Gulp - Crow back to IR (vertigo-like symptoms, may be out for the season)

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Why is he not on LTIR at this point?

My understanding, which could be way off, is that you can't bank LTIR and that the Hawks think he is coming back this year. So if you put him on LTIR, you could use the space until he comes back, but once he does, the LTIR space goes away and they would have to be under the cap again. So there's really no reason to put him on, unless they don't think he's coming back at all this year.

Someone can correct me if that's wrong.

Last edited:
Reactions: CallMeShaft

G0AT

Jun 1, 2014
Chicago
Came here to post about Crow... Just a shame. Gotta feel for him. Vertigo is serious business.

puterwiz53

Nov 17, 2010
Saint John, New Brunswick
If his vertigo is bad enough, there is the possibility that it could be the end of his career. They need to make a decision soon to put him on LTIR if need be to free up the cap space before the trade deadline. Not so sure they need to go after another goalie but rather a tougher stay at home defense man to tighten up the defense and also a decent size 3rd line center who can win faceoffs. Praying the best for Craw and that he indeed has a speedy recovery and back playing for the Hawks.

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
If his vertigo is bad enough, there is the possibility that it could be the end of his career. They need to make a decision soon to put him on LTIR if need be to free up the cap space before the trade deadline. Not so sure they need to go after another goalie but rather a tougher stay at home defense man to tighten up the defense and also a decent size 3rd line center who can win faceoffs. Praying the best for Craw and that he indeed has a speedy recovery and back playing for the Hawks.

Are you actually praying or is this just a cliche saying?

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Awful news. And given the mismanagement over the last vertigo diagnosis by the team, my confidence isn't very high. Hope he's getting the best of care and makes a full and expedient recovery.

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
He was having the best year, if this is true you just hope he can get past it and resume his career.

He should not be brought back this year. Stick a fork in this season, its done. Just dedicate the remainder of the year to developing the young guys and maybe look to sell at the deadline.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Why couldn't it be alcoholism....

Outside of him dying or him breaking some huge law or him losing an appendage, this is maybe the worst case scenario.

Reactions: CourtneyDagger50

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
giphy.gif

This ended Jeff Hackett’s career, Hiller was never the same, I just hope he can recover for his own sake but this is a devastating situation for an NHL goalie to be dealing with. I can’t believe this happened. Man has this team had a lot of bad luck since the last Cup. There is a lot uncertainty going into next year now too. And the cap implications, holy hell. We have to deal with Hossa and Seabs already. Add this on top of it and what the hell are you supposed to do?

Last edited:

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
Why couldn't it be alcoholism....

Outside of him dying or him breaking some huge law or him losing an appendage, this is maybe the worst case scenario.
I don’t even know what to say to this. Alcoholism is a lifelong disease which variably can be life threatening on many levels. I’d wish it on no one. That being said, there are many worse medical and life scenarios than vertigo that Mr. Crawford could face.

Let’s just hope that there’s no diagnosable cause for it aside from primary vertigo, that it’s not secondary to concussion or other neurologic disease, and that it responds to treatment.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010

Just roll with Forsberg, Glass and Berube. We have to see if one of these guys can start next year just in case. Maybe see if Nalimov wants to come over after the KHL season is over. They should not be trading for anyone. Hell, they should think about moving the pending UFAs.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
I don’t even know what to say to this. Alcoholism is a lifelong disease which variably can be life threatening on many levels. I’d wish it on no one. That being said, there are many worse medical and life scenarios than vertigo that Mr. Crawford could face.

Let’s just hope that there’s no diagnosable cause for it aside from primary vertigo, that it’s not secondary to concussion or other neurologic disease, and that it responds to treatment.
A. The comment was made somewhat in jest.
B. Vertigo is hell. Unless the cause is something minor (like an ear infection), he'd be better off having several forms of cancer (provided early stages) than having vertigo. But the the fact that it's been all this time and the Hawks don't think he'll return makes it very likely that it isn't just a little infection affecting him. Like you said, it could be concussion issues or it could be a neurological disease (like losing Bickell to MS wasn't bad enough, imagine throwing Crow into the mix as well).

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
Just when he was having his best season and actually earning his money for once this happens. Maybe they will trade Darling to the Hawks with 50% cap retention, I would take a crack at him...

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
If Crawford's days of being a top 10 goalie are over, then how should the Hawks proceed? At what point do they consider a rebuild? It seems the core that won the 3 Cups are falling apart. Is there any resurgence possible, or are they done until the huge contracts are off the books?

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Honestly if Crawford is indeed out for the year, I don't see the point in going after a rental goalie.
Going for a cheap rental to make a push for the playoffs is still important. Even if we get bounced in the first round, at least we give the young guys some needed playoff experience. It's not like we would have a legit shot at winning the draft lottery if we missed the playoffs.

And you know what they say about the playoffs, "you never know what can happen".

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
Honestly if Crawford is indeed out for the year, I don't see the point in going after a rental goalie.

That makes no sense, if you want a good goalie for the playoffs then maybe you should go for a rental, I don' want to lose assets but you have to improve the position ESPECIALLY that Crawford is out...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad