual) and then a six mile trail run.

I work out harder on vacation, but I also tend to snack more because of the down time.
I need to stay away from the ice cream and popcorn.

Think I'm going to just replace the ice cream with peanut butter straight from the jar.
The organic stuff is so sticky that I can't possible devour it quickly.

Hovering around 165, but I'd like to get up to 175 without it going straight to my hips.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
I'm back on vacation for this week and next.

Yesterday, I did arms and back, then did an afternoon boxing workout.

Today, it was legs (pushed harder than usual) and then a six mile trail run.

I work out harder on vacation, but I also tend to snack more because of the down time.
I need to stay away from the ice cream and popcorn.

Think I'm going to just replace the ice cream with peanut butter straight from the jar.
The organic stuff is so sticky that I can't possible devour it quickly.

Hovering around 165, but I'd like to get up to 175 without it going straight to my hips.

Rest dude! It does a body good!

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
I think I've come to the conclusion that I just enjoy food too much to lose any more significant weight. And I'm oddly ok with it.

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
Dog days of summer - supposed to hit triple digits today for the first time this year. I can deal with that much better in late July than I can in late May.

Just to change things up I've been doing a reverse lunge on my leg day; I had been doing the normal forward lunge. I find it hits the muscles really well and is very challenging balance wise.

I've been working with the barbell since the beginning of the year, and have had nice strength gains. My legs have gotten much stronger, and I find my struggle with the dead lift is more in grip strength; and my upper back/shoulders seem more sore from the barbell after squatting than my legs. So as I continue to improve those areas, I think I have even more room for improvement.

That being said I look exactly the same, and I'm OK with that. Building muscle is difficult for me, but I'm definitely stronger, healthier, and happy. That's what counts!

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
At my thinnest, I was down to a size 30 and 155 lbs.

I was a rail, though.

Been at at 32 for over a year now.

Ideally, I'd like to keep the gains and trim the waist up.
The live handles run in the family.

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
At my thinnest, I was down to a size 30 and 155 lbs.

I was a rail, though.

Been at at 32 for over a year now.

Ideally, I'd like to keep the gains and trim the waist up.
The live handles run in the family.

I haven't been 155 lbs since 6th grade.

Although when I was a senior in HS, I did cut weight for wrestling to make 167 for a couple of weeks.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH

Although when I was a senior in HS, I did cut weight for wrestling to make 167 for a couple of weeks.

I stopped playing sports my junior and senior year, but kept eating microwave popcorn and playing video games.

I also worked in a pizza place.

Got up to close to 200 freshman year of college.
I'm only 5' 9"" so it was a chunky 200.

Kovi

Feb 11, 2007
In those days I was 102 lbs...but anemic as hell. Chronic health issues didnt allow me to gain weight--BOOM, medication....60 pounds later. Oh yeah..then that thing called divorce.

I'm down 6 lbs with plant based eating. love it, love the food. Ate "regular" food last night at a family thing. I was so unimpressed, havent missed it.

*You guys should see Glove...he looks phenomenal. :handclap::nod:

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
I stopped playing sports my junior and senior year, but kept eating microwave popcorn and playing video games.

I also worked in a pizza place.

Got up to close to 200 freshman year of college.
I'm only 5' 9"" so it was a chunky 200.

I played football at about 210, so getting to 167 was quite a feat. At 6'1", I was really skinny, considering my 154 in 6th grade was at about 5'4"...I actually graduated college around 210 as well, mostly because I needed to be there for my aviation billet. Since then, it's been nothing but struggles (mostly losing ones). I can see this current course being a game changer for me though (I am sure hoping).

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005

im 6'3" and i was under 200 three years ago after i had the stomach bug for 4 days.
since then im usually always around 210.

summertime i always weigh less just because if its too hot i dont really eat much except for fruit. only time i pig out is if someone is having a bbq.

i also only play hockey once a week. if i played baseball and hockey 5 days a week like i used to id like to see what weight id be at. i know id be divorced. thats fo sure.

i know after one game of roller hockey in the summer i drop 4-5 pounds of water weight per game

Nate Mookie

Sep 13, 2008
Hanson, MA
Picked up a new piece of equipment yesterday: A cybex lat pullover machine

jzb8TrU.jpg

Basement gym's coming along nicely, if I do say so myself...

bMzG1Pw.jpg

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad