Proposal: Habs package for speeding up the rebuild

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
I think I and a lot of people automatically assume “speed up a rebuild” means acquiring older players but yeah looking at Hughes history getting younger players is a nice worthwhile gamble
Well, the Dach trade was actually getting younger by a year - going from Romanov to Dach made Montreal younger, overall.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
We already have all the pieces we need on defense,
We already have a solid first line
We will draft early this year
Let's end that rebuilt shit, and let's compete!

I'd want a top end talent to take control of the second line
Make your offer

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
The only team that wants those assets will want to tear it down but they often dont have 25 year olds who are any good.

Reactions: TBF1972

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
It depends on how Montreal wants to go about this. Sometimes Suzuki seems Jonathan Toewes-ish and sometimes he seems 2C-ish.

But they passed on Michkov et al when they already had Guhle. So theyve possibly clarified this somewhat.

If theres a key piece they need, shouldn't more be on the table?

Reactions: AlexGretzchenvid

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
It depends on how Montreal wants to go about this. Sometimes Suzuki seems Jonathan Toewes-ish and sometimes he seems 2C-ish.

But they passed on Michkov et al when they already had Guhle. So theyve possibly clarified this somewhat.

If theres a key piece they need, shouldn't more be on the table?

What more could we put on lol

There's three 1st draft pick on the table

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
So just let the gumbo cook for a while.

dr-evil-how-about-no.gif

I want to compete next year and I'm ready to pay

viceroy

Mar 5, 2011
Montreal suburbs
Habs would be willing to throw in:
- Habs 2025 1st, with no conditions attached to it
- Calgary 2025 1st
- Winnipeg 2024 1st
- Any prospect not named Hutson, Mailloux, Reinbacher, Beck, Mesar

WPG first should be on the table as well.

Mesar and Beck could be in the deal, especially Mesar

NO! Let's throw in moar!!! Our 2024 1st unprotected, same for 2026 dagnabbit! Matheson and Savard too. Howsabout Fowler and Volokhin? or Engstrom and Konyushkov? It's a fire sale boys! Everything must go! We must make the playoffs next season come hell or high water! And once we're in the playoffs anything can happen!

I get why Hutson and Reinbacher are off the table, maybe Mailloux. But Beck and Mesar should be in play for sure if we're being realistic.

NO! Hutson and Reinbacher too! Maybe if we add an unprotected 1st we could get Zegras for those 3 assets! Imagine all those Michigan's! They'll just have to hand us the Cup then.

Why does Montreal need to speed up the rebuild?

Because NOW! Now, now, now, now! No more p***y footin', we Habs fans aren't a patient bunch. And if we don't get to the Eastern Conference finals by next season I'll throw my bowl of broccoli at mom.

Speeding up rebuilds are never a good thing in my opinion.

I said NOW!

Yeah, we just need 1 more high end piece of talent and that should take us from 28th league-wide right now to a Cup contender for sure!

If there’s one thing Montreal lacks, it’s an potentially elite 1C. Teams aren’t looking to give those away. Montreal had a chance at Michkov but chose the D instead.

Sorry to break it to ya but Michkov isn't a Centre.

John Mandalorian

Nov 29, 2018
NO! Let's throw in moar!!! Our 2024 1st unprotected, same for 2026 dagnabbit! Matheson and Savard too. Howsabout Fowler and Volokhin? or Engstrom and Konyushkov? It's a fire sale boys! Everything must go! We must make the playoffs next season come hell or high water! And once we're in the playoffs anything can happen!

NO! Hutson and Reinbacher too! Maybe if we add an unprotected 1st we could get Zegras for those 3 assets! Imagine all those Michigan's! They'll just have to hand us the Cup then.

Because NOW! Now, now, now, now! No more p***y footin', we Habs fans aren't a patient bunch. And if we don't get to the Eastern Conference finals by next season I'll throw my bowl of broccoli at mom.

I said NOW!

Yeah, we just need 1 more high end piece of talent and that should take us from 28th league-wide right now to a Cup contender for sure!

Sorry to break it to ya but Michkov isn't a Centre.

Did they give up on this?

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011

I'd want a top end talent to take control of the second line
Make your offer

If he doesn't want to resign here Berggren might be available. I doubt Yzerman wants to trade him within the division though unless it's a very good offer. But he's definitely a guy Habs should target with this thread premise.

Reactions: Bouboumaster

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
I could see Anaheim entertaining the idea of trading Zegras for Montreal's 1st.
Verbeek wants to start putting a winning team on the ice. The Montreal 1st round pick does nothing for Anaheim.

What I am looking for:

- Player must be 25 or younger
- Must be a forward, since goalies prospects are unreliable and we are already stacked up the ass with defensemen prospects

- Calgary 2025 1st
- Winnipeg 2024 1st

Obviously, it's aimed at a rebuilding team who wants to speed-up their rebuild. For us, it's to get out of it.
You saw Arpon Basu's podcast. There is some pressure on Montreal to take that next step. Finishing out of the playoffs for another 2 or 3 seasons is not acceptable.

The Habs need another forward.

Reactions: lwvs84 and Voight

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
If there’s one thing Montreal lacks, it’s an potentially elite 1C. Teams aren’t looking to give those away. Montreal had a chance at Michkov but chose the D instead.

So. You think Michkov is a C? Sounds about right given your history! ;)

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
That’s not really defined as “speeding up the rebuild”

They have the pieces in place. They need one more top 6 forward and good depth. If there’s a way to hit a home run this summer then I’m all up for it. Habs are going to be a very exciting team to watch as soon as next year.

The only team that wants those assets will want to tear it down but they often dont have 25 year olds who are any good.
Doesn’t need to be under 25. Panarin in NYR was 28, right? I think anyone under 29 should be looked at.

Montreal still has a chance at Celibrini and if not, I don’t think they are far off with Suzuki and Dach - If Dach can stay healthy.

I still remember how dominent Dach was during the pre-season and his first game. I even think if he stay healthy next year he will be better and more dangerous offensively than Suzuki

John Mandalorian

Nov 29, 2018
Montreal still has a chance at Celibrini and if not, I don’t think they are far off with Suzuki and Dach - If Dach can stay healthy.

I still remember how dominent Dach was during the pre-season and his first game. I even think if he stay healthy next year he will be better and more dangerous offensively than Suzuki

You might be right. And for clarity, I'm not saying Montreal cant contend with Suzuki as a 1C. It's just that it would be somewhat of a bummer for them to not come out of their rebuild with that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gravity and malcb33

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
What I am looking for:

- Player must be 25 or younger
- Must be a forward, since goalies prospects are unreliable and we are already stacked up the ass with defensemen prospects

- Calgary 2025 1st
- Winnipeg 2024 1st

Obviously, it's aimed at a rebuilding team who wants to speed-up their rebuild. For us, it's to get out of it.

Personally I would keep Mesar but Beck can be added for the right player...

They have been doing just that 2 draft ago (13OA for Dach) and Last draft (1st + 2nd) for Newhook. I also think OP is right. They’ll aim for a home run this summer. Wouldn’t be surprised if we also put our 2024 first on the table for the right player
wow for that pick it better be for someone amazing. Also I would not trade the pick before Its The Habs turn on the clock anyways. If they have a shot at Celebrini, Demidov or Lindstrom I am not so sure they would pass them up.....

Last edited:

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
Verbeek wants to start putting a winning team on the ice. The Montreal 1st round pick does nothing for Anaheim.

You saw Arpon Basu's podcast. There is some pressure on Montreal to take that next step. Finishing out of the playoffs for another 2 or 3 seasons is not acceptable.

The Habs need another forward.
I would say they need 2 forwards and somehow trade away a few anchors....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad