Post-Game Talk: Habs' joy crushed in Joysey!

Nashy

Living on Fish Island
Feb 2, 2006
Toronto
I swear it's like talking to wall on these boards. I've expressed my thoughts on why I wouldn't trade him at this time, until I actually can see what we'd get in the offer.

A 1st rounder ain't it.

He has far more value to us, as we are now, on our team than a draft pick.

If he can get us something better than that, then we can talk.

Even then, I'm not sure how we fill his role. He ain't a 1D but we're not getting one of those via free agency or trade either.

If y'all have a solution to that, other than just trade him cause his value is high, I'm all ears.

His value is high to both us and the market.
Well stop banging your head....trade him...Habs will suck next year regardless....he ain't teaching any of the kids anything.

Trabdy2

Nov 30, 2018
Matheson is our most capable puck mover and gives our forwards the most chances to play offense and develop that area of their game. Sure he costs us goals with his mistakes, but it's his play driving that we need right now to help our players learn and grow their game.

We don't need to win right now, we just need our players to have the right opportunities to develop.

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
Who's job and financial future is on the line?When Hugo took over this mess they made it clear to everyone they will be be rebuilding this team which was needed badly.They have done a great job and will continue to do so until they feel it's time to turn the corner and attempt to get better aka playoff run . If you can get a top 6 prospect or a 1st round pick or both for Matheson you do so.He is not going to be around when this team contends
The team is competitive now. Meaning the games are mostly entertaining, win or lose. I'd like to see if they'd be singing the same tune when attendance would drop. If we went on a 10+ game losing streak. We're not the Leafs, where their fans are there regardless.

I agree, they have done a great job. Part of the reason they've done a great job is they've allowed the young kids to progress in a reasonable time frame. A player like Matheson helps allow the team to do so.

I'm not against moving any player if the end result is it helps our team continue to get better. A late 1st and a B prospect is probably all we can expect. For me it's not worth it.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
He is as good on offense as he is bad on defense.He is who he is.

I am fairly confident that this is the last year of the rebuild.We will contend for playoffs next year.A lot of moves coming before next season.

What kind of moves do you think?

Sign a 3c to replace Monahan? Trade for you g top six forward?
The biggest and most important addition will be Kirby Dach.

I don't see mich else. The dcore is saturated and we still have dvo and Armia on the books.

Nicko999

Jan 23, 2008
Montreal
I see people hating on Matheson yet again!!! Why?
We got him for Petry so it's not like we gave huge assets to get him. We are a tanking team and Matheson is definitely a short term #1 D until the team is competitive.
On top of that he provides the little entertainment this season whether it's good or bad.
I do think we should trade him if the right offer was there (1st rounder + A- prospect) but people need to realize, the team would have an offense that is at Hawks/Sharks level bad without him.

larek

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Thot Jackeye played well
Suzuki got a couple - the line played better
Good enuff for me
Dive For Five!!!!!

I see people hating on Matheson yet again!!! Why?
We got him for Petry so it's not like we gave huge assets to get him. We are a tanking team and Matheson is definitely a short term #1 D until the team is competitive.
On top of that he provides the little entertainment this season whether it's good or bad.
I do think we should trade him if the right offer was there (1st rounder + A- prospect) but people need to realize, the team would have an offense that is at Hawks/Sharks level bad without him.
Unless can get exactly what they want which u hope is what most here want
You keep him he's decent salary and does thing good and bad but does provide production!

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
We will never know how the others could do offensively cause Mattheson plays 53 minutes a game and all PP1 time...

Coach dividing ice time for rest of D like:

no-more-unemployment-checks-mickey-mouse.gif

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Small sample size. It doesn't happen immediately but over the long run, you see the impact. Expect losing at a higher rate moving forward from that deal.

It's especially hard to mask now because dach was already out, so there is no guy gluing the forward depth together after the top line.
You are exaggerating Monahan's impact at 5v5 on the team this year. You seems to have forgotten how awful he looked back in Nov/December outside of the power play. Monahan was doing well when playing with some of Slaf/CC/Suzuki/Newhook/Roy, not so much without them. The depth has been unproductive all season long, it's nothing new.

The last 5 loses are the result of the dzone play being shit, especially, on the PK. They are letting in like x2 the amount of goals per TOI as the they were pre-Gallagher return. Monahan didn't play enough PK to pin its collapse on his departure.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
You are exaggerating Monahan's impact at 5v5 on the team this year. You seems to have forgotten how awful he looked back in Nov/December outside of the power play. Monahan was doing well when playing with some of Slaf/CC/Suzuki/Newhook/Roy, not so much without them. The depth has been unproductive all season long, it's nothing new.

The last 5 loses are the result of the dzone play being shit, especially, on the PK. They are letting in like x2 the amount of goals per TOI as the they were pre-Gallagher return. Monahan didn't play enough PK to pin its collapse on his departure.

Well, I didn't mention 5 on 5 specifically. I'm talking the painting as a whole, including the off ice impact

Neither did I say he was consistent for the whole season. You can't say that about anyone on the club, really.

Let it ride out and the Habs will find even more ways to lose. It's to nobody's surprise the timing of this slide

Reactions: dinodebino

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
One of Dvo or Evans, Pezetta, Ylonen, and Allen to start with.
A couple of more guys can go at TDL.
These are easy free ups IMO.
Free ups for who to come in?

For sure I'd want Monahan back as the 3c. But Pez is 13th forward. it's either Allen or Primeau as the backup. And I'd rather try Ylonen on the 4th line over a vet like Armia. But right now it's one of the two.
You're talking about the backup goalie, and his replacement is already here, the 13th forward, a 4th line winger, and the 3c.

Depth chart right now for 2024-2025:
Caufield - Suzuki - Slaf
Newhook - Dach - Roy
RHP - Dvo - Anderson
Gallagher - Evans - Armia/Ylonen
Pez

Matheson - Guhle
Struble - Savard
Xhekaj - Barron
Harris/Kovacevic

Montembault
Allen/Primeau

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I skipped hockey today, just a quick question- Xhekaj wasa -2....was he directly responsible for any major mistakes?
Not specifically but by association. The pathetic man v man concept is far more responsible than any given player. Carbonneau was harping on it again. It's okay to use it in specific instances but to use it as a main staple is just plain DUMB. Invariably someone screws up and then like a house of cards everything falls apart. One of the goals was a weak tap in on a weak play towards the net that Arber eats for breakfast if he's playing positional hockey owning his ice and blocking out the forward. Of course he was busy elsewhere covering a player who was no threat at all.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Better players. Some internally some via trades. These guys will not be hard to replace. If Kent Hughes thinks they are he needs a new job.
You're talking about the backup goalie, and his replacement is already here, the 13th forward, a 4th line winger, and the 3c.

Caufield - Suzuki - Slaf
Newhook - Dach - Roy
RHP - Dvo - Anderson
Pez

Matheson - Guhle
Struble - Savard
Xhekaj - Barron
Harris/Kovacevic

Montembault
Allen/Primeau

McGees

Jun 15, 2016

Caufield - Suzuki - Slaf
Newhook - Dach - Roy
RHP - Dvo - Anderson
Pez

Matheson - Guhle
Struble - Savard
Xhekaj - Barron
Harris/Kovacevic

Montembault
Allen/Primeau
I’d like to get rid of that entire bottom 6.
Woof.

Reactions: Runner77

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
I am still a fan but I care less and less as this rebuild moves along.
There's always hope, but without trying to temper any of the pages of enthusiasm that fill many threads that discuss players and prospects, I have come to the conclusion that this rebuild is far from over. I think that there will be 2-3 more years of what we are seeing now. It's necessary but hard to stomach and there are many times when I feel like watching from a distance and coming back when things are better.

Reactions: Tyson and Runner77

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017

Statistically, you may be right. But Monahan was a valuable vet, stabilizing the lineup, and was a very good pro in the room, from all accounts.
When you get Evans and…? To help when an important face-off is needed from Suzuki, it leaves nothing out there. He was a quality vet. They have nobody now.
It’s not about the stats (although he contributed more than the plugs that are there right now), but about what a true professional, quality vet brings. This squad lacks quality vets. All falls on the kids. Which is the worst way to develop youngins btw.

There's always hope, but without trying to temper any of the pages of enthusiasm that fill many threads that discuss players and prospects, I have come to the conclusion that this rebuild is far from over. I think that there will be 2-3 more years of what we are seeing now. It's necessary but hard to stomach and there are many times when I feel like watching from a distance and coming back when things are better.
Yes. Agree. I follow the team via this forum. I have not watched more than 1 full game this year. Aside from the first line (a true first line-to-be and I love it), the rest of the squad is comprised of guys who won’t even be there when it will start to compete. Makes for meh interest on my side.

I follow for: 24-22-20-21-72, trade rumours, the kids in the CHL, NCAA and in Europe, and the upcoming drafts.

Last edited:

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Statistically, you may be right. But Monahan was a valuable vet, stabilizing the lineup, and was a very good pro in the room, from all accounts.
When you get Evans and…? To help when an important face-off is needed from Suzuki, it leaves nothing out there. He was a quality vet. They have nobody now.
It’s not about the stats (although he contributed more than the plugs that are there right now), but about what a true professional, quality vet brings. This squad lacks quality vets. All falls on the kids. Which is the worst way to develop youngins btw.

Yes. Agree. I follow the team via this forum. I have not watched more than 1 full game this year. Aside from the first line (a true first line-to-be and I love it), the rest of the squad is comprised of guys who won’t even be there when it will start to compete. Makes for meh interest on my side.
You from your fancy toilet and I from the vantage of my comfy bed share a common belief lol. Some of the best thought processes come from both locations lol. I'm kidding of course but we must allow those around us to have something to lighten their days lol.

The truth is that even though we have a good(not great) prospect pool we won't know how most of those talents will adapt to the next level and one thing is for sure, it will take time. Those that look like sure bets might not even make an impact and it is also worth noting that injuries and failure to live up to promise might dictate the way things look two years from now. This year is over save for the remaining games and a top 5 pick is a certainty but the time will come when stockpiling picks will have to yield results or Molson will want trades that move the team to playoff contention.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
This is the shit that won't cut it.
NOT GOOD ENOUGH
Unfortunately we are stuck with Gallagher. Anderson and Armia will be gone by TDL.
I've got little use for any of the others Including RHP.
I’d like to get rid of that entire bottom 6.
Woof.

1) how are Anderson and Armia going to be gone by TDL??

Sure I'd like to get rid of Dvo and Armia. I'd bring back Monahan. But as of now, it is unlikely Monahan will come back. So who are we going to replace Dvo with?
We're stuck with Gallagher and Anderson, uless we're ready retain 50% on Anderson.

Ok you don't like RHP and Ylonen. I do want to see if they can progress. But if we get young upgrades I won't complain.

Last edited:

AlexGretzchenvid

Jan 19, 2013
I don’t think the Joy was crushed in this game at all.

I think any fan of this organization should be estatic about picking 4 times in the next 2 years in the first round. Every loss right now is a win in learning the NHL.

Habs13

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
The team is competitive now. Meaning the games are mostly entertaining, win or lose. I'd like to see if they'd be singing the same tune when attendance would drop. If we went on a 10+ game losing streak. We're not the Leafs, where their fans are there regardless.

I agree, they have done a great job. Part of the reason they've done a great job is they've allowed the young kids to progress in a reasonable time frame. A player like Matheson helps allow the team to do so.

I'm not against moving any player if the end result is it helps our team continue to get better. A late 1st and a B prospect is probably all we can expect. For me it's not worth it.
We've played maybe two entertaining games so far this season. That's it. The team is not at all competitive. You wrote that after this competitive team extending its loosing steak to five games!

Mario Lemieux fan 66

Nov 2, 2012
I am fairly confident that this is the last year of the rebuild.We will contend for playoffs next year.A lot of moves coming before next season.
Everything would need to be perfect for the Habs to make the playoff next year:

1- Draft Celebrini and he leaves college and he is a calder contender with 50 + points.

2- All the key players avoid injuries and play 85 % of the games ( Celebrini, Dach, Suzuki, Slaf, Caufield, Matheson, Savard, Guhle, Montembault). It's not impossible but unlikely.

3- Matheson and Savard are not trade before next year trade deadline.

4- One of Mailloux, Hutson or Reinbacher contend with Celebrini for the calder and help to improve the powerplay.

5- Habs had another top 6 forward either via trade or UFA.

6- Montembault plays like a decent number 1 goalie.

For next year drafting outside of the top 10 would be a victory and i am not sure they will be good enough to accomplish that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad