Confirmed with Link: Habs sign Hayden Verbeek

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
If a single person here knows a single thing about Verbeek I'd be amazed. There must be a reason he was signed beyond his stats.

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
I wonder if Bergevin just watches sports shows instead of reading scouting reports. Like with Fucale, talked up on the shows but other teams passed, presumably due to stats and scouting.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Copy/paste of almost all Bergevin's moves.

At this point, no one can blame posters for asking questions and for not simply taking Bergevin's word for it. We're way past that.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
At this point, no one can blame posters for asking questions and for not simply taking Bergevin's word for it. We're way past that.
Could he not just be a AHL signing??

I don’t know, I’m just trying to make sense of the signing, if not for Montreal, maybe it’s more of a Laval signing. I don’t know how many contracts they have left to give.

If the kid has wheels and works hard I say why not....

But then again, I could be way off on this one. If this kids game is totally flaws, I’d like to know a posters take on why.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
None but verbeek is not deserving of an NHL contract.
I was expecting to see 100 pts but when I saw 61 pts and 20 years old I was like “why”
Did Bergevin play with his uncle? Did he owe pat verbeek a favour?
Why is he not deserving of a contract.....like, how do you validate such a notion?? What parts of his game are beyond flawed that he’s an automatic AHL rat??

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
If a single person here knows a single thing about Verbeek I'd be amazed. There must be a reason he was signed beyond his stats.
The binman found a trinket. He doesn't need a reason to rummage through the bin, it is who he is.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
The binman found a trinket. He doesn't need a reason to rummage through the bin, it is who he is.
So sign none then, zero free agents cause if he does, it’s perceived as bargain bin????....meanwhile, every NHL team is doing the same f***in thing.

soo hound girl

Oct 20, 2017
His uncle played with Bergevin in Hartford.

Who cares? Bottom line is the kid can play . You guys wonder why you guys are where you are it is time to start to think outside the box take a chance on some free agents and try and turn this thing around

Last edited by a moderator:

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto

I don’t know, I’m just trying to make sense of the signing, if not for Montreal, maybe it’s more of a Laval signing. I don’t know how many contracts they have left to give.

But then again, I could be way off on this one. If this kids game is totally flaws, I’d like to know a posters take on why.

He has wheels, works extremely hard, virtually all his scoring is 5 on 5 - if he actually got PP time he would be at a ppg pace.

Is a center. Great pker.

Basically Byron/A. Shaw/Pageau type 3rd line upside.

I'm sure he chose Montreal because he's aware of how bad our center position is.

Montreal needs all kinds of depth at every position. It's not a bad signing, but it isn't sexy. More of the "character" type player that Bergevin loves so much, so people are frustrated because we're a team dying for skill.

Reactions: jaffy27

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

This is Montreal's 31st contract next season. They have another 19 before they reach the 50-contract limit.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
No problem with this signing but really, another small winger. Why not more PMD and centres if we’re taking a flyer on an over ager. Just consistently defies logic.

Reactions: Runner77

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
No problem with this signing but really, another small winger. Why not more PMD and centres if we’re taking a flyer on an over ager. Just consistently defies logic.

I believe he plays wing now, but he is also center. Elite Prospect has him listed as C/LW. HockeyDB and his OHL profile has him listed as a C also.

I've never watched him so I can't say how good he is in either position. But he's someone who can play both wing and center.

As for more PMDs and centers, there will be more undrafted players Habs can sign.

Reactions: jaffy27

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
Here's what Brock had to say about him back in January in a top 10 undrafted players worth signing.

10. Hayden Verbeek - Forward - Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds
Absolute warrior on the ice. Easily one of the hardest working players in the league. Doesn't have the world's most dynamic skill set but gets the most out of it possible by using his brain, his skating ability, and his lower body strength (a real bull despite being only 5'9). Always fighting for loose pucks, especially near the crease and in the slot where he's extremely elusive. Also, watch this guy in the neutral zone. Does a great job stopping advances and lifting sticks to break up plays, turning the tide the other way. Verbeek is also one of the OHL's best penalty killers. Again, not sure the offensive skill set is good enough for him to be a significant NHL player, but if the Hounds make it all the way this year, he's going to get a ton of exposure. All heart. All hustle.

Reactions: Adam Michaels

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
So based on all those reports.....we could hope that at best, Hayden Verbeek is our Darren Helm. That would be fine with me. Earlier comment was always and only about statsline and how it's evidently uncommon for a guy not even cracking the PPG in his 5th season in Junior to crack a NHL roster. Try to convince me otherwise....you won't be able to. Even Helm cracked that PPG for 2 seasons in Juniors. But didn't destroy it either. Except his last playoff where he had 22 points in 23 games. So at one point, while the Soo is stacked, you would hope that Verbeek rack some stats too. You can't be a fine 2-way player if you can't do anything the offensive way......

Reactions: Zorba

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad