Proposal: Habs package for speeding up the rebuild

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
What I am looking for:

- Player must be 25 or younger
- Must be a forward, since goalies prospects are unreliable and we are already stacked up the ass with defensemen prospects

Habs would be willing to throw in:
- Habs 2025 1st, with no conditions attached to it
- Calgary 2025 1st
- Winnipeg 2024 1st
- Any prospect not named Hutson, Mailloux, Reinbacher, Beck, Mesar

Obviously, it's aimed at a rebuilding team who wants to speed-up their rebuild. For us, it's to get out of it.

Last edited:

Lockin17

Jul 31, 2018
What I am looking for:

- Must be a forward, since goalies prospects are unreliable and we are already stacked up the ass with defensemen prospects

- Calgary 2025 1st

Obviously, it's aimed at a rebuilding team who wants to speed-up their rebuild. For us, it's to get out of it.
WPG first should be on the table as well.

Reactions: HabsQC

Grantham

Mar 28, 2017
From watching the Habs against the Canucks recently, you guys already have a very good first line. Guhle was very good, and you have Hutson and Reinbacher coming, so D looks good.

Just need to start fleshing out 2nd line downwards. I would try to target Necas from Carolina. Perhaps best would be a sign and trade deal with one of your first and a blue chip prospect not named Hutson or Reinbacher.

Then maybe bring Toffoli back for some scoring depth in FA.

HabsQC

Sep 27, 2008
Gatineau, Quebec
From watching the Habs against the Canucks recently, you guys already have a very good first line. Guhle was very good, and you have Hutson and Reinbacher coming, so D looks good.

Just need to start fleshing out 2nd line downwards. I would try to target Necas from Carolina. Perhaps best would be a sign and trade deal with one of your first and a blue chip prospect not named Hutson or Reinbacher.

Depends... can he be offersheeted ?

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
What I am looking for:

- Calgary 2025 1st

A meh prospect like Mesar is off the table but you’ll trade a Habs unprotected pick next year.

Interesting proxy GM work there.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
A meh prospect like Mesar is off the table but you’ll trade a Habs unprotected pick next year.

Interesting proxy GM work there.

What, you'd be interested in Mesar?

WPG first should be on the table as well.

Sure. I'll add it to the list

Mesar and Beck could be in the deal, especially Mesar

I didn't included them because our prospect bank at forward is a bit barren, I'd hold on them

Reactions: HabsQC

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
No. Bad @Bouboumaster. Bad. You stop that right now.

Trollface_non-free.png

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia

Our first pick no way Moving that. Same as Guhle he's staying put.

They want too much for Necas. Then we have to pay him 5-6 million a year. Just give that money to DeBrusk type and keep our picks.

I be open to bringing back Monahan also. For 3 year-15 million. Habs are 5-10-5 without him. We were .500 team with him. Big difference.

The next summer we have 25 million coming off the books. Sign a big name then. Rantanen or Crosby type.

Reactions: Ricky Bobby

malcb33

Apr 10, 2005
New Zealand
Why does Montreal need to speed up the rebuild? Things are coming together pretty nicely, they just need some high end forward talent to round things out.

Montreal would be much better off being patient for one more year which gives their prospects and young players time to grow and then they have a good chuck of money coming off the books at the end of next year.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
I wanted to start a similar thread... but focused the other way around: not asking randomly for a forward, but trying to define who might be available for a package of futures.

Dach and Newhook fit a clear pattern: expired ELCs on teams that didn't want to commit to them long term, after they'd played 3 seasons for the teams that drafted them. Dach seems to have been available because of injury concerns (as well as tanking), whereas Colorado didn't want to commit very precious cap room to a guy who didn't seem to fill a clear role for them during their window (he'd clearly failed at filling the #2C role they really needed him to fill).

Looking at ELCs expiring this summer, the list becomes fairly short, there might be a dozen potential trade candidates that Montreal could make future-centered offers for.

Kaliyev and Lundell (if Florida's cap stays tight) would be the 2 guys I'd be calling to ask about, since they are the closest fits to the known pattern.

Why does Montreal need to speed up the rebuild this year? Things are coming together nicely, they just need some high end forward talent to round things out.

Montreal would be much better off being patient for one more year which gives their prospects and young players time to grow and then they have a good chuck of money coming off the books.
The GM has twice now shown an interest in acquiring players with some development already baked in (Newhook and Dach) and has also looked at getting higher-end prospects like Heinemann and Barron in trades. It's logical to think this trend might continue with Montreal having an extra first this year and next, and an extra second next year.

I wouldn't consider the Habs #1 pick to be on the table, but OP has his own view of things, of course.

malcb33

Apr 10, 2005
New Zealand
The GM has twice now shown an interest in acquiring players with some development already baked in (Newhook and Dach) and has also looked at getting higher-end prospects like Heinemann and Barron in trades. It's logical to think this trend might continue with Montreal having an extra first this year and next, and an extra second next year.

I wouldn't consider the Habs #1 pick to be on the table, but OP has his own view of things, of course.
I agree with trading picks for younger players that fit the timeline of the core of the team. I don’t agree with trading major assets for established players to start competing next year.

Not only is the current team not ready for it yet, but depending on who they trade for, it can also mess up the internal cap structure that Hughes has done a good job of establishing so far.

Last edited:
Reactions: jrom and pth2

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
I agree with trading picks for younger players that fit the timeline of the core of the team. I don’t agree with trading major assets for established players to start competing next year.

Not only is the current team not ready for it yet, because depending on who they trade for it can also mess up the internal cap structure Hughes has done a good job of establishing so far.
I agree on both points.

I specifically wouldn't want Montreal to make the same mistake Ottawa made, trading high picks for players in their prime (Debrincat and Chychrun), cutting off the influx of young talented players too quickly in the rebuild process.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Speeding up rebuilds are never a good thing in my opinion. I really like what Montreal is currently doing though in identifying players for their future core and are letting them develop properly. They should keep on keeping on
They have been doing just that 2 draft ago (13OA for Dach) and Last draft (1st + 2nd) for Newhook. I also think OP is right. They’ll aim for a home run this summer. Wouldn’t be surprised if we also put our 2024 first on the table for the right player

Reactions: Pat Riot

malcb33

Apr 10, 2005
New Zealand
Wouldn’t be surprised if we also put our 2024 first on the table for the right player
I hope they are looking at a backup option (a trade for a high end forward) if they get unlucky at the draft lottery.

With they way things are looking at this years draft there’s only a handful of high end impact forwards, and they shouldn’t be taking another D prospect, so having a potential trade in their back pocket would be a very smart idea.

Reactions: Pat Riot

LeonDraisaitl

Jan 5, 2015
Saskatchewan
They have been doing just that 2 draft ago (13OA for Dach) and Last draft (1st + 2nd) for Newhook. I also think OP is right. They’ll aim for a home run this summer. Wouldn’t be surprised if we also put our 2024 first on the table for the right player
I think I and a lot of people automatically assume “speed up a rebuild” means acquiring older players but yeah looking at Hughes history getting younger players is a nice worthwhile gamble

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad