Confirmed with Link: Habs sign Hayden Verbeek

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
He’s an overager and not even a PPG. Check Gallagher’s draft year stats
In no way on god Green earth is this guy comparable to Gallagher. Im not even sure he can be a Logan Shaw or Byron froese.
He has little to no upside

Yep Gallagher was a pretty solid junior player. Add two or three inches and he's likely drafted in the 2nd round. Verbeek is nowhere close to him.

In fact Gallagher was very close to make the team at 19 years old. He had a very good camp.

Reactions: Zorba

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Classic. Sign a no name player unlikely to ever make it in the NHL. A winger too? Clearly our missing piece at center. I'm glad Bergevin spent 4 months scouting him. Cause you know he did. He for sure did.

Honestly this guy is such a stupid ****ing idiot. I can't even appreciate a signing the team does anymore because he's so stupid that I hate everything he does. He's so stupid. So so stupid.

Anyone that trusts this guy, I wouldn't even trust them to change my tires.
Did he spend 4 actual months scouting him personally??

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Interesting, I was just reading about him, he came up twice on the OHL Coaches poll

Sounds a bit like Byron. If he develops into that in 2-3 years you'd have to be pretty happy. That said, Byron was more productive in his overage season so maybe that's wishful thinking.
The excuses on how bad he is are about tu pour in.....but if his name was Andre Verbeque, we’d be crucifying the GM if he wasn’t signed .......with the honour of being hardest worker and best skater I say why not

Last edited:

Zorba

May 26, 2011
DELTA BC
What top 6 player is available as an overage free agent?
None but verbeek is not deserving of an NHL contract.
I was expecting to see 100 pts but when I saw 61 pts and 20 years old I was like “why”
Did Bergevin play with his uncle? Did he owe pat verbeek a favour?

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Copy/paste of almost all Bergevin's moves.

Every NHL team makes moves like these.

I don't like Bergevin, but that criticism comes from

1) not acquiring a number 1 centre in six years
2) The subban trade.
3) the 2017 off-season.

Than it does from making these moves. Making these moves is some of the good stuff he does, occassionally a Charlie Lindgren, or Daniel Carr, or something comes out of it.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Zorba

May 26, 2011
DELTA BC
Every NHL team makes moves like these.

I don't like Bergevin, but that criticism comes from

1) not acquiring a number 1 centre in six years
2) The subban trade.
3) the 2017 off-season.

Than it does from making these moves. Making these moves is some of the good stuff he does, occassionally a Charlie Lindgren, or Daniel Carr, or something comes out of it.
Carr and lindgren had terrific stats In their last year of college. Verbeeks stats are average to say the least and he’s an overager.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
On the points issue, on a stacked team he didn't get a lot of PP time it seems.

From Friedmann 31 Thoughts: Will the Calgary Flames trade for a first-round pick? - Sportsnet.ca
4. Pat Verbeek’s nephew, Hayden, is closing in on signing with an NHL team. An undrafted free agent at OHL Sault Ste. Marie, Verbeek scored 30 goals this season — only one of which came on the power play. (Four were shorthanded.) He’s not a big man, but if he’s got the same DNA as his uncle, he’ll give it a good shot.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Why??
Overage player and not even a pt a game. What’s the point. Seriously
Carr and lindgren had terrific stats In their last year of college. Verbeeks stats are average to say the least and he’s an overager.

Stats need context.

Like I posted above... because he was on such a stacked team he got almost no PP time. He did however score a lot at ES and SH.

On a less stacked team, he would have been on the PP, and likely would be over a PPG.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Why would you sign Jake Evans when you can sign Hayden Verbeek?

Why wouldn't you sign both.

Evans can't even sign yet, unless he wants to skip playing the biggest college game or games of his career, as ND is in the frozen four.

Buzz5921

Mar 25, 2018
Laval Rocket need players, they have a bunch of players becoming Free Agents...Verbeek will be making $70,000 in the AHL, not sure what the problem is...it doesn't stop Bergevin from signing other players.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Laval Rocket need players, they have a bunch of players becoming Free Agents...Verbeek will be making $70,000 in the AHL, not sure what the problem is...it doesn't stop Bergevin from signing other players.

Bergevin is so hated, that people are going to criticize everything he does... even when it is a very minor move, and a positive one, like this is.

Nothing wrong with this move at all.

I don't like Bergevin, but we should save our outrage for his actual dumb moves.

Reactions: jaffy27

Fazkovsky

Sep 4, 2013
On the points issue, on a stacked team he didn't get a lot of PP time it seems.

From Friedmann 31 Thoughts: Will the Calgary Flames trade for a first-round pick? - Sportsnet.ca
4. Pat Verbeek’s nephew, Hayden, is closing in on signing with an NHL team. An undrafted free agent at OHL Sault Ste. Marie, Verbeek scored 30 goals this season — only one of which came on the power play. (Four were shorthanded.) He’s not a big man, but if he’s got the same DNA as his uncle, he’ll give it a good shot.

25 even strength goals jeez that’s not bad

c3z4r

Jul 4, 2011
in the world
Yep Gallagher was a pretty solid junior player. Add two or three inches and he's likely drafted in the 2nd round. Verbeek is nowhere close to him.

In fact Gallagher was very close to make the team at 19 years old. He had a very good camp.

I think Gally would have been a lottery pick if he was 5'11"- 6 feet tall. I might be completely off here, but I don't think many prospects score 40+ goals in their draft years, especially not gritty ones with his playstyle.

Marj44

Jun 17, 2015
Can’t believe the hate on this. As a Greyhound and Canadiens fan I think this is a great signing. Verbeek is one of the best penalty killers in the league, give 120% every shift, is the fastest guy on the ice and causes problems on the forecheck. The guy has improved his shot and is very smart in all 3 zones and good at the faceoff. He’s really improved his offensive game over the past 2 seasons (though he could probably keep improving it).
Verbeek is very very similar to Brendan Gallagher with less skill (for now). Give him a couple years in the AHL.

I know the Canadiens need a star at forward and they have too many 3/4 line guys (Thanks Bergevin), but this is a great signing.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I'm OK with signing this kind of player but as stated by others, it would have been far better perceived within the context of having signed more players that are actually filling glaring needs.

I'm left wondering who the big fish free agents are and how many of them are still available.

Reactions: jaffy27

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad