Post-Game Talk: Habs' joy crushed in Joysey!

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Where to begin …

:laugh:

Andersons shooting % as a Hab last 3-seasons:

13.6%
12.6%
12.8%

This season 6.5%

Cut in half this year after three years of consistency - fair to expect Anderson to be a 20 goal scorer again next year

RandR

May 15, 2011
It's interesting, because we always hear you can't trade Matheson and Savard because of the leadership void that would lead and what they bring to the young dcore. But we never heard that about Monahan, and the stability he brought to the forward corps. I guess it's partly because many wanted to get a good asset for him as soon as possible, given there's always the realistic risk of him going back to having perpetual injury problems.
It was known by management (and suspected by others) that the Habs had committed (or at least planned) in the off season to trading Monahan before the deadline, so it was somewhat a moot point to talk a lot about his ongoing value to the forward corps and it made more sense to speculate about his value as a deadline trade asset. (We will likely see a similar thing a year from now when Savard becomes viewed more as a deadline trade asset.)

I also think that, compared to forwards, it is a lot more of a problem to expose young D to playing too high up in the D rotation and/or not having experienced partners. When forwards are exposed like that it often "just" means they are ineffective, but when D are exposed it more often results in goals against and sometimes ugly score lines.

Reactions: Runner77

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
It was known by management (and suspected by others) that the Habs had committed (or at least planned) in the off season to trading Monahan before the deadline, so it was somewhat a moot point to talk a lot about his ongoing value to the forward corps and it made more sense to speculate about his value as a deadline trade asset. (We will likely see a similar thing a year from now when Savard becomes viewed more as a deadline trade asset.)

I also think that, compared to forwards, it is a lot more of a problem to expose young D to playing too high up in the D rotation and/or not having experienced partners. When forwards are exposed like that it often "just" means they are ineffective, but when D are exposed it more often results in goals against and sometimes ugly score lines.
I would counter that things have been pretty ugly since Monahan was traded, any way you slice it.

It sounds like Monahan wanted to come back, but his salary demands were too high.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Gallagher was one of the first guys to bi*** in 2021 when things went south wanting a move. His contract was unmovable so he had to settle. In what way with how he’s played has he not mailed it in? He’s there to collect a cheque.

I vaguely remember something about this, but it sounds like you're putting on some extra mustard.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Andersons shooting % as a Hab last 3-seasons:

13.6%
12.6%
12.8%

This season 6.5%

Cut in half this year after three years of consistency - fair to expect Anderson to be a 20 goal scorer again next year
Yeah I think it's a down year for him but a couple more goals doesn't really make up for his serious flaws. Hopefully he bounces back to the 20 goalscorer form and we can trade him.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
I vaguely remember something about this, but it sounds like you're putting on some extra mustard.
We’re paying Gallagher 10x what he’s worth. The least he could do is play like he cares. I don’t think I’m exaggerating when I say he’s floated around 50% of the time in the Hughes era. If he was the leader people made him out to be with the previous leadership group under Bergevin, he’d understand his contract is an albatross that keeps him in Montreal and he would try and embrace a role of helping this new generation of players transition.

Reactions: bsl and Habs13

RandR

May 15, 2011
I would counter that things have been pretty ugly since Monahan was traded, any way you slice it.

It sounds like Monahan wanted to come back, but his salary demands were too high.
Indeed, the Habs are embarrassingly thin in terms of forward depth, and losing arguably their 4th and 5th best forwards (Dach first, now Monahan) exposes that big time.

FWIW, I wouldn’t have minded if Monahan was kept, but I am also okay with trading him away for a 1st. Looking at the bright side of that ugliness since the trade, having dropped a couple of spots in the standings could also end up making a big difference in who they get with their own 1st.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
Statistically, you may be right. But Monahan was a valuable vet, stabilizing the lineup, and was a very good pro in the room, from all accounts.
When you get Evans and…? To help when an important face-off is needed from Suzuki, it leaves nothing out there. He was a quality vet. They have nobody now.
It’s not about the stats (although he contributed more than the plugs that are there right now), but about what a true professional, quality vet brings. This squad lacks quality vets. All falls on the kids. Which is the worst way to develop youngins btw.

Yes. Agree. I follow the team via this forum. I have not watched more than 1 full game this year. Aside from the first line (a true first line-to-be and I love it), the rest of the squad is comprised of guys who won’t even be there when it will start to compete. Makes for meh interest on my side.

I follow for: 24-22-20-21-72, trade rumours, the kids in the CHL, NCAA and in Europe, and the upcoming drafts.
You have only watched one game and you have all of these comments. Seriously?

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
1) how are Anderson and Armia going to be gone by TDL??

Sure I'd like to get rid of Dvo and Armia. I'd bring back Monahan. But as of now, it is unlikely Monahan will come back. So who are we going to replace Dvo with?
We're stuck with Gallagher and Anderson, uless we're ready retain 50% on Anderson.

Ok you don't like RHP and Ylonen. I do want to see if they can progress. But if we get young upgrades I won't complain.
Next season not this one.

Reactions: 26Mats and Runner77

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad