OT: Health and Fitness Thread ‎III

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
Same here.
But this last week I took off I had to build an 10x8 shed and we built a firewood shed during the week.

This was all with a 4 year old running around. The whole week, I had some breakfast. Then I probably didnt eat food again until maybe 7pm. Think I only drank water and beer during the day. First time I ever lost weight during a vacation.

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
Just to change things up, I went back to dumbbells for leg day yesterday. I did squats, dead lifts, and single leg Romanian dead lifts with dumbbells. (I also did the ever-controversial leg extensions on the machine.)

It was less weight than I usually load on a bar, but it seems to hit the legs differently, as I can certainly feel them today.

I also bought a 10 lb. medicine ball I want to try some core exercises with.

I monitor body weight but don't have goals in that regard. I'm staying very hydrated in the heat, so my weight is up later in the day. So anyone wanting to lose weight, just get on the scale first thing in the morning. ;)

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Did a 4 mile trail race this morning.

We were supposed to go to a concert tonight and it was canceled so doing a night owl 15k.
The goal is to start any time after 9:30 and finish as close to after midnight as possible.

Definitely stopping at McDonald's on the way home.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Leg day and I'm taking a moment to reflect on all of the progress I've made this summer.

Feeling physically stronger and healthier than I ever have.

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
I've fallen off the wagon. Badly.

It's been a very hard summer. My mother in law has been failing health-wise, and finally passed away about a week and a half ago. My inlaws are a large Italian family, so it's been non-stop food and get together. We were actually on vacation when she passed, so took some time this week to try and have some kind of fun and relax a bit before going back to work. I've been so tired, mentally, emotionally, and physically, that is been a lot of laying around and I haven't had energy for anything. I haven't been eating well. I haven't been working out. In addition to my mother in law there have been some things going on with my own mother simultaneously that has just knocked me down. A friend of mine said she didn't understand how I wasn't in the looney bin after the last 10 days haha.

I've been having a pity party and have been beating myself up for letting myself go. All told, I'm up probably 10 lbs from my lowest weight last spring/summer (not just from the past week, it's slowly been creeping on since the end of marathon training), but the worst part is how lethargic I feel and how down I feel on myself. Lbs can come off, but the in your head stuff is harder. I thought I had moved on from emotional eating, at least made progress on that, but it turns out it's really easy to slide back to old habits.

I'm just kind of letting myself be where I am right now. Mostly because I feel lost and don't know what else to do, but also because if I go all out and start restricting food and making myself workout like crazy, it will be something I fail at and will send me even deeper into a tailspin.

I'm going back to work post-bereavement/vacation/vacation do-over on Friday, and I know getting back into a routine will help immensely. Once I'm back, I'm going to work on making a plan to set myself up for success and start making small changes again to get myself where I need to be. Getting back to working out, eating/cooking at home, and not eating every carb and sweet that crosses my path.

This **** is hard. Really, really, really hard. I'm incredibly envious of people that don't have food and body image issues. It's all-consuming and can be crippling and exhausting.

It hasn't been a great summer. Family stuff and being incredibly overscheduled has just worn me out emotionally, mentally, and physically. It doesn't help that my husband is an energizer bunny and could just go go go go go with no mind paid, so i also feel guilty about needong downtime that he doesn't need which adds to the mental and emotional drain.

The mental and emotional aspect of weight loss and exercise isn't talked about nearly enough, IMO. It's such a big part of the game.

I'm ready for fall, and I need an energy shift.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Truer words have never been spoken, Kate.

I've told my story in the OT thread, so won't repeat it here.
However, it absolutely impacts mental, physical and emotional health.
I've been using adversity as motivation. There are a lot of things in my life that I feel little to no control over, so I'm focused on what I can control.

I'm right there with you when it comes to body image.
There's the version of me I see in the mirror, the version I see in photos and the version everyone else sees.
I still see the chubby high school kid a lot of the time.

I definitely have some issues when it comes to fixating in things and "tunnel vision" so I've tried to channel those in positive ways.

There is no magical solution. We all have our skeletons in the closet.
That much I'm sure of.

Hang in there.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
I've fallen off the wagon. Badly.

It's been a very hard summer. My mother in law has been failing health-wise, and finally passed away about a week and a half ago. My inlaws are a large Italian family, so it's been non-stop food and get together. We were actually on vacation when she passed, so took some time this week to try and have some kind of fun and relax a bit before going back to work. I've been so tired, mentally, emotionally, and physically, that is been a lot of laying around and I haven't had energy for anything. I haven't been eating well. I haven't been working out. In addition to my mother in law there have been some things going on with my own mother simultaneously that has just knocked me down. A friend of mine said she didn't understand how I wasn't in the looney bin after the last 10 days haha.

I've been having a pity party and have been beating myself up for letting myself go. All told, I'm up probably 10 lbs from my lowest weight last spring/summer (not just from the past week, it's slowly been creeping on since the end of marathon training), but the worst part is how lethargic I feel and how down I feel on myself. Lbs can come off, but the in your head stuff is harder. I thought I had moved on from emotional eating, at least made progress on that, but it turns out it's really easy to slide back to old habits.

I'm just kind of letting myself be where I am right now. Mostly because I feel lost and don't know what else to do, but also because if I go all out and start restricting food and making myself workout like crazy, it will be something I fail at and will send me even deeper into a tailspin.

I'm going back to work post-bereavement/vacation/vacation do-over on Friday, and I know getting back into a routine will help immensely. Once I'm back, I'm going to work on making a plan to set myself up for success and start making small changes again to get myself where I need to be. Getting back to working out, eating/cooking at home, and not eating every carb and sweet that crosses my path.

This **** is hard. Really, really, really hard. I'm incredibly envious of people that don't have food and body image issues. It's all-consuming and can be crippling and exhausting.

It hasn't been a great summer. Family stuff and being incredibly overscheduled has just worn me out emotionally, mentally, and physically. It doesn't help that my husband is an energizer bunny and could just go go go go go with no mind paid, so i also feel guilty about needong downtime that he doesn't need which adds to the mental and emotional drain.

The mental and emotional aspect of weight loss and exercise isn't talked about nearly enough, IMO. It's such a big part of the game.

I'm ready for fall, and I need an energy shift.

Give yourself a break,regroup and get back on the horse,maybe try to accept yourself, as is, a little more. I don't have body image issues,but I have legitimately serious health concerns and I fail a lot. Presently,I'm doing 24 hour fasts,on my 5th consecutive. I eat at 5PM and not again til 5 tomorrow,not for weight loss,but for glucose controil,insidious inflammation reduction and all the other health benefits of fasting. My goal is to do 20 this month,but I'll accept a failure or 2 and try again tomorrow,the war is not over.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Give yourself a break,regroup and get back on the horse,maybe try to accept yourself, as is, a little more. I don't have body image issues,but I have legitimately serious health concerns and I fail a lot. Presently,I'm doing 24 hour fasts,on my 5th consecutive. I eat at 5PM and not again til 5 tomorrow,not for weight loss,but for glucose controil,insidious inflammation reduction and all the other health benefits of fasting. My goal is to do 20 this month,but I'll accept a failure or 2 and try again tomorrow,the war is not over.

I've been doing 14 hour fasts. No food between 9PM and 11AM. My situation isn't bad, it's just something I'm trying after reading a few things about the benefits of interment fasting. I've been a notorious late night snacker/eater and while it was hard at first, I've noticed some benefits. Getting up in the morning is easier, I sleep better, my weight doesn't yo-yo, etc etc.

Good luck with your situation... keep fighting!

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
I've been doing 14 hour fasts. No food between 9PM and 11AM. My situation isn't bad, it's just something I'm trying after reading a few things about the benefits of interment fasting. I've been a notorious late night snacker/eater and while it was hard at first, I've noticed some benefits. Getting up in the morning is easier, I sleep better, my weight doesn't yo-yo, etc etc.

Good luck with your situation... keep fighting!

There is anecdotal evidence of tremendous benefits of fasting. Duration is argued, Fasting has been linked to shrinking tumors (essentially starving them) reversing coronary plaque,reversing brain plaque,resting the digestive system,resetting the entire nervous system,shortening flu and colds etc. We're an overindulgent culture,fasting for spiritual or health reasons is a good thing. I'd love to attempt a 30 day water fast.........

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010

Giving myself a break and trying to Accept myself no matter where I'm at is absolutely what I need to do. I'm working on it, but man is it hard.

Hang in there with your health issues. I know how passionate you are, and how much knowledge you have. Amazing how much time and effort you put into educating yourself. Thanks for always being willing to share.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Giving myself a break and trying to Accept myself no matter where I'm at is absolutely what I need to do. I'm working on it, but man is it hard.

Hang in there with your health issues. I know how passionate you are, and how much knowledge you have. Amazing how much time and effort you put into educating yourself. Thanks for always being willing to share.

So kind,I know I can be caustic and intrusive but I truly almost lost my life by listening to AMA bound MDs and I was also a workout guy. So we live and learn and I try to share,as I thought fitness equaled health. I no longer can work out or play sports so athletic fitness is out,and health is in. As I've said before,they are largely unrelated but can be achieved in great symmetry. I have tremendous discipline at times,like you, but I fail more than I like,but I just eventually begin again. That's what you will do,begin again,I'm sure of it.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
The key is not to beat yourself up about any of it. Yes admit you've fallen off the wagon lately and you need to get back on but don't constantly berate yourself that just puts you into a downward spiral.

No matter how many times you fall off the important thing is to stand up brush yourself off and get.back.on.

I fully understand the emotional eating issue I still struggle with it and I have accepted that I always will. Instead of alcohol or drugs I have used food to kill or ease my pain, unhappiness, whatever. It is something I have to guard against and when the urge hits I literally have to remind myself that I am not hungry something else is eating at me and I need to deal with it.

So everybody just keep up the good fight this is a lifetime journey.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Bison, chicken, salmon my diet these days

Can't wait till the return of pizza, peanut butter jelly, and cheese burgers with sautéed onions

Mmmmm

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
There is anecdotal evidence of tremendous benefits of fasting. Duration is argued, Fasting has been linked to shrinking tumors (essentially starving them) reversing coronary plaque,reversing brain plaque,resting the digestive system,resetting the entire nervous system,shortening flu and colds etc. We're an overindulgent culture,fasting for spiritual or health reasons is a good thing. I'd love to attempt a 30 day water fast.........

All about balance so I'm against fasting

Body needs to know what's coming

High fiber to starch carbs

Protein

Moderation is key

I dated a woman who was a nutritionist in college and we made a pact you teach me about nutrition and I'll teach you how to olease a man

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
All about balance so I'm against fasting

Body needs to know what's coming

High fiber to starch carbs

Protein

Moderation is key

I dated a woman who was a nutritionist in college and we made a pact you teach me about nutrition and I'll teach you how to olease a man

I had Dr. Caldwell Esselstyn (author of Reversing Heart Disease) at the Cleveland Clinic tell me that "Moderation Kills". 6 months later my chest was cut open.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnJTwUkl75I

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
Two (well three) words I'm seeing a lot - 'body image' and 'fasting.'

My suggestion would be to also consider fasting from what is causing body image issues, which in most cases is media, both mainstream and social.

I struggled with it, have conquered it, and this is a tad embarrassing. But if it helps anyone, I'll share.

I first got into fitness 5 years ago, when I took up cycling to attract a woman, who was an avid cyclist. It worked, and we had a great 4 year relationship.

Prior to that, I couldn't have cared less about physical appearance. I wasn't bad, but I wasn't great.

Outside of sports, I don't watch television/movies and more or less avoid Facebook, Instagram, etc.

But with a girlfriend now, she would plan evenings around movies, often chick flicks (which I didn't mind).

But after the movies ended, I'd feel totally inadequate (I'm on the skinny side and not muscular). This sucked me into finding ways I could 'fix' myself.

Of course once that insecurity is there, there are countless industries ready to sell me all the solutions to my problems - pills, powders, diets, DVD's, etc. And they love catchphrases we can obsess over - did anyone even use the terms 'six pack abs' or 'thigh gap' back in the 70's? Not that I recall.

I finally told the girlfriend no more movies for me. She lamented it was something we no longer could do together, but it was necessary for me.

And I think for women social media is even worse. The mainstream media seems to rarely feature traditionally 'beautiful' women anymore; but Instagram is filled with 'everyday' women flaunting their bodies to endless clicks.

When I'm out in the real world, I rarely if ever see 'perfect' people. I see all shapes and sizes, all enjoying life.

I was at the Astros game last Wednesday and it was dollar (hot)dog night. I wasn't about to worry about calories, body image, and it was great seeing kids and families enjoying a night together at the ballgame; and I'm not about to beat myself up over all the dogs I consumed!

So my suggestion - make wise decisions, be healthy, but enjoy life. And realize that there is a source to body image issues. You can fast from that more easily than you can fast from food, which you need to survive.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005

I would love to try the 30 day water fast.
I always wanted to get on one of those survivor type shows, just for that reason.
But being around food all the time, it would never happen here. Id have to quitmy job and build houses for a living. Then I could see myself just living on water for a month.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
I would love to try the 30 day water fast.
I always wanted to get on one of those survivor type shows, just for that reason.
But being around food all the time, it would never happen here. Id have to quitmy job and build houses for a living. Then I could see myself just living on water for a month.

I wouldn't do it unless I was being supervised,and they do have fasting centers in the US,with remarkable results for all kinds of ailments. Basically,the body is equipped to heal,and we get in the way with all kinds of drugs and faulty diets etc.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I wouldn't do it unless I was being supervised,and they do have fasting centers in the US,with remarkable results for all kinds of ailments. Basically,the body is equipped to heal,and we get in the way with all kinds of drugs and faulty diets etc.

Apple a day diet (candy ones on Halloween)

I pretty much eat a Granny Smith apple at 3 in afternoon every day ~ certainly 80% of the time but closer to 100; fiber based carbs

I also eat 2-3 eggs every morning between 9-10 a.m. usually scrambled but occasionally mix up ~ great protein early

I like coffee but generally use a little cream no sugar

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce