GDT: Hawks vs Devils: 6PM CT on NBCSNCH--Battle of the Former 1sts

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrianE

Dec 29, 2014
WI
So I woke up sick and called off work (Throwing up for some reason)

And then I turn on NHL Network to see Hawks score and WTF

This team isn't as talented as people want to believe , is in crapper cap wise , has several players who are no longer capable of playing at high level and when Crawford isn't playing like god they are doomed

Was there any positives? How did Forsling and Debrincat look?

Forsling and Debrincat were our bright spots, the rest meh. Edit: Schmaltz and Rutta were very good as well.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Hartman was scratched tonight? Doubt it was much of a difference

Has been awful outside of maybe two games this year

Easily one of the most disappointing Hawks this season

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
I'm not happy. So should I be annoyed or sad and just accept our fate this year? If we're going to be mediocre ... is there any way Bowman can fix this cap mess THIS YEAR?

kuzy

Mar 31, 2012
St. Charles, IL

This team isn't as talented as people want to believe , is in crapper cap wise , has several players who are no longer capable of playing at high level and when Crawford isn't playing like god they are doomed

Ahh, feel better soon!

Also it's probably for the best that you missed this nausea-inducing game :D

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
I'm not happy. So should I be annoyed or sad and just accept our fate this year? If we're going to be mediocre ... is there any way Bowman can fix this cap mess THIS YEAR?

You mean the mess he created?

Considering the three biggest cap mistakes are all untradeable at this point (Or close to it) ,, Nope

No one will take Seabrook (Who has NMC as well) , Hawks wont trade Toews and at best Murphy would land us a Scuderi type on multi year deal

Our cap situation is very dire honestly

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014

DeBrincat scored off a beauty pass by Schmaltz. He looked good tonight. So did Forsling.

Schmaltz had his best game since his concussion. Looked faster than anybody and he Datsyuk'd the puck from Hall in the neutral zone, and made that pass on Brinksy's goal.

A few brain farts from the team (especially #7) and Crow having an off night did us in. Hawks looked like the better team for most of tonight.

Reactions: Robsker

Rolo

Aug 9, 2011
In the grand scheme of things, hino and Kempny are not going to turn this team around.

It all starts with Q then the "stars" - toews, kane, keith, Saad to produce.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
In the grand scheme of things, hino and Kempny are not going to turn this team around.

It all starts with Q then the "stars" - toews, kane, keith, Saad to produce.
Their presence won't turn this team to legit contenders, but it'll help slow the bleeding. And having a fast, energetic guy like Vinny on this roster can help pump up the others.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Schmaltz and Debrincat are good together.

Kane and Debincat are good together.

Kane and Schmaltz are good together.

....am I missing something, or is this really as ****ing simple as it appears?

Reactions: Blue Liner

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
Schmaltz and Debrincat are good together.

Kane and Debincat are good together.

Kane and Schmaltz are good together.

....am I missing something, or is this really as ****ing simple as it appears?

But they lack the tenacity, sandpaper, and grit that only a player like Lance Bouma can provide. I was shocked at how brash Q was about Hinostroza but then I remember Rozi was 2nd for toi among our Dmen for 3-4 games in that STL series so I go back to being not surprised.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Why the hell do you have to post those JD? We know what he did, we watched the game. It's not like any of us are defending Seabrook. He's been average to really f***ing bad this season. Posting clips of his gaffes is just salt in our wounds.

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
Why the hell do you have to post those JD? We know what he did, we watched the game. It's not like any of us are defending Seabrook. He's been average to really ****ing bad this season. Posting clips of his gaffes is just salt in our wounds.

At least no one made a compilation of how Seabrook subtly hurts the Hawks like some Ranger fan did for Giradi. That said you can easily make a 20 minute long video of clips just from this season in regards to seabrook

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
At least no one made a compilation of how Seabrook subtly hurts the Hawks like some Ranger fan did for Giradi. That said you can easily make a 20 minute long video of clips just from this season in regards to seabrook

Brent Seabrook has gone beyond the 'full Girardi'.

kuzy

Mar 31, 2012
St. Charles, IL

Brent Seabrook sucks at hockey.

Shades of rundblad. That last one especially.
TfAwaJk.gif

Never forget

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
The game of no D and lucky bounces towards the net... it happens.

Something is wrong, yet not sure what it is. Lack of proven vets after losing 3 key pieces in Hossa, Hjalmarsson and Krüger or Q running out of his time with this Team. Not sure how to fix it, but it is fixable.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
The game of no D and lucky bounces towards the net... it happens.

Something is wrong, yet not sure what it is. Lack of proven vets after losing 3 key pieces in Hossa, Hjalmarsson and Krüger or Q running out of his time with this Team. Not sure how to fix it, but it is fixable.

Hjalmarsson is the obvious one, though given how bad he's been in ARZ this season, I'm not sure current Hammer helps this team much more than current Murphy.

The big ones for me are Hossa and Kruger.

Now that the Blackhawks 4th line is pretty much just your average scrub 4th line playing 8min or less against other scrubs, it offers zero positive domino effect up the lineup. Lines 2 and 3 have seen their QoC and NZS% and DZS% increased. They're having a really tough time handling it.

Hossa and Kruger were two guys Q could throw out to suppress shots and flip the ice. He doesn't have anybody like that now outside the 1st line. He tried moving Saad to Kane's line to help him out, it didn't work.

This last game aside, our top line players have been our best players overall this season. It's lines 2 and 3 not filling in the vacuum behind the bullet, so to speak, that's leading to a major drop off in offense. If Saad, Toews and Panik are going to keep turning opposing top lines into mulch on possession most nights (though not every night, clearly), then the guys behind them have to take advantage of that. But they're not, and IMO, it's not disinterest as much as simple difficulty.

And this is all in addition to a defense that sucks at shot suppression and is handcuffed by the system as far as transition.

Lots of problems. Some fixable, but some probably not without additions. But I don't believe those additions should be made, cause I think with patience we're as likely to get them from within the organization without giving up any assets.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
I think those changes should be made. I don't see any Player within the Organisation Fixing it. All of them are on the NHL Roster already.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
I think those changes should be made. I don't see any Player within the Organisation Fixing it. All of them are on the NHL Roster already.

I didn't mean they'd fill those roles this season.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
i left at the beginning of the 2nd period, so i do not have visual opinion on what the score is. however i looked up the game stat box score. i also looked at which players had a negative on their +/- column. considering who came away with the negative and compared it to the points they provided, this difference is really a revelation on what is wrong with the Bhawks.

so the question is, was this an example of lack of defense during the game ?? was this an example of bad goal-tending ?? lastly i do not want to point the finger at the coaching, but is this really Q's fault ??

migi

Feb 25, 2015
I don't get why some posters thrash Murphy so much. He hasnt been awful or excellent, he has been pretty much okey/solid.

The thing is: he is not playing regularly and not getting trust from Q and as of now, he is #5 Dman which is fine. I don't know what people are expecting, but if somebody thinks he is next young Seabrook or something like that, c'mon.

His current play vs caphit is maybe $1 or $1,5m overpriced. I think eventually he will be worth of his contract but given Seabrooks poor play, Franson is not top-pairing Dman and our only RD which is somewhat good (Rutta), people measure Murphy wrong way.

If we had Trouba and not Seabrook, Murphy would be getting a lot more hype here. He is playing as good #5, and will be solid #4.

Backyard Hockey

Dealing With It
Feb 13, 2015
I am not forgetting them.

Panik's production is tied to Saad and Toews. He does not and shouldn't be the one to drive that line. He is making the right plays and playing hard so there is not an issue there.

Sharp was meh but he is a vet minimum guy on the 4th line?

You are wrong about Murphy. He steps up when he should, can skate the puck, has a good first pas, has solid gap play, and is positionally fine in his zone. He fits the new NHL but not Q's outdated system. It is an absolute joke that Kemeny and Murphy are not playing more. Pairings are obvious but Q refuses or doesn't see them.

2-5
42-44
6-11 (Kemeny's speed covers for Franson's lack of speed)

Other than him not being able to hold on to his stick, what was your issue with Forsberg? That goal was not weak and our D let Wood just ram it home. They must physically engage him there. He looks bad? Explain.

My issue with Forsberg is what we all saw - dude was flopping around like fish out of water. The word I would use is 'unsettled' - he just looks unsettled in net and flops around a lot. Also, his stickwork/passing needs a lot of work. He played on puck and sent it to the boards on the right and gave it right to a NJ skater.

Backyard Hockey

Dealing With It
Feb 13, 2015
Forsling and Debrincat were our bright spots, the rest meh. Edit: Schmaltz and Rutta were very good as well.

Rutta was good offensively, but I believe he was on the ice for a number of NJ's 428 goals last night. I'd have to watch again.

DeBrincat was very good - he also missed some chance including that wide open net where he couldn't elevate. That will come.

It was obvious though - Schmaltz was the best Hawk on the ice last night. Not sure what it was, but he was light years better than other games. I think maybe the pressure of not playing center is helping him and not stressing over his 38% FO work. Although I did see him take a few face offs. His backcheck/steal of Hall and pass to Cat on that goal was a thing of beauty. DatsyukHossa-esque.

Reactions: LDF
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad