Habs Off-season discussion Part 4 (Your ****** proposals still go here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roulin

Mar 21, 2007
Montreal
But Penner is not that good though. And we're not in a rush, as we have prospects that may be ready (Sekac, Andrighetto, De la Rose, Reway). The return we'd get for Desharnais would almost certainly be inferior to his value. We still dont fully know what we have in Desharnais, because he was never tested defensively. Same for Galchenyuk, and same for Eller, offensively. Experiments are going to be made, but I doubt Penner is the solution for the Habs.

Its that time we give the younger players more duties. Why would we get rid of declining vets to get another one?

Should it be? We already have Galchenyuk (20) and Gallagher (22). Beaulieu (21) and Tinordi (22) will fighting for a job, and maybe Nygren (24) and Pateryn (24) fighting for another.

Forsead

Apr 7, 2009
Québec City
I would say that it would largely depend on the return for DD. I also think most people aren't as high on penner as me, which is understandable to an extent. The guy generally looks like a lazy mother****er. But on the third line? He'd look good with Eller.

Plus Penner is playing very good in the playoffs, has loads of experience there and won 2 cups.

Should it be? We already have Galchenyuk (20) and Gallagher (22). Beaulieu (21) and Tinordi (22) will fighting for a job, and maybe Nygren (24) and Pateryn (24) fighting for another.

Plus Bournival.

Habitants

Oct 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
lol signing penner would be like signing murray last season. a move for the sake of it, and a mistake. They dont need him. there are enough players to fill the roster and there are enough young players pushing to make the team to compete against each other.

Roulin

Mar 21, 2007
Montreal
lol signing penner would be like signing murray last season. a move for the sake of it, and a mistake. They dont need him. there are enough players to fill the roster and there are enough young players pushing to make the team to compete against each other.

For one thing, the numbers like Penner much more than Murray. Relative Corsi % in the last 4 seasons, oldest to newest:

Penner +2.2, +0.6, +0.4, +3.0
Murray -2.8, -6.9, -6.1, -6.6

I know it's frustrating to watch Penner not moving his feet, but he's good at protecting the puck and keeping it at the good end of the ice. He's been a plus possession player on many different teams.

Forsead

Apr 7, 2009
Québec City

I fail to see which young forward are pushing for a spot that haven't made it.

Andrighetto doesn't look ready and we've yet to see what Sekac can do in an North American rink.

habitue*

For one thing, the numbers like Penner much more than Murray. Relative Corsi % in the last 4 seasons, oldest to newest:

Penner +2.2, +0.6, +0.4, +3.0
Murray -2.8, -6.9, -6.1, -6.6

Penner was useless in Washington. The guy can only play in California.

We really don't need Penner. We still have Bourque and he can do better,still.

The only guy that would make a real impact would be Evander Kane. But I guess Winnipeg wants the Moon for him.

Roulin

Mar 21, 2007
Montreal
Penner was useless in Washington. The guy can only play in California.

We really don't need Penner. We still have Bourque and he can do better,still.

The only guy that would make a real impact would be Evander Kane. But I guess Winnipeg wants the Moon for him.

What's more likely, that Penner only plays well in the land of Tupac and Dre, or that his 5.3 shooting % in Washington would have regressed towards his career average had he played more than 18 games with the Caps?

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
We probably come out ahead in that exchange, depending on how you project Galchenyuk, I guess.

I like Galchenyuk, he might actually be more productive offensively, but he might also be even worse defensively, and a dry spell could put pressure on him he's not ready for. He also doesn't have the same chemistry with Patch that DD has. His development could actually be hindered by having the type of pressure DD had when Coderre called him out publicly. Montreal can be a pretty unforgiving place. Especially if he comes in to replace DD and doesn't get at least 60 pts. I think it's more prudent to wait until he's clearly shown he's ready for it while maintaining DD's value around the league so that we can unload DD easily when the times come where we're sure Galchenyuk will be produce more than DD in the same role.

As for Penner, he has a really intriguing package of skills, and he's effective in his role, but he's been bouncing around the league for a reason. And there's also a reason why he's not been signed yet. Not even one GM felt like taking a chance on him. The way it is right now, to make the team.. one of Sekac, DLR or Andrighetto would have to beat one of Bournival/Bourque to play on one of our top 3 lines. I'm ok with that. I'd like to see what Sekac can do in pre-season before resorting to signing unwanted leftovers.

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
I really don't want Penner, Bourque or Stewart anywhere close to our top 6. The lazy players of this world shouldn't play on the habs. Now I'm going to shut up about it, because obviously repeating it constantly isn't going to change some people's wet dreams ;)

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
I really don't want Penner, Bourque or Stewart anywhere close to our top 6. The lazy players of this world shouldn't play on the habs. Now I'm going to shut up about it, because obviously repeating it constantly isn't going to change some people's wet dreams ;)

We need as much lazy players as we need short dudes. ;)

Big Lurk

Aug 2, 2013

But all these guys were sheltered.
It might be a while for Tinordi, but I think, from what I saw with my amateur eyes that Beaulieu, Galchenyuk, Gallagher can handle more than what they have been given so far. Sekac is here on a mission, he has the size, and is a capable 2-way player in the KHL at age 22. I think this is a place where we can afford to be reactive instead of pro-active. Like the guy above said there has to be a reason why Penner is still a free agent, and traded for peanuts at the deadline even though he put up decent numbers in Anaheim.

Dagistitsyn

Aug 27, 2011
Nova Scotia
I fail to see which young forward are pushing for a spot that haven't made it.

Andrighetto doesn't look ready and we've yet to see what Sekac can do in an North American rink.

What else does your crystal ball tell you? Maybe wait til camp / pre season to make that call. Ghetto had a better rookie season in the AHL than Bournival, who also made the team after one year in the AHL. Sven deserves a good look this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad