Post-Game Talk: Habs' joy crushed in Joysey!

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Or should never have acquired Monahan, if he costs us Celebrini.
Yeah we got two late 1sts, plus his mentorship of the youth. But where would we have been picking this year and last year without him?

The same could be asked of Savard, Montembault, and Matheson.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Tired with the old we deserved better. Just a loser empty talk. You deserve better when you actually do better. Its as if the game of hockey is who deserve more than the other. It's not.

Even if I think that I'm a good guy and not bad looking so I deserve Beyonce....I'm not going to have her......
Rebuilds.............are tough man...

Reactions: Habs13

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
All this Matheson hate is ridiculous.
yup, the drop off after him both in talent and entertainment value is spectacular. I hope he keeps pushing offense until habs have an actual nhl squad to go with the 1st line (of which they have 2/3) and the whopping 2 vets on defence. Habs don’t even have a hockey team right now, wtf are people going on about.

Reactions: HabbyGuy

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
The thing is, nobody else on the defensive squad can do anything offensively. I love Guhle but he's doing absolutely nothing offensively. Xhekaj has a bomb of a shot but he's still not good offensively. Until Hutson/Mailloux come in, we aren't going to have anybody to help out offensively like Matheson even though he's heavily flawed.
None of them are able to do anything Matheson does. These “maybe those few other guys that have never even played a game in the nhl yet” talks are essentially all there is - wishful thinking (and I am not hyped at all for any of them); it’s kinda sad.

• Haha
Reactions: Boss Man Hughes

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Going too far, I wouldn't say that. They with team we floundering

If you add back Monahan, but take away those guys, the team flounders, I would project.

But yes, of Monahan, Matheson, Savard, and Montembault, I would probably say Monahan is the most valuable. But Sam and Matheson could make a case, Sam in particular. Matheson needs to tighten it up defensively. So it probably is Monahan.

It's interesting, because we always hear you can't trade Matheson and Savard because of the leadership void that would lead and what they bring to the young dcore. But we never heard that about Monahan, and the stability he brought to the forward corps. I guess it's partly because many wanted to get a good asset for him as soon as possible, given there's always the realistic risk of him going back to having perpetual injury problems.

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
Yes, but at the same time. They have to provide entertainment to the people that are paying their hard earned cash to watch the games. It's easy for us to sit in our livingrooms saying to make this move or that move. It's a much tougher decision to make when your job and financial future are on the line.
Cheers, there was even a poster calling me out for being “entitled” at my comments pro hockey is entertainment and should be evaluated as such.

Scoring more goals than the other team is every hockey game ever played. By 4 year olds in the back yard and every beer league pick up game.

Pro hockey (the type we have to pay to watch) = 100% entertainment and nothing else.

The only 2 players I would have gladly given a dime to watch in the last 25 years are Kovalev and Pk. It’s been a sad clown show.

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
Who's job and financial future is on the line?When Hugo took over this mess they made it clear to everyone they will be be rebuilding this team which was needed badly.They have done a great job and will continue to do so until they feel it's time to turn the corner and attempt to get better aka playoff run . If you can get a top 6 prospect or a 1st round pick or both for Matheson you do so.He is not going to be around when this team contends
Maybe wait until they contend to even watch then, what’s the point?

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
If you add back Monahan, but take away those guys, the team flounders, I would project.

But yes, of Monahan, Matheson, Savard, and Montembault, I would probably say Monahan is the most valuable. But Sam and Matheson could make a case, Sam in particular. Matheson needs to tighten it up defensively. So it probably is Monahan.

It's interesting, because we always hear you can't trade Matheson and Savard because of the leadership void that would lead and what they bring to the young dcore. But we never heard that about Monahan, and the stability he brought to the forward corps. I guess it's partly because many wanted to get a good asset for him as soon as possible, given there's always the realistic risk of him going back to having perpetual injury problems.
Who says we can't trade Savard? We 100% should trade Savard.

digmor crusher

Jul 11, 2009
Missed this one. Actually seems like I didn't miss anything. The schedule this year has been by far the worst I've ever seen since I started watching the games. It used to be Tuesday-thursday-saturday and I don't remember having seen two consecutive weeks like that this year.

As far as the Habs, I don't mind rebuilding but I don't think I can tolerate 2 more years of that. It's more likely I'll drift out of hockey altogether.
Yup, you should probably watch another sport with that attitude.

Cheers, there was even a poster calling me out for being “entitled” at my comments pro hockey is entertainment and should be evaluated as such.

Scoring more goals than the other team is every hockey game ever played. By 4 year olds in the back yard and every beer league pick up game.

Pro hockey (the type we have to pay to watch) = 100% entertainment and nothing else.

The only 2 players I would have gladly given a dime to watch in the last 25 years are Kovalev and Pk. It’s been a sad clown show.
Funny, I watch to watch my team, players come and go, could care less about which ones entertain me.

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
Yup, you should probably watch another sport with that attitude.

Funny, I watch to watch my team, players come and go, could care less about which ones entertain me.
I often think I am just conditionned to watch at this point to. I have more fun playing with my cats than watching most habs games, yet I pay Bell money to watch them. It’s like my Netflix subscription I keep renewing even though no way there are even 3-4 movies a month I’d watch on it anymore. In case ther is another pandemic, you can never be too sure.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Rebuilds.............are tough man...
Never my point. I'm fine with rebuilding. Call it that way. Enough with the we deserve better. We don't. 'Cause we are not good enough. Of course, as a coach, you can't say that. But you can say that the team you have in hands is giving you the best they can. But deserving better? Nope.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
You just know Anderson and Gallagher are bitching the most about losing and they’re two of the most overpaid useless bums in the league.
Gallagher isn't a bum. He sacrificed his body for the team for many years and was underpaid for doing so. His body is now shot, and now he's getting the other end of the stick - more money than what he's giving on the ice, instead of the less money for the more he was giving.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Gallagher isn't a bum. He sacrificed his body for the team for many years and was underpaid for doing so. His body is now shot, and now he's getting the other end of the stick - more money than what he's giving on the ice, instead of the less money for the more he was giving.
Wouldn’t be against paying Gally for past services if it weren’t a cap league. Paying him more as per his current contract will also handcuff the team when it’ll be ready to spend on high level talent or may even force a buyout.

Last edited:
Reactions: nhlfan9191

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Never my point. I'm fine with rebuilding.
Me too for the simple reason that we’ve tried other approaches and failed over the past 30 years. I still have vomit residue from watching all those undersized, soft teams and DD as your no. 1 centre. And giving away futures for so many scrubs and replacement level players.

Some of it is a domino effect of certain choices having been made, like drafting Price over Kopitar.

But, with our luck, we’d have probably taken Brulé, so there’s that.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia

Noticable downtick in team since Monahan trade. Those guys still here and we floundering. Team is mess actually. Sounds like not only Monahan stats but his presence in dressing room were factors

Interesting argument if better to not touch Monahan, along with others, and draft Fantilli and Celebrini or acquire Monahan for development and draft Reinbacher and Catton?

Reactions: 26Mats

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
I mean, as frustrating as their poor play is, it remains fair to say they are putting in the work and being good pro's... None of the vets are mailing it in or otherwise creating off ice issues
Gallagher was one of the first guys to bi*** in 2021 when things went south wanting a move. His contract was unmovable so he had to settle. In what way with how he’s played has he not mailed it in? He’s there to collect a cheque.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Noticable downtick in team since Monahan trade. Those guys still here and we floundering. Team is mess actually. Sounds like not only Monahan stats but his presence in dressing room were factors

Interesting argument if better to not touch Monahan, along with others, and draft Fantilli and Celebrini or acquire Monahan for development and draft Reinbacher and Catton?

Yes, I'm all for the full tank, like Chicago did. But it's not the path we chose.

And so far finishing last would have been Carlsson plus whoever finishes last drafts this year (not necessarily 1st overall). So it's Reinbacher versus Carlsson, and whoever we draft this year versus whoever is drafted by whoever finishes last this year, plus the two 1sts we got for Monahan, plus the mentorship Monahan provided.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Wouldn’t be against paying Gally for past services if it weren’t a cap league. Paying him more as per his current contract will also handcuff the team when it’ll be ready to spend on high level talent or may even force a buyout.
Yes, the contract is bad, but the player isn't a bum. Though the GM that gave it to him is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad