Confirmed with Link: Habs sign Hayden Verbeek

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Hey....to finish the night on a great note.....and I'M not changing my mind but....what if this proves that we are actually paying some attention to analytics? That's probably the best news out of that signing....;). Okay. Good night to all.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Saw him a few times this year with my OHL package through Cogeco. Good work ethic and decent scorer at the OHL level. Obviously undersized but has a good motor. Gallagher isn’t a great comparison but I suppose they’re similar in the sense that they’re small players with heart.

Doubt he’ll be an NHLer. Probably a bottom 6 AHL forward.

soo hound girl

Oct 20, 2017
That's okay. I consider an ATO like a signing. I just didn't hear or read about those two players.
I have been watching him play for the last 5 years and he give 110% every shift might not have the finish of a Kane but he has speed to burn. He usually is one of the 3 stars in every game and we have a lot of top drafted players don’t know if he will ever make the big show but I do wish him well

IcemanTBI

Apr 19, 2004
Land of Ice
Ok guys... Being from the soo and watching a ton of Soo Greyhound games, I can tell you that this is not a bad signing at all. He works hard, skates hard and has alot of upside. Does need to work on his puckhandling abilities and he does tend to give the puck away at times but this can be rectified. He does remind me of Gallagher as someone else mentioned. He's been overshadowed this year by the big guns on the hounds but it's a decent signing with a chance to pan out. Not saying he will work at the nhl level but then again no one can really know. See how he does in the AHL and then go from there. But it is IMHO a good gamble.

Reactions: Adam Michaels

ProspectsFanatic

Nov 13, 2012
Ok guys... Being from the soo and watching a ton of Soo Greyhound games, I can tell you that this is not a bad signing at all. He works hard, skates hard and has alot of upside. Does need to work on his puckhandling abilities and he does tend to give the puck away at times but this can be rectified. He does remind me of Gallagher as someone else mentioned. He's been overshadowed this year by the big guns on the hounds but it's a decent signing with a chance to pan out. Not saying he will work at the nhl level but then again no one can really know. See how he does in the AHL and then go from there. But it is IMHO a good gamble.

In the end though he is probably nothing more than a fringe NHLer at best which you can claim on waivers at anytime.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
I watched the Greyhounds only once this year but Verbeek really stood out to me with his speed and work ethic.. At worst we have a very nice AHLer for Laval, not a bad signing IMO.

The one who really stood out in this game was Morgan Frost though, by far the best player on the ice for both teams, the Flyers are really lucky to have a such prospect.. We will see which prospect end up with the best carreer between him and Poehling but what is sure , Frost is REALLY skilled! They probably got another Giroux with that pick..

Last edited:

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
Classic. Sign a no name player unlikely to ever make it in the NHL. A winger too? Clearly our missing piece at center. I'm glad Bergevin spent 4 months scouting him. Cause you know he did. He for sure did.

Honestly this guy is such a stupid f***ing idiot. I can't even appreciate a signing the team does anymore because he's so stupid that I hate everything he does. He's so stupid. So so stupid.

Anyone that trusts this guy, I wouldn't even trust them to change my tires.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Classic. Sign a no name player unlikely to ever make it in the NHL. A winger too? Clearly our missing piece at center. I'm glad Bergevin spent 4 months scouting him. Cause you know he did. He for sure did.

Honestly this guy is such a stupid ****ing idiot. I can't even appreciate a signing the team does anymore because he's so stupid that I hate everything he does. He's so stupid. So so stupid.

He's been Soo's second line center. Haytons been moved to Frosts wing.

Not defending the signing as he's the last of this years crop of undrafted players that I'd have signed, just correcting this little tidbit.

Interesting about the advanved stats and 5 on 5 stats. He does stand out when you see him as he's always on the puck and he's that much faster than most... but in the end the skill just isn't there.

soo hound girl

Oct 20, 2017

Honestly this guy is such a stupid ****ing idiot. I can't even appreciate a signing the team does anymore because he's so stupid that I hate everything he does. He's so stupid. So so stupid.

He is a centermen

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
what does Verbeek even have as a prospect? Is he a smart player? what's the skills? is he even a good athlete?

He's been voted one of the top 3 skaters and hardest workers in the league for 2 consecutive years. I can see him being an effective bottom 6 spark plug at the next level, as he really pushes the pace and is difficult to play against. The knock against him is size and scoring touch.

Video Coach

Sep 16, 2005
Interesting, I was just reading about him, he came up twice on the OHL Coaches poll

Best Skater
Eastern Conference
  1. Andrei Svechnikov, Barrie Colts (37 – 2018 NHL Draft Eligible)
  2. Ryan Moore, Hamilton Bulldogs (17)
  3. Ryan McLeod, Mississauga Steelheads (16 – 2018 NHL Draft Eligible, third last season)
Western Conference
  1. Alex Formenton, London Knights (34)
  2. Jordan Kyrou, Sarnia Sting (24 – third last year, T-3rd in 2015/16)
  3. Hayden Verbeek, SSM (12)

Hardest Worker
Eastern Conference
  1. Travis Barron, Ottawa 67’s (30)
  2. Brett Neumann, Kingston Frontenacs (14)
  3. Sam Miletic, Niagara IceDogs (13)
Western Conference
  1. Jonah Gadjovich, Owen Sound Attack (29 – third last year, T-2nd in 2015/16)
  2. Hayden Verbeek, Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds (27 – second last year, first in 2015/16)
  3. Cam Hillis, Guelph Storm (13 – 2018 NHL Draft Eligible)

Sounds a bit like Byron. If he develops into that in 2-3 years you'd have to be pretty happy. That said, Byron was more productive in his overage season so maybe that's wishful thinking.

Zorba

May 26, 2011
DELTA BC
He’s an overager and not even a PPG. Check Gallagher’s draft year stats
In no way on god Green earth is this guy comparable to Gallagher. Im not even sure he can be a Logan Shaw or Byron froese.
He has little to no upside

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad