Gulp - Crow back to IR (vertigo-like symptoms, may be out for the season)

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
It is hindsight but when it happens again, it’s just him doing it again.

If we are talking about last year, he didn't play well after returning, that everyone agrees with. But you said that he clearly came back to early and unless you have some knowledge that I don't, that is just speculation. He didn't play well, therefore he must have come back early. That's a leap you are making. It's just as likely that he came back at the proper time but struggled to find his game after being off for 3 weeks. What you're saying is of course possible, but without any evidence to support it, it's just a guess.

Similarly, this year he had an LBI and people on hear worried about him coming back to early. He played great for 5 games (7 GA in 5 wins), then had 2 bad games. So I don't know how you can say he came back too early if he played great for 5 games. Once again, you are making a leap that isn't supported by anything but speculation.

Also, the first injury this season was reported as an LBI while this one was reported as an UBI, so it doesn't seem to be the same injury.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
If we are talking about last year, he didn't play well after returning, that everyone agrees with. But you said that he clearly came back to early and unless you have some knowledge that I don't, that is just speculation. He didn't play well, therefore he must have come back early. That's a leap you are making. It's just as likely that he came back at the proper time but struggled to find his game after being off for 3 weeks. What you're saying is of course possible, but without any evidence to support it, it's just a guess.

Similarly, this year he had an LBI and people on hear worried about him coming back to early. He played great for 5 games (7 GA in 5 wins), then had 2 bad games. So I don't know how you can say he came back too early if he played great for 5 games. Once again, you are making a leap that isn't supported by anything but speculation.

Also, the first injury this season was reported as an LBI while this one was reported as an UBI, so it doesn't seem to be the same injury.

Yeah, honestly, I hate to even say anything bad about the guy. There's just a lot of conflicting thoughts about Crow for me. On the one hand, he carries this team. On the other, to what, exactly? If this is a lottery team, they should cash in this season for their lottery pick. Then you have the fact he’ll be coming up for an extension in 2 years, not too old to still be a top goalie but probably too old for a long term deal. Then you have cap considerations with the young guys coming up at the same time. It’s tough. It’s not at all his fault the team isn’t a contender but I just don’t know what purpose he serves at this point. I’d kinda like to do right by him and send him to a better team while he is playing this good. In all honesty, I’m looking for reasons to move him because I don’t think resigning him long term is best for the team. If we keep him, just let him walk after thus contract, unless he is willing to take around 3M, in which case you can justify having him as the backup if someone takes his spot. The goaltending made last years team into fool’s gold and we don’t need any more of that. We’ll see what happens, we’re only halfway through the season, many different things could change to make them a contender.

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
Yeah, honestly, I hate to even say anything bad about the guy. There's just a lot of conflicting thoughts about Crow for me. On the one hand, he carries this team. On the other, to what, exactly? If this is a lottery team, they should cash in this season for their lottery pick. Then you have the fact he’ll be coming up for an extension in 2 years, not too old to still be a top goalie but probably too old for a long term deal. Then you have cap considerations with the young guys coming up at the same time. It’s tough. It’s not at all his fault the team isn’t a contender but I just don’t know what purpose he serves at this point. I’d kinda like to do right by him and send him to a better team while he is playing this good. In all honesty, I’m looking for reasons to move him because I don’t think resigning him long term is best for the team. If we keep him, just let him walk after thus contract, unless he is willing to take around 3M, in which case you can justify having him as the backup if someone takes his spot. The goaltending made last years team into fool’s gold and we don’t need any more of that. We’ll see what happens, we’re only halfway through the season, many different things could change to make them a contender.
I'd like to think he's the type of goaltender, who as proven this year, bails the team out more often than not.

You'd want that kind of netminder in the net to cover for rookie mistakes of guys like El Gato and Forsling. Ditto for other incoming rookies like Snuggie and The Joker when they get their shot. The skater core can't cover for them anymore (they can't even cover for themselves).

The fact remains is that we're stuck with the core for 5 more years. TKKS are signed through and likley aren't going anywhere (barring a potential compliance buyout for Seabs). Further, they're likley not going to get better. Kane may have up years and Toews should have up years (I'm still waiting for Toews' 1st up year on his deal), but Keith and Seabs are def. on the downslide and Kane and Toews might be WYSIWYG. That is going to hurt re-signing guys. The sweet spot will be about 2 years down the road when you'll have players starting their ELC's that will come up when TKKS are being pushed out.

I think the smart play is this: if you can jettison other high-priced talent who's not doing as well (Saad, Ani, Murph), you do so 1st. The timeline for players coming in to be the next core is now until right about when Crawford is up. In the meanwhile you lean on him to cover any growling pains.

Reactions: ColdSteel2

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
I'd like to think he's the type of goaltender, who as proven this year, bails the team out more often than not.

You'd want that kind of netminder in the net to cover for rookie mistakes of guys like El Gato and Forsling. Ditto for other incoming rookies like Snuggie and The Joker when they get their shot. The skater core can't cover for them anymore (they can't even cover for themselves).

The fact remains is that we're stuck with the core for 5 more years. TKKS are signed through and likley aren't going anywhere (barring a potential compliance buyout for Seabs). Further, they're likley not going to get better. Kane may have up years and Toews should have up years (I'm still waiting for Toews' 1st up year on his deal), but Keith and Seabs are def. on the downslide and Kane and Toews might be WYSIWYG. That is going to hurt re-signing guys. The sweet spot will be about 2 years down the road when you'll have players starting their ELC's that will come up when TKKS are being pushed out.

I think the smart play is this: if you can jettison other high-priced talent who's not doing as well (Saad, Ani, Murph), you do so 1st. The timeline for players coming in to be the next core is now until right about when Crawford is up. In the meanwhile you lean on him to cover any growling pains.

Great point on the confidence factor, hadn’t thought about that. And these D-men coming up are green to say the least.

Reactions: LordKOTL

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
Great point on the confidence factor, hadn’t thought about that. And these D-men coming up are green to say the least.

True, but Keith and Seabs were the worst blueliners we iced last night. Kempny and Forsling has a few gaffes themselves so don't think I'm absolving the youth, but right now I don't think we can rely on 2 and 7 to do the heavy lifting.

Forsberg wasn't horrible; any goalie would have a difficult job tracking the puck if all he saw was Brent "The Refrigerator" Seabrook's buttcheeks staring him in the face.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
True, but Keith and Seabs were the worst blueliners we iced last night. Kempny and Forsling has a few gaffes themselves so don't think I'm absolving the youth, but right now I don't think we can rely on 2 and 7 to do the heavy lifting.

Forsberg wasn't horrible; any goalie would have a difficult job tracking the puck if all he saw was Brent "The Refrigerator" Seabrook's buttcheeks staring him in the face.
where as you are stating that Seabs and Keith were the worst. i really thought that Rutta and Murph were. Rutta's play as of late has not been too impressive. i believe i may have pointed those mistakes out when it was done or later. in the game. here is where it comes to the confidence factor you were mention. his lack of experience and maybe too confident in his promotion. or maybe he is not a #1-2 pairing d-man.

ref to Murph, he was tooooooo quick to flip from defense to offense and started to skate up the ice. it was to the point where it was noticeable when the play stop and Murph was out of position.

lastly Kane really do not know how to backcheck. 2 goals yesterday, he was in front of the player getting the pass and he stood there. pull the youtube tapes and see it.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
where as you are stating that Seabs and Keith were the worst. i really thought that Rutta and Murph were. Rutta's play as of late has not been too impressive. i believe i may have pointed those mistakes out when it was done or later. in the game. here is where it comes to the confidence factor you were mention. his lack of experience and maybe too confident in his promotion. or maybe he is not a #1-2 pairing d-man.

ref to Murph, he was tooooooo quick to flip from defense to offense and started to skate up the ice. it was to the point where it was noticeable when the play stop and Murph was out of position.

lastly Kane really do not know how to backcheck. 2 goals yesterday, he was in front of the player getting the pass and he stood there. pull the youtube tapes and see it.

I have no idea what you are talking about with Murphy.

Rutta has struggled a bit since coming back, not surprising considering why he was out.

Panzerspitze

Mar 4, 2010
Yeah, honestly, I hate to even say anything bad about the guy. There's just a lot of conflicting thoughts about Crow for me. On the one hand, he carries this team. On the other, to what, exactly? If this is a lottery team, they should cash in this season for their lottery pick. Then you have the fact he’ll be coming up for an extension in 2 years, not too old to still be a top goalie but probably too old for a long term deal.

Seabrook [contract] II? My philosophy is "sell high" while you can.

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can

If a goalie can't look past a single player in his view, said goalie won't last long at the NHL level. Didn't matter who was in nets last night however. Hawks so-called system of watching the puck in front of their crease is pathetic to watch. Canucks standing around all night wondering why they aren't being covered.

Even as a casual fan, this team is depressing me.

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
If a goalie can't look past a single player in his view, said goalie won't last long at the NHL level. Didn't matter who was in nets last night however. Hawks so-called system of watching the puck in front of their crease is pathetic to watch. Canucks standing around all night wondering why they aren't being covered.

Even as a casual fan, this team is depressing me.
While I agree that all goalies do have to try and look past players blocking them, it was more a comment against Seabrook and him moving his barrel-arse out of the way. He wasn't setting a block so he was setting a screen and it wasn't the 1st time that has happened this year either. Either go for the block or move just enough to give the netminder a view of the puck and not your turd-cutter.

I agree 100% on the picnicking while the opposition camps in the crease. That needed to stop back in 2012.

varano

Jun 27, 2013
I don't mean to beat a dead horse, but aside from attempting to trade a bad contract, trading any goalie with term is probably the most difficult task for any GM. Elite teams don't need a starter, great teams that are a starter away likely don't have cap space, middling teams are usually more than a goalie away from being a contender, and rebuilding teams shouldn't want to mortgage their future by giving away picks or prospects for a goalie.
Great post

Reactions: Robsker

Backyard Hockey

Dealing With It
Feb 13, 2015
I hope he isn't rushed back. Looks like he was last go round.

He was not good last season after his return as I argued many times. He's been the best player on the Hawks all season

Body of work is too small to be definitively bytvfrom what I've seen, Glass should be the starter until Crow returns

Rollyb

Jan 10, 2017

He was not good last season after his return as I argued many times. He's been the best player on the Hawks all season

Body of work is too small to be definitively bytvfrom what I've seen, Glass should be the starter until Crow returns
Maybe the Hawks will have to rush him back in order to make the playoffs

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL

Source?

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
Maybe the Hawks will have to rush him back in order to make the playoffs

The 'hawks are 2 points out of a wildcard and 1 point off from being the cellar of the Central.

I think the priorities are wrong if Crawford has to be rushed back and play injured. With the core we have the team should be able to tread water at least in a wildcard spot without Crawford. We're not, and Kane's the only other core member (outside of Crawford) who has numbers even remotely elite per their role.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN

Glass should 100% not be the starter.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Glass is a nice story, but he's been fortunate to have gotten the results he has. There several times a game that he's been completely swimming but it hasn't cost him.

Hawks need to just ride the hot goalie, whoever that may be, until Crow comes back. My guess is that won't be Glass.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
The 'hawks are 2 points out of a wildcard and 1 point off from being the cellar of the Central.

I think the priorities are wrong if Crawford has to be rushed back and play injured. With the core we have the team should be able to tread water at least in a wildcard spot without Crawford. We're not, and Kane's the only other core member (outside of Crawford) who has numbers even remotely elite per their role.

Yeah, the team has done well in the past when Crow has been injured. If this is them stepping it up, and I think it is, then there is no need for anyone to be playing hurt. There are just too many young players right now and all it takes is for one or two of them to make a few mistakes each game and they’re in the back of the net. It’s totally understandable but the W/L record does not fully reflect the great progress that has been made. Just let things happen naturally and see how it goes.

The lack of consistency from some of the veterans tells us we could probably do well to miss the playoffs if it does go that way. Light the fire back up and take a long summer off to adjust their game and training to be more helpful next year. Overall, like you said, Kane and Crawford are the only ones that came back on a mission. Keith and Toews have to be better next year. I think we can reduce Keith’s minutes and see a nice spike in his play. He’s still around his 25 min per game career average. Next year we’ll have more depth on D and can get that down to 21-22 min.

Reactions: LordKOTL

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
Coming up on three weeks in a few days, and no mention of a return date. The silence is deafening. Glad the team is treading water, but Crow definitely needs to be back.

crazyhawk

Apr 8, 2011
In the Hills
^^ The silence is indeed deafening! Has there been no word at all about what is ailing Crow? It says upper body so do we assume concussion? Or is it actually upper body?

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
Has to be a concussion, otherwise there would be some kind of a return schedule, I am almost certain it’s that...

migi

Feb 25, 2015
The last injury was his groin I think. At least lower-body injury. Now it's upper-body but I don't recall anything which could've lead to concussion? Obviously dont know if he hit his head in some concert or in home but..

It's really mysterious.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad