Proposal: Habs package for speeding up the rebuild

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Pleky "hit his peak" when he got pp time and more responsibilities, which Suzuki already has.

None the matter, it never hurts to have a deep pool of talented centers on a team. Suzuki isn't McDavid, he cant do it all alone :) and even for McDavid its arguable that he can do it alone
Pleky hit his peak at 27. suzuki is only 23 and has progressed offensively every year. Suzuki, Slaf and Cc will take another step next season. They are all improving at a rapid rate. There is no indication that they will plateau. None.

Thanks for pointing out Pleka as an example of typ what age players hit their peak! :)

Reactions: viceroy

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
They have the pieces in place. They need one more top 6 forward and good depth. If there’s a way to hit a home run this summer then I’m all up for it. Habs are going to be a very exciting team to watch as soon as next year.

Doesn’t need to be under 25. Panarin in NYR was 28, right? I think anyone under 29 should be looked at.

Montreal still has a chance at Celibrini and if not, I don’t think they are far off with Suzuki and Dach - If Dach can stay healthy.

I still remember how dominent Dach was during the pre-season and his first game. I even think if he stay healthy next year he will be better and more dangerous offensively than Suzuki
Building through UFA is a pretty terrible idea generally and the Habs arent the rangers where they can just get an Adam Fox as a college signing. And its not like a panarin level player would want to sign with a bad team. Its smarter to wait another few years, cause I dont see anyone on the Habs thats projected to be as good as Mackinnon, Makar, Kucherov, Vasilevsky, Hedman, Crosby, Malkin etc etc.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
What’s wrong with me? I wish I was more knowledgeable about gardening and cooking.
You can include hockey player positions. You see, the center position is between the left wing and right wing. The left winger plays the left side. Can you guess what side the right winger plays?

fasterthanlight

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 30, 2009
Seattle, WA
The San Jose Sharks have acquired pick number 25 in the 2024 NHL draft (originally belonging to the Winnipeg Jets) from the Montreal Canadians in exchange for 24 year old, 20G scorer, great contract status, high energy 3LW who can fill in at 2LW, sick last name, all around great guy Fabian Zetterlund. San Jose, you're on the clock!

Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
The San Jose Sharks have acquired pick number 25 in the 2024 NHL draft (originally belonging to the Winnipeg Jets) from the Montreal Canadians in exchange for 24 year old, 20G scorer, great contract status, high energy 3LW who can fill in at 2LW, sick last name, all around great guy Fabian Zetterlund. San Jose, you're on the clock!
I doubt the sharks move him and i think other teams can beat that offer.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Pleky hit his peak at 27. suzuki is only 23 and has progressed offensively every year. Suzuki, Slaf and Cc will take another step next season. They are all improving at a rapid rate. There is no indication that they will plateau. None.

Thanks for pointing out Pleka as an example of typ what age players hit their peak! :)

Right, they'll never plateau. Lol

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Building through UFA is a pretty terrible idea generally and the Habs arent the rangers where they can just get an Adam Fox as a college signing. And its not like a panarin level player would want to sign with a bad team. Its smarter to wait another few years, cause I dont see anyone on the Habs thats projected to be as good as Mackinnon, Makar, Kucherov, Vasilevsky, Hedman, Crosby, Malkin etc etc.
Starting next year the habs are going to be too good to tank properly anyway. This season is the last time they are potentially getting a top 5 pick and I don’t see them getting a MacKinnon or Makar with a 10-15 pick.

Also, Habs don’t necessarily need a MacKinnon or Kucherov. An Eichel could do the trick here. They have enough depth - especially at D - to be a contender without a generational player.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Starting next year the habs are going to be too good to tank properly anyway. This season is the last time they are potentially getting a top 5 pick and I don’t see them getting a MacKinnon or Makar with a 10-15 pick.

Also, Habs don’t necessarily need a MacKinnon or Kucherov. An Eichel could do the trick here. They have enough depth - especially at D - to be a contender without a generational player.
I dont see anyone with as much talent as Eichel either and Vegas isnt a replicable model by anyone. Its more likely to end up like Ottawa/Buffalo. As for being too good to tank, thats too early to say. Injuries happen, awful goaltending happen, young players taking time to adjust happen. Lots of stuff can tank a young team and you really dont wanna give up your own pick and miss out on an actual franchise talent.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
yeah...no

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Mesar and Beck could be in the deal, especially Mesar
This is great and all but exactly what forward should the Habs be targeting with these picks and why should said team trade that player to the Habs?

fasterthanlight

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 30, 2009
Seattle, WA
Well.... if they throw in NJ's 2nd rounder, I think it could work.
I'd potentially be willing to add something to even out the value, but I bet we could get a late first for zetterlund at the trade deadline. He is really good and fits the timeline of the habs better than ours.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
I dont see anyone with as much talent as Eichel either and Vegas isnt a replicable model by anyone. Its more likely to end up like Ottawa/Buffalo. As for being too good to tank, thats too early to say. Injuries happen, awful goaltending happen, young players taking time to adjust happen. Lots of stuff can tank a young team and you really dont wanna give up your own pick and miss out on an actual franchise talent.
It would be nice to get another Newhook. He's on pace for 46 points playing mostly as a C, with a merry-go-round of linemates (and without Dach). He probably could have been the Avs 2C (with a much higher PPG average with better Avs linemates) this season if they didn't give up on him so quickly. ;)

Hughes is a very good judge of talent!

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I'd give a shot at Lafrenière, but it wouldn't be at the price you'd want lol
Like, there's no 1st round coming your way, other than the Winnipeg 1st, in a deal for Lafrenière

I'd do Winnipeg 1st + something for Lafrenière and maybe cap relief
When I get a chance most likely next wk, I'll post my own thread
Like I said it is LaF for top $.
If that is more than Habs want to consider, fine
We are happy to keep or deal elsewhere

Rs have developed LaF.
As I predicted, he is emerging at Steve Vickers trajectory given his skating issues are now solved.
He is this season at lower middle of that projection with zero reason to think he will not improve further

No need to move LaF unless currency returned is sufficiently high to be worthwhille
Only interested in a deal that has signif high return it makes sense to move LaF and create slot for Othmann
I expect HUGO would wince, but the currency I have in mind obtains OP goal here by dealing from strength, adding a signif piece in LaF, and lesser useful pieces.

but we will see soon enuf

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018

Rs have developed LaF.
As I predicted, he is emerging at Steve Vickers trajectory given his skating issues are now solved.
He is this season at lower middle of that projection with zero reason to think he will not improve further

No need to move LaF unless currency returned is sufficiently high to be worthwhille
Only interested in a deal that has signif high return it makes sense to move LaF and create slot for Othmann
I expect HUGO would wince, but the currency I have in mind obtains OP goal here by dealing from strength, adding a signif piece in LaF, and lesser useful pieces.

What is your ask for Kakko. A guy in the midst of an awful season. What is the depreciated value you would expect?

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014

Rs have developed LaF.

Lafrenière ain't worth and won't get "top dollar" IMO

Kojo

Nov 22, 2013
Habs are going to need those first round draft picks to unload some contracts in a year or two. They shouldn't skip a rebuild while Gallagher and what's his face Anderson is either bought out or traded with one of those picks.

viceroy

Mar 5, 2011
Montreal suburbs
Offer Sam Reinhart big money.

I'm guessing he's gonna want at least 10 mil per especially outside of Florida.

Habs are better of drafting with the 5th overall pick and trading the Wpg 1st for a 23-25 years old help-now type of forward (like a Kakko)

Kakko not available and would cost signif mo than a late 1st

Kakko fits profile

I wouldn't trade for Kaks. He's definitely trending to become a future Armia-type. The kinda guy that leaves you wanting more. You know he's got the tools but something is clearly lacking.

It would be nice to get another Newhook.

Hughes is a very good judge of talent!

Well I do believe Hughes used to be his agent so he probably knows him pretty well.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018

Did they give up on this?
They did. Rather quickly too if I'm remembering right.

I won't watch KHL games anymore but I'm told it didn't work out at centre, at least not at this time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad