Habs Off-season discussion Part 4 (Your ****** proposals still go here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Washington doesn't want, or need DD. They traded Perrault for a reason.

New Jersey doesn't need really need Budaj. I believe they have prospects ready. Devils already have 13 forwards, so no need for Moen.

Biz nasty and Matt Kassian are both extremely terrible.

While he is lazy, if he wants to play in Canada, Montreal should consider Penner, then trade Bournival. Massive downgrade on speed, though.

some caps fans were very enthusiastic to the idea of adding DD. The caps don't have a clear #2 C solution, and while they have some potential options (kuznetzov, johansson), DD could coneivably be a fit/solution that affords them an opportunity to split OV/Backstrom.

NJ has no backup in place right now, yes they have some youth who may earn the spot, but if you look at LL's history, he's rarely had the team enter a season without a veteran back up… and this was through a 15-year stretch with a 70+ game Brodeur in place. I'll be surprised if we don't see a vet backup added to NJ before season starts.

Biz Nasty and Kassian are no worse than Parros was (only this time we'd be adding them without giving up any assets). Enforcers are just that, enforcers… didn't think any explanation was needed.

Penner is available… but is about as counter to the culture that MB has stated he wants to build as one could find… Bournival, conversely, is emblematic of what MB is trying to put in place.

Hard to envisage a world where MB moves a singed/cheap BOurnival, just to create room to sign a UFA Penner. Doesn't make any sense.

He's been playing close to 24 minutes a game since becoming a Jet, his work ethic can't be that bad. He does have an issue with his weight and doesn't always do the things the coaches want him to do on the ice but I'm not sure it's work ethic issues as maybe he's not as good as they want him to be, more of a disappointment or a scapegoat type of thing.

I watch a fair amount of Jet games and I think his issues are overblown, he comes to play on most nights.

interesting… admittedly did not watch much Jet hockey last year, but presumed that his large minutes were more a reflection of poor D depth + his extra PP minutes vs heavy usage related to effectivness.

i think the weight management issues + the (real or perceived) resitance to playing the game his coaches want from him would turn MB away (on top of the price tag), but who knows.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
While he is lazy, if he wants to play in Canada, Montreal should consider Penner, then trade Bournival. Massive downgrade on speed, though.

Trading one of the hardest working players in the league to sign one of the laziest players in the league seems highly unlike something Bergevin would do.

The only thing Penner has on Bournival is size. He only has 25 goals in his last 174 games compared to Bournival's 7 in 60 games while playing primarily in the bottom six and with no PP time, he isn't an upgrade offensively and Bournival is significantly better defensively.

smirob

Jun 2, 2014
I do think there is a small market for Desharnais.

Washington & Edmonton both need #2C. I'm not sure what the return value is but DD's value has never been higher than it is now.

I have zero interest in Penner.

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012
Penner is a bit like Bourque. useless in the regular season, useful in the playoffs.

Not sure I would want two of them in the same team though.

Dagistitsyn

Aug 27, 2011
Nova Scotia
Only reason I would even slightly entertain the idea of Penner would be because of a cheap one year deal. No risk in that. Could scratch him / waivers if he's bad. Same goes for Mueller.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
I do think there is a small market for Desharnais.

Washington & Edmonton both need #2C. I'm not sure what the return value is but DD's value has never been higher than it is now.

I have zero interest in Penner.

Nashville will want a center in the summer. They won't be re-signing both Roy and Ribeiro.

smirob

Jun 2, 2014
I think most people agree that our biggest need is top line RW, followed by 2nd line LW *if Galchenyuk moves to C.

Blake Wheeler would be my ideal choice, would take a ton to get him I think (possibly as much as it would take to get Kane). He has a great contract (5.6M up to 2019 I think).

What would people give up for him? Assuming Jets are in rebuild mode, what would he cost?

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
Penner????????

Need to improve our top 9, no?

Galchenyuk - Pleks - Gallagher
Paciroetty - DD - PA Parenteau
Bourque - Eller - Penner/Weise
Prust/Moen - Malhotra - Weise/Penner
Sekac
Andrighetto

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Bourque and Penner on the same line would be the laziest line in NHL history.

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
Bourque and Penner on the same line would be the laziest line in NHL history.

Haha...maybe in regular season, but for playoffs...could be a darn good line.

Well...we need another forward for our top 9, no?
(who's out there? Penner...Setoguchi...).

p.s.: Ribeiro/Ribs...really really didn't want to see him in a CH jersey again...couldn't stand him.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Haha...maybe in regular season, but for playoffs...could be a darn good line.

Well...we need another forward for our top 9, no?
(who's out there? Penner...Setoguchi...).

p.s.: Ribeiro/Ribs...really really didn't want to see him in a CH jersey again...couldn't stand him.

Bournival, Sekac, Andrighetto, De la Rose....

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Sekac, maybe/hopefully. IMO Bournival is best suited as a depth player, while Andrighetto and DLR still have more to prove before they can be considered.

Bournival is also only 22 yo and was a pretty good 4th liner. I'm confident he will be able to become a 3rd liner.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
We're one 7th D away from being set I think. Among those still available, I'd still get a Murray-kind of guy, probably Mark Fraser.

Bring up all the percentages, analytics and anti-toughness arguments you can get, in my mind, a #7 D has to be a ROLE player, and looking at the composition of our D, I definitely think some toughness we can dress every now and then cannot hurt. You then use him one game here and there, against more physical teams.

Last edited:

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
We're one 7th D away from being set I think. Among those still available, I'd still get a Murray-kind of guy, probably Mark Fraser.

Bring up all the percentages, analytics and anti-toughness arguments you can get, in my mind, a #7 D has to be a ROLE player, and looking at the composition of our D, I definitely think some toughness we can dress every now and then cannot hurt. You then use him one game here and there, against more physical teams.

agreed, with the addition of Gilbert and Beaulieu likely to play 40+ games, puck moving and offense from our D shouldnt be a problem.

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal

Would Mark Fraser be able to contain (for example) a Colton Orr or a Lucic or Chara?? (if so...sign him!). Or else...give 20-30 games to Douglas Murray, no??? (only VS Bruins, Leaves, Ottawa,etc.....two-way contract????).

I don't want Tinordi, Prust to do all the ''policeman'' work...we need to get Tinordi and Prust a heavy weight policeman to do most of the ''protection/preventing''. I'm sure Tinordi will come to the defense of his teammates, but...I don't want him to have an overload of ''police work'' to do (ex: when Prust was doing it for us full-time).

Bournival, Sekac, Andrighetto, De la Rose.... instead of Penner or Setoguchi

Maybe (but De La Rose needs 1-2 AHL yrs, no? Ghetto needs 1-2yrs of NHL experience, Sekac...not sure yet but will be positive/hopeful, etc, etc)...but for playoffs I'd like to add a more experienced forward (Penner??), but playoffs are still far away!! (for me it's all about playoffs...that's why we keep Bourque since he's a major playoffs performer and our top 9 would not be as nice in playoffs without Bourque...trust me!).

Last edited:

Analyzer*

Would Mark Fraser be able to contain (for example) a Colton Orr or a Lucic or Chara?? (if so...sign him!). Or else...give 20-30 games to Douglas Murray, no??? (only VS Bruins, Leaves, Ottawa,etc.....two-way contract????).

I don't want Tinordi, Prust to do all the ''policeman'' work...we need to get Tinordi and Prust a heavy weight policeman to do most of the ''protection/preventing''. I'm sure Tinordi will come to the defense of his teammates, but...I don't want him to have an overload of ''police work'' to do (ex: when Prust was doing it for us full-time).

No.

First game last year he lost to Moen.

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
No.

First game last year he lost to Moen.

I may have remembered that...thanks for the ''memory refresh''.
Ok...so Fraser is OUT!!

Well...Bergevin better get a #7dman ''protector'' OR a 13th forward who can protect us when we play VS Bruins, Leaves,etc.

Subban
Price
Gallagher
etc
etc
they all need protection, imo.
(why pay so much to our star players and leave them out there vulnerable VS a Colton Orr or a Lucic or Chara...we need a ''policeman''/''injury reducer'' or whatever you want to call him!!).

Last edited:

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
I wouldn't make any major trades or increase the payroll. I'd recommend trying out the prospects before going outside the organization.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad