Post-Game Talk: Habs' joy crushed in Joysey!

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
Will it matter next season??

Ofcourse it matters...

This team needs some continuity, We can't stall the growth of the culture for picks we don't even need. Putting undue pressure on players not ready, especially on D is far more detrimental imo. Hell just look at Matheson's struggles with it. Who will we be able to assign his role with?
I wouldn't trade Matheson for a generic return, but if a really good offer for an enticing prospect was there, then I would pull the trigger.

Reactions: HabbyGuy and Habs13

eklund the clown

Dec 28, 2010
Yes, but at the same time. They have to provide entertainment to the people that are paying their hard earned cash to watch the games. It's easy for us to sit in our livingrooms saying to make this move or that move. It's a much tougher decision to make when your job and financial future are on the line.
Who's job and financial future is on the line?When Hugo took over this mess they made it clear to everyone they will be be rebuilding this team which was needed badly.They have done a great job and will continue to do so until they feel it's time to turn the corner and attempt to get better aka playoff run . If you can get a top 6 prospect or a 1st round pick or both for Matheson you do so.He is not going to be around when this team contends

Reactions: Habs13

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Habs basically avoided a free fall all year until now. I figured this was likely after the Monahan deal.

Last year, the wheels were falling off after he exited as well.
Habs were playing for .500 without Monahan for 4 games. They haven't won anything since Gally came back from his suspension...

Reactions: Habs13

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
We are acting like he would bring a king's ransom. Yet we complain about how poorly he plays D. Other teams see the same things we do.

But if truly someone is ready to pay a real premium for him, by all means let's do it. Might have to be a 3-way trade were we get back a Chiarot kind of D.

Ideally we would not wait for free agency to replace him. No guarantee someone is available and wants to sign here. And asking Guhle to take all these minutes until the end of the year, or even next, is tempting the injury Devil.

So if it's a trade to just get rid of him, with so-so or just ok value, I don't do it. I live with his mistakes and frustrating moments.
Yeah we want a Kings ransom as if he's a top line Dman on a potential cup team. Potential cup teams would want him as a second pairing guy at best.
The most value to be had would be in an off season deal and even then he still won't bring us enough to fill any major holes including the one he'll leave.
Matheson was given an "A" because he isn't going anywhere our job is to develop someone better than him end of story.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Habs were playing for .500 without Monahan for 4 games. They haven't won anything since Gally came back from his suspension...

Small sample size. It doesn't happen immediately but over the long run, you see the impact. Expect losing at a higher rate moving forward from that deal.

It's especially hard to mask now because dach was already out, so there is no guy gluing the forward depth together after the top line.

HabbyGuy

Apr 10, 2003
Hamilton Ontario
Visit site
Trade Matheson create the hole and see who steps up.....someone will.

And be lambasted for it when they inevitably struggle, and or their development gets stunted.

We needn't worry about Matheson's future. He's doing yeoman's work in context to his capabilities verses what he's been asked to do.

His efforts are not being unappreciated by his coach, GM, or teammates, I assure you.

Last edited:

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Who's job and financial future is on the line?When Hugo took over this mess they made it clear to everyone they will be be rebuilding this team which was needed badly.They have done a great job and will continue to do so until they feel it's time to turn the corner and attempt to get better aka playoff run . If you can get a top 6 prospect or a 1st round pick or both for Matheson you do so.He is not going to be around when this team contends
They need to blow off three or four players this summer to continue the rebuild. I don't think I'll be happy with anything less.
Seriously are we rebuilding or aren't we.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
They need to blow off three or four players this summer to continue the rebuild. I don't think I'll be happy with anything less.
Seriously are we rebuilding or aren't we.
which 3 or 4 players do you have in mind?

And be lambasted for it when they inevitably struggle, and or their development gets stunted.

We needn't worry about Matheson's future. He's doing yeoman's work in context to what he's been asked to do.

His efforts are not going unnoticed by his coach, GM, or teammates, I assure you.
Why couldn't he get the coverages right on the 3rd and 4th goals? Can we really blame that on overusage? Or were they just bad defensive reads?

Nashy

Living on Fish Island
Feb 2, 2006
Toronto

We needn't worry about Matheson's future. He's doing yeoman's work in context to what he's been asked to do.

His efforts are not being unappreciated by his coach, GM, or teammates, I assure you.
Don't confuse efforts with results.....he's being asked to punch above his weight....defensively he just ain't getting done.

What I will appreciate the most about Matheson is the return in a trade....

HabbyGuy

Apr 10, 2003
Hamilton Ontario
Visit site
Don't confuse efforts with results.....he's being asked to punch above his weight....defensively he just ain't getting done.

His efforts is playing 25 minutes a game, playing with a relentless motor and speed. He's also in the top 10 in scoring, results like that do matter.

His effort is clearly there, even if his defense leaves alot to be desired.

Again it's not his fault he's been given this role.

Hopefully one day soon, we finally get a true 1D.

SwiftyHab

Sponsor
Apr 18, 2004
Platinum Member
HUGE game coming up tuesday
1708816838821.jpeg

HabbyGuy

Apr 10, 2003
Hamilton Ontario
Visit site
So trade him while is his value is at peak.

I swear it's like talking to wall on these boards. I've expressed my thoughts on why I wouldn't trade him at this time, until I actually can see what we'd get in the offer.

A 1st rounder ain't it.

He has far more value to us, as we are now, on our team than a draft pick.

If he can get us something better than that, then we can talk.

Even then, I'm not sure how we fill his role. He ain't a 1D but we're not getting one of those via free agency or trade either.

If y'all have a solution to that, other than just trade him cause his value is high, I'm all ears.

His value is high to both us and the market.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rapala

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I skipped hockey today, just a quick question- Xhekaj wasa -2....was he directly responsible for any major mistakes?

Reactions: Runner77

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Team played well overall. A lack of depth at forward is killing them though. There's not much after the 1st line, but Roy is looking good. I think he's a top 9 forward for us next season.

Suzuki & Guhle played terrific games. Guhle was a beast. He was outstanding one on one, and used his good body position & physicality to win puck battles. He's definitely improved since losing his anchor - Barron.

I'm so through with Anderson & his lack of scoring bullshit. Evans gives him a half empty net to shoot at, he shoots wide. He gets a chance in the slot. He shoots over the net. He gets a chance at the side of the net & puts into goalie. Roy sends him on a breakaway and he hits crossbar. Like f*** off, stonehands, seriously.

We played better when Gallagher wasn't in the lineup. This style isn't for him. He played best under restrictive dump-in systems like Therrien & Julien had. This "make plays" style was never his game. It's painful to watch him play hockey.

1st period - boring. It improved from there.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
I skipped hockey today, just a quick question- Xhekaj wasa -2....was he directly responsible for any major mistakes?

Not really. He was on the ice when Newhook left his position to go locate his stick. That left the center of the ice in Montreal's end wide open and New Jersey took advantage.

The game winning goal, Matheson got walked around on the outside, and the player cut in front of Allen to score. Xhekaj just stood there watching. He was close enough and in position to backcheck that player, but didn't.

A player disconnect moment for him. You can't really blame him for the goal, but he can be blamed for not helping.

eklund the clown

Dec 28, 2010
which 3 or 4 players do you have in mind?

Why couldn't he get the coverages right on the 3rd and 4th goals? Can we really blame that on overusage? Or were they just bad defensive reads?
He is as good on offense as he is bad on defense.He is who he is.

I am still a fan but I care less and less as this rebuild moves along.
I am fairly confident that this is the last year of the rebuild.We will contend for playoffs next year.A lot of moves coming before next season.

Reactions: Tyson and Runner77

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad