Habs Off-season discussion Part 4 (Your ****** proposals still go here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
Our offense is going to be reeling from the net loss of Gionta + Vanek + Briere vs Parenteau.

Not necessarily. We didn't have vanek in 2012-2013 and we did fine. Obviously, better to have a great player like vanek than nothing, but even when he was putting up points in the regular season for us, the team was playing really badly.

I'm hoping parenteau can kinda fill gionta's role. I don't think he's used to playing toughest matchups, but he could do well in that role. He's a smart player. The only thing I worry about is fans getting on his case for his inevitable drop in production. Not sure I'd like him on the DD line but he could fit really well with Eller playing against secondary matchups.

The increase in production from kids like beaulieu, galchenyuk, gallagher and hopefully the defensive acumen of a malhotra will offset any difference, I think.

Not to mention that ridding ourselves of plugs like murray and bouillon allows for a much better transitional game, which will only help.

overlords = not particularly worried.

Halifaxhab*

Not necessarily. We didn't have vanek in 2012-2013 and we did fine. Obviously, better to have a great player like vanek than nothing, but even when he was putting up points in the regular season for us, the team was playing really badly.

I'm hoping parenteau can kinda fill gionta's role. I don't think he's used to playing toughest matchups, but he could do well in that role. He's a smart player. The only thing I worry about is fans getting on his case for his inevitable drop in production. Not sure I'd like him on the DD line but he could fit really well with Eller playing against secondary matchups.

The increase in production from kids like beaulieu, galchenyuk, gallagher and hopefully the defensive acumen of a malhotra will offset any difference, I think.

Not to mention that ridding ourselves of plugs like murray and bouillon allows for a much better transitional game, which will only help.

I think you are lost. This is a habs board, where optomism is banned.....you must have taken some of this today.....

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-p...ontreal-canadiens-meth-kingpin-151826396.html

Big Lurk

Aug 2, 2013
Our offense is going to be reeling from the net loss of Gionta + Vanek + Briere vs Parenteau+Sekac.

Fixed

The only net loss is Vanek.
Sekac is good for 25 pts, realistically

Parenteau = Gionta offensively in a worst case scenario.

We were still making the playoffs without Vanek.

Its time for the youth movement!!

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
Any idea what is going to happen with the goalie situation? I'm curious to know what they're going to do with Budaj and Tokarski going forward but haven't heard anything.

Halifaxhab*

I was voted most optimistic poster at some point a few years back on this board. :sarcasm:

No doubt about it, though. I love a lot of the moves Bergevin has made this offseason. I just find them hard to reconcile with the moves he made last year, you know?

He's learning. I mean this really is only the 3rd offseason as a GM for him. Peaks and valleys.

Halifaxhab*

It's not so much that I can't forgive a mistake or two, it's just that the philosophy behind the moves seem completely different. Really confusing.

That's one of the valleys. But you can see he's learning. Signs Briere....trades his primadonna butt. Signed Murray and Bouillion.....but mercifully only 1yr deals. If he brings Cube back, I don't know what to say other than he needs to be slapped.

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
Get Dustin Penner before another team takes him...
(he's good in playoffs...it's all about the playoffs and playoff depth...get Penner...cheap win-win situation).

Close the off-season gap by making it...:
Gionta + Vanek (approx.35-40 games) + Briere
VS
PA Parenteau + Penner + Sekac

Playoffs:
Galchenyuk - Pleks - Gallagher
Pacioretty - DD - PA Parenteau
Bourque - Eller - Weise/Penner/Sekac?
Prust/Bournival/Moen - Malhotra - Penner/Weise
Sekac?

Worth trying Penner on the 3rd or at worst...4th line (for PLAYOFFS).

bigtimehockeyfan999*

Buddy, we didn't have vanek in 2013-14 and we did fine :laugh:

JAVO16

Sep 21, 2008
Montréal
Buddy, we didn't have vanek in 2013-14 and we did fine :laugh:

We weren't doing very well before getting Vanek. The team went on a tear after we got him, but we were in a battle for a playoff spot before that.

The year prior we also had Ryder for most of the season which people are overlooking right now.

2012-2013 Gionta + Ryder > Parenteau + Sekac
2013-2014 Vanek + Gionta > Parenteau + Sekac >= Gionta

Basically, the comparisons hinge on Sekac being ready to make an impact in the NHL. If he's more of a Damien Brunner than a Janne Lahti, him combined with Parenteau will be better than Gionta alone. But if he's not, I think Gionta and Parenteau will end up being a relative wash.

Last edited:

WestIslander

Feb 5, 2008
Montreal, Quebec
Bergevin needs to find a way to acquire Kane from Winnipeg without giving up Pacioretty, Galchenyuk or Gallagher.

I would live to see (on forward):

Pacioretty - Galchenyuk - Gallagher
Kane - Plekanec - Parenteau
Bourque - Eller - Sekac
Moen - Malhotra - Weise

Halifaxhab*

Bergevin needs to find a way to acquire Kane from Winnipeg without giving up Pacioretty, Galchenyuk or Gallagher.

I would live to see (on forward):

Pacioretty - Galchenyuk - Gallagher
Kane - Plekanec - Parenteau
Bourque - Eller - Sekac
Moen - Malhotra - Weise

The way to do that is to find some really juicy blackmale pics on Chevyldayoff.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
I'd prefer Andrew Ladd personally, the guy has every thing we could want in a veteran winger ; size,skills,work ethic, a Stanley Cup winning background,etc. That being said, Kane would make us better as well.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
If Parenteau can put up 50-60 points and we get progression offensively from guys like Eller, Galchenyuk and Gallagher our offense will be fine. Also having a way better transition game with guys like Beaulieu and Gilbert (instead of Gorges/Bouillon/Murray) added to our D and second powerplay unit will help improve our offense.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
The way to do that is to find some really juicy blackmale pics on Chevyldayoff.

tumblr_n79s19bzGK1sizpq5o2_500.gif

Frozenice

No Reverse Gear
Jan 1, 2010
I think Byfugelin would benefit us the most, especially if you factor in the cost/benefit ratio.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad