Proposal: Habs package for speeding up the rebuild

AlexGretzchenvid

Jan 19, 2013
Apparently hughes rebuffed at the TDL any trade offers for habs young Dmen.
I think they'll try for a Dach / Newhook type move this summer.
I don't think they'll chase as a UFA or trade for any forwards over 25.
Reinbacher has looked very good in a small sample size in Laval, and while They may give Hutson games at the end of the year, I think they both play in Laval next year.

there's 0 chance habs pick is in play yet, and certainly not till after the draft. I wouldn't trade 5th overall for Zegras. If some teams move for a dman then Demidov or Lidstrom could be in play.

I believe Hughes will make the Winnipeg and Calgary 1sts available along with some of the 2nds + Barron who is out of waiver options, maybe Savard, Kovacevic and Harris.
I think they want to make room for Mailloux next season. He's having a great year in Laval.

If habs can go into the 24-25 year with slafkovsky ((who's getting better by the game) , Suzuki, Dach, Caufield + top 5 pick and a trade, they'll be in the mix for a wild card spot. I don't think they make it, but being competive next year, beyond losing so many 1-goal games, will be the priority
I don’t like the idea of taking Mailloux Hutson or Reinbacher out of laval for the 24-25 season. They need to ride out some veteran contracts and what better time to stack your farm team and create a winning culture.

I don’t know lavals contract situation but it would be nice to see Roy and company there to start next season and be called up towards the end of the season ( another top10 pick hopefully ) and really kick start the 25-26 season.

viceroy

Mar 5, 2011
Montreal suburbs
I don’t like the idea of taking Mailloux Hutson or Reinbacher out of laval for the 24-25 season. They need to ride out some veteran contracts and what better time to stack your farm team and create a winning culture.

I don’t know lavals contract situation but it would be nice to see Roy to start next season and be called up towards the end of the season ( another top10 pick hopefully ) and really kick start the 25-26 season.

Personally I think Roy and Mailloux can have an AHL/NHL tweener type season whereas we should be willing to let Reinbacher and Hutson stew in the A.

Gaud

May 11, 2017
It’s hard to see the habs not giving Mesar a long look before trading him. He was drafted because he is smart quick agile and overall, has a mature game sense suited for the NHL wing.

He was also close friends with Slafkovsky. I agree with knowing what you have before agreeing to trade it, but i don't agree with the premise that him and Beck are untouchable. I dont really think anyone is untouchable, its more of a class of "you will pay so much to get him it's not worth it" and right now i'd see Hutson and Reinbacher there amongst the players who have yet to play with the habs.

Reactions: AlexGretzchenvid

Gaud

May 11, 2017
What I am looking for:

- Player must be 25 or younger
- Must be a forward, since goalies prospects are unreliable and we are already stacked up the ass with defensemen prospects

Habs would be willing to throw in:
- Habs 2025 1st, with no conditions attached to it
- Calgary 2025 1st
- Winnipeg 2024 1st
- Any prospect not named Hutson, Mailloux, Reinbacher, Beck, Mesar

Obviously, it's aimed at a rebuilding team who wants to speed-up their rebuild. For us, it's to get out of it.

You say that the aim is to speed up the rebuild, but wouldn't this be a normal next step in the natural progression of things?

Montreal got rid of a bunch of established players in return of a bunch of assets. Now that it has too many assets (contracts, prospects or picks), the logical step would be to use them to get rid of those leftover garbage contracts and to consolidate assets to trade picks and players for better picks and players. The addition of these assets will likely make the team better quickly, but it all part of the GM's established timeline.

I think I and a lot of people automatically assume “speed up a rebuild” means acquiring older players but yeah looking at Hughes history getting younger players is a nice worthwhile gamble
I also find it interesting; he seems to like to get players that haven't been living up to their hype or arent developping as fast as expected, but are still pretty much good enough for the NHL. Dach was a great pickup and Newhook is looking like he still has a ceiling to obtain. It'll be interesting to see who he targets next.

Reactions: LeonDraisaitl

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
I dont see anyone with as much talent as Eichel either and Vegas isnt a replicable model by anyone. Its more likely to end up like Ottawa/Buffalo. As for being too good to tank, thats too early to say. Injuries happen, awful goaltending happen, young players taking time to adjust happen. Lots of stuff can tank a young team and you really dont wanna give up your own pick and miss out on an actual franchise talent.
We don’t know that. Anything could happen. A star wanting a change, a team wanting to kick start a rebuild etc..

Just this season we’ve seen rumors about Brady Tkachuk and there was the Pettersson situation as well. Hertl, Byram & Drysdale were all traded this last month. If someone Hughes really like is made available at the draft then I’m sure he will be super aggressive.

The biggest difference between Montreal and Buffalo/Ottawa is the D and G. Both Buffalo and Ottawa are top heavy with little to show after their first pair. Montreal’s goalies are also much better than both of these teams right now.

With Dach coming back healthy and Hughes adding a top 6 player this summer I could really see Montreal fighting for a playoff spot as soon as next year.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
What is your ask for Kakko. A guy in the midst of an awful season. What is the depreciated value you would expect?
The premise is false.
Eye test confirms Rs see KK has chemistry w/Cuylle NOW and prev had it w/Chytil, along w/a lesser version of LaF on 'kid line'.
Rs need to first exhaust max application of KK potential while he is team friendly cost controlled cap hit.

Obv, like of Orr + Gretzky were dealt, almost anyone is movable if too much on the table to turn down.
KK is not in a place to demand/command top $ return like LaF. Howev, he is also not fodder for sell cheap at this pt.
Get you want an opportunity esp a bargain, we all do, but this is not the time for Rs to go there

Lafrenière ain't worth and won't get "top dollar" IMO
You are entitled to yr opinion and we will see if Rs get high enuf offer from presum Habs or 'nucks or Flames or even Jets/Leafs or a non Canadian team. Don't forget, moving LaF = instant spot for Othmann

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Likely around age 27 - like the Pleky example YOU highlighted! Quiet astute! ;)

Completely ignoring the differences in circumstances between the two, and all and any numbers showing that most NHL forwards peak at or before 25.... yep I recognize my fellow, overly optimistic habs fans right here!

I like the optimism. Tbh, Idk how others keep being so optimistic about our players and prospects after 20 years of it not working.

That said, its quite a rarity in Habs land that we argue between a giy being a 100 pts player and an 82 pts player, so thats that :)

Reactions: Bluenotes27

Kosseca

Feb 23, 2020
You say that the aim is to speed up the rebuild, but wouldn't this be a normal next step in the natural progression of things?

Montreal got rid of a bunch of established players in return of a bunch of assets. Now that it has too many assets (contracts, prospects or picks), the logical step would be to use them to get rid of those leftover garbage contracts and to consolidate assets to trade picks and players for better picks and players. The addition of these assets will likely make the team better quickly, but it all part of the GM's established timeline.

I also find it interesting; he seems to like to get players that haven't been living up to their hype or arent developping as fast as expected, but are still pretty much good enough for the NHL. Dach was a great pickup and Newhook is looking like he still has a ceiling to obtain. It'll be interesting to see who he targets next.
There is absolutely zero reason to rush the process of removing garbage contract. Not only does MTL have no cap issue what so ever for at least 2 more seasons, but we are also short on warm body upfront. So with each season passing, the cost of moving a bad contract is reduced and it allow the prospect to develop without rushing them.

The process of "accelerating" the rebuild is somewhat the foundation of the approach taken by Habs management. They never shy away from saying that they preferred already drafted prospect to draft pick as this gives them a better idea of the player's potential and make them closer to the NHL. So, trading certain asset as the OP is suggesting for young player... well that is the entire idea behind the philosophy.

Projecting in two seasons, I suspect that the roster would work around this:
Caufeild - Suzuki - Slaf
2024 1st pick - Dach - [trade with 1e Win+]
Newhook - Beck - Roy
Harvey-Pinard - Evans - [other]

Guhle - Reinbacher
Xhekaj - Mailloux
Hutson - [other]

It is unlikely that the 2024 pick and Beck can play at the NHL next season. Same thing with Mailloux and Hutson. Reinbacher may need some time early next season in the AHL. Dvorak, Armia and Savard are gone after next season. Matheson the following one. Leaving Anderson and Gallagher to deal with at that time. With some luck Gally is LTIR and Anderson can be traded with a 1st or decent prospect has he will only have one year left on his contract (or be the most expensive 4th line RW lol).

Is this a winning line up? dont know. but base on the current pool of players and current development curve, this is the most likely scenario.

So going back to the OP: it is quite possible that this summer MTL does a deal to secure that additional player to round up the top 6. Then again, if i'm KH, I would be patient. there are always players that become available for odd reasons. Having cap space and assets to trade could make him one of a hand full of place that can make a good offer.

Reactions: pth2

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
If there’s one thing Montreal lacks, it’s an potentially elite 1C. Teams aren’t looking to give those away. Montreal had a chance at Michkov but chose the D instead.

So just let the gumbo cook for a while.
Michikov isn't a potentially elite centre.

frederixx

Dec 5, 2005
Trading an unprotected 1st when you've been one of the worst team in the league for the past few years, interesting. But it's not happening and even with another strong forward, Montreal isn't close to being a contender. No real #1 goalie and an inexperienced defense squad. And quite honestly, the offense if average at best. Tank another 2 years for sure.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
We don’t know that. Anything could happen. A star wanting a change, a team wanting to kick start a rebuild etc..

Just this season we’ve seen rumors about Brady Tkachuk and there was the Pettersson situation as well. Hertl, Byram & Drysdale were all traded this last month. If someone Hughes really like is made available at the draft then I’m sure he will be super aggressive.

The biggest difference between Montreal and Buffalo/Ottawa is the D and G. Both Buffalo and Ottawa are top heavy with little to show after their first pair. Montreal’s goalies are also much better than both of these teams right now.

With Dach coming back healthy and Hughes adding a top 6 player this summer I could really see Montreal fighting for a playoff spot as soon as next year.
Petterson was never going to a bad team. The rumor was a contender like Carolina. Hertl is over 30. Good luck convincing ottawa fans that Brady is available for anything sort of another stud young player lol.

Nah, no way to tell is dache isnt broken goods at this point. Hope the best for the kid though. Buffalo with dahlin, byram, power and samuelsson has way superior D than Montreal. Not even debatable. Ottawa has sanderson who is basically reinbacher in two years if things go well. Chabot, zub and chychren.

Goaltending wise. All three teams are pretty below avg. I think UPL is probably the only one who has a long term future.

Rebuilds are hard, montreal missed out on Bedard, which is really the only short cut a rebuilding team can get.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Petterson was never going to a bad team. The rumor was a contender like Carolina. Hertl is over 30. Good luck convincing ottawa fans that Brady is available for anything sort of another stud young player lol.

Nah, no way to tell is dache isnt broken goods at this point. Hope the best for the kid though. Buffalo with dahlin, byram, power and samuelsson has way superior D than Montreal. Not even debatable. Ottawa has sanderson who is basically reinbacher in two years if things go well. Chabot, zub and chychren.

Goaltending wise. All three teams are pretty below avg. I think UPL is probably the only one who has a long term future.

Rebuilds are hard, montreal missed out on Bedard, which is really the only short cut a rebuilding team can get.
Montreal didn’t start their rebuild from scratch like Ottawa and Buffalo did. They started off with a few key pieces already in Suzuki, Caufield and Guhle with an already decent supporting cast in Primeau, Roy, Xhekaj and Mailloux.

They already hit big on Slafs and Reinbacher & Huston seems like they are going to be difference maker in this league. Beck, Barron and Mesar also looks like they are going to be NHL players - Although bottom of the line-up.

It’s hard to tell on Dach but if he comes back healthy he’s probably the best center we have in Montreal. His injury was unfortunate but I can tell you he was, by far, the most dangerous player on the ice for the Habs during pre-season and the lone game he played before being injured. Newhook also looks like a good top 9 player - Maybe even top 6 (we will see).

It would also obviously be hard to find an Ottawa fan that would be open/happy to move on from Brady. I’m not saying they want to trade him - Only that there were rumors of Brady asking out and if true, Montreal could and should put up a very, very competitive offer to acquire him. Same goes for any top 6 F talent under 28 - Montreal should be poking around to find an unhappy top 6 player somewhere and bring him here.

Reactions: Scintillating10

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Trading an unprotected 1st when you've been one of the worst team in the league for the past few years, interesting. But it's not happening and even with another strong forward, Montreal isn't close to being a contender. No real #1 goalie and an inexperienced defense squad. And quite honestly, the offense if average at best. Tank another 2 years for sure.
Unprotected 1st only means something between now and the lottery, I expect very few trades take place before draft ranking is settled, anyways.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
So going back to the OP: it is quite possible that this summer MTL does a deal to secure that additional player to round up the top 6. Then again, if i'm KH, I would be patient. there are always players that become available for odd reasons. Having cap space and assets to trade could make him one of a hand full of place that can make a good offer.
Very wise take - it's important to make bold moves when they are available, but when they aren't, it's better to be flexible and have cap room and assets and see what pops up over the next year.

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc

I don’t know lavals contract situation but it would be nice to see Roy and company there to start next season and be called up towards the end of the season ( another top10 pick hopefully ) and really kick start the 25-26 season.
Personally I would want Reinbacher and Hutson in the AHL all season(as a pairing) and Roy and Mailloux get call ups to see how they handle the NHL. Mostly AHL and get 20ish NHL games. Unless they play 5-6 and are clearly not ready

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
Personally I would want Reinbacher and Hutson in the AHL all season(as a pairing) and Roy and Mailloux get call ups to see how they handle the NHL. Mostly AHL and get 20ish NHL games. Unless they play 5-6 and are clearly not ready
i'm almost 100% sure Reinbacher will start the year in Mtl. Or make the club before Mailloux anyways. Mailloux will get callups or replace Savard when traded at the deadline. The wildcard is Barron. He is noty waiver exempted anymore.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
Habs are going to need those first round draft picks to unload some contracts in a year or two. They shouldn't skip a rebuild while Gallagher and what's his face Anderson is either bought out or traded with one of those picks
Absolutely no need to pay to get rid of Gallagher's or Andy's contracts. If needed, Gallagher will be bought out with one year left but i think Anderson will finish is contract with the team. Simply because there will be enough cap space.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Agreed! I understand rebuilding in impatient Canadian markets adds a lot pressure to compete, but what’s currently happening in Ottawa should be a cautionary tale.

Some fans never learn with rebuilds. Everyone thinks they all turn into the Pens, Leafs, Oilers, Blackhawks. But they don't consider that for every successful rebuild, there are 5 other teams who fail or take years.

* Yzerman with the Wings
* Sens struggle to move up when most thought this was their year
* Sabres have been struggling for how long now?
* Coyotes are rebuilding every season is appears

Habs will try to do more Romanov/13th/Dach flips if the situation presents itself but lets face it, most teams are keeping their youth and when that promising youth is available, you have to give to get.

I agree, but think Gallagher will likely be LTIR'd.

That's up to Gallagher. You can't force him to go on LTIR.

Possible. He probably is 1 major injury from LTIRement.

You have to think that pride kicks in and he can't play like he use to (clearly). At some point, he may get a 3+ month injury and just say screw it, my body is broken (like Weber and Price).

If not, he keeps trying and becomes a very bad contract, the deeper it gets on his term. That's going to wear on him over time.

Reactions: malcb33

Kosseca

Feb 23, 2020
Absolutely no need to pay to get rid of Gallagher's or Andy's contracts. If needed, Gallagher will be bought out with one year left but i think Anderson will finish is contract with the team. Simply because there will be enough cap space.
I think the problem will not be cap space, but a spot in the line up. We may need to move one or the two of them to make room for better players. But this is highly speculative.... too far in the future to really tell, but I agree that cap space is not an issue at this stage

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

We are not trading our unprotected 1st. Any trade that happens, happens after the draft lottery and likely near the draft.

Habs will have a combo of two things to monitor with our rebuild/transition years:

1) How are the youth maturing and how close is the core in the age 23-30 years. Yes, we have a few years to go before we are there.

2) How can we use our futures to get more trade like the Romaonv/13th/Dach flip. Trading from a position of strength for a team need and someone who fits the current core vs being age 18 when most of the core is 21+. We are not going to sell all our futures but it comes down to what's available and what is the cost.

Reactions: HuGo Sham

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Habs will probably spend in UFA market for top 6 forward. Marchessault or DeBrusk type. Keep their draft picks. I am hoping for Catton and either Vanacker or Letourneau

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
Habs fans high as hell in here again lol

"yeah can I get a 50+ point forward age 23? I'll pay a late 1st"

• Love
Reactions: bernmeister

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Habs fans high as hell in here again lol

"yeah can I get a 50+ point forward age 23? I'll pay a late 1st"
Well, on the one hand, yeah, many Habs fans are only looking at the high-end talent, and I can see how fans of other teams will find this annoying.

OTOH, Montreal got a 23 year old now pacing for almost exactly 50 points for picks 31 and 37, so it's not impossible. (ie, Newhook, 25 points in 44 games.) If he'd played the whole season on PP1 or actually had decent linemates, he'd be doing even better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad